Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2013 10:47 pm  #201

Re: Recruiting

duq81, the Levin kid reminded me of Jerry Lucas, although I'm sure most guys won't know who I'm talking about. Lucas was a big-time college center (Ohio State? Too lazy to look it up) and played for years in the NBA. He was 6-7 and 240-250 pounds. He was strong enough to mix it up inside but could step outside to shoot a flatfooted but effective jumper. Tough to really tell from a "mix tape" video, but I like him better than the kid at Georgetown.

4/13/2013 10:57 pm  #202

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, the Levin kid reminded me of Jerry Lucas, although I'm sure most guys won't know who I'm talking about. Lucas was a big-time college center (Ohio State? Too lazy to look it up) and played for years in the NBA. He was 6-7 and 240-250 pounds. He was strong enough to mix it up inside but could step outside to shoot a flatfooted but effective jumper. Tough to really tell from a "mix tape" video, but I like him better than the kid at Georgetown.

If we get this kid, we would really be set inside.

I remember Jerry Lucas very well. He played on those great Knicks teams with Clyde, Monroe, Reed, and DeBusschere.

4/14/2013 7:37 am  #203

Glad you didn't mention Dollar Bill.

4/14/2013 7:50 am  #204

Agreed that the Levin kid would look to be a very good pick-up if we could get him.  Ovie, JR and Watkins are all PF types or in JR's case maybe a 5, but Levin would give us nice size at the SF and other than Winters, who I do have high hopes for, we really don't have another true SF.  A video is just that, but Levin looked pretty athletic, had nice form on his shot, can definately jump and I also liked the the fact that he could use his left hand around the hoop.  I just quiver when I think of our prior "bigs" missing shots from 2 feet with the right hand - let alone the left.  By my count though we only have one scholie left unless Datt decides to move on so do you try to lure Levin in or is there another JUCO center that we go after?  I say if the staff thinks this highly of Levin then take him.  We just need good players period.  

Last edited by CLK (4/14/2013 10:20 am)

4/14/2013 8:59 am  #205

Bilgy wrote:

Glad you didn't mention Dollar Bill.

Ah ha! I knew I was leaving someone out.

4/14/2013 10:21 am  #206

MrBrightside wrote:

Agreed that the Levin kid would look to be a very good pick-up if we could get him.  Ovie, JR and Watkins are all PF types or in JR's case maybe a 5, but Levin would give us nice size at the SF and other than Winters, who I do have high hopes for, we really don't have another true SF.  A video is just that, but Levin looked pretty athletic, had nice form on his shot, can definately jump and I also liked the the fact that he could use his left hand around the hoop.  I just quiver when I think of our prior "bigs" missing shots from 2 feet with the right hand - let alone the left.  By my count though we only have one scholie left unless Datt decides to move on so do you try to lure Levin in or is there another JUCO center that we go after?  I say if the staff thinks this highly of Levin then take him.  We just need good players period.  

We have two scholarships left to give. Two were freed up with Kadeem and Binney leaving.

Leaving or graduating: Johnson, Marhold, PJ, Abele, Martin, Kadeem & Binney = 7

Committed: Watkins (signed), Robinson, White, Ridenour & Mason = 5

One left for Severe and a PF

4/14/2013 10:45 am  #207

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille11hChrist the King's Jon Severe is sticking with May 22 date, but thinks he'll make a decision well in advance

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille11hSevere said he wants to visit Wake Forest and Pittsburgh before make a decision

4/14/2013 11:30 am  #208

CLK, doesn't Mason qualify for that medical exception and thereby would be eligible immediately?  Anyway seems to me the staff was smart to get the 3 guards they did, which when added to Colter and Jerimiah make me feel pretty good about our guard situation for next year - if Mason can play. I would imagine they would take Severe, who wouldn't, but I like what they have done in the alternative with Severe's indecision.  Seems to me Severe is looking at the bigger schools even though I think he would be a great fit for our program.

4/14/2013 12:22 pm  #209

There has been noting yet to suggest that Mason intends to apply for an exception. It appears that he will sit out a year. 

Severe will not sign diuring the Signing Period.  As I interpret what Zach Braziller‏ said above he may decide before 5/22 but will not sign a "National Letter of Intent" during the Signing Period.  What this means is that he would sign a "Scholarship Agreement" which is not binding on him until he actually enrolls.  This is a hard place for all the schools in the "Severe Sweepstakes".  Certainly he is a prize worth waiting for if you feel you have a good shot of landing him and what your alternatives are.

BTW at this point Duquesne is one of six schools on his final list.  I am sure there is a lot of dialog with this kid by all the remaining six coaching staffs.

Last edited by CLK (4/14/2013 12:25 pm)

4/14/2013 12:51 pm  #210

We've talked about Mason's situation. Don't know if he qualifies, but he may in fact want the year, which I think would be perfectly understandable.

Mr. Brightside, you don't fool me. I can read through lines. You may not talk to Jimmy Ferry every day, but you have connections to Admodio. I understand why you may not be inclined to share your good information with those of us who have soured on the AD, so you don't owe me no explanation. No sir.

I was happy to see your reference to Winters. I feel better now, because I want him to stay. He's the best of the first class Ferry brought in and if we lost him I would think that said something bad about Ferry. I was surprised to see Binney leaving because JUCO guards take big steps forward their second years in the big leagues. But maybe Ferry has a feeling about Severe.

I sure hope so. Severe would be a great win for us, especially if Pitt finishes second.

I just hope those b*st*rds don't cheat.

I saw John Rhoads' tweet yesterday about being on the recruiting trail for '14. Maybe we'll start to see our first commits for next year soon.

4/14/2013 2:13 pm  #211

ElDuque wrote:

I saw John Rhoads' tweet yesterday about being on the recruiting trail for '14. Maybe we'll start to see our first commits for next year soon.

This is one my big issues with the turnover. It forces us to stay focused on 2013 when many schools are going full blast on 2014 and starting on 2015.

4/14/2013 4:16 pm  #212

El Duq my Man!!!  We are in this together and certainly want the same thing  NCAA baby!!!  By the way, you write a funny, but on point summary.  This thing with Severe though is wearing on me, I just don't like all the schools being strung out like this, but what the hey, we are still getting things done and if he somehow comes here all the better.  Pitt will do whatever it takes if they want him bad enough, no matter the rules, just my opinion.  Anyway I do think the recruiting approach we are seeing is very methodical and planned, which is good.  GO DUKES!!

4/15/2013 12:04 pm  #213

Two new names:

1. Charles LG Gill 6'6" forward

Mark Selig‏@MarkRSelig1hGill, who visited JMU in March, is a 6-6 forward who's also considering Radford, MtStMary, St.Bonnie, Duquesne, according to H.S. coach.

LG Gill –Benedictine (Richmond, VA)
A 6’6 wing forward, Gill is exactly the type of kid that coaches love to have on their roster. He’s versatile, plays hard, and doesn’t force things. Owning fluid athleticism, Gill affects the game in multiple areas and has put himself in a great position to find a home at a low to mid-level division one program. He’s a guy that can score for you in the half court set with set jumpers and straight line drives, or in transition, as he runs the floor well and fills lanes appropriately. Gill will never blow you away with flashy play, but he will consistently impress you with his business-like approach and all around basketball ability.

http://recruitinghype.blogspot.com/2013/02/available-and-deserving.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OIDuxIbt4

2.  Errick Peck - Senior Eligible transfer Cornell 6'6" forward

Cornell_BB_Blog‏@Cornell_BB_Blog22mCurious to see where Errick Peck lands. Purdue, Boston College, Butler and Duquesne among the many possibles.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1714946/errick-peck

Last edited by CLK (4/15/2013 12:05 pm)

4/15/2013 12:21 pm  #214

MrBrightside wrote:

El Duq my Man!!!  We are in this together and certainly want the same thing  NCAA baby!!!  By the way, you write a funny, but on point summary.  This thing with Severe though is wearing on me, I just don't like all the schools being strung out like this, but what the hey, we are still getting things done and if he somehow comes here all the better.  Pitt will do whatever it takes if they want him bad enough, no matter the rules, just my opinion.  Anyway I do think the recruiting approach we are seeing is very methodical and planned, which is good.  GO DUKES!!

Severe is starting to remind me of Valleys Bill Varner who finally choose Notre Dame around June of his Sr year, he was a good player but the sports writers reported his commit as, "Well Bill Varner has Finally chosen a School."

A diehard fan since 1961

4/15/2013 12:24 pm  #215

CLK wrote:

Two new names:

1. Charles LG Gill 6'6" forward

Mark Selig‏@MarkRSelig1hGill, who visited JMU in March, is a 6-6 forward who's also considering Radford, MtStMary, St.Bonnie, Duquesne, according to H.S. coach.

LG Gill –Benedictine (Richmond, VA)
A 6’6 wing forward, Gill is exactly the type of kid that coaches love to have on their roster. He’s versatile, plays hard, and doesn’t force things. Owning fluid athleticism, Gill affects the game in multiple areas and has put himself in a great position to find a home at a low to mid-level division one program. He’s a guy that can score for you in the half court set with set jumpers and straight line drives, or in transition, as he

runs the floor well and fills lanes appropriately. Gill will never blow you away with flashy play, but he will

consistently impress you with his business-like approach and all around basketball ability.

BENEDICTINE has put many D-1 players from their program for years.

http://recruitinghype.blogspot.com/2013/02/available-and-deserving.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OIDuxIbt4

2.  Errick Peck - Senior Eligible transfer Cornell 6'6" forward

Cornell_BB_Blog‏@Cornell_BB_Blog22mCurious to see where Errick Peck lands. Purdue, Boston College, Butler and Duquesne among the many possibles.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1714946/errick-peck

A diehard fan since 1961

4/17/2013 4:43 pm  #216

We are off Severe's list

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille16mChrist the King's Jon Severe is now down to Fordham, West Virginia, Pitt and Wake Forest, he says.

4/17/2013 5:09 pm  #217

Ferry was pretty much the first guy (or one of the first) to go after Severe. So to me, this sucks.

Our best case scenario for him now is that he goes to Wake Forest.

4/17/2013 6:42 pm  #218

ElDuque wrote:

Ferry was pretty much the first guy (or one of the first) to go after Severe. So to me, this sucks.

If you notice, all BCS schools except for his hometown team. This is pretty much what he was hoping for when he didn't sign in the fall. I'm not upset that we tried to get him though. We actually went 2 for 4 with high level recruits, and the ones we got were frontcourt guys, who are the hardest to get because there are way more people who are 6'1", than that are 6'8".

4/17/2013 7:51 pm  #219

I'll be surprised if he doesn't go to Pitt...hope not...but...just sayin'

4/17/2013 8:43 pm  #220

That list seemed cryptic to me as in fourth to first. pitt people seemed concerned that he held off their visit to see Wake instead and now he wants to make his decision sooner. pitt doesn't seem as confident (cocky) about him picking them.

Like Devin Wilson choosing Va Tech over Joe's and Mason, I hope he goes to Wake so we (probably) never have to face him in addition to wondering "what if" if he has a succesful career. 

4/17/2013 9:24 pm  #221

ElDuque wrote:

Severe didn't get an offer from us until after we missed on Castro. We were his 4th official visit afte GW, Bona and I believe URI.

4/17/2013 9:35 pm  #222

No surprise if you recall his "oops, i forgot to add duquesne" clarification last week

4/20/2013 8:59 am  #223

Here is an article about the guys from Loyola who have been relase.  In an earlier post I posted a tweet about Michael Wolfe being interested.  Here is an article that states he would be interested in a red shirt year which might fit us nively.

Patsos had also secured an oral commitment to Loyola from Georgetown Prep senior Mike Wolfe, but the 6-foot-9 forward had not signed and de-committed late last month, in part because of the uncertainty surrounding the coach

Georgetown Prep Coach Herb Krusen said Wolfe, who won’t turn 18 until this summer, had been interested in red-shirting during his first year of college to continue his development, and the Patriot League only allows players to redshirt for medical reasons.

George Wolfe said his son is “leaning toward” taking a prep year at South Kent School in Connecticut, but he’s not closed the door on signing elsewhere.

“With that extra year, I think he’d be in high demand,” said Krusen, whose daughter Nicole is a junior on the Loyola women’s basketball team. “Mike’s really good. I don’t think you’d say there’s anybody in the area with more potential for a young big guy.”

George Wolfe said he’s taken calls from Duquesne and Wagner in the past week, and yesterday received received word from a Patsos assistant that the coach has interest in bringing Michael Wolfe to Siena. He took three official visits before picking Loyola, meaning he has two left.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-04-03/sports/38242535_1_jimmy-patsos-loyola-university-coach-mitch-buonaguro

Also saw in the article where Lavon Long was released.  One site has us showing interest in him.

Last edited by CLK (4/20/2013 9:01 am)

4/20/2013 11:23 am  #224

I find it to be intersting that Jimmy Patsos was not interested in the Duquesne job last year, but accepts the Siena position this year.

4/20/2013 3:29 pm  #225

Might want to change your moniker, pressurecooker.....

Board footera