Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2020 11:54 am  #1

Dukes to Face Belmont at Home

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/05/27/duquesne-to-host-belmont-as-part-of-2020-21-non-conference-schedule/

Another great game.  Belmont is returning 4 of 5 starters from the NET #101 team.  The previous year they were substantially higher.  This will be a top 75 team, potentially even top 50. 

This is turning into a very very good schedule.  Furman, ETSU(Rumored), Maryland and Belmont are all going to be good. 

5/27/2020 12:34 pm  #2

Re: Dukes to Face Belmont at Home

WOW! Extremely impressed to be able to play them. This is a great sign that we are gaining lots of respect across the mid-major community

5/27/2020 12:53 pm  #3

BluffHunter wrote:

WOW! Extremely impressed to be able to play them. This is a great sign that we are gaining lots of respect across the mid-major community

Depends on whether we have to return the game. I looked at their schedules going back 6 years. With the exception of a home game against city rival Vandy, there is nothing on their home schedule approaching a good A10 team. If this is an home and home, it's much more of a get for Belmont than it is for us. They should be dancing in the streets at the thought of getting an A10 team to come in. Now, if we don't have to return the game, then I'll be impressed. Duquesne should easily be able to land a home and home with pretty much any school out of a one bid league. The issue is, as it always is, the higher level school doesn't want to play dangerous road games against teams from lower level conferences. High risk, low reward. If it is a home and home, it may just be a case of Dambrot saying that we need this to boost our home schedule in a year we hope to make the tourney. Next year might be a reload, so we'll risk a road loss next year.

5/27/2020 1:49 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Depends on whether we have to return the game. I looked at their schedules going back 6 years. With the exception of a home game against city rival Vandy, there is nothing on their home schedule approaching a good A10 team. If this is an home and home, it's much more of a get for Belmont than it is for us. They should be dancing in the streets at the thought of getting an A10 team to come in. Now, if we don't have to return the game, then I'll be impressed. Duquesne should easily be able to land a home and home with pretty much any school out of a one bid league. The issue is, as it always is, the higher level school doesn't want to play dangerous road games against teams from lower level conferences. High risk, low reward. If it is a home and home, it may just be a case of Dambrot saying that we need this to boost our home schedule in a year we hope to make the tourney. Next year might be a reload, so we'll risk a road loss next year.

I kind of disagree here.  First of all, if Belmont is top 75 and we play them on the road then that is a Q1 Game.  If we cannot return games against top 75 teams then I'm not sure what to say.  It's just absurd to think a top 75 or even top 50 team(they were 2 years ago) is beneath us and playing a H/H is to be frowned upon. 

Just this past year for some of the top teams in the league:

Richmond @ Hampton
Richmond @ ODU
URI @ Middle Tennessee State
URI @ Brown
Bonnies @ Siena
Bonnies @ Canisius
Bonnies @ FAU
Bonnies @ Middle Tennessee State
Bonnies @ Buffalo
Davidson @ Charlotte
Davidson @ Northeastern
VCU @ Charleston

All of those A10 teams have had more success than us and all of those opponents are worse than Belmont or level footing at worst.  

If this is a H/H I applaud it.   

5/27/2020 2:13 pm  #5

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I kind of disagree here.  First of all, if Belmont is top 75 and we play them on the road then that is a Q1 Game.  If we cannot return games against top 75 teams then I'm not sure what to say.  It's just absurd to think a top 75 or even top 50 team(they were 2 years ago) is beneath us and playing a H/H is to be frowned upon. 

Just this past year for some of the top teams in the league:

Richmond @ Hampton
Richmond @ ODU
URI @ Middle Tennessee State
URI @ Brown
Bonnies @ Siena
Bonnies @ Canisius
Bonnies @ FAU
Bonnies @ Middle Tennessee State
Bonnies @ Buffalo
Davidson @ Charlotte
Davidson @ Northeastern
VCU @ Charleston

All of those A10 teams have had more success than us and all of those opponents are worse than Belmont or level footing at worst.  

If this is a H/H I applaud it.   

I don't mind playing Belmont H/H (by the way, they would have been a quad 3 last year, quad 2 on the road, despite winning 26 games). I actually think it makes some sense to play a couple of games like this. I just don't think this is a "wow, we got Belmont" moment. We're in the A10, and one of the better teams, schools like Belmont should be jumping at the chance to play us, an A10 team H/H, as it's hard for them to get decent games. If you want to "wow" me, get a good team out of the American, or WCC to do a H/H, let alone out of the BE. As for those example games you listed, 2/3 of those are regional games, just like when Pitt, or Penn St. plays us. Bona fans are dying to get Canisius, and Niagara off the schedule, but it's a traditional thing, just like us and Pitt is supposed to be.
Now, if by chance there is no return game, then I'm impressed. That would be an excellent opponent to get without having to return the game.

5/27/2020 3:00 pm  #6

Not that impressed.  Duquesne should be playing teams that a lot of people have heard of.  State Universities is still the way to go.

5/27/2020 4:25 pm  #7

Bilgy wrote:

Not that impressed.  Duquesne should be playing teams that a lot of people have heard of.  State Universities is still the way to go.

What state universities want to play us? Even if they agree to play us, it certainly won't be in Pittsburgh. Sorry, but it's not 1970 anymore. When the Dukes stack about 7-8 NCAA trips, and have a pretty much permanent spot in the Top 25, then you might see some "big state schools" agree to come, and of course it will be at PPG. Don't hold your breath though. Ask Dayton how easy it is to get those "big state schools" on the schedule.

Riiiiiiing!!!  "Hello, Big State U., how may I help you?"  "Hi, this is Coach Dambrot of Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. I'd like to know if we can schedule a game?" "Coach Dambrot, you must have dialed the wrong number, I'm sure you're looking for East by Southwest State U. They come in every year so I know I have their number somewhere. Hold on please."  CLICK!

Last edited by duq81 (5/27/2020 4:34 pm)

5/27/2020 6:22 pm  #8

I like this game, even if it's home and home. Even if their NET ranking isn't flashy, this is a school that cares about Men's Basketball. While we have been sleeping, they went from NAIA to D-I independent to A-Sun to OVC and are still winning. When the national press was gushing over Ja Morant at Murray State, Belmont joins the OVC and gives Murray State fits. I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Byrd, their coach who just retired, gets in the Basketball HOF. 

Last year they played Boston College (away--won), Alabama (neutral site--lost), and SLU (away--lost by 5). This is a schedule upgrade. Mr. Dambrot and Mr. Harper are doing their jobs.

5/27/2020 8:19 pm  #9

When does the full nonconfrence schedule come out? Also wouldn’t mind a home and home with a team like Drake or Indiana State.

5/27/2020 8:21 pm  #10

Belmont is a consistently in their conference championship game yearly so this is definitely a great add. If you watch college basketball you know them

5/27/2020 8:48 pm  #11

Dukes412 wrote:

When does the full nonconfrence schedule come out? Also wouldn’t mind a home and home with a team like Drake or Indiana State.

If I'm not mistaken, ISU was our best ooc win last year. If you can't get AAC, WCC, or MWC teams on the schedule, the MVC is probably the next best conference. Playing a solid team from there is always a good deal. Got to be careful not to make the schedule too tough though. A hard schedule doesn't help if you lose most of the games. We're good enough to beat all of those teams, but we lost to GW at home last year, so we can certainly lose to any of them as well.

5/27/2020 10:38 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, ISU was our best ooc win last year. If you can't get AAC, WCC, or MWC teams on the schedule, the MVC is probably the next best conference. Playing a solid team from there is always a good deal. Got to be careful not to make the schedule too tough though. A hard schedule doesn't help if you lose most of the games. We're good enough to beat all of those teams, but we lost to GW at home last year, so we can certainly lose to any of them as well.

I agree with this put 3 or 4 tough teams on there but don’t schedule too many could hurt in terms of local media recognition but more importantly could tire out the guys playing so many tough games. I always feel around Christmas you want to avoid any tough games. Mainly cause Kids are looking ahead to a few days off and they’re already beat up from finals. I think it could be seen last year losing to UAB where the Dukes in my opinion had more skill but were just tired and not as focused. Already have Maryland, Belmont, and Furman maybe schedule one or two more tough games for non conference. Also liked putting the IVY level schools on the schedule last year good competition.

5/27/2020 10:59 pm  #13

Dukes412 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

I agree with this put 3 or 4 tough teams on there but don’t schedule too many could hurt in terms of local media recognition but more importantly could tire out the guys playing so many tough games. I always feel around Christmas you want to avoid any tough games. Mainly cause Kids are looking ahead to a few days off and they’re already beat up from finals. I think it could be seen last year losing to UAB where the Dukes in my opinion had more skill but were just tired and not as focused. Already have Maryland, Belmont, and Furman maybe schedule one or two more tough games for non conference. Also liked putting the IVY level schools on the schedule last year good competition.

Yeah, we have to schedule some opponents with a pulse, but not too strong of a pulse. Play your tough games, play one dog, then try to get a few quad 3 type games that won't totally kill your sos.

5/30/2020 4:14 pm  #14

6/01/2020 8:13 am  #15

I didnt know we got to 95 in KenPom rankings.
Belmont has a lot coming back, as do we(I hope).   
Should be a good game, we'll need defense to be ready for that game.

Board footera