Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 6:19 am  #26

Re: Official Men's Basketball 20-21 Roster

I give the athletic department a pass on this mistake with the roster.
We are in the middle of a pandemic.  Masks and social distancing
are the norm.
Where possible, people work at home.  This may have been the
case regarding the roster.  Lack of coordination and communication
because of the separation may have resulted in the roster screw up.

6/02/2020 6:33 am  #27

stew wrote:

There are employees in the athletic dept who are either indifferent or incompetent.Folks on this message board are devout fans and waiting for this day to see who is leaving the program and the players that are officially on this years roster.Its real important to this message board for someone working at Duquesne to get the information correct the first time.It sometimes feels like Brian the Brain Colleary is in charge and  we are back in the 90s.WAKE THE HELL UP or find another job.Duquesne sports information should be better than this.No excuse for this bs.
Stew maybe the  other reasons rather then the DU logo in the corner of the court was the motivation.Why was Colleary terminated from St. John’s? 🤔🤔🤔

6/02/2020 9:07 am  #28

apluski wrote:

I have a great amount of esteem for duq81 in respect to his stabilizing and introspective influence on this board, but I do disagree with his statement, "Pittsburgh doesn't support minor league sports, and right now, that's what we are."

I strongly agree that the Pittsburgh sports public have a proclivity for not supporting local teams which make losing an art form, as well as not supporting teams with which it has no interest (professional basketball, arena football, professional tennis teams etc )
However, I cannot agree with the statement that Duquesne Basketball is minor league. That is not what we are and that is not who we are. Not now. We are what we know we are.
What you think, you become.
What you feel, you attract.
What you imagine, you create.
Buddha
Many may feel this is nitpicking and many more will ignore this post but the perception of Duquesne Basketball must begin within us. Winning is now our reality.

We may not truly be minor league, but that's the perception among the non Duquesne people I talk to. I can't get anyone outside of this board, and the Facebook page to even talk a little bit about Duquesne hoops. Everyone is very dismissive. Call me when they make the tournament is what one guy said. The 10 game streak did generate a bit of positivity though. The same folks tend to be very dismissive of Pitt football as well, so it's not any bias against the school that's at work, as Pitt football is pretty much at the same "decent, but nothing special" level that our hoops is at. The turnout for the Dayton game was encouraging though. There were of course, a fair number of Dayton fans there, but I'd say at least 5,000 of the crowd came to see the Dukes. I even talked to a guy at the game who said he was a Pitt season ticket holder, who said he would definitely come to more games if the Dukes were playing at a high level. This is a positive indication that if we break through, we'll draw for good opponents. Got to win most of those games to keep em coming back though.

6/02/2020 9:13 am  #29

Ironduke81 wrote:

stew wrote:

There are employees in the athletic dept who are either indifferent or incompetent.Folks on this message board are devout fans and waiting for this day to see who is leaving the program and the players that are officially on this years roster.Its real important to this message board for someone working at Duquesne to get the information correct the first time.It sometimes feels like Brian the Brain Colleary is in charge and  we are back in the 90s.WAKE THE HELL UP or find another job.Duquesne sports information should be better than this.No excuse for this bs.
Stew maybe the  other reasons rather then the DU logo in the corner of the court was the motivation.Why was Colleary terminated from St. John’s? 🤔🤔🤔

Colleary is the worst AD ever, worse than the clown Amodio, and worse than the series of clowns they've had at Pitt, even the clown who ran off Jamie Dixon. It was under Colleary that the program declined from a mere also-ran, to a disaster of epic proportions. To top it off, he got involved in a scandal that should have gotten him fired. I don't see any reason at all to give Harper anything less than a B+ at this point.

6/02/2020 3:28 pm  #30

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

stew wrote:

Colleary is the worst AD ever, worse than the clown Amodio, and worse than the series of clowns they've had at Pitt, even the clown who ran off Jamie Dixon. It was under Colleary that the program declined from a mere also-ran, to a disaster of epic proportions. To top it off, he got involved in a scandal that should have gotten him fired. I don't see any reason at all to give Harper anything less than a B+ at this point.

I have wondered for the last few years why more than a few of the regular posters loathe Amodio. I don't really have an opinion on this topic because I don't know much that would push me to be a fan or foe. Aside from bungling RE's dismissal, why does he have such a crap reputation?

6/02/2020 4:10 pm  #31

I am proud of last years team.The away game at St.Bonaventure showed me the team had arrived and we
were a really good team.Dukes dominating the game,relentless on boards and then gave that lead up and in the waning minutes, came back with clutch plays by Hughes,a huge block,a nice jumper by Norman and a 3 pointer by Steele.Then Carry got hot,made the free throws.I thought to myself this team is disciplined and poised.Truly it showed how far the program had evolved.
never quit.Dukes looked like nothing I had ever witnessed in a long,long time.

6/02/2020 5:50 pm  #32

RE had a winning record of 100-99 media wondered why you fire a winning coach
Ferry had back to back NCAA appearances while at LIU which was why he was hired plus
probably came at a very reasonable salary
But Ferry was a bad fit for the A10  all offense no defense
in a conference that stresses defense.

6/02/2020 6:46 pm  #33

phil95 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

I have wondered for the last few years why more than a few of the regular posters loathe Amodio. I don't really have an opinion on this topic because I don't know much that would push me to be a fan or foe. Aside from bungling RE's dismissal, why does he have such a crap reputation?

The firing of RE is why he has a bad rep. I understand that we had hit a bit of a lull, and TJ transferring was a bad sign, but to me, Ron had done well enough to deserve a couple more years. The problem was that he only had 2 years left on his deal. As the team was not going to be that good the next year, and the fact that you can never let a coach go into his final year, he needed to have at least one year added to his deal. That would have given him two years to get the train rolling in the right direction again. If those two years had been subpar, I think all but a few would have been ok with a change at that point. The idea that Amodio held a grudge against Ron for not putting Skip Prosser's son on his staff also rubbed some the wrong way. Then there was the rumor that he wanted to hire his crony, Dino Gaudio. Don't know if it was true, but it caused an uproar on the board, and if Gaudio was ever interested, he quickly lost interest. The one who probably gets abused a bit unfairly is Ferry. He failed, no question, but it's not like he was as bad as Nee, DAP, or Edgar. He did have one decent year. It's just that his failures were a constant reminder that Amodio screwed up, and the fans took it out on him.

6/02/2020 9:01 pm  #34

phil95 wrote:

[

Question asked and answered:  Running off the only coach who had the team above .500 and knocking on the bubble, hell the only one whose teams showed a pulse in 30 years.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/02/2020 9:06 pm  #35

duq81 wrote:

[ The one who probably gets abused a bit unfairly is Ferry. He failed, no question, but it's not like he was as bad as Nee, DAP, or Edgar. He did have one decent year. It's just that his failures were a constant reminder that Amodio screwed up, and the fans took it out on him.

17-16 and a berth in the "Who Care's" Tertiary tournament as a high point, I would not call decent.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/02/2020 10:40 pm  #36

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

[ The one who probably gets abused a bit unfairly is Ferry. He failed, no question, but it's not like he was as bad as Nee, DAP, or Edgar. He did have one decent year. It's just that his failures were a constant reminder that Amodio screwed up, and the fans took it out on him.

17-16 and a berth in the "Who Care's" Tertiary tournament as a high point, I would not call decent.

You have to consider who he's being compared to.
High point for the other 3:
Edgar 11-19
DAP  9-20
Nee  12-17
When you look at it that way, the 17-17 season wasn't bad. It ended badly, as Dukes seasons all too often do, but it was actually somewhat enjoyable before the bad ending. Ferry had many shortcomings, but his biggest failing was that he waited too long before he started bringing in A10 level players. If he had brought in the quality of players early that he signed at the end, he'd have won enough to keep his job, despite his coaching flaws. We'd probably be frustrated by now with the 19-20 win seasons, but so be it. Maybe it's all for the best. We wouldn't have KD if any of this had worked out.

6/03/2020 12:13 pm  #37

Not that I want to excuse Amodio, but keep in mind the first choice to replace Ron (Dino notwithstanding) in 2012 was Keith Dambrot. He was offered the job not once but twice. See the below link if you need a refresher. I recall a poster on this board, who I haven't seen in a while but was very knowledgeable at the time, say that firing Ron only made sense if we could have hired Keith. That Jim Ferry was a poor substitute. This was maybe in Ferry's first or second year before we knew for certain he was out of his league, though fair play to the folks on this board who accurately predicted that he was from the start. Shame it didn't happen sooner, but I do think we have the right coach today even though there's still a lot more work to be done.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/4/6/2930007/keith-dambrot-duquesne-akron-coaching-rumors

6/03/2020 12:46 pm  #38

DennisC91 wrote:

Not that I want to excuse Amodio, but keep in mind the first choice to replace Ron (Dino notwithstanding) in 2012 was Keith Dambrot. He was offered the job not once but twice. See the below link if you need a refresher. I recall a poster on this board, who I haven't seen in a while but was very knowledgeable at the time, say that firing Ron only made sense if we could have hired Keith. That Jim Ferry was a poor substitute. This was maybe in Ferry's first or second year before we knew for certain he was out of his league, though fair play to the folks on this board who accurately predicted that he was from the start. Shame it didn't happen sooner, but I do think we have the right coach today even though there's still a lot more work to be done.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/4/6/2930007/keith-dambrot-duquesne-akron-coaching-rumors

I actually think we got Keith at the right time. At his current age, I'd be surprised if this wasn't his last job. I'm not so certain that would have been the case if he had been hired at 53 years old. Raising this corpse, and still being in his mid 50s might have made him a target of some big money P5 type programs that may have been to enticing to turn down. Maybe even Ohio State when they had their last opening. He may have turned some of them down, but no Ohioan would ever turn down a chance to coach the Buckeyes.

6/03/2020 3:09 pm  #39

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

I actually think we got Keith at the right time. At his current age, I'd be surprised if this wasn't his last job. I'm not so certain that would have been the case if he had been hired at 53 years old. Raising this corpse, and still being in his mid 50s might have made him a target of some big money P5 type programs that may have been to enticing to turn down. Maybe even Ohio State when they had their last opening. He may have turned some of them down, but no Ohioan would ever turn down a chance to coach the Buckeyes.

Does anyone know why Coach Everhart wasn’t hired at another school to be the head coach? I think he did one of the best jobs which wasn’t appreciated by the athletic department by dismissing him. I know him and Huggins are close so he might just not want the stress that comes from a head coaching position and stay as an assistant. Also, I believe he was getting a few offers after the Dukes went to the A10 Championship and next year when they had the win streak?

6/03/2020 4:01 pm  #40

Dukes412 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Does anyone know why Coach Everhart wasn’t hired at another school to be the head coach? I think he did one of the best jobs which wasn’t appreciated by the athletic department by dismissing him. I know him and Huggins are close so he might just not want the stress that comes from a head coaching position and stay as an assistant. Also, I believe he was getting a few offers after the Dukes went to the A10 Championship and next year when they had the win streak?

He was up for the Penn State job after the 2011 season. I would guess that any job he could have gone after in 2012, might have been at a lower level than the A10. He had 2 years of pay coming, so what's the rush. Once he got with WVU, he probably saw it as a better job than coaching some low major. Close to home as well. With Huggins health issues, it wouldn't shock me if he ends up taking over after Huggins leaves.

6/03/2020 4:09 pm  #41

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

This seems right on the money to me. Having his son playing soccer for Pitt at the beginning of his tenure must also have helped grease the wheels.

6/03/2020 4:28 pm  #42

Dukes412 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

I absolutely believe that, to some extent, RE has the stain of falling short at Duquesne contributing to his employment opportunities. I also think the top 200 schools would consider him a hard sell to their boosters & fan base. A candidate in his mid to late 50s with 18 years of Division I head coaching experience, a .511 career winning percentage, 0 NCAA appearances, & an 0-3 record in the NIT is not likely to produce the requisite support & enthusiasm from the folks that care most. If Duquesne would have hired a coach with similar qualifications 3 years ago, who among the posting community here would have been impressed & in favor of the hire?

It's really a shame. I know RE to be a better coach than the 4 facts listed above indicate. I think he is closer to the guy that won the coach of the year award in 2 separate minor conferences in 2001 & 2005. It would be so great if he took over for Huggins & had a successful 5-year run to end his career on a high note. I suspect, given the opportunity, he would succeed.

6/03/2020 5:43 pm  #43

phil95 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I absolutely believe that, to some extent, RE has the stain of falling short at Duquesne contributing to his employment opportunities. I also think the top 200 schools would consider him a hard sell to their boosters & fan base. A candidate in his mid to late 50s with 18 years of Division I head coaching experience, a .511 career winning percentage, 0 NCAA appearances, & an 0-3 record in the NIT is not likely to produce the requisite support & enthusiasm from the folks that care most. If Duquesne would have hired a coach with similar qualifications 3 years ago, who among the posting community here would have been impressed & in favor of the hire?

It's really a shame. I know RE to be a better coach than the 4 facts listed above indicate. I think he is closer to the guy that won the coach of the year award in 2 separate minor conferences in 2001 & 2005. It would be so great if he took over for Huggins & had a successful 5-year run to end his career on a high note. I suspect, given the opportunity, he would succeed.

I'll always wonder how it would have played out had the shooting not happened. I feel the same way about Jim Satalin as well. We may never have fallen into the abyss had the "incident" not happened.

6/03/2020 8:30 pm  #44

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

I'll always wonder how it would have played out had the shooting not happened. I feel the same way about Jim Satalin as well. We may never have fallen into the abyss had the "incident" not happened.

Yeah I never thought about that angle. Two coaches, at vulnerable points in their careers, have the ultimate black swan events happend, although to be fair, Ron's happened at the very beginning and his team was in the A 10 final three seasons later. Satalin was in the middle of his.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/03/2020 8:47 pm  #45

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Yeah I never thought about that angle. Two coaches, at vulnerable points in their careers, have the ultimate black swan events happend, although to be fair, Ron's happened at the very beginning and his team was in the A 10 final three seasons later. Satalin was in the middle of his.

Satalin's disaster happened right after his second season. What makes it tough is that he had assembled a young team, and it was pretty obvious that they were going to be good. His only winning season was the year that they would have been experienced, and expected to contend, but he was missing pieces, and the guys who were suspended were rusty. With Ron, we never got to see that team, because the two bigs who got shot, never played a minute. We were all pretty happy with Ron's first year (10-19), all things considered, but they likely would have done quite a bit better had Baldonado especially, been able to play.

6/03/2020 8:51 pm  #46

duq81 wrote:

[

Satalin's disaster happened right after his second season. What makes it tough is that he had assembled a young team, and it was pretty obvious that they were going to be good. His only winning season was the year that they would have been experienced, and expected to contend, but he was missing pieces, and the guys who were suspended were rusty. With Ron, we never got to see that team, because the two bigs who got shot, never played a minute. We were all pretty happy with Ron's first year (10-19), all things considered, but they likely would have done quite a bit better had Baldonado especially, been able to play.

and that one winning season was 15-14. Wow give him a hotter wife and he's Jim Ferry!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/03/2020 9:47 pm  #47

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

[

and that one winning season was 15-14. Wow give him a hotter wife and he's Jim Ferry!

C'mon, you're missing the point here. No one is saying that was a great season. It's evidence of how good they could have been. The point is that if they had Greg Harrison' and Ron Stevenson and Emmitt Sellers weren't rusty from missing a year, that they wouldn't have been 15-14, but one of the best teams in the league. They were able to be as good as they were because Rick Suder, and Dwayne Rawls had excellent years. It was evidence that this most likely would have been our best team since Red stepped down, had things gone according to plan.

Board footera