Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2020 2:21 pm  #1

Robert Morris leaving NEC for Big South Football

Future games between Duquesne and Robert Morris may be in jeopardy, per Alan Saunders.
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/12/robert-morris-duquesne-football-on-for-2020-future-uncertain/

6/12/2020 3:33 pm  #2

Re: Robert Morris leaving NEC for Big South Football

Might we also head south? Much better league, but I doubt they'd accept our pitiful stadium 🏟 situation.

6/14/2020 11:02 am  #3

duq81 wrote:

Might we also head south? Much better league, but I doubt they'd accept our pitiful stadium 🏟 situation.

We have a stadium? 

Rooney is the smallest in all of DIVISION I

Last edited by coffee (6/14/2020 11:04 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/14/2020 2:10 pm  #4

I think we should move conferences or try at least. Seems like Coach always finds some good recruits. Dont mind the NEC but we’re never gonna be a legit contender in this conference. Use Rooney as a practice field and move the games to Highmark Stadium. Can get a slightly better attendance with a scenic back drop. Those additional scholarships will really help RMU develop a better program. Think if DUQ had these it could really help the future stature.

6/15/2020 9:23 pm  #5

Dukes412 wrote:

I think we should move conferences or try at least. Seems like Coach always finds some good recruits. Dont mind the NEC but we’re never gonna be a legit contender in this conference. Use Rooney as a practice field and move the games to Highmark Stadium. Can get a slightly better attendance with a scenic back drop. Those additional scholarships will really help RMU develop a better program. Think if DUQ had these it could really help the future stature.

I'm afraid this move will give them a serious leg up in recruiting. The Big South sounds like they're open to more football expansion. I say we follow Bobby Mo's lead.

6/16/2020 11:19 am  #6

Yeah, DU ought to follow suit. Need to do something about Rooney for sure though. If the answer is Highmark they need to find a way to make students want to go there. They have a hard enough time on-campus.

On the other hand I wonder if RMU’s move paves the way for IUP to make a move to D1 via the NEC? There’s been a thought for a while that they’ve wanted to, and certainly they’ve sustained success in MBB and FB to make it realistic. Their facilities are also solid, especially the KCAC for BBall.

6/17/2020 6:54 am  #7

Face wrote:

On the other hand I wonder if RMU’s move paves the way for IUP to make a move to D1 via the NEC? There’s been a thought for a while that they’ve wanted to, and certainly they’ve sustained success in MBB and FB to make it realistic. Their facilities are also solid, especially the KCAC for BBall.

Very good point Face. IUP is close to St. Francis, making for a nice travel partner.

6/17/2020 10:15 am  #8

It's also been thought that RMU was part of blocking their entrance due to making Western PA very crowded. It's possible that SFU could still have issues but who knows?

Who knows if the move could also help PASSHE in some way (if they're successful)? IUP has a pretty strong enrollment. My master's is from there, so I'd love to see it (a touch of bias perhaps).

Last edited by Face (6/17/2020 10:50 am)

6/18/2020 9:41 am  #9

I think we are still a ways off from upgrading Rooney.  When I emailed the university this was the response I got:

"While there are plans to make modifications to Rooney Field, we are still focused on the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse.  The University recognizes the need for some change at Rooney and it is in the Master Plan, but a timeline has not been determined at this point."

I still believe that Highmark is the right answer, but as Face rightly points out, we need to somehow make the students attend those games.  There is a small part of me that thinks the games being at Highmark might actually help as it would turn the games into an actual event where people could tailgate and party, but I could be way off.  

As far as joining a new conference, there is no doubt that we need to leave the NEC soon.  The Endgame goal should be to join the CAA.  Lofty, I know, but that should be the pie in the sky move.  I think the Big South would be a nice join though for sure.  Even if we moved to Highmark, our capacity would still be the lowest in the CAA.  

Last edited by Simms (6/18/2020 9:45 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/19/2020 8:54 pm  #10

Agree with CAA long term, and yes that worked for Albany, but I personally don't feel like we're ready to square with the JMUs and W&Ms and Towsons...

Big South feels like a good step if we can get it.

6/24/2020 8:15 pm  #11

Simms wrote:

I think we are still a ways off from upgrading Rooney.  When I emailed the university this was the response I got:

"While there are plans to make modifications to Rooney Field, we are still focused on the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse.  The University recognizes the need for some change at Rooney and it is in the Master Plan, but a timeline has not been determined at this point."

I still believe that Highmark is the right answer, but as Face rightly points out, we need to somehow make the students attend those games.  There is a small part of me that thinks the games being at Highmark might actually help as it would turn the games into an actual event where people could tailgate and party, but I could be way off.  

As far as joining a new conference, there is no doubt that we need to leave the NEC soon.  The Endgame goal should be to join the CAA.  Lofty, I know, but that should be the pie in the sky move.  I think the Big South would be a nice join though for sure.  Even if we moved to Highmark, our capacity would still be the lowest in the CAA.  

The biggest problem with DUQ Football is the tailgating aspect from a student. I mean we have a competitive team but when people see the field they think automatically we are a D3 school. My friend came to DUQ from Arizona and was shocked they were 1aa. Places like iup and sru are able to get students to come because they allow them the opportunity to tailgate for their games. I feel DUQ does not want the drinking and possibility of negligence on campus.

Board footera