Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2020 12:59 pm  #1

Indianapolis MTE

Per Jon Rothstein tweet

"Sources: Duquesne will join Cincinnati and Loyola-Chicago in an early-season MTE in Indianapolis. Event is still searching for a fourth team." 

11/06/2020 1:32 pm  #2

Re: Indianapolis MTE

Great job Dave Harper

11/06/2020 1:40 pm  #3

A chance going to indianapolis to allow Pete Suder to talk  with Dambrot and possibly watch the Dukes play
a couple games.Suder is being pursued by a host of Big Ten teams.Big time talent.

11/06/2020 2:11 pm  #4

These teams are well above the ones we'll play in Louisville. UC is a well established power, and Loyola is very highly rated this year. Combined with the Louisville teams, that is a strong ooc schedule. Need to get some wins though. Anything less than 3 wins won't be enough. 4 would really open the at large door.

11/06/2020 5:31 pm  #6

More great scheduling news. Getting into the Louisville bubble early was a great move, but unfortunately we didn't end up getting either of the major opponents in it. It would have been easy to be satisfied with that event and call the non-conference done since it starts pretty close to the beginning of the season. The Duquesne athletic department of old undoubtedly would have done just that. Dambrot and Harper weren't satisfied though. Getting into this event gets us two more games against teams that give us a chance to prove we're tournament worthy. Now Dambrot will have to make sure the guys are ready to play from the opening tip. There won't be any gimmies.

11/06/2020 5:42 pm  #7

Plus it sticks it to Pitt. They were so busy backing out of agreements that they have pretty much nothing scheduled. Meanwhile we went ahead and found even better opposition. It would be a shame to see the City Game end, but the common logic said we needed the game more than they did. We're showing that may not be the case.

11/07/2020 10:16 am  #8

The unmentionables up the street have gone overboard with their scheduling. They have an opening game with St. Francis and another with Gardner-Webb. The scaredy-cats will only play teams they can beat in their preseason. They don’t roar, they meow!

11/07/2020 10:25 am  #9

Duquesne has a long history of playing the Frankies.  Has Pitt ever played them?

11/07/2020 10:41 am  #10

Bilgy wrote:

Duquesne has a long history of playing the Frankies.  Has Pitt ever played them?

Pitt is 29-0 vs Saint Francis; last meeting in Dec 2011.

11/07/2020 1:15 pm  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

Pitt is 29-0 vs Saint Francis; last meeting in Dec 2011.

Pitt played them on the road about 30 years ago when they had that great Mike Izzolino, Joe Anderson team. I listened to the whole game. It was actually a great game that Pitt pulled out in the last minute.

11/07/2020 3:04 pm  #12

This is shaping up to be one of the hardest non-conference schedules in a while (probably have to go back to 12-13 or 11-12 seasons to find something comparable).  Exactly what the Dukes needed to schedule; now they need to win 3 or 4 of these first 5 games to keep the post season door open.

11/07/2020 6:52 pm  #13

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This is shaping up to be one of the hardest non-conference schedules in a while (probably have to go back to 12-13 or 11-12 seasons to find something comparable).  Exactly what the Dukes needed to schedule; now they need to win 3 or 4 of these first 5 games to keep the post season door open.

I think this is tougher. Yeah, Pitt and Arizona were tougher, but the rest of those schedules were soft. There is not a single breather this year.

11/08/2020 9:32 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I think this is tougher. Yeah, Pitt and Arizona were tougher, but the rest of those schedules were soft. There is not a single breather this year.

It's tough to compare a 5 game schedule to a 14 game schedule. Do we compare the 5 to the best 5? The worst 5? Middle 5? It's tough.

I'd say 2012's non-conference was tougher though. Georgetown was a top 10 team, Pitt was still dependable Pitt under Jamie Dixon (top 20 and an early NCAA exit), Albany and James Madison won their conferences to make the NCAA, Robert Morris won the NEC regular season and went to the NIT, Western Michigan, North Dakota State, and Youngstown State also played in the postseason. Then you can throw in West Virginia and Penn State who were below .500 but still power conference opponents.

All five of this year's opponents could go to the NCAA. So like you said there are no breathers. Even with Cincinnati I don't think it has the top level opponents 2012 did.

The major difference is we have a competent coach this time around. Hopefully we do better than .500 in the non-conference. I have no doubt Dambrot won't let the non-conference wear the guys down. We went 1-15 in conference play after the tough non-conference last time.

11/19/2020 6:47 pm  #15

This MTE is officially off.  Looks like they had no luck in getting a replacement for Loyola Chicago

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1329567191285571592

11/19/2020 9:06 pm  #16

That's a drag, CLK.  I'm surprised that they were unable to get a 3rd team to replace Loyola. I keep hearing about all of the difficulties that teams are having in getting non-conference games scheduled; you would figure that there had to be a few teams within driving distance of Indy to jump on this opportunity.

11/19/2020 10:19 pm  #17

Ugh. I was so excited to play Cincinatti

11/20/2020 2:35 am  #18

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

That's a drag, CLK.  I'm surprised that they were unable to get a 3rd team to replace Loyola. I keep hearing about all of the difficulties that teams are having in getting non-conference games scheduled; you would figure that there had to be a few teams within driving distance of Indy to jump on this opportunity.

It really is disappointing. I was excited about the Maryland event for the power conference game that came with it. When that didn't work out I was even more excited about the Louisville event as I figured it meant we'd get a game against Louisville. When that didn't work out I was happy they were able to replace that game with one with Cincinnati. The schedule is still good, as pretty much everyone should compete for an NCAA birth. We could really use a showcase game against a power conference team though, and I hope there is still one out there even though it's unlikely.

I really thought they'd be able to replace Loyola, but I think Covid is to blame for that and not so much a lack of teams. The organizers wouldn't even have to leave the city of Indianapolis to find a replacement as both Butler and IUPUI have openings. Ball State and IPFW also have openings in state. They also could have found a replacement without leaving the city of Chicago as DePaul, Northwestern, and UIC have openings.

11/20/2020 11:15 am  #19

Coach play up go power 5 teams
 on the road. Zero fans thanks to Covid.. If not say hello to NIT unless Duquesne wins the A10. 

11/20/2020 6:36 pm  #20

I don’t think we can get too hung up on missing out on one or two non cons against P5 opponents. As others mentioned the schedule still features what should be a lot of strong opponents.

And p5 matchups are great, assuming we win them. If we lose to Louisville or Cincy how much value does that add?

The most important thing to me is that right now, the Dukes control their own destiny in terms of postseason. They have multiple avenues including winning the reg season or winning the conference tourney.

If we are good enough to be worthy of a spot we will get there, and that’s all we can ask for in these crazy times. I am personally more upset about the cowardice down the street, that’s a p5 matchup I would assume we would win!

Either way, can’t wait for the season!

11/20/2020 8:15 pm  #21

Duques102 wrote:

I don’t think we can get too hung up on missing out on one or two non cons against P5 opponents. As others mentioned the schedule still features what should be a lot of strong opponents.

And p5 matchups are great, assuming we win them. If we lose to Louisville or Cincy how much value does that add?

The most important thing to me is that right now, the Dukes control their own destiny in terms of postseason. They have multiple avenues including winning the reg season or winning the conference tourney.

If we are good enough to be worthy of a spot we will get there, and that’s all we can ask for in these crazy times. I am personally more upset about the cowardice down the street, that’s a p5 matchup I would assume we would win!

Either way, can’t wait for the season!

Agree about the cowardice of Chapel & Pitt. But AGAIN must win out A10 2 bid league because of big 5 bias. Duquesne has nothing to lose. Take a bus to Duke Mich St. Virginia or N. Carolina. No fans Dukes have  a 40% chance for win. Slay the dragon  increase at large bid. This team has the experience & talent to compete. Coach Dambrot roll the dice. Nothing to lose everything to gain.

11/20/2020 9:05 pm  #22

Ironduke81 wrote:

Agree about the cowardice of Chapel & Pitt. But AGAIN must win out A10 2 bid league because of big 5 bias. Duquesne has nothing to lose. Take a bus to Duke Mich St. Virginia or N. Carolina. No fans Dukes have  a 40% chance for win. Slay the dragon  increase at large bid. This team has the experience & talent to compete. Coach Dambrot roll the dice. Nothing to lose everything to gain.

That's the most disappointing thing about all of this. At this point any respectable power 5 opponent (Pitt very notably excluded) has a full schedule. Even if we said we'll go to your place for no money and for no return game ever, they wouldn't have the space on their schedule to even think about it. Dambrot and Harper did what they had to do. Pitt chickened out, Maryland got cancelled because of Covid. They went out and got in the Louisville MTE. Louisville didn't want to give us a game they went out and got a game in Indy against Cincy. That didn't work out and unfortunately there's really not many opportunities left. If we were Gonzaga or something of that ilk we could sell the perception that we tried and no one wanted to give us a game. Unfortunately our last 40 years haven't given us that benefit of the doubt. I'm still holding out hope that we find a power 5 game somewhere, but it's unlikely at this point.

11/21/2020 8:50 am  #23

Ironduke81 wrote:

on the road. Zero fans thanks to Covid.. If not say hello to NIT unless Duquesne wins the A10. 

Iron Duke:  Given that the NCAA is looking to play entirely at ONE site (Rumored to be Indy) and with THAT being funded by television money - Presuming something similar will happen on the ladies side - so "the second best site" (wherever that may be might not be an option either)  I DOUBT if there will be an NIT this year. Doubt if they could pull something off like that in Madison Square Garden or any other place.  Also presuming this applies to the CBI and any other post season play.

And since so many of the Power 5 schools are reluctant in NORMAL times to schedule solid Mid-Majors this year gives them another excuse - and when selection Sunday comes around the 9th place team from the ACC and 7th place team from the Big 12 and so on - could probably get more weight than maybe the third place team from the A-10.

SO the Dukes probably either need to win the tournament or finish second at the worst for post season play.

11/21/2020 9:45 am  #24

SkepticAl wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Iron Duke:  Given that the NCAA is looking to play entirely at ONE site (Rumored to be Indy) and with THAT being funded by television money - Presuming something similar will happen on the ladies side - so "the second best site" (wherever that may be might not be an option either)  I DOUBT if there will be an NIT this year. Doubt if they could pull something off like that in Madison Square Garden or any other place.  Also presuming this applies to the CBI and any other post season play.

And since so many of the Power 5 schools are reluctant in NORMAL times to schedule solid Mid-Majors this year gives them another excuse - and when selection Sunday comes around the 9th place team from the ACC and 7th place team from the Big 12 and so on - could probably get more weight than maybe the third place team from the A-10.

SO the Dukes probably either need to win the tournament or finish second at the worst for post season play.

Agree with your analysis but both Richmond & VCU completed  their OC schedules. Maybe Duquesne',s scheduling manager needs to take a sales course thru the business school. Can you imagine not completing the NCAA required 27 game schedule to qualify? Generally, I would not think twice but  again it is Duquesne.

11/24/2020 7:51 am  #25

Tennessee Classic cancelled VCU instead of doing nothing immediately replaces Wichita States at the Soux City S.D. Classic. Gee imagine that creativity in scheduling. 

Board footera