Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2020 11:57 am  #1

11/11/2020 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Conference Schedule

DU will also travel to Rchmond on a TBD date.  Six televised games.  ESPN+ will be streaming all of the non televised conference games?

https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Also looks like the Indianapolis games still have not be finalizes because not on the "full schedule" link above. 

11/11/2020 12:16 pm  #3

Does the season start with MTE Indianapolis?

11/11/2020 1:18 pm  #4

No thanks to the A-10 as the Dukes three of the their four Home and Home opponents on the road for the first meeting; and open on the road at St. Louis who is the highest rated team in the league.  We do get Fordham at home, but that was a near disaster last year.  I don't know who Fordham lost and who returned from last year; but it was a dogfight at the PPG last year.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/11/2020 5:30 pm)

11/11/2020 2:28 pm  #5

Real ESPN game vs Dayton.   Thats impressive.   Hopefully we are relevant Feb 2.

11/11/2020 3:29 pm  #6

Maybe it’s the Cooper Center inaugural game.🥳Even better does Coach Dambrot call in his chips with Lebron James to attend.🤔 No it makes to much sense😂Its Duquesne 😂

11/11/2020 4:09 pm  #7

KD said he wouldn't invite Lebron until he had a championship team.

11/11/2020 5:31 pm  #8

Lebron or no Lebron, it would make a great Coop opener, if the building is finished by then.

11/11/2020 6:42 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

Lebron or no Lebron, it would make a great Coop opener, if the building is finished by then.

Unfortunately, with only 400 people in the stands, it won't feel like a great moment.

11/11/2020 7:05 pm  #10

11/11/2020 7:13 pm  #11

Coach will be on with Zeise at 7:20 tonight.

11/11/2020 7:46 pm  #12

WashPaRick wrote:

Coach will be on with Zeise at 7:20 tonight.

Coach said he's riding the returning players early and then gradually working in some of the new guys. When Zeise asked him which new players are looking good he mentioned Harris, Baker and Bekelja(sp.)

11/11/2020 8:01 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Unfortunately, with only 400 people in the stands, it won't feel like a great moment.

It will feel like 95% of the home games during my years as a student.

11/11/2020 8:30 pm  #14

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

It will feel like 95% of the home games during my years as a student.

LOL!

11/11/2020 10:05 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Then maybe to start the 2021-2022 season we can have a MORE CONVENTIONAL OPENING

By raising a PAIR of NCAA Banners (Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball) to the rafters at "The Coop"

LETS GO DUKES!!!  LETS GO LADY DUKES"  

11/12/2020 11:43 am  #16

SkepticAl wrote:

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Then maybe to start the 2021-2022 season we can have a MORE CONVENTIONAL OPENING

By raising a PAIR of NCAA Banners (Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball) to the rafters at "The Coop"

LETS GO DUKES!!!  LETS GO LADY DUKES"  

I'm thinking the same thing. Have the official opening next year. Bobby Mo would be the no brainer, but St. Francis would work as well. Since this will be during the ooc schedule, it can't be Dayton, Bona, or LaSalle, but it needs to be someone we have a history with.

11/12/2020 12:14 pm  #17

Really, RMU or St Francis as an opener at the Coop?  I hope that's not the case.  I don't see any reason it has to be anyone with a history of playing Duquesne; that limits the possibilities too much.  

11/12/2020 3:10 pm  #18

levon1975 wrote:

Really, RMU or St Francis as an opener at the Coop?  I hope that's not the case.  I don't see any reason it has to be anyone with a history of playing Duquesne; that limits the possibilities too much.  

Because it's not like anyone attractive is going to come here. Why would you want the opening to be against some MEAC type school?

11/12/2020 5:05 pm  #19

A good opponent for the opening would be Pitt but Capel has his concerns.
Another team would be Villanova-I know a fantasy.
How about Xavier? Another fantasy?

11/12/2020 7:12 pm  #20

Econ69 wrote:

A good opponent for the opening would be Pitt but Capel has his concerns.
Another team would be Villanova-I know a fantasy.
How about Xavier? Another fantasy?

Those schools wouldn't even want us as a home game. All schools, including Duquesne, aren't in the business of doing favors. Coaches want to keep their jobs. Schools want to schedule a combination of sure wins, along with a couple of games against schools they see as peers. There are no top 50 schools that currently see Duquesne as a peer. Stack together 2-3 NCAA bids, and you'll be surprised how quickly schools like Seton Hall and PC will be willing to play.

11/12/2020 7:16 pm  #21

Covid is playing havoc on CBB.  Southern Illinois is out of the Louisville MTE (Louisville will now play Evansville).  The Ivy League just cancelled all winter sports, and this from Rothstein: Sources: All 22 Division 1 schools in New York State have submitted a formal request to the New York State Department of Health to have the travel guidelines and quarantine periods waived for those participating in winter sports, most notably college basketball.

As you know both Fordham and SBU are in NY.

To qualify for the NCAA a team must play a minimum of 23 games. As of now the Dukes have 18 League games, and three confirmed games in the Louisville MTE. The Indianapolis MTE is still not a done deal. The Dukes need to schedule more games and hope there are no lost games.

With Covid exponentially increasing and states warning on lockdowns, it is very difficult to see this season actually happening.

11/12/2020 7:55 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

Covid is playing havoc on CBB.  Southern Illinois is out of the Louisville MTE (Louisville will now play Evansville).  The Ivy League just cancelled all winter sports, and this from Rothstein: Sources: All 22 Division 1 schools in New York State have submitted a formal request to the New York State Department of Health to have the travel guidelines and quarantine periods waived for those participating in winter sports, most notably college basketball.

As you know both Fordham and SBU are in NY.

To qualify for the NCAA a team must play a minimum of 23 games. As of now the Dukes have 18 League games, and three confirmed games in the Louisville MTE. The Indianapolis MTE is still not a done deal. The Dukes need to schedule more games and hope there are no lost games.

With Covid exponentially increasing and states warning on lockdowns, it is very difficult to see this season actually happening.

With vaccinations likely starting at the end of the month, how quickly they can roll things out will play a huge role with regard to this season. They may have Covid on the run by mid March. The NCAA will waive that 23 game rule if the p5 schools are having difficulty meeting that number.

11/12/2020 8:38 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

The NCAA will waive that 23 game rule if the p5 schools are having difficulty meeting that number.

Plus I think the minimum is actually 13. The only place I've seen 23 mentioned is by Dambrot. Now normally I'd default to him on anything college basketball related, but I've seen 13 mentioned in several places. A few of them even mentioned that the 13 game minimum is half of 25 which it normally is. So I don't think it was merely a typo.

11/12/2020 8:54 pm  #24

duq81 wrote:

Those schools wouldn't even want us as a home game. All schools, including Duquesne, aren't in the business of doing favors. Coaches want to keep their jobs. Schools want to schedule a combination of sure wins, along with a couple of games against schools they see as peers. There are no top 50 schools that currently see Duquesne as a peer. Stack together 2-3 NCAA bids, and you'll be surprised how quickly schools like Seton Hall and PC will be willing to play.

Sadly you're right. Normally I'd say look for a school that a coach or administrator has ties to, but Dambrot has said he doesn't want to play Akron (not that that would be an attractive matchup anyway) and Harper's ties are to Dayton, which would obviously not be a season opener.

The best I can come up with is Detroit. First of all, I think they'd be happy to get a game with us (worst case we make it a home and home and hit our favorite recruiting area on the return trip). Secondly, we have some history with them. We could sell it to the priests since they are also a Catholic university. If we want to shoot for the moon with the opening, try to get LeBron to come in support of Dambrot. If we can do that, maybe Dickie V comes too because of his connections with Detroit. We might have to play it on a normal off day, but maybe we can get it on one of the ESPNs.

11/12/2020 10:17 pm  #25

Sure would like to get some more non-cons. I would try to get any school that's somewhat close. Cleveland St., Yoyngstown St.,Buffalo, Niagara,LeHigh, Layfayette,Bucknell  .I would also check out Pitt and W.V.U.s schedule and see if they had anyone coming in that we could get to stick around and play us. Chances are we may have reached out to these schools and couldn't get a game..

Board footera