Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2020 10:25 pm  #26

Re: Conference Schedule

I took another look at the staff bios and found a couple possibilities. Shaka Smart was an assistant under Dambrot for a few years and got his start in coaching as an assistant under our assistant Bill Brown. Perhaps Shaka would be willing to repay the favor with a road game Texas usually would never give.

Harper also was an assistant AD at Michigan for a couple years before his time at Dayton. Perhaps he still has some contacts there he could work something out with. They'd never give us a free home game, but perhaps a home and home or even a 2 for 1 which again we could get some recruiting in during the road games.

If nothing else, maybe Dambrot could work something out with Huggins to restart the series with West Virginia. They haven't been willing to play us in awhile, but I know they have alot of history. Perhaps their friendship and a special occasion is enough to at least get a home and home.

11/12/2020 11:06 pm  #27

WashPaRick wrote:

Coach will be on with Zeise at 7:20 tonight.

Wonder how Ze(ro) ise treats the coach who replaced Jim Ferry, who should have been given ten years.  Zeise is Mark Madden but not an extra fat suit size.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/13/2020 7:20 am  #28

He calls him his good friend.

11/13/2020 9:40 am  #29

Winthrop halts basketball activities due to covid.  Unclear how this affects Louisville MTE

http://www.wrhi.com/2020/11/winthrop-mens-basketball-halts-activities-due-to-positive-covid-19-cases-162475

11/13/2020 12:34 pm  #30

CLK wrote:

Covid is playing havoc on CBB.  Southern Illinois is out of the Louisville MTE (Louisville will now play Evansville).  The Ivy League just cancelled all winter sports, and this from Rothstein: Sources: All 22 Division 1 schools in New York State have submitted a formal request to the New York State Department of Health to have the travel guidelines and quarantine periods waived for those participating in winter sports, most notably college basketball.

As you know both Fordham and SBU are in NY.

To qualify for the NCAA a team must play a minimum of 23 games. As of now the Dukes have 18 League games, and three confirmed games in the Louisville MTE. The Indianapolis MTE is still not a done deal. The Dukes need to schedule more games and hope there are no lost games.

With Covid exponentially increasing and states warning on lockdowns, it is very difficult to see this season actually happening.

I just read this morning that the Indy MTE is going with the three teams, Duquesne, Cincinnati, and Loyola.  Two games for each team.  Hopefully it still happens; but I'm seeing a lot of comments out there supporting the cancellation of all non-Con games and playing only league games; perhaps in some kind of pod whenever possible.  Things are sinking fast, in terms of any kind of College Basketball season.  It would be a shame for Duquesne, but it might be necessitated by the seriousness of Covid in this winter. 

11/16/2020 10:56 am  #31

levon1975 wrote:

Really, RMU or St Francis as an opener at the Coop?  I hope that's not the case.  I don't see any reason it has to be anyone with a history of playing Duquesne; that limits the possibilities too much.  

Wait until the Dayton game, have that as the opening, let ESPN showcase the place on national tv.   400 fans, thats fine, the whole country will be under covid restrictions, so it wont look bad as 3000 fans without restrictions.  I just hope we are in the A10 mix come February. 
If they want to open before that, thats fine too.   Whenever it is ready, open and play there. 

11/16/2020 12:14 pm  #32

Loyola-Chicago hit by Covid pauses basketball activities.  The are scheduled to play DU in the Indianapolis MTE to start the season???

https://twitter.com/ZacharyMWeiss/status/1328375020662509568

11/16/2020 12:33 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

Loyola-Chicago hit by Covid pauses basketball activities.  The are scheduled to play DU in the Indianapolis MTE to start the season???

To complicate things more for DU.  Cincinnatti can't add anymore games outside of an MTE because they are at a single game scheduled limit.  Therefore, unless another team or two are added this MTE appears doomed.  Please feel free to fact check me as my track record has not been good on all these rule changes.   

11/16/2020 3:43 pm  #34

Duq81,
Check ur email.
Thanks,
FAM

11/16/2020 7:07 pm  #35

CLK wrote:

CLK wrote:

To complicate things more for DU.  Cincinnatti can't add anymore games outside of an MTE because they are at a single game scheduled limit.  Therefore, unless another team or two are added this MTE appears doomed.  Please feel free to fact check me as my track record has not been good on all these rule changes.   

To be clear, I do not think Cincinnatti will be able to play DU (see tweet below)  unless a third team is added to the MTE.  They need at least one more team to replace Loyola for this MTE to happen

https://twitter.com/ChadBrendel/status/1328387854242865160

11/16/2020 7:20 pm  #36

CLK wrote:

To be clear, I do not think Cincinnatti will be able to play DU (see tweet below)  unless a third team is added to the MTE.  They need at least one more team to replace Loyola for this MTE to happen

That is certainly what the Tweet indicates, but I don't think that is accurate. It's certainly possible things are different this year (everything else is, why not that too?), but at least in a normal season an exempt tournament would allow you to count multiple games (up to four I think) as one game against the maximum allowed. So Cincinnati would have 24 games, but be able to count the Duquesne and Loyola games as one to not go over the 25 game maximum. I don't know about Cincinnati's schedule, but if that were the case we'd still be able to play them. They just wouldn't be able to play someone else outside Indianapolis to make up for the Loyola game if it gets cancelled.

11/16/2020 7:53 pm  #37

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Lebron or no Lebron, it would make a great Coop opener, if the building is finished by then.

Unfortunately, with only 400 people in the stands, it won't feel like a great moment.

It will feel like 95% of the home games during my years as a student.

Brought back memories of Danny Nee's last year. At the final game, there couldn't have been 400 in the stands.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/16/2020 9:23 pm  #38

luckymcd wrote:

CLK wrote:

That is certainly what the Tweet indicates, but I don't think that is accurate. It's certainly possible things are different this year (everything else is, why not that too?), but at least in a normal season an exempt tournament would allow you to count multiple games (up to four I think) as one game against the maximum allowed. So Cincinnati would have 24 games, but be able to count the Duquesne and Loyola games as one to not go over the 25 game maximum. I don't know about Cincinnati's schedule, but if that were the case we'd still be able to play them. They just wouldn't be able to play someone else outside Indianapolis to make up for the Loyola game if it gets cancelled.

I have to admit that these rule changes are hard to keep up with and a little confusing.  What I see in the latest NCAA rule changes in October is that the number of maximum games for teams varies as follows.

There are three scheduling options for DI men's basketball teams.

• 24 regular-season games and up to three games in one multi-team event (MTE).
  • 25 regular-season games and up to two games in one MTE.
  • 25 regular-season games without playing in a MTE. 
  • As part of a new blanket waiver approved for MTEs, men's teams can compete in up to two MTEs as long as they do not exceed 27 regular-season games.

My read is that each game in an MTE counts towards the maximum 27 game max.  If a team does not play in an MTE they can only play 25 games full stop.  I don't know how many games Cincinnati has scheduled but according to the link they already have 25 games without an MTE .  Assuming this is in fact correct, the only way they could play DU is part of an MTE, except of course if one of their scheduled games cancel. 

11/17/2020 6:35 pm  #39

11/18/2020 6:42 am  #40

Duquesne’s men’s basketball schedule hasn’t been finalized, but the Dukes will play three games in five days in the Wade Houston Tipoff Classic at the University of Louisville’s KFC Yum! Center.The games will be at 4 p.m. Nov. 30 against Little Rock, 1 p.m. Dec. 2 against UNC Greensboro and 11 a.m Dec. 4 against Winthrop. During the 2019-20 season, Little Rock finished 21-10, UNC Greensboro 23-9 and Winthrop 24-10.The Dukes (21-9) had hoped to open the season with a multi-team event in Indianapolis prior to the trip to Louisville, but event organizers were unable to secure enough teams.

(From the Pgh. Paper.)

Board footera