Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2020 10:40 pm  #1

12/03/2020 10:46 pm  #2

Re: Former Pitt guard Ryan Murphy transfers to Duquesne

Interesting facts about this... He will be on the team as a walk on, and he will be the First Pitt player to ever play for Duquesne.

12/03/2020 11:04 pm  #3

He played in 30 games for the kittens last year, averaging 24.5 minutes and 7.6 pts shooting 33.1% from deep. 

Player profile:
https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/ryan-murphy/10384

Remember the famous Nicholls State game last year? If it weren't for him Pitt would have gotten even more embarrassed as his 28 points kept them in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OyBcx8cJW0

12/03/2020 11:17 pm  #4

Official press release with comments from Dambrot and a 10 minute 2020 season highlights video:
https://goduquesne.com/news/2020/12/3/mens-basketball-dukes-add-ryan-murphy-to-2020-21-roster.aspx

12/04/2020 7:37 am  #5

This guy is a good player the reason Pitt beat FSU, BC, and the tournament they were in  last year. His numbers are skewed because at the end of the season he got a bad concussion and was never the same. Actually watching some of Pitt games he was a fan favorite and an extremely hard worker. Note that he’s a catch and shoot guy and can not create too much off the dribble. Excited to see him play thought he would look good in a Duquesne jersey

12/04/2020 11:07 am  #6

I actually remember him which considering I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, is a good thing.  The two things I recall is that he is an excellent 3 point shooter and foul shooter.  Just having another competitive person at practice, with the uncertainty of Covid, flu season, etc. can only help the team.  I wouldn't be surprised that by mid-season, he ends up coming in at times for TDM.
Go Dukes!

12/04/2020 11:39 am  #7

FAM wrote:

I actually remember him which considering I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, is a good thing.  The two things I recall is that he is an excellent 3 point shooter and foul shooter.  Just having another competitive person at practice, with the uncertainty of Covid, flu season, etc. can only help the team.  I wouldn't be surprised that by mid-season, he ends up coming in at times for TDM.

Go Dukes!

At this point,just getting to mid-season would be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by phil95 (12/04/2020 12:00 pm)

12/04/2020 3:27 pm  #8

I really like this addition for the Dukes.  He is a mature player with the ability to get hot fro distance and win you games.  He can give you three good shooters on the floor if a team tries to sag on our bigs.; and a nice  surprise before Christmas!

12/04/2020 4:13 pm  #9

He struggled once they got into ACC play where the players guarding him tended to have a lot of length and athleticism. This will be less of a problem in the A10. Gives us another option when we're getting poor play at the 2 and 3.

12/04/2020 7:57 pm  #10

Well, some coaches are better at getting the maximum out os situational players like Murphy.  I don’t think Capel really did him any favors; probably why he left.

12/04/2020 9:25 pm  #11

levon1975 wrote:

Well, some coaches are better at getting the maximum out os situational players like Murphy. I don’t think Capel really did him any favors; probably why he left.

He graduated with intentions to go pro, eventually deciding against it due to Covid. Since he didn't go to Europe like planned he was eligible to grad transfer. I don't necessarily think he chose to leave Pitt for Duquesne, but I am interested to hear his thoughts in an interview.

12/05/2020 7:55 am  #12

He was leaving Pitt one way or another.  He first chose Tulane then backed off and considered Pro ball in Europe then ended up at Duquesne.  I don’t really care how he got here; just hope he can help the team win. 
His concussion last year during the season probably had more to do with his reduced production than playing ACC teams since he missed time due to the concussion and was never the same player for the remainder of the season.  Plus Pitt’s perimeter shooting was a joke! If he was healthy he was there best and only shooter.

12/05/2020 10:30 am  #13

Back in the time machine - the Satalin years. Mark Beavers and Marlon Ferguson were two local players, both heavily recruited by Duquesne and Pitt. Somehow they decided that if one went to Pitt the other would go to Duquesne. Ferguson chose Pitt. Beavers ended up at Duquesne. As I recall, Ferguson wasn't much of an impact at Pitt. Beavers had 2 good years at Duquesne but his last two years were lackluster. Player development under Satalin was kind of non-existent. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/05/2020 11:33 am  #14

KenOTR73 wrote:

Back in the time machine - the Satalin years. Mark Beavers and Marlon Ferguson were two local players, both heavily recruited by Duquesne and Pitt. Somehow they decided that if one went to Pitt the other would go to Duquesne. Ferguson chose Pitt. Beavers ended up at Duquesne. As I recall, Ferguson wasn't much of an impact at Pitt. Beavers had 2 good years at Duquesne but his last two years were lackluster. Player development under Satalin was kind of non-existent. 

KenOTR73, back then, Ferguson was reported as ready to sign with the Dukes according to the Pittsburgh Press. And then something mysterious took place.
I was in Aliquippa a day or two before the letter of intent was to be signed by Ferguson.
I was talking to one of the top administration people of the old Aliquippa Hospital and somehow, we began discussing the imminent Ferguson signing. I was guaranteed at that moment that Ferguson would never wear a Duke's uniform. They all knew.
Long story, short: A very prominent and politically connected surgeon in Aliquippa had just paid Ferguson a personal visit after the Pittsburgh Press article was published, and lo-and-behold, Ferguson immediately changed his mind and signed with Pitt.
One other small detail I did not mention, this particular doctor was president of the Golden Panthers, I was informed.
And that, KenOTR73, Is how we did not get both Beavers and Ferguson that year. Before God Almighty, I swear this to be true.

12/05/2020 11:45 am  #15

apluski, thanks for that revelation. It clears up what, to me, was a really strange set of circumstances. More reason than ever to hate Pitt!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/06/2020 10:50 am  #16

I think Murphy will fit in good with the rest of the squad. From what's on tape I'm not seeing any backdown from him. From the Pitt site I see where he was hitting close to 40% from the 3 before the concussion.

12/11/2020 2:37 pm  #17

12/30/2020 12:36 pm  #18

1/09/2021 4:06 pm  #19

Board footera