Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 6:40 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - George Washington Colonials (A2)

CLK, Iron duke, Phil - all you guys have valid points and my frustration level is right there with all of you.  Here are some things I'd like to get off my chest.  When the other team loses 3 players and has 2 players left that do most of the scoring, one of whom is tasked with handling the ball at the point, PRESS the (profanity) out of them to wear them out - especially when KD is crowing about our depth.  Good grief, we should have tired out Bishop no question.  One of those radio guys should ask KD about this and I don't want to hear the damn excuse that we haven't practiced enough.  A man to man press on Bishop would have worn him out and we could have run several different guys at him with our depth.  Next point, Acuff played very well in the first half and then didn't seem to play in the second much, why not when SC wasn't playing his best?  Foul shooting cost us the game, but so did all the boneheaded turnovers.  And Phil I have to disagree a bit when it comes to Rotroff.  He is big, but he doesn't move to get the ball off the board and he is slow off his feet when rebounding.  How many times does he not get defensive rebounds when he is down low?  As good as Kelly was yesterday he too cost us today, but that doesn't completely surprise me given how much time he has missed -  he'll be ok.  Also, it is inexcusable that we got a T for Baker not being put in the score book, but I would like to hear what KD has to say about that as it looked like the assistant coach was trying to get the ref to look at his IPad, which I am presuming had the roster we submitted, but again this should never happen.  Maceo played the best I've seen him since before the family death which derailed him last year.  He should have gotten more minutes considering how hot he was.  I am just mystified by the lack of playing time for Acuff under today's circumstances and pissed by our failure to press a shorthanded team as noted above.  That and the TO's and horrific foul shooting cost us a game we had no business losing.  Pistol out.

1/03/2021 7:01 pm  #27

Wow!  I waited to post because of what all of you said!  I didn’t want to overreact but it looks like I couldn’t have with what everyone posted.  That is not a criticism!  So, I’ll just sum up my critical take...poor coaching today from the beginning to the end - and with bizarre substitutions or lack thereof.  Go Dukes!

1/03/2021 7:44 pm  #28

Now, I'm actually pissed-off. I would call that an egregious missed call.

Thanks for posting this?

1/03/2021 7:47 pm  #29

I think what this game shows more than anything is we're not a good enough team to bring our C game and still win a conference game. I thought we were going to pull it out and I was all ready to come here and say how good a sign it is that we could play our C game and still pull out a win, but we didn't. I have to wonder if Sin and Hughes are healthy after a month off. They are our veteran players, so they really should be playing better at this point. I feel bad for Marcus, as he tried to take the team on his back and lead them to a W, but just couldn't get it done on his own. It was great to see Austin get it going in the first half, but where was he after that? I still think we have as much depth as anyone in conference, but we need our stars to shine to be at our best. Weathers did, but we need all three to be at our best.

1/03/2021 7:56 pm  #30

phil95 wrote:

Now, I'm actually pissed-off. I would call that an egregious missed call.

Thanks for posting this?

I don't see it that way. By the letter of the law it's a foul, but I don't think that will be called most times even if there's 10 minutes left. In an end game situation I don't expect that to ever be called. We had plenty of chances to win today, we just didn't play well enough. We shouldn't have even let it come down to asking for a foul with 30 seconds left.

1/03/2021 8:59 pm  #31

Any new pics of the Coop?   Need something positive.

1/03/2021 10:28 pm  #32

This group has been a pretty good FT shooting team.  I don’t think this will be a long-term problem.  Conditioning affects shooting.  When the legs aren’t strong the shooting is going to suffer.  This is understandable given the lack of practice.  Perhaps two games in two days wasn’t the best idea after being idle for a month. 
One day to rest before a very tough game against Davidson.

1/03/2021 11:09 pm  #33

And another thing, if Lamar doesn't shoot the ball better as your starting 2 guard then we need to see way, way more of Murphy.  Lamar has shown us only "moments" over 3 years, as my good friend The Professor noted, but that is it and that is not enough.  I would venture to guess Lamar is shooting like 30% from the field so far this year and that is not cutting it.  That is also a good point about playing your best players Napa and also playing your hot players that particular game.  I thought in first game KD did that with Kelly and Akani, but I would have liked to see more of that today with Maceo and Acuff getting some minutes in the second half.  Acuff looked really in control and distributed the ball nicely and had a nice finish at the rim as well.  He needed more than 4 minutes.  I am still pissed, this is a bad loss and I don't agree with KD's comment that we lost it with 2 mistakes at the end - failure to call a time out and failure to cover/roll on Bishop's 3 - see dkpittsburghsports.com.  No KD, the game shouldn't have come down to the mistakes with 15 seconds left, we lost it before then by: (i)  missing 13 free throws and shooting 43.5% from the foul line to GW's 14-18 for a nice 77.8%; (ii) turning the ball over 16 times to GW's 11; (iii) shooting 33.3% from the 3 to GW's 36; (iv) getting nothing from Hughes due to foul trouble; and (v) FAILING TO PRESS and wear out AN UNDERMANNED AND OVERMATCHED TEAM!!!  And while I am on a roll Rotroff needs to get more than 2 rebounds in 20 min. of action - see earlier post - and if Marcus (as good as he was) shoots 3-10 from the charity stripe teams will start giving him the Shaq treatment.  This loss ruined my day and night boys, as you can see (LOL).  Tough game against a well coached team on Tuesday, we'll see if we can rebound (no pun intended Austin R)!!!!  Pistol out...............

1/03/2021 11:09 pm  #34

Carry also had a triple ocho... 8, 8, and 8. that's not too bad. Foul shooting is what killed us. When you keep a game with GW close you better at least be hitting your foul shots.

1/03/2021 11:35 pm  #35

I didn't notice that but wow that is a horrible push off. Oh well. Tough day.

1/04/2021 10:26 am  #36

The refs had it out for Michael Hughes. Almost not worth mentioning but he was not allowed to play basketball yesterday.

1/04/2021 11:36 am  #37

Turnovers and missed free throws killed us. More to the point, make your free throws at an acceptable clip, you win the game. Simple as that.

Veterans on this team definitely need to step up across the board. Tough when you have no practice for a month while others are playing and practicing but it’s time to shake off the rust and get this thing going in the right direction. One positive about the early COVID outbreak is it sounds like most everyone got it aka another outbreak or pause in the program should basically be a non-issue as most are now likely immune. Should be able to get to the finish line without another pause so hopefully we can get back on track.

I watched Davidson lose a game to a bad Charlotte team earlier in the season, it’s happening all over college basketball this year. Yesterday sucked but certainly doesn’t destroy the ultimate goal. I still think this team is plenty talented to make an A10 tourney run this year, especially with how the league looks in general. Gotta get right, Go Dukes!

Last edited by Duques102 (1/04/2021 12:20 pm)

1/04/2021 11:53 am  #38

Duques102 wrote:

Turnovers and missed free throws killed us. More to the point, make your free throws at an acceptable clip, you win the game. Simple as that.

Veterans on this team definitely need to step up across the board. Tough when you have no practice for a month while others are playing and practicing but it’s time to shake off the rust and get this thing going in the right direction. One positive about the early COVID outbreak is it sounds like most everyone got it aka another outbreak or pause in the program should basically be a non-issue as most are now likely immune. Should be able to get to the finish line without another pause so hopefully we can get back on track.

I watched Davidson lose a bad game to Charlotte team earlier in the season, it’s happening all over college basketball this year. Yesterday sucked but certainly doesn’t destroy the ultimate goal. I still think this team is plenty talented to make an A10 tourney run this year, especially with how the league looks in general. Gotta get right, Go Dukes!

Your cogent immunity point made me wonder if KD ever tested positive. I never read that.

It would be very Duquesne-like to have 98% of its traveling party immune but still have another long stoppage because the one, still vulnerable person get sick.

1/04/2021 12:57 pm  #39

DukesDan wrote:

The refs had it out for Michael Hughes. Almost not worth mentioning but he was not allowed to play basketball yesterday.

Very true; only in a (profanity) league run by a completely incompetent Commissioner would a multi-year vendetta against a player be allowed to continue!  This must stop!  Refs aggressively go after Hughes game after game trying to draw him into a technical!  Refs are an awful group; full of petty biases; and grudges against players and coaches which they somehow rationalize as being justified. 
I know this for a fact; it is much more common than you think.  I know this from experience!

1/04/2021 1:38 pm  #40

DukesDan wrote:

Mike started the game a bit hyper; we have seen this before and that is why Keith has not started him in some games. Almost immediately, Hughes and GW's Dean (#13) were doing a lot of bumping and pushing of each other. At the 18:01 mark, Hughes was called for his first foul for an illegal screen.  To me, this foul was caused by Sincere making his move before Hughes established position. 40 seconds later, Hughes thought that he was fouled on a drive and it looked to me as if he was. Hughes ended up under the basket, said something to the ref and was late getting down court; his man GW's Dean scored on an uncontested dunk. On the next possession, Hughes and Dean bumped at the foul line, Hughes pushed his arm away and was moving down to the low block when Dean arm barred him. Mike then hooked his arm.  This resulted in a double personal foul on Hughes and Dean at the 17:02 mark. In many cases, the ref will usually control these behaviors verbally, giving warning. Perhaps those two were already warned; couldn't tell. Regardless, goodbye, Mike, for the balance of the 1st half. 

1/04/2021 2:10 pm  #41

With Hughes on the court yesterday, Dukes probably win, Rotroff was fine, but Kelly was a liability Sunday.  Plain and simple, his wasteful fouls cost the Dukes a W, IMO.

Board footera