Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2021 3:21 pm  #1

Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 01/05/2021 at the La Roche University Kerr Fitness Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Dukes #89 (2-2; 1-1) vs Davidson Wildcats #74 (5-4; 1-1)

Game prediction: Dukes win by 1, 69-68 - Dukes with 53% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 1½ point favorites; Over/Under 136½
Duquesne 2-2 Against the Spread; Davidson 5-4 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): UNC Greensboro (117); George Washington (206)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): George Washington (206); Little Rock (137)
Davidson Best Win(s): Rhode Island (77); UNLV (141); Vanderbilt (143)
Davidson Worst Loss(es): Charlotte (166); Richmond (59); Providence (58)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Davidson for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (36); Turnover % (89)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (20)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (327)

Here's a look at Davidson in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (11)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (2)  
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (12); Effective FG % (12)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (37); FT Rate (57)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1); Effective FG % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (11)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (13)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Davidson Adj Offense Efficiency - 111.7, #25 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.7, #102 in D-1
Davidson Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.8, #158 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.6, #79 in D-1
Davidson Adj Tempo - 63.8, #352 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.7, #229 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Davidson 1.77 yrs, #175 in D-1; Dukes 1.97 yrs, #97 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Davidson 65.0%, #41 in D-1; Dukes 74.7%, #12 in D-1
Average Height - Davidson 78.5", #13 in D-1; Dukes 75.9", #302 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 121st in the country.
Davidson is 70th in the country.
Automated Game Preview: https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=4355&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

1/04/2021 4:57 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats (H)

La Roche gymnasium, we meet again.

1/04/2021 5:59 pm  #3

With the way the Dukes played against GW (2nd time) I am surprised they are favored.
Go Dukes

1/04/2021 6:29 pm  #4

Legendary coach I am sure Davidson will submit a correct roster.😂😂😂

1/04/2021 7:19 pm  #5

Ironduke81 wrote:

Don't see how it was coaches fault that Baker's name wasn't in the book. If coach was micromanaging the team so much that it was his job to write each players name in the book that could be a problem. That is most likely somebody else's job and I hope they were given some trouble for their mistake. Maybe an assistant coach or manager.

1/04/2021 8:07 pm  #6

BluffHunter wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Don't see how it was coaches fault that Baker's name wasn't in the book. If coach was micromanaging the team so much that it was his job to write each players name in the book that could be a problem. That is most likely somebody else's job and I hope they were given some trouble for their mistake. Maybe an assistant coach or manager.

sorry someone’s head should roll. This is not grade school basketball. Gave up one free point for pure incompetence. 

1/04/2021 8:23 pm  #7

Might be a dumb question but I am curious and could attend.

Are fans allowed at the game now that some of the restrictions today for restaurants and bars have went back to what they were.

Thanks

1/04/2021 8:34 pm  #8

Bsduq2008 wrote:

Might be a dumb question but I am curious and could attend.

Are fans allowed at the game now that some of the restrictions today for restaurants and bars have went back to what they were.

Thanks

No fans for at least the January games, that's what I heard. Hopefully restrictions stay lifted and by February we can get a limited capacity in.

1/04/2021 8:35 pm  #9

Ironduke81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

sorry someone’s head should roll. This is not grade school basketball. Gave up one free point for pure incompetence. 

Agreed it's unacceptable, just probably not coaches job to check and see if everybodys name is there.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/04/2021 8:35 pm)

1/04/2021 8:38 pm  #10

Ironduke81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

I have a strong feeling that the process for submitting your roster to the official scorer has gone electronic. One of the assistants quickly produced a tablet trying to show the ref something. It certainly wasn’t the same as having a paper official scorebook. I suspect that there is no physical interaction between the teams and the official scorer.

It was also strange that the official scorer was in the opposite side of the court from the benches. That also caused an issue with TDM not being able to enter the game in the last 30 seconds of the game. I’m curious about the set up for the Dukes “home” game tomorrow.

1/05/2021 9:29 am  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I have a strong feeling that the process for submitting your roster to the official scorer has gone electronic. One of the assistants quickly produced a tablet trying to show the ref something. It certainly wasn’t the same as having a paper official scorebook. I suspect that there is no physical interaction between the teams and the official scorer.

It was also strange that the official scorer was in the opposite side of the court from the benches. That also caused an issue with TDM not being able to enter the game in the last 30 seconds of the game. I’m curious about the set up for the Dukes “home” game tomorrow.

I agree with this, Phoenix. This isn't on the head coach. These things are handled "automatically" in a system by underlings. If a mistake such as this is made, it's my opinion that heads, indeed, should roll. But certainly not the head coach's head. Maybe in grade school basketball, but not in NCAA Division I. That's why there are many support personnel. I think you are correct that in this wacky year where nothing is normal -- where players are spaced out on the bench and scorer's tables are makeshift on different sides of the floor, Dambrot is absolutely correct in suggesting there should be equal consideration for adjustments in rules such as allowing some slack if a kid doesn't get in in the allotted time allowed because maybe the communication process is altered with everyone out of place. Same with an electronic screwup that maybe didn't get recorded or carried out in the same manner as it would with a fulltime staff on press row connected to the benches, etc. Strange times call for strange measures. This incident goes way beyond the head coach. I doubt anyone would blame Bill Self, Roy Williams or Bob Huggins if this had happened with their program. No, they would have blamed some GA who screwed up. 

1/05/2021 10:48 am  #12

It's gameday, so we have to move on from the last game no matter how frustrating it was.

Davidson is a good team and always gets good coaching with McKillop there. They slow things down and run very efficient offensive sets. Our defense will have to be rock solid if we are going to beat them. The bigs especially will have to stay disciplined as they always have good big men even if they aren't the traditional back to the basket guys.

Defensively they are very vanilla. I think we have the better athletes, so that favors us. They will let us run our sets, so we have to be willing to work it for a good shot. Hopefully Sin bounces back from whatever has been plaguing him, and hopefully bad TDM doesn't show up tonight.

It's going to be a 40 minute battle. I'd feel better about it if it was a true home game, but we got over the hump against them last year and I think we do it again tonight. We need to recover quickly though. If we play the way  we did in the second game against GW we don't stand a chance against a much better team.

Last edited by luckymcd (1/05/2021 10:53 am)

1/05/2021 10:49 am  #13

Looks like a few dollars are coming in on Davidson - the current betting line is Davidson favored by 1½.

1/05/2021 11:23 am  #14

I agree with Iron Duq 81. As a high school referee when I go to check the book before a game, I ask coaches if they are sure the book is containing all his players. They double check and give a thumbs up. It takes 15 seconds. Now in college someone else does it, but there should be someone else double checking the book. After all who wants to start a game not crossing their t’s and dotting their I’s. All the coach has to do is ask his assistant that double checks, if the book is good. That takes two seconds.  Also I agree with a lot of posters that we should have pressed GW’s eye balls out the second game. We had the longer bench plus they are without their two best guards and a very short bench to play back to back games. !! Sincere travel was on the coach. Call a time out at that point and also get TDM in the game ! There are a lot of other things but it’s early in the season and total chaos with this COVID.

1/05/2021 11:31 am  #15

Wildwood13 wrote:

I agree with Iron Duq 81. As a high school referee when I go to check the book before a game, I ask coaches if they are sure the book is containing all his players. They double check and give a thumbs up. It takes 15 seconds. Now in college someone else does it, but there should be someone else double checking the book. After all who wants to start a game not crossing their t’s and dotting their I’s. All the coach has to do is ask his assistant that double checks, if the book is good. That takes two seconds. Also I agree with a lot of posters that we should have pressed GW’s eye balls out the second game. We had the longer bench plus they are without their two best guards and a very short bench to play back to back games. !! Sincere travel was on the coach. Call a time out at that point and also get TDM in the game ! There are a lot of other things but it’s early in the season and total chaos with this COVID.

Wildwood13, what if there is no book now or what if the coaches do not have access to the book?  I'm just not sure what is the protocol now.  Also, TDM was in the game when Sincere traveled.  I could not tell if Sin first fumbled the ball a bit, because he had an easy pass to Marcus open at the foul line and then another opportunity for a pass to TDM in the corner. He held the ball for a second too long allowing the double team to take shape.

1/05/2021 12:00 pm  #16

Not certain of the protocol, but if holding team responsible, almost certain that is their duties in some way to provide accurate rosters. TDM I unfortunately meshed with the end of the game. I was talking about when he was going to scorers table and could not get in. If he called a TO then and told them why, they probably would have let him come in and make the players go on the court with out a charged TO. As for Sincere, as soon as the double team happened, call a TO.

1/05/2021 1:28 pm  #17

Agreed, Wildwood13.  No excuse on the roster issue; blame is on the Dukes staff.  And Sin should have called that time out as soon as he got trapped.

1/05/2021 3:12 pm  #18

1/05/2021 5:13 pm  #19

1/05/2021 7:20 pm  #20

Weathers getting mugged.

1/05/2021 7:21 pm  #21

Do these announcers realize there is a game going on?

1/05/2021 7:58 pm  #22

Fordham just beat Dayton.

1/05/2021 8:03 pm  #23

BluffHunter wrote:

Fordham just beat Dayton.

I watched it and would have lost a bundle if I was a better.

1/05/2021 8:03 pm  #24

Dukes imploding.

1/05/2021 8:06 pm  #25

Offense is so bad.   So bad!

Starting to lose hope for this team.   Look worse than 2017.      They do nothing good.   Getting beat by N’sync looking preps.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/05/2021 8:23 pm)

Board footera