Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2012 5:20 pm  #1

Youngstown State

The Penguins are favored by 2½ vs. the Dukes.  Let's see if we can get a win being an underdog.

BTW, the line opened with the Dukes being 1 point favorites.  The money guys obviously are rolling with Youngstown St.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/21/2012 5:21 pm)

11/21/2012 8:57 pm  #2

Re: Youngstown State

Abele: 9 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 0 turnovers.
Marhold: 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block, 3 turnovers.

Big games for Q, Colter, and Pantophlet.

11/21/2012 9:03 pm  #3

Blows my mind that Abele isn't starting.

11/21/2012 9:07 pm  #4

Big win by Duquesne.  The Dukes showed a lot of character bouncng back from the  NDS loss.  BTW NDS beat JMU by 22.

Abele keeps getting better. Go Dukes!

11/21/2012 9:09 pm  #5

DukesDan wrote:

Be patient. He wouldn't even be playing if RE was still here. Anytime there is a coaching change, there's always some kid that was buried on the bench who blossoms under the new coach.

11/21/2012 9:21 pm  #6

You are right about that!

11/21/2012 9:45 pm  #7

Abele was on post game show. Very likable young man.   I'm glad he did well and we bounced back from last night.

11/21/2012 9:56 pm  #8

11/21/2012 10:22 pm  #9

Whew!  Jekyll and Hyde team.  Dukes looked great tonight.  Abele was outstanding, not just in statistics but by altering the game by filling the lane and keeping his hands high.  Even if he doesn't get the rebound, he punches it to someone else.  Very pleased with his aggressiveness an improved skill set.  Marhold was much better than statistics indicate, He was really working tonight.  Johnson, winters, and Colter played real well too.  However, they tend to get sloppy and telegraph passes at times.  Ferry is going to get a T eventually for being too far out on the floor.  He'd walk to the free throw line if he thought he could get away with it.  It's going to cost the Dukes down the road, watch.  Hope P J didn't hurt his wrist too bad.  Great win, can't believe the turn around from last night.

11/21/2012 10:36 pm  #10

Great job by Jerry and Jeremiah on Perry. Good to see Jerry getting out on the shooters tonight. last night he seemed to lack hustle closing on the shooters.

11/22/2012 8:20 am  #11

I thought Johnson quietly played a great game.  He played under control and looking at his stats he had 9 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and only 1 turnover.  Colter reminds me of Chaz Williams.  He will be a great player, but the sooner he learns to make better decisions with the ball the better for the Dukes.  He had 6 turnovers last night with probably 4 of those in the closing minutes of the game when Youngstown made their run.

Marhold played hard but was 0-7 with only 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers.  I never thought I would say it but I am much more comfortable with Abele and Martin than Marhold at this point.

Box Score

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/duq-ysu.html

Last edited by CLK (11/22/2012 8:21 am)

11/22/2012 11:27 am  #12

WashPaRick wrote:

Great job by Jerry and Jeremiah on Perry. Good to see Jerry getting out on the shooters tonight. last night he seemed to lack hustle closing on the shooters.

The coaches really stressed that they needed to force Perry to his left, completely taking away his ability to dribble drive right.  Jay did a GREAT job setting the tone right from the opening tip; holding Perry scoreless over the first 7 minutes and allowing the Dukes to get out to an 11 point lead.  Jerry stepped in and did a good job also.

11/22/2012 1:07 pm  #13

duqkurt wrote:

Abele was on post game show. Very likable young man.   I'm glad he did well and we bounced back from last night.

The kid's always talking about working hard and getting better on Twitter. Can't help but like that too!

11/22/2012 1:28 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

DukesDan wrote:

Be patient. He wouldn't even be playing if RE was still here. Anytime there is a coaching change, there's always some kid that was buried on the bench who blossoms under the new coach.

Duq81, how in the hell do you know that Abele wouldn't be playing if RE was still here? Maybe it's true, maybe not, but it's total speculation on your part and another unnecessary shot at RE. You just can't seem to conceal your disdain for RE.

11/22/2012 3:48 pm  #15

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DukesDan wrote:

Duq81, how in the hell do you know that Abele wouldn't be playing if RE was still here? Maybe it's true, maybe not, but it's total speculation on your part and another unnecessary shot at RE. You just can't seem to conceal your disdain for RE.

Westender, let's not resort to insults. No one is more pro-RE than I am, and I would be the first to tell you that Abele would probably be buried on the bench right now.

11/22/2012 7:18 pm  #16

Sorry to rain on some parades.  Abele is a stopper , not a starter.  He does not have the speed, stamina, or skill set to start or remain in a game for very long.  Ferry is playing him correctly.  If he sees another team starting a run by going inside, he plugs Abele in to slow up the easy inside baskets.  It is not a knock on Abele, I really like him, but it is what it is.  Martin also gets exposed quickly for having no offensive skills, but he can give Marhold a breather, too.  Marhold is the best bet, even though he is overmatched at the center position.  He is simply too small to be a true center,but he is the Duke's best choice right now. Too bad he had to play most of his career as a center instead of a forward.  Next year would have been great for him, because the Duke's should have additional help with Soko, Watkins, and Datt, in addition to Abele and Martin.

11/22/2012 7:46 pm  #17

ED - just now saw your post. I wouldn't call my post an insult. I see it more as a defense of somebody who is not in a position to defend himself. And I don't necessarily agree that RE would have Abele buried on the bench. He does appear to be imporoved and given that combined with Andre's weaknesses,I think RE might not have had a choice but to give Martins some minutes. Of course the next thing I might see posted is that Martins would not have improved under RE and his staff, thereby validating your comment that he would be buried on the bench.

Notwithstanding the internal difficulties, RE was a great ambassador for the University as evidenced by the wide support he got from the sports media and elsewhere when he was fired. I don't think it's necessary to pile on with criticisms and comments about how much better the coaching is now. I think RE suffered sufficient humiliation when he was let go.

11/22/2012 9:01 pm  #18

Prince, next year, Marhold may not have gotten off the bench. And the more Abele plays, the more (and better) he does. All you have to do is look at the stat sheets to see that. I was actually hopeful we would get more out of Marhold than we have this year, but he really has taken a step back. Whether it's the system or something else, I don't know.

Westender, believe me, I understand what you're saying about Everhart. I've said already that he belongs in the DU Athletic Hall of Fame. Would be fitting to see him go in with Aaron Jackson. I think you can deliver your point (as you did) without ascribing emotion to others.

11/22/2012 9:31 pm  #19

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DukesDan wrote:

Simple, RE was going to play his "chaotic" gambling style, and Abele can't play that style. We saw that last year. I don't have any disdain for RE, and I appreciate what he did, but I though that he was toast once TJ bailed on him, therefore, I didn't have a problem with the change being made.

11/23/2012 11:18 am  #20

I think a lot of the credit for Abele's improvement belongs to himself and to Coach Rhodes. It's not too often in our recent history that we've had a coach who was an experienced post player.

Also with Marhold, he made a lot of nice moves in the post and created nicely for himself. The shots didn't fall, but he did help get Damian Eargle into foul trouble. Marhold walked a fine line between a 2 and a 12 point performance against the Penguins and he ended up with the two. On the flip side, ll but one of his turnovers were really bad and his stone hands could become a thing of legend. However, I actually think he looks better in the early going, but the early returns haven't show it.

11/23/2012 11:34 am  #21

duq81 -  I hope you take my reaction, or should I say my overreaction to your post, as a defense of Ron - not an attack on you. The emotion is a result of my very strong belief (knowledge) that Ron was, as you put it "toast", long before TJ bailed. It was personal. TJ bailing just presented the opportunity to dump him now in the belief, hope or expectation that people would be more accepting of the firing with the loss of TJ - in other words just as you apparently reacted.

11/23/2012 1:09 pm  #22

I'll always wonder what would have happened, had the shooting not occurred. I thought we had a chance to be pretty good Ron's first year, and I'll always believe that had we not gone to the 10/40, (which happened because of the shooting), Ron's second team would have been the breakthrough squad. James, Achara, and Baldonado would have been an unstoppable front line, and we were loaded with good guards.

11/23/2012 1:30 pm  #23

ElDuque wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

The kid's always talking about working hard and getting better on Twitter. Can't help but like that too!

IMHO, when Abele is on the court there is no player that gives more effort towards attempting to do the right things than he. I like having him available. Factually, he is just so incredibly massive that defensively all he need do is stand with raised hands. When he does this he alters more shots than fans give him credit. Twice, this past home stand, I watched him partially shut-out (let's say, drastically slow down) the big guys from the other teams who were were just killing us inside with easy shots--and that was just by standing his ground with his arms raised.
Abele is also the only Dukes inside player that doesn't back up when the offensive player with the ball begins backing (pushing backwards) in towards the basket. As a result, these opposing players were forced to pass the ball outside rather than to continue backing into the rim for 2 to 3 foot shots (which was happening consistently in the James Madison and N Dakota State games).
I believe Abele has improved (ever so, so slightly from last year) with good coaching and his own personal work ethic. Realistically I do not foresee him ever become a dominating force, but I really like the way Coach Ferry uses him. I think he is more effective coming off the bench. If stamina permits, maybe playing for longer and/or more frequent stints.

11/23/2012 1:44 pm  #24

duq81 wrote:

I'll always wonder what would have happened, had the shooting not occurred. I thought we had a chance to be pretty good Ron's first year, and I'll always believe that had we not gone to the 10/40, (which happened because of the shooting), Ron's second team would have been the breakthrough squad. James, Achara, and Baldonado would have been an unstoppable front line, and we were loaded with good guards.

To me, it is so incredibly surprising that you bring up that question. Over the years, I have wondered the exact same thing many, many times. I can't count the number of times I began writing about that on one of the boards, only to delete it. As I recall, the big guys were pretty highly regarded at the time. I think it reasonable to assume that we would have had better teams than what actually transpired. Without the shootings, Duquesne basketball may have traveled a totally different road and would certainly have changed history.

11/23/2012 2:26 pm  #25

apluski wrote:

duq81 wrote:

To me, it is so incredibly surprising that you bring up that question. Over the years, I have wondered the exact same thing many, many times. I can't count the number of times I began writing about that on one of the boards, only to delete it. As I recall, the big guys were pretty highly regarded at the time. I think it reasonable to assume that we would have had better teams than what actually transpired. Without the shootings, Duquesne basketball may have traveled a totally different road and would certainly have changed history.

duq81 & aplus - Ron's first class might have been his best. Let's not forget Sam Ashalou who looked to be a strong and tough player. And Baldonado looked like he could a beast on the boards with 10-12 ppg potential. When you think about it, had the shootings not occurred, it is reasonable to assume that the years that followed would have taken an entirely different path - specifically I'm thinking DU being a much more attractive program with resulting better recruiting classes.

Board footera