Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2021 11:43 am  #26

Re: Carry Will Transfer

FAM wrote:

This question is just to keep my mind off the Steeler blow-up last night - and I know that a few of you have the ability (unlike me) to find this.  I didn't think that TJ McConnell would play in the NBA - I didn't ever say he couldn't, I just never thought of it.  So here is my question for you stats people.  What is the comparison between Sincere and TJ over their years in terms of shots, assists, etc.?   Will Sincere also get there?  One of the reasons that TJ left...one of them is he wanted to get to the NCAA and didn't believe he would do that staying at Duquesne.  So...
Thanks....
Go Dukes

There's a lot of comparing Sin to Williams Jr. and Mcconnell in this thread but here's what I think. Sin isn't either of those guys. Yes Eric had a similar recruiting situation as Sin, as he originally committed to go D2 until Dambrot rang but I think the parallels stop there. I understand Williams decision to leave for Oregon, one of the best teams in the entire nation. He is now able to get exponentially more exposure and will without a doubt be part of an NBA program someday. His body and style of play are just what the NBA has evolved to need, a tall 3 and D wing who can cut to the hoop and jump. Mcconnell's body grew so much in his four years of college, and he was top 5 nationally in steals as a freshman and as a sophomore. He has the 6th best assist to turnover ratio of any freshman in history. I wouldn't go as far as saying Carry's body has regressed but it definitely hasn't progressed. Sin had great steal statistics his freshman year but not at all last year or this season. Carry isn't Mcconnell or Williams. He just doesn't have the body. He could have been the one credited for turning the Duquesne program around and quarterbacking the team to their first tournament in almost 50 years. Now, if it ever happens, somebody else will be the hero. I also have worries about both of his knees health into the future. But no, Sin is not TJ Mcconnell, or even Eric Williams Jr.

Sins freshman year there was another A10 guard who played extremely similar to Carry's style, and also had the same bulky 6'1 point guard build. Nick Honor transferred from Fordham after that season to sit out last year at Clemson, and this year he has been tearing it up for them. Back when Honor left Fordham I wondered if that gave Carry any ideas, and now that Honor is having success I bet Sin saw that too. But like I said, would you rather be a PG on a middle of the pack Power 6 team, make the tournament like the team is expected to every few years and lose in the round of 32, or be the person who leads a team that has been horrible overall for decades to the NCAAs. I would like to think I would lead the underdogs, but just like any situation we really don't know the true reason he left. 

1/11/2021 12:32 pm  #27

I doubt we'll find out from Sin himself why he is leaving. He's too intelligent for that. He has to convince another coach and another school to accept him and they don't want a player that criticizes publicly because they might be next to be criticized.
As far as wishing him well or ill, I feel neither. Yes, he has a right to leave, but a lot of us invested time and/or money in this program and would like it to succeed. In other words, we're more interested in the success of the program than in the success of an individual. It's the reason anyone is offered an athletic scholarship.

Last edited by scduke (1/11/2021 12:34 pm)

1/11/2021 12:48 pm  #28

BluffHunter wrote:

FAM wrote:

This question is just to keep my mind off the Steeler blow-up last night - and I know that a few of you have the ability (unlike me) to find this.  I didn't think that TJ McConnell would play in the NBA - I didn't ever say he couldn't, I just never thought of it.  So here is my question for you stats people.  What is the comparison between Sincere and TJ over their years in terms of shots, assists, etc.?   Will Sincere also get there?  One of the reasons that TJ left...one of them is he wanted to get to the NCAA and didn't believe he would do that staying at Duquesne.  So...
Thanks....
Go Dukes

There's a lot of comparing Sin to Williams Jr. and Mcconnell in this thread but here's what I think. Sin isn't either of those guys. Yes Eric had a similar recruiting situation as Sin, as he originally committed to go D2 until Dambrot rang but I think the parallels stop there. I understand Williams decision to leave for Oregon, one of the best teams in the entire nation. He is now able to get exponentially more exposure and will without a doubt be part of an NBA program someday. His body and style of play are just what the NBA has evolved to need, a tall 3 and D wing who can cut to the hoop and jump. Mcconnell's body grew so much in his four years of college, and he was top 5 nationally in steals as a freshman and as a sophomore. He has the 6th best assist to turnover ratio of any freshman in history. I wouldn't go as far as saying Carry's body has regressed but it definitely hasn't progressed. Sin had great steal statistics his freshman year but not at all last year or this season. Carry isn't Mcconnell or Williams. He just doesn't have the body. He could have been the one credited for turning the Duquesne program around and quarterbacking the team to their first tournament in almost 50 years. Now, if it ever happens, somebody else will be the hero. I also have worries about both of his knees health into the future. But no, Sin is not TJ Mcconnell, or even Eric Williams Jr.

Sins freshman year there was another A10 guard who played extremely similar to Carry's style, and also had the same bulky 6'1 point guard build. Nick Honor transferred from Fordham after that season to sit out last year at Clemson, and this year he has been tearing it up for them. Back when Honor left Fordham I wondered if that gave Carry any ideas, and now that Honor is having success I bet Sin saw that too. But like I said, would you rather be a PG on a middle of the pack Power 6 team, make the tournament like the team is expected to every few years and lose in the round of 32, or be the person who leads a team that has been horrible overall for decades to the NCAAs. I would like to think I would lead the underdogs, but just like any situation we really don't know the true reason he left. 

Whoa! slow down; there is another obvious comparison between Williams and Carry.  They both quit performing while they were still on the team; and in my mind that is a serious flaw!  Secondly; calling Williams a sure-fire NBA player at this point is a bit premature.  At his size he would need to be able to handle the ball and he doesn’t have that skill yet.

1/11/2021 12:58 pm  #29

levon1975 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

FAM wrote:

Thanks....
Go Dukes

Whoa! slow down; there is another obvious comparison between Williams and Carry. They both quit performing while they were still on the team; and in my mind that is a serious flaw! Secondly; calling Williams a sure-fire NBA player at this point is a bit premature. At his size he would need to be able to handle the ball and he doesn’t have that skill yet.

Good point, at least Williams did it at the end of the season not in the middle of conference play. I don't think he's sure fire going to play in the NBA right now, but with the stats he is currently putting up there is no way an NBA team wouldn't take the chance on having him on their G-league team or whatever league that is. 

1/11/2021 1:40 pm  #30

scduke wrote:

I doubt we'll find out from Sin himself why he is leaving. He's too intelligent for that. He has to convince another coach and another school to accept him and they don't want a player that criticizes publicly because they might be next to be criticized.
As far as wishing him well or ill, I feel neither. Yes, he has a right to leave, but a lot of us invested time and/or money in this program and would like it to succeed. In other words, we're more interested in the success of the program than in the success of an individual. It's the reason anyone is offered an athletic scholarship.

Exactly.  Time to give the number 10 uniform a good cleaning to get the stink out, and hang it back on the wall to remember the man that earned that honor, the Duquesne great Norm Nixon. I hope that is a lessen to the University that honors are earned not given away lightly to a malcontent flash in the pan..

Time to move on and support the kids who want to be here, and working hard to prove it.  Go Dukes!

1/11/2021 2:07 pm  #31

CLK-Great reminder -put it away and DONT give it out again! 
Go Dukes 

1/11/2021 2:28 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

scduke wrote:

Exactly.  Time to give the number 10 uniform a good cleaning to get the stink out, and hang it back on the wall to remember the man that earned that honor, the Duquesne great Norm Nixon. I hope that is a lessen to the University that honors are earned not given away lightly to a malcontent flash in the pan..

Time to move on and support the kids who want to be here, and working hard to prove it.  Go Dukes!

Thanks for reminding me of that #10 jersey, and the gracious way that Norm Nixon accommodated his request. Arrgh.

1/11/2021 2:32 pm  #33

BluffHunter wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Whoa! slow down; there is another obvious comparison between Williams and Carry. They both quit performing while they were still on the team; and in my mind that is a serious flaw! Secondly; calling Williams a sure-fire NBA player at this point is a bit premature. At his size he would need to be able to handle the ball and he doesn’t have that skill yet.

Good point, at least Williams did it at the end of the season not in the middle of conference play. I don't think he's sure fire going to play in the NBA right now, but with the stats he is currently putting up there is no way an NBA team wouldn't take the chance on having him on their G-league team or whatever league that is. 

I recall he had a big scoring game in his final game as a Duke; but poured visibly on the court during games; failed to get back on defense regularly and was suspended by KD; so he did finish the season; but gave less tha a full effort!

1/11/2021 5:16 pm  #34

Stew like Pistol are the Founding Fathers to the Duquesne Men’s Basketball Program. I remember 1776 when these two Patriots brought signs to the Palumbo questioning the University’s commitment to the men’s program with Dr. Murray & Colleary. There should be a statue of these two heroes in front of the Cooper Center. Keep it up boys no censorship on this board. Go Dukes

1/11/2021 6:04 pm  #35

levon1975 wrote:

I recall he had a big scoring game in his final game as a Duke; but poured visibly on the court during games; failed to get back on defense regularly and was suspended by KD; so he did finish the season; but gave less tha a full effort!

Williams scored 40 points in his third-to-last game as a Duke, at St. Louis. He was pretty much unstoppable in that game, inside and out. He followed that up with 21 points, 9 rebounds in the season finale against Dayton and 23 points, 9 rebounds in the A10 tourney against St. Joe's. Maybe he wasn't a team player, had a poor attitude, didn't buy in to KD's defense-first commitment and he certainly had trouble maintaining consistency (dominant in some games, invisible in others) but to say that he quit on the team at the end of his time with the Dukes is kind of ridiculous. I remember that St. Louis game well, he sure didn't play like someone who had quit on his teammates.

As for Carry, he certainly wasn't playing to the capabilities he showed his first two seasons. Scoring was down, assists were down, turnovers up and he was missing FTs (always inexcusable for a guard in my book, even though the guard who can't make FTs is a recurring theme in Duquesne basketball). If he was that unhappy, I'm guessing he wasn't too engaged mentally. I remember last March he was pretty vocal about not wanting to play in Brooklyn as Covid-19 was exploding. I'm guessing he didn't really want to be playing this season either. So if he's unhappy overall with the program, it's not really a surprise that he took this opportunity to bail, knowing he can be playing somewhere else next season without losing any eligibility. If he wasn't happy and wasn't focused, it's just as well he's moved on and opened more playing time for the younger kids so we can see what they can do.

1/11/2021 7:26 pm  #36

I'm seeing some comparison's to Mike Lewis's situation. Not playing up to the standards of the previous 2 seasons and leaving in the middle of their junior years. Didn't work out well for Mike.

1/11/2021 8:48 pm  #37

DennisC91 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Williams scored 40 points in his third-to-last game as a Duke, at St. Louis. He was pretty much unstoppable in that game, inside and out. He followed that up with 21 points, 9 rebounds in the season finale against Dayton and 23 points, 9 rebounds in the A10 tourney against St. Joe's. Maybe he wasn't a team player, had a poor attitude, didn't buy in to KD's defense-first commitment and he certainly had trouble maintaining consistency (dominant in some games, invisible in others) but to say that he quit on the team at the end of his time with the Dukes is kind of ridiculous. I remember that St. Louis game well, he sure didn't play like someone who had quit on his teammates.

As for Carry, he certainly wasn't playing to the capabilities he showed his first two seasons. Scoring was down, assists were down, turnovers up and he was missing FTs (always inexcusable for a guard in my book, even though the guard who can't make FTs is a recurring theme in Duquesne basketball). If he was that unhappy, I'm guessing he wasn't too engaged mentally. I remember last March he was pretty vocal about not wanting to play in Brooklyn as Covid-19 was exploding. I'm guessing he didn't really want to be playing this season either. So if he's unhappy overall with the program, it's not really a surprise that he took this opportunity to bail, knowing he can be playing somewhere else next season without losing any eligibility. If he wasn't happy and wasn't focused, it's just as well he's moved on and opened more playing time for the younger kids so we can see what they can do.

Just as a soon-to-be unrestricted free agent in pro sports busts his tail to put up numbers in order to drive up his value, Williams' big games at St. Louis, Dayton and St. Joes were efforts to maximize his value and gain as much attention as he could squeeze out before leaving Duquesne. He was auditioning for the bigger schools.. I don't know that you can pat him on the back for not quiting on his teammates. If Williams had played that hard all of that year, I could say that he didn't quit on the team, but that was not the case. He was a good player, no doubting that point, but he was not exactly the poster-boy for team spirit

Last edited by apluski (1/11/2021 8:56 pm)

1/12/2021 12:29 am  #38

I am with you Sincere.You were in a difficult situation,free education,free food,and a generous monthly stipend plus free healthcare.You played and didnt cry once and all of us wish you a great life.Take care.
Love you.Goodbye.

1/12/2021 2:33 am  #39

stew wrote:

I am with you Sincere.You were in a difficult situation,free education,free food,and a generous monthly stipend plus free healthcare.You played and didnt cry once and all of us wish you a great life.Take care.
Love you.Goodbye.

Sin was our hope, and I loved him too, but seemingly out of the blue its over now. I can feel your passion through my computer Stew, the best days of the Dambrot era are yet to come. The players on our team who have the desire and drive to do their best on the court for Duquesne are the ones that will lead us to success. The Bluffites will reign again.

1/12/2021 10:44 am  #40

I APOLOGIZE FOR MEMORY LAPSE! Who was the 6’11’ player from the city that Dambrot took a chance on - he didn’t play the first year - second year he dressed but seldom played- He was a PROJECT. Also, where did he go??
Thanks

1/12/2021 11:17 am  #41

Why attack players who leave the program? Check out all the transfers on Verbal Commits. You'd be hardpressed to find a program with more transfers. Incoming and outgoing.  The question I have is, are all those players malcontents, or is it something with Dambrot?

Last edited by cat44 (1/12/2021 11:18 am)

1/12/2021 4:41 pm  #42

James Ellis went to a junior college. I don't remember which one.

1/12/2021 4:51 pm  #43

WashPaRick wrote:

James Ellis went to a junior college. I don't remember which one.

Originally Tallahasee and then Pearl River. Now he is not listed on the roster for either team online.

1/12/2021 5:31 pm  #44

cat44 wrote:

Why attack players who leave the program? Check out all the transfers on Verbal Commits. You'd be hardpressed to find a program with more transfers. Incoming and outgoing.  The question I have is, are all those players malcontents, or is it something with Dambrot?

I believe Sincere is the very definition of a malcontent.  He has been unhappy for a long time, despite all the considerations and attempts to please him.  Best for everyone that he moves on. 

1/12/2021 6:13 pm  #45

Maybe Sincere is suffering from depression,if that is true I apologize to him and everyone else on this
board for judging him.I was very upset at the time but I was wrong to judge another person I dont even
know.

1/12/2021 6:55 pm  #46

cat44 wrote:

When the ship is sinking rats are the first to jump ship.

1/12/2021 7:45 pm  #47

Ironduke81 wrote:

cat44 wrote:

Hmmm ... Let's see. Sincere Carry was leading the team in minutes played, shooting 36 pct. and just over 50 pct from the FT line. The point guard shooting 50 pct in free throws? Yikes! But he'd played the most minutes through five games. Carry "basically had the keys to the car and could do anything he wanted for the most part.” -- Keith Dambrot.
I'd say it's something with the player(s). Does that answer your question, cat44? Welcome to the board!

1/12/2021 10:32 pm  #48

Thanks for the welcome. The Dukes are my 2nd favorite team in the A10. I won't post often Usually when I question veracity of something. Started following Dukes when TJ arrived. My question wasn't about Carry. Rather the tremendous turnover on the roster since Dambrot arrived. As you can gather by my question, I am not a fan of Dambrot's. I believe that Duke fans will eventually see the same things I do. Icould make a very representative team in the A10 of his current  transfers. Frankie Hughes, Isiaha Mike, Tydus Verhoeven, Eric Williams, Sincere Carry, Lamar Norman could win a lot of games in the A10.

1/12/2021 11:11 pm  #49

Crosseye wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

cat44 wrote:

Hmmm ... Let's see. Sincere Carry was leading the team in minutes played, shooting 36 pct. and just over 50 pct from the FT line. The point guard shooting 50 pct in free throws? Yikes! But he'd played the most minutes through five games. Carry "basically had the keys to the car and could do anything he wanted for the most part.” -- Keith Dambrot.
I'd say it's something with the player(s). Does that answer your question, cat44? Welcome to the board!

I think folks are piling on Sin's 20-21 performance a bit because they feel betrayed. Did he have a good start to the season? No. He was still shooting slightly better from 3 than our "sharpshooter", TDM; in the top 12 in the conference in a/to ratio, assists, & steals; & grabbing an excellent-for-a-point guard 4.8 rebounds per game.

1/13/2021 8:45 am  #50

I was also stunned when I heard about Sin transfering. Regardless of his stats this season, you could tell by watching him play that his heart just wasn't in it. Just subtle things that I can't put my finger on now. College ball is totally different today. The comment about kids playing for AAU teams that out the emphasis on personal rather than team goals hit the nail on the head. So whatever reason Sin has, let's just move on. My problem is, at 69 soon to be 70, I'm rapidly running out of space to move on to!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera