Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2021 10:46 am  #51

Re: Carry Will Transfer

phil95 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

When the ship is sinking rats are the first to jump ship.

Hmmm ... Let's see. Sincere Carry was leading the team in minutes played, shooting 36 pct. and just over 50 pct from the FT line. The point guard shooting 50 pct in free throws? Yikes! But he'd played the most minutes through five games. Carry "basically had the keys to the car and could do anything he wanted for the most part.” -- Keith Dambrot.
I'd say it's something with the player(s). Does that answer your question, cat44? Welcome to the board!

I think folks are piling on Sin's 20-21 performance a bit because they feel betrayed. Did he have a good start to the season? No. He was still shooting slightly better from 3 than our "sharpshooter", TDM; in the top 12 in the conference in a/to ratio, assists, & steals; & grabbing an excellent-for-a-point guard 4.8 rebounds per game.

Just wanted to clarify that I don't think I meant so much to take a shot at Carry, rather if anyone is going to point out the high turnover in general, there are lots of reasons for that with this program. Carry is a solid player, obviously. He's proven that. But we'd all probably agree that he hadn't been himself this season for whatever reason. He really didn't produce the way he had in the past and he didn't seem engaged. His departure is just a small slice of the scenario pointed out by another poster. It is my opinion that a large portion of these players moved on not because of any conflict, but because they just weren't talented enough to play in the A10. Personally, I don't agree with the suggestion that the list of departed players would make a team that could contend. Quite the contrary. That team would be typical of a Duquesne team that just doesn't have it to be in the elite bunch, a couple of good players and the rest, eh.... Duquesne has been lousy for quite some time before Dambrot (and Everhart) managed some success. Why? Mainly because the talent level has not been up to speed. I think when Dambrot took over, he wanted to build that talent level to where it really needs to be in this league. It looks like a step by step process to me, unless you have the ability to just pull in 3 and 4 star recruits top to bottom right off the bat. Each year, it seems the type of players he's getting appears to be more suited for high-level play (ie the length and athleticism we see in this current freshman class). It shows you just how far back in the pack Duquesne has been. They never have had a roster like the Daytons and Richmonds and VCUs. They've been closer as time goes on, but ... I have pointed out the concept before that Duquesne didn't fall to its longstanding depths overnight. It was a process of year after year of inept talent (and coaching, and no commitment). That is changing. I see improved recruiting every year and of course, sadly for them, that might push out the  previous guys that were brought in. And that accounts for a lot of turnover. Sure, as pointed out previously, Duquesne has as much turnover as anyone, but do we know of a program in the A10 that has taken a jump as much as Duquesne has in the last years? I doubt it. Who would it be? Everybody else (besides Fordham and maybe another team or two) has at least been decent and had their moments. As much as we appreciated the contributions of a guy like Lamar Norman, I for one am not sure he is representative of what you can have in a starting lineup to challenge for an A10 championship. If so, then we'd be challenging. He fits a little lower-level league in my opinion, or a guy who is a role player here. But that's not what he wanted, so he moved on. Right? Time will tell, as others here quote, whether this philosophy works under the current coach, but I feel as though Duquesne can be a serious contender every year if this coach can assemble and keep together in this unstable college environment a team of talented players top to bottom. It's been a long time since the Dukes have had a roster void of any NEC-type players. And that's not impossible. The perennial top teams do not recruit NEC-type players, which some on that  list of past defections fell under.

1/13/2021 11:17 am  #52

Yes, many of us are running out of time and starting over is a concern. 
I brought up the AAU culture and its connection to the diminished sense of team loyalty present in our modern athletes.  It is a contributing factor, I believe, but there are also other factors such as personal branding that young people now seek as a means of marketing oneself as a generator of income. Creating your personal brand and creating interest and a huge following online can generate a significant economic benefit.  So whether your in sports, art, or any other field creating your brand becomes a significant activity.  I’m certainly not being critical of this type of enterprise; but it might be wise for us older folks to adjust our expectations of athletes and their commitment to winning for a particular team.  The option of selling your likeness, as proposed by the NCAA will go further feed into minimizing the team concept in the future. 
“The times they are a-changin”

1/13/2021 11:25 am  #53

Excellent analysis Cross-eye!!!  I agree.

1/13/2021 7:00 pm  #54

He chose Kent State.

1/13/2021 7:15 pm  #55

lilpav30 wrote:

He chose Kent State.

Wow. 
https://twitter.com/BobGreenburg/status/1349489881370796033

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/13/2021 7:15 pm)

1/13/2021 8:42 pm  #56

Board footera