Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2021 11:08 am  #1

Duquesne Athletics Announcement January 13th

1/11/2021 11:10 am  #2

Re: Duquesne Athletics Announcement January 13th

Could it be the opening of the Coop? I haven't been over there for a little while so I'm sure what the progress has been like. My only other guess is some redesign of the Duke? The background of the tweet gives me that idea.

1/11/2021 8:41 pm  #3

BluffHunter wrote:

Could it be the opening of the Coop? I haven't been over there for a little while so I'm sure what the progress has been like. My only other guess is some redesign of the Duke? The background of the tweet gives me that idea.

I hope there is some redesign. I hate the stupid new D

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/11/2021 9:09 pm  #4

Tejas_Duke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I hope there is some redesign. I hate the stupid new D

There's no chance they're getting rid of the new D after a year and a half, and I also don't think it's that bad anyway. This seems like phase two of the athletics departments rebrand... A new duke?

1/11/2021 11:06 pm  #5

There is some weird video/gif of something on twitter(link above).  Looks like 2 eyes maybe, on some darkened image.  Maybe a new mascot?   Its really strange, only like 4-5 seconds long.

Also, i like the new “D” which is probably all over the Coop by now.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/11/2021 11:21 pm)

1/12/2021 12:20 am  #6

Its the Duke opening our new fieldhouse

1/13/2021 10:22 am  #7

I loved the use of an 80's classic to debut the video board, so I'll use another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

1/13/2021 10:36 am  #8

1/13/2021 10:59 am  #9

I love the mascot.  I think it’s awesome.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/13/2021 11:07 am  #10

1/13/2021 11:09 am  #11

1/13/2021 11:30 am  #12

If you watch the video these marketing guys explain why/how they came up with it.  I know a lot of us older guys are like "what the hell", but maybe this can grow on us.  I do like a lot how they previously came up with the new D monogram and this new "Duke" lion is a reference to our academic seal - which I forgot about and that explains it.  Bottom line is if we win consistently and make tournaments regularly no one will care if Dumbo the Elephant is under that top hat!!  LOL Pistol out. 

1/13/2021 11:50 am  #13

I'm not a fan of the new D, but I do appreciate the connection to the Spiritans. Even though I don't like the look, it seems like the artists really tried to represent the university with the design. Putting a top hat on the Columbia Lion and calling it a Duke? It's horrible, and this time the artists' explanations sound like they're blowing smoke up our @$$?!. It doesn't even sound like they believe the words coming out of their mouths.

I was a student when the bear was our mascot and it exemplified the low budget program at the time. This is arguably even worse because now the mascot still isn't a duke, but this time we spent a lot of money on redesigning it and trying to explain it. Why does the athletic department insist on making something so simple so difficult?

1/13/2021 11:53 am  #14

I love it

1/13/2021 1:23 pm  #15

I like the effort & professionalism that went into this. It feels like the commitment to the program is here to stay.

The "Luke" is not my cup of tea but, I don't hate it either. I bet it will be very successful.

This reminds me a bit of when Bonaventure jettisoned the Brown Indian for a few years without choosing a mascot to represent the Bonnies (WTF is a Bonnie.) & then supposedly chose a wolf because of its association with St. Francis & the order named for him.

I always enjoy reading the board's different points of view when such things come out. It is both interesting & amusing.

Beat Dayton!

1/13/2021 1:27 pm  #16

I will be disappointed if the marketing folks & school administration didn't make sure that merchandise is immediately available with the new mascot. They did a less than stellar job with that when the "D" was  launched.

1/13/2021 1:53 pm  #17

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Are You Kidding Me? How many Duquesne faithful do you think will look at this and immediately say oh yea, the lion on the school logo. Worse, how many people everywhere else will understand what the heck that logo is about? I thought they were the Duquesne Dukes? What is with the lion, or whatever that is.
Like a bad joke--if you have to spend time explaining it, then it's too bad to bother with.

1/13/2021 2:45 pm  #18

So.....are we lions now?   I dont understand this.   We will be laughed at, again.   I am sure there is some old timey royal meaning behind a lion and some French church or some shiz no one cares about.   Should have given one of us money to come up with something better.
Shoulda brought back the old Duke with the ball and top hat.   He would be a hit today.   

1/13/2021 3:21 pm  #19

Interesting... Just like the D I know it will grow on me and I will come to love it.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/13/2021 3:21 pm)

1/13/2021 3:44 pm  #20

I recall that Murray okayed a bear to be a mascot.
Not sure why a lion or panther or whatever as a mascot
but it's okay for me.

1/13/2021 5:36 pm  #21

Huh! I will reserve judgement until I've had an opportunity to  process.

1/13/2021 5:45 pm  #22

I suspect ODU or Columbia U will soon be filing a Trademark/Copyright violation. I hope that’ Duquesne's lawfirm will be FIERCE in defending this lawsuit. If I read one more FIERCE comment involving the marketing  of a new product I will lose my mind. 

1/13/2021 10:54 pm  #23

phil95 wrote:

I will be disappointed if the marketing folks & school administration didn't make sure that merchandise is immediately available with the new mascot. They did a less than stellar job with that when the "D" was launched.

" Less than stellar job" Pretty much par for the course for anyone associated with marketing Duquesne for the last forty years or so!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/14/2021 7:40 am  #24

phil95 wrote:

I will be disappointed if the marketing folks & school administration didn't make sure that merchandise is immediately available with the new mascot. They did a less than stellar job with that when the "D" was  launched.

I contacted the bookstore and they said not to expect anything for 2-3 months with the new logo. This is a serious disappointment and poorly done by Duquesne athletics. If you are going to rollout a new logo you should have it available after the release like other big schools do. A lot of impulse buys are made when you see something new and exciting. I always feel our bookstore doesn’t offer much in terms of variety and products unfortunately not to bash them but I’ve just been disappointed with their efforts to offer more new logo Nike and lack of not providing old logo products.

1/14/2021 11:20 am  #25

Time will tell, nod to Professor 1099, but why didn't the AD consider an open competition from students and alums regarding new mascot logo????  Hell, there are lots of creative and artistic people out there that I am betting would have loved to submit logo concepts.  This would have been a nice way to stir up interest in the program and get your constituency involved.  These marketing guys try to act clever and original, but I guess they were absent the day in school when the tradition of DU hoops was discussed.  We have been known as the "Dukes" for decades in all bball circles.  Maybe they were watching too much of AB, JuJu and now regrettably Claypool and there branding focus!!! LOL  The jury is still out on this logo, and I am all for a rebranding effort (I love the new D), but I for one would have liked to have seen a modern "Duke" version that didn't venture into the animal kingdom.  Pistol out..............  

Board footera