Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fans Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards

duke-passing
You know the rules, all inappropriate messages will be DELETED!


PLEASE POST LINKS TO NEWSPAPER STORIES



DUQUESNE MEN’S BASKETBALL - Final Record 2020-2021: 9 Wins - 9 Losses


DUQUESNE WOMEN’S BASKETBALL - Final Record 2020-2021: 5 Wins - 11 Losses


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



1/18/2021 11:26 am  #1


News Blackout on the Women?

It seems unusual that there haven't been any posts on women's team since December!  Normally this board was pretty active on the women's hoop team.  I've tried to follow along with whatever I see on Twitter and Facebook, normally from PSN, or Duquesne Women's Twitter posts.  I know they have been playing without their two best players for much of the season, but have gotten some good play from Tess Meyers and Megan McConnell as freshmen.  I haven't seen much mention of Sole' either, so I assume she is or was injured.  Based on what I can gather the team has been competitive but has lost since Amanda went down with the injury. I'm assuming an ACL tear, but again, I've seen nothing official.   I believe I saw a reference yesterday to Libby appearing in the game, a loss to LaSalle; but I didn't confirm anything.  
It would be good to hear some more insight as to the state of the season, and the program moving forward.  It appears that the Dukes are fielding a very young lineup, which should provide a lot of experience for the talented young players on the roster.  

 

1/18/2021 6:12 pm  #2


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

Hey Levon, Zac here from PSN. I've been providing content all season long from each Duq WBB game. I have talked to at least Dan Burt after every game so be sure to keep reading to stay in the loop. This season has thrown the team a lot of curveballs but a lot of young talent are finding their roles and everyone on the team remains optimistic.

 

1/18/2021 11:30 pm  #3


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

Zach, thank you for your always great reporting on the women. In your last story, the slow starts were mentioned as a real problem. It is disappointing how the team comes out in games, but I attribute that to the make-up of the starting lineup. Simply put, it is not a cohesive unit. Three of the players are not strong defensive players, one is adequate and one is good but slight and inexperienced. So, the early defense suffers. On offense, McConnell has played well and has been a revelation. But the other starters since Kalin went down are not coordinating well. Tentative movement, drives without a dish possibility, poor positioning and hurried shots are giving the team little regular scoring.  My point is, because of poor defense and the lack of offense, we have been terribly outscored in the first quarter.

Hamilton and Myers give a shot of energy and the team has made their third and fourth quarter runs with them in the game. Amaya needs to get her shot up in the air and she will be a better offensive player. Tess hustles and can shoot.  I would move these two into the starting lineup. Diamond would become the sixth man. Myers becomes 7th once Libby comes back for 20 minutes plus and starts again.

I think this lineup opens up McConnell to do more with the ball. Sole and Johnson need the ball delivered to them in the right spots. I think Hamilton and Myers can do that in addition to McConnell.

Things are looking bleak. But, some continuity in the first quarter might turn these close losses into close wins. Go Dukes!

 

1/19/2021 2:49 pm  #4


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

Zac, what is the status of Aniya Walker?  Is she even on the team?  She is listed on the roster, but hasn't played yet.

Also, what is the plan for recruiting?  Duquesne had 3 other players committed (all international) in addition to Olivia Westphal, but only Westphal signed.

Are these three players still an option for next year or are we now looking at 22-23?

 

1/19/2021 4:33 pm  #5


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

DU90 wrote:

Zac, what is the status of Aniya Walker?  Is she even on the team?  She is listed on the roster, but hasn't played yet.

Also, what is the plan for recruiting?  Duquesne had 3 other players committed (all international) in addition to Olivia Westphal, but only Westphal signed.

Are these three players still an option for next year or are we now looking at 22-23?

The team openly stated that Aniya suffered an off-season injury and will not play this season. It is an injury which Burt referenced in the team's chalk talk as one where she will not be back until late this year (either Oct or Nov, I do not remember off the top of my head). Honestly I am not as aware about the recruiting plans and commitments beyond Westphal's commit at this point in time. Perhaps they could be waiting for COVID but that would be pure speculation.

 

1/19/2021 5:34 pm  #6


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

zacharymweiss wrote:

Hey Levon, Zac here from PSN. I've been providing content all season long from each Duq WBB game. I have talked to at least Dan Burt after every game so be sure to keep reading to stay in the loop. This season has thrown the team a lot of curveballs but a lot of young talent are finding their roles and everyone on the team remains optimistic.

Zach, I've been following everything that you post or is re-posted on Facebook or Twitter, and absolutely realize that you have been on the beat, since the beginning of this unusual season.  I appreciate your work and your diligence in reporting on the Dukes.  My comments were strictly directed to this Board, which is normally very lively during the season with comments about the women's team.  Perhaps there is a lack of interest considering the problems with the team and lack of live game action. 
 

     Thread Starter
 

1/19/2021 10:40 pm  #7


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

levon1975 wrote:

zacharymweiss wrote:

Hey Levon, Zac here from PSN. I've been providing content all season long from each Duq WBB game. I have talked to at least Dan Burt after every game so be sure to keep reading to stay in the loop. This season has thrown the team a lot of curveballs but a lot of young talent are finding their roles and everyone on the team remains optimistic.

Zach, I've been following everything that you post or is re-posted on Facebook or Twitter, and absolutely realize that you have been on the beat, since the beginning of this unusual season.  I appreciate your work and your diligence in reporting on the Dukes.  My comments were strictly directed to this Board, which is normally very lively during the season with comments about the women's team.  Perhaps there is a lack of interest considering the problems with the team and lack of live game action. 
 

I get that I just took it as no coverage which I have tried to provide for nearly 10 years. It is a shame that the ladies do not get more posts on here, they have some definite encouragement from the freshmen. It could be the record, the lack of being at games hurting them, really it could be a lot of things. 
 

 

1/20/2021 1:08 am  #8


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

Thanks Zac for the update on Walker.  I am sorry to hear that she is not going to play this year as I think she will have a very solid career at Duquesne. 

As for the other recruits, I learned of them through Raoul's Women's Basketball Blog (don't have enough posts to add the link) and it is also where I learned of Reilly Sunday's commitment today.  It could mean that Haley Stinebrickner is not coming with Westphal already signed and Sunday in the fold.  Stinebrickner is from Canada.

The other two players committed to Duquesne but didn't sign are Eszter Madar (Hungary) and Natalija Sekulovska (North Macedonia).
 

 

1/21/2021 10:16 am  #9


Re: News Blackout on the Women?

I saw the Reilly Sunday commitment on Twitter Sunday.  I understand that she is sitting out this year with a knee injury, but I recall her making a big impact as a freshman starting on the Varsity.  She will have another year to recover and play at the HS level, so hopefully she makes a full recovery. 

Since I opted out on the P-G due to it's ownership issue, its more of a challenge to keep up with local High School Basketball. The only thing I really miss about the P-G is Mike White's excellent work on the High School sports beat.  Does anyone have a suggestion on an online source to pick up good HS sports coverage?  

     Thread Starter
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

LINKS


DUQUESNE SITES




  • Pittsburgh Sports Now