Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2021 11:45 am  #26

Re: Requiem for Palumbo

Memorable basketball moment: From very close behind the Duquesne bench, Alan Watkins fouls out, Dukes losing a close one, John Carroll in a timeout huddle: "This is f--------- embarrassing!"
Memorable concert: Widespread Panic.

2/01/2021 11:59 am  #27

I don't know how accurate this is, but here's a list of all of the concerts at the Palumbo per setlist.fm
https://www.setlist.fm/venue/aj-palumbo-center-pittsburgh-pa-usa-43d33fbf.html

2/01/2021 4:27 pm  #28

I never went to a concert there but remember all the complaints about the acoustics. Memorable games I saw there in addition to the Pitt game in '88:

12/3/88: Opening night against St. Joe's. Dukes win, 73-69. I covered it for The Duke from the press table (the sports editor and I were later scolded by the A10 commissioner for clapping for the Dukes during the game). Carnival-like atmosphere, so cool to see all the fans streaming into the building for the first real game (there had been an exhibition against a Swedish club team a few days before), lots of talk in the press room about how this was the start of something big for Duquesne, the glory years were coming back, etc. 

1/25/90: An undermanned Dukes team gets just its third win of the season by holding off up-and-coming UMass, 70-69. UMass is in its second year of the Calipari rebuild, headed for a winning season, one year away from a trip to the NIT final four and two years away from its first A10 championship and trip to the Sweet 16. John Carroll's rebuild at Duquesne is off to a slow start and the Dukes are headed to a 7-22 season.

Jan/Feb 1991: On successive home weekends, the Dukes score wins over Penn State, 87-81, UMass, 68-67, and West Virginia, 93-88. Penn State would win the A10 tourney and knock off UCLA in the first round of the NCAAs, UMass would get to the NIT final four, WVU was a bit down that year, but still won a game in the NIT. Easily the most exciting and entertaining stretch of basketball I would see in my time at Duquesne. After a 1-6 start, that team finished strong and closed out the season on an 8-game home winning streak, leaving us with lots of hope for the future, unfortunately never to be fully realized.. 

1/25/14: Derrick Colter's desperation heave from just across the timeline goes in as time expires and the Dukes knock off St. Bonaventure, 83-81.

Some memorable lowlights:

3/1/92: A packed house turns out to watch the Dukes play UMass, by then the best team in the conference. The student section has been directed to stand and cheer at the beginning of the game and keep standing and cheering until the Dukes score their first basket. Unfortunately, UMass deflates the home crowd by scoring the first 20 points of the game on their way to an easy 82-61 win.

3/8/03: I'm in town for a long weekend and catch the regular season finale against Rhode Island. In echoes of 11 years earlier, Rhode Island scores the first 17 or 18 points of the game and coasts to a 76-71 win.

2/11/07: The 1040 magic runs out as the Dukes get crushed by Rhode Island, 111-87, ending their modest 5-game winning streak and starting them on a season-ending 8-game losing streak. Still, the Palumbo Center is packed to the rafters for the first time since I don't know when. I see people there that I hadn't seen since my student days. If only for a fleeting moment, the team did capture the imagination of the campus and the city.

2/01/2021 5:19 pm  #29

luckymcd wrote:

VBC wrote:

I'll echo my old friend JPG-DU81's comments on my favorite basketball games.

And I'll add 2 concerts to the list, Phil Lesh & Friends in April, 2001 and again in November, 2005.  Great shows and great times at Palumbo.

I didn't go, but I remember the Phil and Friends show being pretty big. If you were there for those I have to ask if you were also there when Phish played in 94? I wasn't there because it was before my time, but I've listened to recordings and it was a pretty good show.

I was not.

2/01/2021 5:51 pm  #30

You know the bottom line on Duquesne failures goes directly to the AD & President. Colleary, the clown & Chuck clueless D. Again the Cooper Field House confirms the competency of the new AD & Prez. Look at Fordham, St. Joe & Lasalle total train wreck. Just like the old Duquesne. We are very lucky thanks to the current administration. Quinipiac Clown you will always be a clown.

Board footera