Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2021 5:32 pm  #1

Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

9:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 02/02/2021 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Dukes #101 (6-6; 5-5) vs Dayton Flyers #76 (10-4; 6-3)
First Meeting at Dayton on 1/13/21 - Dayton 72-63

Game prediction: Dukes lose by 1, 65-64 - Dukes with 49% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 1 point underdogs; Over/Under 129½
Duquesne 6-6 Against the Spread; Dayton 8-6 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Rhode Island (70); UNC Greensboro (113)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): George Washington (203); Little Rock (171)
Dayton Best Win(s): Saint Louis (42); Davidson (64); Mississippi (66)
Dayton Worst Loss(es): Fordham (268); La Salle (176)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Dayton for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (24); FT Rate (99)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (301); Turnover % (271)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (29)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at Dayton in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (3)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (12)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (2)  
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (11)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (87)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (275)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (15)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (264); FT Rate (263)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (12)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (12)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Dayton Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.6, #75 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 95.5, #65 in D-1
Dayton Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.6, #84 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.5, #153 in D-1
Dayton Adj Tempo - 65.0, #327 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.8, #218 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Dayton 1.94 yrs, #94 in D-1; Dukes 1.74 yrs, #186 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Dayton 40.3%, #228 in D-1; Dukes 54.8%, #101 in D-1
Average Height - Dayton 77.9", #50 in D-1; Dukes 76.2", #279 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 124th in the country.
Dayton is 114th in the country.
Automated Game Preview: https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=4359&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/01/2021 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

It's finally time to open up the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse... starting off this new era with a win against Dayton would be fantastic.

2/01/2021 6:25 pm  #3

Coach Dambrot Interview from today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41RA4_qeRU

2/01/2021 9:27 pm  #4

2/01/2021 9:31 pm  #5

2/01/2021 9:35 pm  #6

Thanks, CLK.  It's always nice to have Dave Mackall on the Dukes beat.

2/02/2021 9:00 am  #7

Problem Houston. I love the fact bumped up to ESPN 2 from the U. National exposure. But I can see the Baylor game going to triple overtime thus the intro of the Cooper Field house diminished via the broadcast. On the U 150 years college football documentary which assures game opening on time. Especially for recording this game for perpetuity on my Samsung. As a long suffering Duquesne fan I have seen this rodeo before. However, let us hope this is a new era & the game starts on time without any glitches. Why the bump? Maybe #23 stops by the Cooper Field house on his way back to LA after finishing eastern road trip last night.

2/02/2021 9:22 am  #8

maybe, but if Baylor is one before us, there will be many more eyes tuned to espn2 than a college football 150 show, which are all repeats now.   It might not start at 9pm, but more people will be tuned to 2 than the U.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/02/2021 9:23 am)

2/02/2021 9:38 am  #9

Ironduke81 wrote:

Problem Houston. I love the fact bumped up to ESPN 2 from the U. National exposure. But I can see the Baylor game going to triple overtime thus the intro of the Cooper Field house diminished via the broadcast. On the U 150 years college football documentary which assures game opening on time. Especially for recording this game for perpetuity on my Samsung. As a long suffering Duquesne fan I have seen this rodeo before. However, let us hope this is a new era & the game starts on time without any glitches. Why the bump? Maybe #23 stops by the Cooper Field house on his way back to LA after finishing eastern road trip last night.

When the blizzard rolled through yesterday I definitely had a similar thought. How unsurprised would long time Dukes fans be if we're all amped for the game, opening up a great new arena, playing good ball, bringing in a good opponent, on national TV and the game gets postponed because that good opponent can't make it to the arena because of a massive snowstorm. I'm only now comfortable saying this because I don't think I can jinx it. The thought definitely crossed my mind though.

As for the broadcast, I could have sworn the game was originally listed as being on ESPN2. It's said ESPN U for awhile, but I really think it was originally announced as being on ESPN2. The Baylor-Texas game, being a top 10 matchup, is on ESPN. We have the Tennessee-Mississippi game before us, which is just as likely to go overtime, but won't have the same number of eyes. Still, ESPN2 is a big step up from ESPN U. In fact I'd say that's a bigger jump than even going from ESPN2 to ESPN. Pretty much every cable package has ESPN and ESPN2, so either one is a true national game. Lots (maybe even most?) don't have ESPN U, so moving from the u to the deuce is a big move.

LeBron may be the second best player of all-time, but there is only one #23. It would be pretty surprising if LeBron is in the  Coop tonight. It would be downright shocking if Jordan stopped by. When we were talking about who the opponent for the opener should be I threw out Detroit as a possibility with LeBron coming by to support Dambrot and the Dukes and Dickie V broadcasting and repping the Titans. 

2/02/2021 10:49 am  #10

This game should be a battle. I make my predictions based on differential in four stats and the widest margin in them is 2.5 points. I sometimes consider past matchups, which obviously favor Dayton, but even that isn't as wide as I thought at 6.4 points in the past four years (only 2.3 at home).

It really all comes down to defense. When they score 65 or less they are 1-4 on the season. When they score more than 65 they are 9-0. Specifically defense on Crutcher is obviously important. He averages 11.8 per game in their losses. He scores 21.4 a game in wins. He has a 1.2 assist to turnover ratio in losses. That ratio goes up to 2.3 in wins.  The other common link is performance from shooting guards. Opposing shooting guards have scored 19.8 points a game on 13-32 shooting from 3 point range in Dayton's losses.

Both coaches are in their fourth seasons at the schools. Dambrot won the first matchup. We beat them in 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2018. We are playing very well right now, especially defensively. We have started knocking down shots. We finally have a home court. We battled them tough in the first matchup at their place, and we are a much better team now. I say Dambrot wins the first matchup in the arena and we get another win after three years. Weathers gets a put back to go ahead and Hughes blocks Crutcher's attempted game winner. Dukes 62 Flyers 61.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/02/2021 10:51 am)

2/02/2021 10:53 am  #11

ESPN has been pretty nimble with switching between 2 and U on the fly. So an OT delay on 2 might start us on U.

Last edited by MikeR (2/02/2021 10:53 am)

2/02/2021 12:45 pm  #12

Just dug into the archives again and found that I'm not crazy (or maybe I still am but not about this). The game was originally scheduled for ESPN as shown in the conference schedule announcement: https://goduquesne.com/news/2020/11/10/2020-21-atlantic-10-mens-basketball-schedule-announced.aspx

2/02/2021 1:14 pm  #13

2/02/2021 3:05 pm  #14

luckymcd wrote:

When the blizzard rolled through yesterday I definitely had a similar thought. How unsurprised would long time Dukes fans be if we're all amped for the game, opening up a great new arena, playing good ball, bringing in a good opponent, on national TV and the game gets postponed because that good opponent can't make it to the arena because of a massive snowstorm. I'm only now comfortable saying this because I don't think I can jinx it. The thought definitely crossed my mind though.. 

I couldn't help but think, wouldn't it be funny if the rims were terrible like at La Roche?    Headline "DUKES OPEN NEW BUILDING WITH  PRE SHOT CLOCK SOCRE 28-26

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (2/02/2021 3:05 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/02/2021 3:40 pm  #15

Will take the Dukes by 2. My prediction is based solely on a gut feeling and my overtly partisan support of the Dukes! I would not feel as good if the Flyers were coming in here after a loss or on any losing streak. Need the great defense we have exhibited lately and especially  take Crutcher out of his comfort zone as much as possible and we can get this one. Would help if someone gets hot from 3. Tavian or Baker? 

2/02/2021 3:43 pm  #16

Dayton is now playing 8 guys, and really only going 7 deep with the 8th guy playing less than five minutes. They get the majority of their scoring from 3 guys, primarily Crutcher and Watson and the freshman Amzil gives them about 10 a game as well.

They have good starting size with Amzil and Tshimanga going 6’10” and 6’11” respectively, and outside of that, they have one 6’9” guy who comes off the bench. I’d like to see us use Kelly, Rotroff, and Harris early to generate some physicality and contact down low. If we can force some cheap and easy fouls early in the contest we could have a real advantage down the stretch with their lack of depth.

This one was closer than the final 9 point differential it finished at in Dayton. If we can keep Watson and Crutcher  from totally going off, I like our chances, especially if our 3pt and FT shooting continues at the rate we have improved too. Gotta think the new arena momentum gives us a slight edge as well. I’m taking the extra 1.5 points but don’t think we’ll need it. 74-68 Dukies.

2/02/2021 4:54 pm  #17

I'm thinking it's going to be a good night for the seniors. Tavian is the key and have a feeling he'll have a good one. At least I hope so. Dukes 71-62.

2/02/2021 8:50 pm  #18

We deserve a win tonight.  We deserve this bit of happiness.

2/02/2021 9:01 pm  #19

Looks like we might miss the start.

2/02/2021 9:03 pm  #20

Can't believe it really might happen---ESPNU.

2/02/2021 9:17 pm  #21

Keep feeding Weathers.

2/02/2021 9:33 pm  #22

Not the time to get cold.

2/02/2021 9:54 pm  #23

Did the one halftime guy say he used to watch the Dukes and WPIAL at Palumbo?

2/02/2021 10:01 pm  #24

Stay alert on D, they are trying to get back in this with quick layups.   Get back, no chest pounding after scores.

Love the lower camera angle.   And that court is too sweeeeeet.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/02/2021 10:02 pm)

2/02/2021 10:02 pm  #25

FAM wrote:

Did the one halftime guy say he used to watch the Dukes and WPIAL at Palumbo?

He did. I think he also said his "Pops" played for the Dukes in the 60s.

Board footera