Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2021 9:31 am  #1

Mike Bekelja

Coach notes that his stat sheet does not show his value to the team. He reminds me of Jason Duty, who was a steady influence and made the other players more effective. 

2/03/2021 10:07 am  #2

Re: Mike Bekelja

I really haven't been able to figure out his game. I didn't see anything in his admittedly limited action that earned him the starting role when he first got it. The team played great in his first start, so I thought he deserved another shot at it. We're three games in though, and I still don't see what his game or his role is. He rarely handles the ball and only gets around an assist a game. So you can't really call him a point guard. He's also not a true shooting guard though. He's only made 3 of 13 from long range and is shooting 50% from the line (though all of those were last night). Statistically he's been an effective rebounder (five per game since he has been a starter), but I don't recall him ever winning a battle for a rebound. He's been effective defensively, but I wouldn't call him a lockdown defender by any means. He only has 3 steals on the season, so he's not forcing turnovers either. There's literally not a single facet of his game I'd say he excels in to deserve the starting role or the 25 minutes a game he's been getting since the switch. Having said all that, the three games since the switch were a 24 point win, a 17 point win, and a 5 point win over a good team that we led by as much as 22. So it's tough to disagree with Dambrot. If he is the glue that brings the team together and makes them all better than keep starting him and keep winning.

2/03/2021 10:37 am  #3

Yeah, I agree with lucky. The kid's gotta be doing something right because he's playing a lot of minutes and it's not hurting the team. But what that is exactly, I'm at a loss to say. He adds very little to the offense. While folks on this board describe him as the "point guard" he's almost never the primary ball-handler when he's on the floor. He's shown he can make wide-open 3s if left completely alone, but he has a very slow, deliberate release on his shot and I don't believe he's made a 3 yet with any kind of traffic in front of him. He struggled with Dayton's press and while a 6-1 guard should be able to make FTs whenever called on, he only made 2-of-4 down the stretch last night. He doesn't turn the ball over much but then he's not really handling it much either. He does hustle and chase down loose balls and while he's no lockdown defender, he seems to be doing a good job of staying in the position the coach wants him in, turning his man over to the next guy rather than over-committing and getting burned for wide-open shots.  So I guess you'd have to say he's a good team/system player. It's one thing to get a lot of minutes against the two worst teams in the league and not hurt your team. But to do it against Dayton and the team looks good with you on the floor, he's gotta be doing something right and helping his teammates even if he's not putting up stats himself. Any of you advanced stats guys see anything interesting in his numbers?

2/03/2021 11:34 am  #4

DennisC91 wrote:

he's gotta be doing something right and helping his teammates even if he's not putting up stats himself. Any of you advanced stats guys see anything interesting in his numbers?

Not really an advanced stat, but his +/- stats are interesting. Coming off the bench his +/- was -11 in just 29 minutes. As a starter he is +34 in 79 minutes. Now obviously he is playing with better players around him, and pretty much everybody has been in the black in the last three. Of course +/- also doesn't explain how he's doing it, which is what you were looking for. It does point out statistically that like you said he is helping the team on the court. The disparity between off the bench and as a starter is pretty notable too.

2/03/2021 12:18 pm  #5

Lucky and Dennis I am with you guys, but consider this, can a team really afford to start a presumed PG that offers pretty much zero offensive threat, which the opposition is well aware of?  KD can say what he wants and I do think MB is a smart player, very good defensively and perhaps the glue that holds it together, but I don't like playing 4 against 5 offensively and that is how I see it.  My hope was that MB starting was just a precursor to Acuff taking over as that is where I believe the future is.  Acuff has all the attributes of a true A-10 level PG.  He is a better outside shooter than I first thought, he is a good passer, he has size and handles the ball well and he is now starting to go to the hoop more - did you see that drive to the basket and lefty finish in the second half......... Acuff needs to become our starting PG if we are going to be a top tier A-10 team.  Alternatively, I can also see KD grabbing a Power 5 PG for next year as well.

2/03/2021 12:56 pm  #6

That's a real good question, Pistol. I had my doubts about the Bekelja strategy going into last night's game, but having him on the court for more than half the game really didn't seem to hurt us that much. Dayton did seem to be playing well off him for most of the game, I thought there were several times where he was wide open for a 3 but the other Dukes players were in no hurry to get the ball to him. The better teams in the league should be able to exploit this. For whatever reason, Dayton wasn't able to last night. Agree that Acuff is the answer at PG long term. But I imagine Keith will continue to use the combinations that have been working until they stop working.

2/03/2021 2:37 pm  #7

I'd imagine Acuff will be the starter at point guard eventually. Whether that's this year or next is anyone's guess. But it would make sense that he's our point guard of the future. I think Dambrot is an unconventional guy at times. He has his own style and it seems to work. 20 wins every year just about. Who can argue? Bekelja can more than hold his own. He's already shown that. I like his presence in the lineup for the time being. He's steady. I would guess coach is keeping the pressure off Acuff. Point guard is a delicate and high profile position. The quarterback of the team. Acuff is watching the game start and then he comes in. Looks like a mix and match situation in the backcourt right now. Obviously, TDM's shots has suffered because of the added role of taking on PG. So it looks like coach is mixing  up the PG spot. Kind of like a hybrid back court. Again, who can argue right at the moment? Go with what works. Losing Carry shook things up back there.

2/03/2021 2:48 pm  #8

Think MB brings intangibles that will never show up on a stat sheet. We all have seen players like that in every sport that find a way to get the job done without really calling attention to themselves. He is very steady and really would not be surprised to see more of his offensive game come to fruition as time goes on. Could be wrong about that but he did average something like 25 points per game I believe in his prep year if not mistaken. He must have found some way to get the ball to go thru the hoop! 

2/03/2021 3:44 pm  #9

I think this quote from Keith in Zac Weiss's PSN story just about says it all:

“Playing Mike Bekelja has really helped us because he doesn’t do anything he’s just a steady force,” Dambrot said. “He guards, plays good team defense and moves the ball. His stat line looks horrible but ever since we’ve played him, we’ve won. That’s not a coincidence.”

2/03/2021 4:01 pm  #10

I was thinking how smart of a player he was last night. He just does not make that stupid or lack luster mistake. Plays solid defense in my book. Even though crutcher had 24 he was uncomfortable at the beginning of the game and a large part of that was due to his effort. He moves his feet on defense and gets through screens which is pertinent to our defensive effort. Since it leads to less mismatches with bigs guarding faster players or a guard getting caught on a big. Moves the ball on offense and is very unselfish. In fact last night there were about 3 minutes left when they broke UD’s press and they passed to Bekelja who was wide open in the corner for 3 with about 23 seconds still on the shot clock. MB passed out to the point and ran a set knowing the time in the game that was a great decision. Dayton was starting to get going and needed as much time as possible. I like him a lot and would start him next game too!

2/03/2021 4:44 pm  #11

Dukes412 wrote:

I was thinking how smart of a player he was last night. He just does not make that stupid or lack luster mistake. Plays solid defense in my book. Even though crutcher had 24 he was uncomfortable at the beginning of the game and a large part of that was due to his effort. He moves his feet on defense and gets through screens which is pertinent to our defensive effort. Since it leads to less mismatches with bigs guarding faster players or a guard getting caught on a big. Moves the ball on offense and is very unselfish. In fact last night there were about 3 minutes left when they broke UD’s press and they passed to Bekelja who was wide open in the corner for 3 with about 23 seconds still on the shot clock. MB passed out to the point and ran a set knowing the time in the game that was a great decision. Dayton was starting to get going and needed as much time as possible. I like him a lot and would start him next game too!

Great insight, Dukes412. MB does a great job in getting over screens which allows the hedge (often by Mike Hughes) to take place. That strong double team, along with good defensive rotation, disrupts the timing of the offense. MB also has good defensive instincts and communication on when to switch and rotate.  

2/04/2021 2:31 am  #12

Dukes412 wrote:

He moves his feet on defense and gets through screens which is pertinent to our defensive effort. Since it leads to less mismatches with bigs guarding faster players or a guard getting caught on a big. !

Good observation. I hadn't noticed that, but will certainly look for it now. I don't know about his previous few starts, but that would have been key last night. At least half of the several charges we drew were by guys helping cover a screen. Fighting through the screen would allow the help to gamble a bit covering a guy he might not have the quickness to normally guard.

2/04/2021 10:31 am  #13

Also wonder if Mikey is a bit of a placeholder for Maceo. Hopefully he comes back and the role definition for everyone else is pretty solid.

2/04/2021 11:19 am  #14

rosceaux wrote:

Also wonder if Mikey is a bit of a placeholder for Maceo. Hopefully he comes back and the role definition for everyone else is pretty solid.

Good point! One thing seems clear to me.. this team is catching a little burn. There seem to be limitless possibilities with this roster. It's obvious these guys were really winded after the covid shutdown. It may not have been apparent when they first came back because some posts here appeared to be doubting that. But you can see how they have played themselves into better shape and it's a different team. Even without the defections. I know it's a cliche, but I certainly would not want to play Duquesne right now because the word "uncomfortable" was used on this thread in relationship to Crutcher. Despite his big scoring output, he MISSED THE RIM at least once, and I'm not sure if it wasn't twice (might have been another player) on a 3-point  shot that Dayton desperately needed with time winding down. Here's a guy who's being mentioned for the NBA and Bekelja is in the lineup along with the others and Crutcher launches an airball. Go Dukes!

2/04/2021 12:31 pm  #15

rosceaux wrote:

That is a great thought that I hadn't considered. We know Maceo is coming back some time and Bekelja's role is pretty similar to what Maceo's had been. Furthermore, Maceo presumably would get his starting spot back at some point. With the team playing as well as they are since the switch I wonder if Maceo might get Wally Pipp'd.

2/04/2021 12:44 pm  #16

Maybe Mikey playing for the team instead of playing for himself creates a more cohesive team with each player recognizing what the benefits are and being smart enough to realize winning is the most important
thing .Mikey dont look like much of a player and stats arent good but there is something more than physical
skill with him.The basketball world in the US looks for style over substance and Duquesne plays kind of ugly with good defense.Maybe I am wrong but the defense and rebounding have improved.

2/04/2021 1:00 pm  #17

Heck Steve McNeese never looked like much of a player when he was at Akron and he was cast aside at Duquesne
by RE.Steve played on some pretty good teams under KD at Akron.He wasnt a star but played a good role  on those 
teams at Akron.

2/04/2021 1:52 pm  #18

stew wrote:

Heck Steve McNeese never looked like much of a player when he was at Akron and he was cast aside at Duquesne
by RE.Steve played on some pretty good teams under KD at Akron.He wasnt a star but played a good role  on those 
teams at Akron.

I thought Steve committed for Danny Nee (!) and then de-committed when Nee was fired (!!). I remember watching him play in the tournament when he was a freshman or a sophomore at Akron.

Funny that he's on our sidelines now.

2/04/2021 3:23 pm  #19

Feels like Dambrot may be using Bekelja as a change of pace PG now that Carry is gone. Carry was a great player but I am sure we can all remember a time where he would ruin momentum or try to do too much and waste a possession. You know what you are going to get out of Bekelja, and he is a very low risk player on the floor. Hustle, defense, and selfless play. "Knows his own bounds" if you will. 

I am confident over time he will also find his shot and be able to knock down a few 3s per game. Acuff will also become a great A10 point guard. Their confidence is and will continue to grow. 

Trust the Dambrocess 

2/04/2021 6:55 pm  #20

I won't go through the well documented possible transfer issues that could blow my point out of the water but, as concerns Maceo in particular & wing players in general, there is a bit of an anticipate logjam for the 21-22 season with Baker, Okani, Dre, & Maceo being joined by Barba.

Is Baker capable of sliding up to play the bulk of his minutes as a 2 guard? How about Maceo?

Will 3 or 4 players function as rotating positionless long guys?

Has anyone been following Barba at all?

2/04/2021 9:00 pm  #21

phil95 wrote:

I won't go through the well documented possible transfer issues that could blow my point out of the water but, as concerns Maceo in particular & wing players in general, there is a bit of an anticipate logjam for the 21-22 season with Baker, Okani, Dre, & Maceo being joined by Barba.

Is Baker capable of sliding up to play the bulk of his minutes as a 2 guard? How about Maceo?

The way i'm seeing them Harris is a 4. Maceo is a 2 or 3. Okani and Baker look to me like they may be able to play 2, 3 or even the 4 with their length.

Last edited by WashPaRick (2/04/2021 9:02 pm)

2/04/2021 9:56 pm  #22

WashPaRick wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The way i'm seeing them Harris is a 4. Maceo is a 2 or 3. Okani and Baker look to me like they may be able to play 2, 3 or even the 4 with their length.

Agree with your assessment. Harris is certainly capable of good things as a 4. Baker can also play that role if he bulks up, and maybe even if he doesn't.  

Hoping that Maceo can come back and get to his game. Everybody knows it's there.  This roster is dripping with talent.

2/05/2021 9:18 am  #23

A study in extreme contrasts....  From what I have seen, Baker without a care in the world on the court; just the opposite with Maceo.  I think the goal of the coaching staff right now is to get both of these guys from the extremes toward the moderate.  

Board footera