Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2021 6:36 pm  #76

Re: Transfer Portal

I’m losing interest in college bball, and the Dukes, due to this ever revolving door.    Who is gonna be leaving on this already bloated roster?

4/01/2021 6:50 pm  #77

townsonkid wrote:

I’m losing interest in college bball, and the Dukes, due to this ever revolving door. Who is gonna be leaving on this already bloated roster?

Well, I'm not too happy with this scenario either but I love college bball like you and this is the new landscape. I can't walk away from it so I'll hang in and hope that the Dukes navigate through these troubled waters. So far we seem to be doing pretty well with it all. I know the other shoe will drop at some point but think we will come out better than many other mid majors. Time will tell.

4/01/2021 7:50 pm  #78

Butler going to Charlotte.

4/01/2021 8:18 pm  #79

WashPaRick wrote:

Butler going to Charlotte.

Really have no idea where he would have fit in here. Have lots of 2 guards. Need PG and big. 
Can't find room for everybody. I wish Austin well.

4/01/2021 8:22 pm  #80

Lets get the kid from N.Dakota. That would be a great and much needed get for us.

4/01/2021 8:52 pm  #81

El Presidente wrote:

Lets get the kid from N.Dakota. That would be a great and much needed get for us.

Agree El Presidente with your last two posts here. He would put us over the top, but still think we'll dance with the current roster if none of the freshmen enter the transfer portal.

4/01/2021 9:34 pm  #82

Rayrich wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Agree El Presidente with your last two posts here. He would put us over the top, but still think we'll dance with the current roster if none of the freshmen enter the transfer portal.

Rayrich do you think we need another pg or do you think our freshmen and TDM can get them to the tourney. I'm hoping for a transfer pg with a couple of seasons under his belt. 

4/01/2021 9:43 pm  #83

If we have no more additions I'm seeing our starting 5 as

C   Williams
PF  Gunn
SF  Baker
Sg  Castro
PG  TDM    unless Spears comes in and impresses

4/01/2021 10:19 pm  #84

townsonkid wrote:

I’m losing interest in college bball, and the Dukes, due to this ever revolving door. Who is gonna be leaving on this already bloated roster?

Agreed and, while other A 10 schools are getting  Big 5 transfers, the Dukes are getting guys from afterthought programs like VMI and Houston Baptist! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/01/2021 10:40 pm  #85

Rayrich wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

You may be right about that. Still can't imagine that we are set just yet. Think there has to be one more name. Maybe someone whom we've not even heard of.

4/01/2021 11:01 pm  #86

Jamari Wheeler to Ohio State. Bobby Mo got a couple of decent bigs it appears. Again, the star ratings seem to mean very little from what we've seen over time. Think DU has done extremely well meeting our needs.

Last edited by El Presidente (4/01/2021 11:01 pm)

4/02/2021 8:02 am  #87

Tydus is in the portal again.

4/02/2021 10:56 am  #88

I have to admit that Tejas' point about what other A-10 schools are getting (Power 5) does make one wonder a bit, but I still like getting Williams from ISU and Pedro from Houston Baptist as those two schools play a very good level of competition, and I love Spears - who comes from a very good prep program.  I guess the only concern is Gunn coming from DII.  Now my concerns can be mollified if we can get Chico from Murray State, as many other top schools are after him, and the kid from NDState or another quality big.  If we get Chico I think we are set at PG for the next few years with him and Spears.  Go Dukes!!!!  

4/02/2021 11:57 am  #89

Players transferring from a P5 school to an A-10 school were not happy with their playing time most likely. Have to wonder if they were really P5 players. Not too worried about that. Liking what we've accomplished so far. Lets get the N. Dakota kid!!

4/02/2021 1:24 pm  #90

One of the Pitt Players --  Colubdney (sp?) signed with St Bonnie

4/02/2021 3:00 pm  #91

And who did Mark Schmidt beat out to get the kid from Pitt???? Well, how about Georgetown, Arizona State, Wichita State, Butler and VCU!!!!  Now this kid may have wanted to get out of Pittsburgh, but c'mon, who did we beat out to get some of our guys (just sayin)????  As my friend the Iron Duke said, with a new facility, school commitment etc. you would think we no longer have to pick the low hanging fruit so to speak.  Were we not told we would be recruiting at a higher level by both KD and Harper?  Now I said I like 3 of the 4 guys we signed, but I can't help but think about what Tejas said in his post.  College sports is all about recruiting.  Look at the top teams in football and bball, they are not signing 2 Star players and even on a conference by conference level the top tier in our conference are generally beating out some lower Power 5's to sign players - many of whom are at least 3 Stars.  Obviously, there is a direct correlation between talent level and winning and if KD wants to "win championships" we have to sometimes beat other good programs in recruiting talent, period.  Yes, every once in a while you can get an "under the radar"' guy, maybe because of injury or whatever (look at Sin), and a player may also really develop - although I think that is more challenging with the new transfer rules - but the predominate ingredient to winning college bball is quality recruiting.  Which leads to my final point about no one on our existing roster entering the portal when there are already 1100 + kids in it.  Guys let's be honest here, we have a couple of guys who should probably be playing at a lower level and if they are still on scholie then you can forget about "championship level" in the A-10, let alone dancing.  KD, maybe you need to have the Chuck Noll discussion with a couple guys..................  

4/02/2021 3:49 pm  #92

Pistol: 

Stay the heck away from Ritter's Diner!  The food is affecting your brain power and processes!  Why not just enjoy what the staff is doing and then make some final reasoned judgments when the recruiting process is over and our "new team" is enrolled for classes.  Reading your current posts is like watching the roller coasters at Kennywood.  You go through entirely too many highs and lows.  See you at Milano's for a brew sometime soon.  Gunner.  a/k/a Grammudder

4/02/2021 4:00 pm  #93

Coulibaly is about 6'8" and seems to be more of a defensive player than an offensive threat; but maybe Schmidt can find a way to get more out of him on offense.  Stepping down a notch to the A-10 might allow him to have more of an impact, but we shall see.  Certainly not an earth-shaking development.  Bonaventure kind of lived a charmed life this season, but I don't think things will come that easily for them next season.  

4/02/2021 4:56 pm  #94

grammudder wrote:

Pistol: 

Stay the heck away from Ritter's Diner!  The food is affecting your brain power and processes!  Why not just enjoy what the staff is doing and then make some final reasoned judgments when the recruiting process is over and our "new team" is enrolled for classes.  Reading your current posts is like watching the roller coasters at Kennywood.  You go through entirely too many highs and lows.  See you at Milano's for a brew sometime soon.  Gunner.  a/k/a Grammudder

If a certain PG remains on scholarship & plays 5-7 minutes a game I suggest you bring a bag a heroine to get Pistol of f a cliff. Beer will not cut it.😂😂😂

4/02/2021 5:22 pm  #95

Grammudder I do remember the eggs and greasy bacon late in the evening in High School after kegs (in all the local parks) and HS dances!  Ended up there many a night after parties on the Bluff as well - too funny my friend!!!  Your post cracked me up and I will try not to make you dizzy with my roller coaster comments!  LOL.  Agree, we need to see how it all shakes out, but I can't help myself sometimes.  

P.S. I will take you up on the beer at Milano's!!!!

P.S.S. Iron Duke you have me falling off my chair, killing me as well - love it!!!!!

4/02/2021 11:06 pm  #96

levon1975 wrote:

Coulibaly is about 6'8" and seems to be more of a defensive player than an offensive threat; but maybe Schmidt can find a way to get more out of him on offense.  Stepping down a notch to the A-10 might allow him to have more of an impact, but we shall see.  Certainly not an earth-shaking development.  Bonaventure kind of lived a charmed life this season, but I don't think things will come that easily for them next season.  

The consensus on the Pitt board is like no big deal. Would not have wanted to see us waste a schollie on him. Wish him well. At least he escaped the mess in Oakland!

4/03/2021 4:06 pm  #97

Lot of guys picking their new schools, we should be due for another.

4/05/2021 8:36 pm  #98

WashPaRick wrote:

C   Williams
PF  Gunn
SF  Baker
Sg  Castro

I see the starters as:

Baker
Williams
Harris
Acuff
Austin

6th man TDM

4/05/2021 8:52 pm  #99

Styles1229 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

C   Williams
PF  Gunn
SF  Baker
Sg  Castro

I see the starters as:

Baker
Williams
Harris
Acuff
Austin

6th man TDM

I'll check back on this in 7 months and see how we did.

4/05/2021 8:54 pm  #100

Styles1229 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

C   Williams
PF  Gunn
SF  Baker
Sg  Castro

I see the starters as:

Baker
Williams
Harris
Acuff
Austin

6th man TDM

Can't imagine Castro not in the starting lineup. Not too sure that Harris will win a starting job.

Board footera