Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2021 8:20 am  #176

Re: Transfer Portal

El Presidente wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I think it also has to do with players being recruited over and trying to find a place to play.  Not all players in the portal left their team because they felt they were better than their team.  A bunch likely left because they knew they would not be retained by their team.  35% seems really high but I think a lot of it has to do with the extra year of eligibility.  Even though last years' seniors are getting an extra year of eligibility there are still the same amount of high school seniors being recruited and offered scholarships and the same amount of playing time being available on each team.  Even though a team can carry more than 13 players they certainly can't play everyone.  the 35% is mostly those players who saw a long season of riding the bench or eventually losing their scholarship - not players who have an inflated sense of self.   I think we are seeing a crop of players being squeezed out of Division I basketball because of this.

Good point Styles. I probably didn't think that through enough. While there are players who fall into the category that I suggested, many are simply players lost in the shuffle. I do recognize that. Again, I do wish them all the best finding a basketball home.

As do I.  If a player is good enough I think he will find his way onto a Division I roster.  He may have to play a season or 2 in a lower division though before he finds his way back.

7/23/2021 7:26 pm  #177

Re: Transfer Portal

Frankie Hughes to Slippery Rock.

Board footera