Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 2:21 pm  #1

3/09/2021 8:18 pm  #2

Re: Dambrot Offers Prep PG

Many of us may be just a bit underwhelmed with this news but you just never know. Might be the next SC or beyond. I don't have a problem with such a recruit if KD really believes he's the real deal. We will see what happens. Duquesne does appear to be his best offer to date and that always bothers me a bit. Then I think of  SC or EWJR and I wonder. 

3/10/2021 8:26 am  #3

He seems like he could be a pretty good player. According to one of the articles you sent, he does have some high-major interest, so that's a plus.

3/10/2021 9:37 am  #4

If we are losing TDM and Murphy, need guards.   He seems like a solid kid who is dedicated.   I guess we want Xavier Johnson to stroll down Fifth Ave and put on red and blue, but that probably isnt happening.

3/10/2021 12:18 pm  #5

We don't know at this point how many scholarships we will have for next year.  We know we have two more for sure.  We also don't know how recruiting will shake out.  My personal preference is a high level transfer because DU can not afford to "miss" at this position (not say a transfer can't be a bust, but a proven high level transfer is less of a risk).  However, this kid may just be an under the radar gem.  I am trusting KD on this one.  He has surely had experience in finding diamonds. 

It is interesting that before this kid broke his arm he was also getting D1 interest to play football.  At one point he was considering playing both sports in college. I like the toughness football players bring to basketball  This is what one recruiting analyst has to say about him:

6"’2”PG Amir Spears (Mt. Zion)Spears was a joy to watch in both of Mt. Zion’s games, leading them to a win over Fork Union and then helping them in a close contest with IMG. He averaged 13.5 PPG, 5.5 APG, and 3 SPG for the weekend. He was locked in from start to finish in the matchups and used his quickness extremely well both offensively & defensively. He can be a pest on the ball by turning offensive players & picking their pockets, but also plays passing lanes well with anticipation and quick reactions. His quickness makes him hard to keep in front when he has the ball too, he’s unselfish and makes slick, timely passes to teammates. The lefty gets defenders on their heels and did as good of a job as anyone in the event at getting to his pull-up jumpers. He looked to insert himself into as many plays as possible and brought energy to the team that was contagious. There’s hardly anything out there on him; if a program does some more digging, they could pick up a hidden gem".

Military Circuit Overlooked 2021 Prospects (relentless-hoops.com)

He’s arguably the state’s best basketball player. Now he’s just as dominant on the football field - and might be taking his talents to the gridiron in college, too. - Hartford Courant

3/10/2021 1:11 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

If we are losing TDM and Murphy, need guards.   He seems like a solid kid who is dedicated.   I guess we want Xavier Johnson to stroll down Fifth Ave and put on red and blue, but that probably isnt happening.

All due respect Towson, but I doubt that KD is recruiting Xavier Johnson.  I don't think he left Pitt on the best of terms and with games still to be played.  After losing two players to mid-season defections, do you really think that KD is trying to bring in a guy who abandoned his team in-season?  I would guess, no.  

3/11/2021 9:10 am  #7

CLK wrote:

Amir Primo Spears 6'2" PG from Mt. Zion Prep

PrimSpears3 on Twitter: "Blessed to receive a offer from Duquesne University ! https://t.co/anWAsLZiTZ" / Twitter

Primo Spears is One of Maryland's Best Available 2021 Guards | Prep Hoops

Has offers from Wagner, Troy, Fairfield, Buffalo, NJIT

Primo Spears is Back in the Game – NBC Connecticut

CLK great and uplifting story  about this kid on NBC Connecticut. What this kid had to do for rehab very impressive. Hopefully the power 5 schools  stay away because of the severity of his injury. Based upon his personal adversity due to injury Primo could be a leader and actually not melt and quit in response to any criticism from Coach Dambrot. Primo Could be under the radar.  Love kids that overcome adversity at such a young age. 

3/11/2021 9:28 am  #8

Says on his Instagram he has interest from Kansas, Maryland, Georgia Tech & Bonaventure. This kid would be amazing for us, the question is will we land him.

3/11/2021 2:57 pm  #9

DuquesneZoneIG wrote:

Says on his Instagram he has interest from Kansas, Maryland, Georgia Tech & Bonaventure. This kid would be amazing for us, the question is will we land him.

If this interest is legitimate, then I'm all for trying to land this recruit. So often we hear inflated pronouncements about prospects that I am just a bit jaded when it comes to it all. Hope the young man signs with us and he is the next great PG for the Dukes. Still hoping for a transfer or two depending on the scholarship numbers. 

3/11/2021 3:53 pm  #10

BTW, I wouldn't want Xavier Johnson here at Duquesne under any circumstances.  Appears to be uncoachable with a low basketball IQ and bailed on his first team. Enough of that. Surely we can do just a bit better.

3/11/2021 9:25 pm  #11

Gotta love the name also

Board footera