Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2021 8:33 pm  #1

Time to Get to Work KD

Watching the Bonnies and VCU go at it this afternoon left little doubt in my mind of the talent gap at the top of the A-10 and our Dukes.  We are closing it, but there was no one on that floor today that looked like guys who have gotten playing time for us this season - specifically Rotroff, Mikey B and TDM.  I'm sorry let's be honest, excluding the other freshman, who I do think have shown enough to get us excited, in year 4 our two best players were transfers from year 1 (Mike and Marcus).  This is why this is a critical recruiting period for the Dukes and KD and staff.  Time to get to work and step it up coach and staff.  The rest of the league isn't going on a recruiting hiatus.  Of course, I will reiterate that KD has said he is here "to win championships".  Well Coach, to do that the talent level needs to get better and quit trying to convince us that certain of the players on this roster are A-10 level players - let alone top tier.  As Iron Duke, CLK and many others have noted, we need an experienced and "talented" PG, probably another big (ala Bailey Steele) and an experienced scorer/shooter.  If Marcus and Mike don't come back this is even more critical.  If Schmidt can get the quality of player he does in the middle of nowhere Olean, NY please tell me we can get at least that level of talent.  We also now have the $$$, support and facility to attract the talent, unless we don't have the level of recruiter that we need on this staff.  Remember KD and Harper even stated we should now be on a different level of recruiting - well, time will tell, and that time is now.  Get to Work and Go Dukes!!.  

3/15/2021 7:06 am  #2

Re: Time to Get to Work KD

Pete:  Agree!!!!

3/15/2021 10:25 am  #3

Let me second Pete  100%.  I feel the same way about the talent gap that was clearly on display yesterday.  Great job so far Keith, getting us out of single digit league wins and a standing reservation for the Disgrace Day game, we are now a solid middle of the pack A 10 team, but, barring some incredible  luck or a diamond in the rough or two  discovered, we are not looking at having our name called on Selection Sunday, either next year or in 23.  In terms of his big man recruiting, I can't help but think of the trio of "bigs" from two years ago. Two were utter non-factors and gone at the end of the year, and the other didn't develop and wont' be seeing much playing time his senior year, should he stick around.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/16/2021 8:18 am  #4

Amen, Pete and Tejas.  My concern is with the A-10 itself. Two bids this year. We used to be a three or four bid league every year. I searched for conference bids by year. No luck. I did find NCAA tourney bids by team (not broken out by conference). Temple has gone dancing 33 times, Xavier 28 times. St. Joe's with 21 bids is now the top A-10 team by number of bids. Losing Temple and Xavier deprived us of two yearly locks. We also had Butler for a year. The teams we've added: Dayton, St. Louis, George Mason, Richmond, VCU, Davidson? Only Dayton and VCU have been fairly consistent with other teams up and down. Net result two bids. With the conference slipping, recruiting has to be slipping as well. I believe that you need two solid 4-stars and a solid 3-star to reach 24 or 25 wins. Those players aren't looking to the A-10, least of all, Duquesne. Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament_bids_by_school_and_conference

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/16/2021 8:37 am  #5

KenOTR73 wrote:

Amen, Pete and Tejas.  My concern is with the A-10 itself. Two bids this year. We used to be a three or four bid league every year. I searched for conference bids by year. No luck. I did find NCAA tourney bids by team (not broken out by conference). Temple has gone dancing 33 times, Xavier 28 times. St. Joe's with 21 bids is now the top A-10 team by number of bids. Losing Temple and Xavier deprived us of two yearly locks. We also had Butler for a year. The teams we've added: Dayton, St. Louis, George Mason, Richmond, VCU, Davidson? Only Dayton and VCU have been fairly consistent with other teams up and down. Net result two bids. With the conference slipping, recruiting has to be slipping as well. I believe that you need two solid 4-stars and a solid 3-star to reach 24 or 25 wins. Those players aren't looking to the A-10, least of all, Duquesne. Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament_bids_by_school_and_conference

KenOTR73, I think you are underrating the A10.  The conference got screwed out of a 3rd bid - Saint Louis got the COVID penalty, essentially for not being able to play enough Quad 1 and Quad 2 games.  With a NET ranking of 43, they should have been in the field. And for what it's worth, Saint Louis, Richmond, Davidson and Dayton are all in the 16 team NIT.
KenPom has the A10 rated as the 8th best conference out of 32 conferences.
The A10 had 6 teams in the Top 80 of the NCAA NET Rankings. Here are the other conferences:
Big 10 - 12
ACC - 10
SEC - 9
Big East - 7
Big 12 - 7
A10 - 6
Pac 12 - 6
AAC - 4
Mountain West - 4
WCC - 3
Conf USA - 2
MAC - 2