Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2021 9:04 am  #1

Micah Shrewsberry reportedly the new HC at Penn State

Assistant HC at Purdue with NBA assistant coaching experience with Brad Stevens at Boston.

3/15/2021 12:42 pm  #2

Re: Micah Shrewsberry reportedly the new HC at Penn State

Busy morning but don 't have to worry about PSU taking KD

- Penn State hires Micah Shrewsberry
- Indiana fires Archie Miller
- Minnesota parts ways with Richard Pitino
- UNM is down to Richard Pitino and Tim Miles
- BC hires Charleston’s Earl Grant

Jeff Goodman on Twitter: "Let’s recap the morning: - Penn State hires Micah Shrewsberry - Indiana fires Archie Miller - Minnesota parts ways with Richard Pitino - UNM is down to Richard Pitino and Tim Miles - BC hires Charleston’s Earl Grant" / Twitter

3/15/2021 12:52 pm  #3

I say cut our losses and go after Archie or Pitino Jr now. Make a splash with new field house and take the city by storm where we become the hot ticket for college basketball !!

3/15/2021 12:58 pm  #4

Would not be surprised if Archies brother Sean at Arizona is next. Wow can you imagine both Miller boys unemployed.

3/15/2021 1:15 pm  #5

Wildwood13 wrote:

I say cut our losses and go after Archie or Pitino Jr now. Make a splash with new field house and take the city by storm where we become the hot ticket for college basketball !!

That’s just not going to happen!

3/15/2021 1:22 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

That’s just not going to happen!

Agreed. What a goofy post! You must be joking.

3/15/2021 1:59 pm  #7

Instead of calling it a goofy post, be intelligent enough to say why it is goofy. I will tell you why it’s a good post.
First of all both are considerably younger than our present coach. Now some reasons why I would like either of them
Archie
-home town kid
-has been very successful in the A ten.
- may realize that he may feel more comfortable in the A ten
- may make this his last job because it is his hometown.

Pitino Jr
- was once an assistant coach here.
- not sure any of the power conferences going to hire him.
- very young and can gets talented players.
- probably would not stay long is a negative.

Dambrot
- his recruiting and retention of players has been pitiful.
- his record has been an improvement but the schedule has gotten considerably easier.
- over the past four years he has recruited only four A ten quality recruits. Two of them have left the program.
- have not seen one player improve their body in the four years, but hard to do when players don’t stay long.
- really do not see anyone coming in next year.
- never got a relationship with any of the local high school players.
- Coach definitely gets a mulligan for not playing or practicing at his own facility and the Covid virus for the past two years.
-if Hughes and Weathers both move on, we are basically starting over again.

I would prefer a younger coach that has connections to quality recruits and have proven they are capable of coaching at this level. As opposed to in a few years we are looking to hire a coach that has no connections to Duquesne. You do realize our coach is 63 years old, not that it’s a knock, because I am also that age. But it’s easier for a younger coach to rebuild. If you look at the coaches that are long in the tooth, majority of them have been at their schools for a long time. The exception being Pitino St, who got his team in the tournament in his first year, also his hometown.

3/15/2021 2:03 pm  #8

I was also chastised for suggesting Travis Ford five years ago, because we couldn’t afford him and he would never come back to the A ten. He is doing a commendable job at St Louis.

3/15/2021 3:06 pm  #9

Wildwood13 wrote:

Program would be in better shape with fewer people making silly comments like this. Getting those numbers down to "none" and "none" would put us over the top.

3/15/2021 3:54 pm  #10

You are so correct, El Duque.  The total absurdity on this board at times mystifies me.

3/15/2021 4:02 pm  #11

Wildwood13 wrote:

Instead of calling it a goofy post, be intelligent enough to say why it is goofy. I will tell you why it’s a good post.
First of all both are considerably younger than our present coach. Now some reasons why I would like either of them
Archie
-home town kid
-has been very successful in the A ten.
- may realize that he may feel more comfortable in the A ten
- may make this his last job because it is his hometown.

Pitino Jr
- was once an assistant coach here.
- not sure any of the power conferences going to hire him.
- very young and can gets talented players.
- probably would not stay long is a negative.

Dambrot
- his recruiting and retention of players has been pitiful.
- his record has been an improvement but the schedule has gotten considerably easier.
- over the past four years he has recruited only four A ten quality recruits. Two of them have left the program.
- have not seen one player improve their body in the four years, but hard to do when players don’t stay long.
- really do not see anyone coming in next year.
- never got a relationship with any of the local high school players.
- Coach definitely gets a mulligan for not playing or practicing at his own facility and the Covid virus for the past two years.
-if Hughes and Weathers both move on, we are basically starting over again.

I would prefer a younger coach that has connections to quality recruits and have proven they are capable of coaching at this level. As opposed to in a few years we are looking to hire a coach that has no connections to Duquesne. You do realize our coach is 63 years old, not that it’s a knock, because I am also that age. But it’s easier for a younger coach to rebuild. If you look at the coaches that are long in the tooth, majority of them have been at their schools for a long time. The exception being Pitino St, who got his team in the tournament in his first year, also his hometown.

CROSSEYE using the word goofy is not as bad as being called a racist by a member on this board. You both disagree  each has an opinion. Peace out play nice as my main man CLK preaches. 

3/15/2021 4:03 pm  #12

You again El Duque, last time you ridiculed me about the number a wins for the season a couple of years ago. I called you out on it and offered a bet to whom ever was closer to the win total, the loser would donate to the winners choice of charity.  Of course I heard crickets from you. Your credibility is shot with a lot of people. Now with this stupid comment. I would ask you to go into detail and explain why this is silly but you will come up with some of your usual  nonsense.

3/15/2021 4:14 pm  #13

Wildwood13 wrote:

You again El Duque, last time you ridiculed me about the number a wins for the season a couple of years ago. I called you out on it and offered a bet to whom ever was closer to the win total, the loser would donate to the winners choice of charity.  Of course I heard crickets from you. Your credibility is shot with a lot of people. Now with this stupid comment. I would ask you to go into detail and explain why this is silly but you will come up with some of your usual  nonsense.

wildwood13 chill. El D is a long time contributor on this board. So are you. I must admit CROSSEYE using goofy got a rise out of me. Pretty funny. This board is turning into the angry old white man board. Except in my case when the snowflake jumps in with his ridiculous opinions & allegations. You both are good guys. We need a CLK intervention fast.😂😂😂😂

3/15/2021 4:17 pm  #14

KD has what, 3 years left on contract?   THAT is the only thing that matters.   Now in 2 years, things bottom out again they might let him go, but not now. 
Heck, lets at least see what kind of roster turnover we are going to have first.   

3/15/2021 4:34 pm  #15

Everyone has opinions, I see no foul. I look at KD and indeed give him a Mulligan for this year.  All things considered I think he did a good Job.  The adversity that this  team faced this year was awful:  Covid three times, no home court, not to mention playing the League's  best team three times.  Still wound up with a 500 record.  We did finish in the upper half of the League last season with 21 wins 10 League wins. I also don't believe that if Weathers and Hughes do leave (I hope they don't) that the cupboard will be bare. We are still left with some talented freshman returning.  I do believe that this year is critical for recruiting and will determine KD' legacy.  We have to wait to see who leaves and who we gyet.  In any event I still respect what he has done.

3/15/2021 4:57 pm  #16

I was just thinking about his contract, isn't he due for an extension soon? They announced an extension for Ferry after three years and he was hired on a seven-year contract, supposedly.

When Keith was hired, it was step 1 to put the program on the right footing. Step 2 was the Palumbo Center renovation, now that that's complete, we can just sit back and wait for those NCAA tourney bids to come rolling in every year.

In all seriousness, I think Keith has done enough to earn more time, though there certainly have been some failures and I think we all get that just being middle-of-the-pack isn't good enough. It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that he'll bring us to the promised land, but he deserves more time, especially post-Covid and with the new Cooper Fieldhouse in place. I could definitely see Archie Miller back in the A10 and think he could be successful again in this conference. But I don't think blowing up the program to start all over again with a new coach (and fork over $3m to buy out Keith's contract) is the right move at this time. Just a thought, but I think coaches with options might shy away from us if we were willing to throw Keith under the bus to hire them. I mean, wasn't Ron fired in part because Amodio thought he could hire Keith away from Akron? And Keith passed because he didn't see a program that was committed to winning. Pulling the plug on Keith after four years might be seen as more desperate than aggressive to once-hot young coaches looking to rebuild their careers in the A10.

Nothing wrong with being provocative, Wildwood, but short of a scandal of some kind or retirement/health issues, I don't think Keith is going anywhere. Good job just the same at bringing El Duque out of hibernation to smack down your post. ;-)

3/15/2021 6:15 pm  #17

Ironduke81 wrote:

Would not be surprised if Archies brother Sean at Arizona is next. Wow can you imagine both Miller boys unemployed.

Arizona announced on Friday that they were bringing Sean Miller back for another year, and “perhaps many more”.  It seemed like an odd announcement; but apparently they are making sure that the NCAA will overlook the fact that they paid signing bonuses to their recruits!  Perhaps the NCAA should just adopt a salary cap for football and basketball.

3/15/2021 6:42 pm  #18

Dennis you bring up some valid points and CLK like I mentioned you definitely have to give Dambrot a mulligan for the last two years because of the facilities and Covid. The only reason I brought this up is because they are available and have some sort of connection to Duquesne. I am not a big Dambrot fan for various reasons but he definitely deserves more time under these circumstances. In a few years if not successful I don’t know if we will have anyone out there with some sort of connection to our program. I am getting old and probably a little to impatient.

3/15/2021 6:46 pm  #19

Agree with the vast majority here. First, KD has been an excellent coach throughout his career and warrants the remaining years on his current contract unless the bottom falls out which I don't expect to happen. The idea of replacing Keith at this point in time never even crossed my mind. Truly would make us a not very desirable landing spot for any potential future hire. Plus, terminating KD now would make no sense to me. The program is in so much better shape than KD found it. I was upset the way RE was treated here. Replacing Keith now would send me over the edge. WON'T HAPPEN!!!!

Last edited by El Presidente (3/15/2021 6:48 pm)

3/15/2021 8:27 pm  #20

I apologize to the previous poster for referring to his idea of replacing Dambrot as being goofy. But the idea most definitely is preposterous!
Because you wanted some intelligence shown, wildwood, here ya go:
The players Dambrot lost mainly couldn't cut it in a league as good as the A10. For instance, while a player like Lamar Norman is a good player, he reminded me of players that Duquesne had when they were bottom feeders.
Duquesne had a lot of good players then. But many of the starters would have been reserves on a good A10 team. To me, Norman was an A10 reserve, but he was starting at Duquesne. No offense to the young man. Kudos for his efforts. However, he's in a better place now, the MAC, which isn't the A10.
Guys like Eric Williams and S. Carry? Malcontents from the outside looking in. I would imagine the coach is the boss. When the coach says he wants something and the player balks, if he does it enough times, the coach is done with him. See ya! Huggins did it twice with the Kennedy Catholic malcontents. Capel just did it at Pitt. Toole did it with all-conference player AJ Bramah at Robert Morris. Then, today, there's Tre Mitchell... It's a regular occurrence across the board. Lots of coaches do it. This transfer portal nonsense just exacerbates the situation. Dambrot's poor player retention? Please. Most of the players are still here or have graduated. Other than Williams and Carry in 4 years (yes, there were guys like Lewis, Mike and others, but I don't consider those guys elite like Eric and Sincere), all the other defections probably didn't belong here. That sort of recruiting was necessary to get the ball rolling. You can clearly see this latest crop of freshmen is a cut above what had been coming in, hence departures such as Norman's.
Also, Travis Ford was mentioned earlier. Dambrot's team beat his team twice last year. While I'm at it, Dambrot's team lost to the A10 champion this year by 4 points and had a chance to win it at the end before the second covid pause essentially wrecked the Dukes' season. Dambrot's team also managed to beat two teams in the NIT once this year, Dayton and Richmond.
Oh, did I mention his team won 21 games last year playing every single game away from home. And for further comparison on how Dambrot has done at Duquesne, which I again remind you formerly was a bottom feeder and now is a respected opponent, check out his first four years vs. Mark Schmidt's first four years at St. Bonaventure (BTW, it's only taken Schmidt 14 years to coax 2 NCAA Tournament bids out of the Bonnies. What's all the hub-bub about Schmidt??):
Mark Schmidt first four years in A10 at St. Bonaventure
                         G       W      L      Pct.
2007-08           30       8      22    .267
2008-09           30     15      15    .500
2009-10           31     15      16    .484
2010-11           31     16      15    .516
Total              122      54      68   .443
Keith Dambrot first four years in A10 at Duquesne
2017-18           32     16      16    .500
2018-19           32     19      13    .594
2019-20           30     21        9    .700
2020-21           18       9        9    .500
Total               112     65      47    .580
So I ask you Wildwood13, unless you have something personal against Dambrot, why in the world would you be crying for another coach just yet? This program is starved for successful seasons, which then can lead to postseason appearances. I've stated this on this forum before... Duquesne didn't construct a 45-year NCAAs drought overnight, so it stands to reason you don't reconstruct a top 25 program overnight (don't forget Dukes were getting some votes last year early on). Once again, thanks to the bopsy twins, Dr. Dewar's and the Quinnipiac Clown, whose current team failed in its conference tournament bid (AGAIN!), for derailing any progress Ron Everhart led for a program starved for progress. Thank goodness, there's a guy in there now who is the first coach since Dudey Moore, not Everhart, to do what he's doing in four years. 

3/15/2021 11:58 pm  #21

Crosseye wrote:

I apologize to the previous poster for referring to his idea of replacing Dambrot as being goofy. But the idea most definitely is preposterous!
The players Dambrot lost mainly couldn't cut it in a league as good as the A10. For instance, while a player like Lamar Norman is a good player, he reminded me of players that Duquesne had when they were bottom feeders.
Duquesne had a lot of good players then. But many of the starters would have been reserves on a good A10 team. To me, Norman was an A10 reserve, but he was starting at Duquesne. No offense to the young man. Kudos for his efforts. However, he's in a better place now, the MAC, which isn't the A10.
Guys like Eric Williams and S. Carry? Malcontents from the outside looking in. I would imagine the coach is the boss. When the coach says he wants something and the player balks, if he does it enough times, the coach is done with him. See ya! Huggins did it twice with the Kennedy Catholic malcontents. Capel just did it at Pitt. Toole did it with all-conference player AJ Bramah at Robert Morris. Then, today, there's Tre Mitchell... It's a regular occurrence across the board. Lots of coaches do it. This transfer portal nonsense just exacerbates the situation. Dambrot's poor player retention? Please. Most of the players are still here or have graduated. Other than Williams and Carry in 4 years (yes, there were guys like Lewis, Mike and others, but I don't consider those guys elite like Eric and Sincere), all the other defections probably didn't belong here. That sort of recruiting was necessary to get the ball rolling. You can clearly see this latest crop of freshmen is a cut above what had been coming in, hence departures such as Norman's.
Also, Travis Ford was mentioned earlier. Dambrot's team beat his team twice last year. While I'm at it, Dambrot's team lost to the A10 champion this year by 4 points and had a chance to win it at the end before the second covid pause essentially wrecked the Dukes' season. Dambrot's team also managed to beat two teams in the NIT once this year, Dayton and Richmond.
Oh, did I mention his team won 21 games last year playing every single game away from home. And for further comparison on how Dambrot has done at Duquesne, which I again remind you formerly was a bottom feeder and now is a respected opponent, check out his first four years vs. Mark Schmidt's first four years at St. Bonaventure (BTW, it's only taken Schmidt 14 years to coax 2 NCAA Tournament bids out of the Bonnies. What's all the hub-bub about Schmidt??):
So I ask you Wildwood13, unless you have something personal against Dambrot, why in the world would you be crying for another coach just yet? This program is starved for successful seasons, which then can lead to postseason appearances. I've stated this on this forum before... Duquesne didn't construct a 45-year NCAAs drought overnight, so it stands to reason you don't reconstruct a top 25 program overnight (don't forget Dukes were getting some votes last year early on). Once again, thanks to the bopsy twins, Dr. Dewar's and the Quinnipiac Clown, whose current team failed in its conference tournament bid (AGAIN!), for derailing any progress Ron Everhart led for a program starved for progress. Thank goodness, there's a guy in there now who is the first coach since Dudey Moore, not Everhart, to do what he's doing in four years. 

You think disparaging a well-regarded university president & insinuating that he is a drunk demonstrates your intelligence? 

Schmidt took over a program that won 24 games in the 4 years before he came. The year before those horrid 4 seasons, the basketball program made national news with a scandal that was so bad it cost the university president his job & nearly led to the program going down to Division II.

He has a minuscule budget to work with, calls a 50+-year-old, crappy arena home, & has to recruit players to the undisputed least attractive program/location in a highly competitive conference. 

In 14 years Schmidt has led the program to 2 regular-season titles, 2 conference tournament championships, a CBI appearance, an NIT bid, & 3 NCAA appearances with 1 tournament win while being named coach of the year twice.

The guy managed to turn Andrew Nicholson into an NBA first-round draft pick.

Over the last 3 years, ​he has turned down Big East, Big 10, & ACC jobs to stay in Olean. He is currently being mentioned as a highly desirable target for 4-5 jobs that neither RE nor KD could get within sniffing distance of.

His teams have gone 10-1 against KD's teams over the last 4 seasons.

3/16/2021 5:53 am  #22

Wildwood13 wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNM0ytygxNzNg9OItz8xJKc_PT1EoT01NAQB-vQkj&q=wildwood+weed&oq=wildwood+werf&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i13j0i13l2.6784j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

3/16/2021 6:44 am  #23

At this point in time, I believe that Mark Schmidt has earned the right to be considered the best HC in the A-10. Really have to give the man his due. Can't even imagine how he is able to recruit at the level that he does. As stated, it took him awhile to get the program going there, Really much longer than 4 years, I am willing to give KD the same opportunity. This year's recruiting class will be significant to the future of our program and needs to be on a par with this past year's class IMO.

3/16/2021 9:12 am  #24

phil95 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

You think disparaging a well-regarded university president & insinuating that he is a drunk demonstrates your intelligence? 

Schmidt took over a program that won 24 games in the 4 years before he came. The year before those horrid 4 seasons, the basketball program made national news with a scandal that was so bad it cost the university president his job & nearly led to the program going down to Division II.

He has a minuscule budget to work with, calls a 50+-year-old, crappy arena home, & has to recruit players to the undisputed least attractive program/location in a highly competitive conference. 

In 14 years Schmidt has led the program to 2 regular-season titles, 2 conference tournament championships, a CBI appearance, an NIT bid, & 3 NCAA appearances with 1 tournament win while being named coach of the year twice.

Over the last 3 years, ​he has turned down Big East, Big 10, & ACC jobs to stay in Olean. He is currently being mentioned as a highly desirable target for 4-5 jobs that neither RE nor KD could get within sniffing distance of.

Phil95 I am a little confused. I think this guy made his point with facts in an articulate manner. Did you not make his point based upon your comments. Again I am not attacking you. I am a little pissed that he is using my trademark “Quinipiac Clown” without permission. In regard to the Dr. Dewars comment do you think the Cooper Field house would ever have been built with him as President. I understand the school has a conference room named after him in the Power Center. In my opinion the Dr. Chuck room should be placed in the men’s room. The guy was a big disappointment at Duquesne. Good riddance Dr. Chuck.

3/16/2021 10:11 am  #25

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Phil95 I am a little confused. I think this guy made his point with facts in an articulate manner. Did you not make his point based upon your comments. Again I am not attacking you. I am a little pissed that he is using my trademark “Quinipiac Clown” without permission. In regard to the Dr. Dewars comment do you think the Cooper Field house would ever have been built with him as President. I understand the school has a conference room named after him in the Power Center. In my opinion the Dr. Chuck room should be placed in the men’s room. The guy was a big disappointment at Duquesne. Good riddance Dr. Chuck.

University administrators have a wide ranging list of responsibilities. Running the basketball program is one of them, but hardly the most important. The president in question has great respect from his peers in his chisen field of endeavor. His overall success at DU is widely recognized.Repeatedly insinuating he is a drunk because the basketball program didn't do very well in his tenure is, short-sighted, insensitive, & juvenile.

As for facts, Crosseye incorrectly reported that Schmidt "coaxed" 2 NCAA bids out of the Bonnies in 14 years; the correct number is 3.

P.S. The idea of canning KD to replace him with a very hot name with serious recruiting chops right now seems both radical & dangerous but, at some point, a bold move of this nature might be needed to complete the process.

Board footera