Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2021 12:09 pm  #1

TDM Returning

3/16/2021 12:39 pm  #2

Re: TDM Returning

Thank you for returning for next year.,Tavian is a winner and coming off the bench next year and providing instant offense,his outside shooting should improve plus he can be a backup point guard when needed.
 I am very happy

3/16/2021 12:42 pm  #3

Agree that he will  be an asset especially if he doesn't have to be the starting point guard. Like most shooters, he can be streaky, but when he is on, we don't have anyone else who can match him.

3/16/2021 12:43 pm  #4

Thanks for the update CLK. I think it's great news and might mean will hear from Marcus and Mike soon. Would be great to have all three back and add a couple quality transfers. Parham from VMI would be a great catch in my opinion.

3/16/2021 1:57 pm  #5

Great News. His role off the bench can be a big one!!  One down, two to go!!!

3/16/2021 4:50 pm  #6

I respect TDM's loyalty to his coach and Duquesne - that is old school. I sure wish that there was as much of a commitment from players in college basketball.

3/16/2021 5:47 pm  #7

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I respect TDM's loyalty to his coach and Duquesne - that is old school. I sure wish that there was as much of a commitment from players in college basketball.

Doesn’t make me less happy he is coming back but have to think COVID, his last season, and his size had likely made professional ball options pretty limited this coming year for TDM. If he can play as a 6th man next year and get back to his “microwave” scoring ability off the bench he can be a positive to the roster.

Hope he comes back, has a productive year, and parlays that into a decent pro contract when things open back up internationally.

Don’t know Marcus and Mike’s options will be as limited going into this next pro season, but my gut is still somewhere in the neighborhood of a 50/50 chance of them returning.

3/16/2021 8:10 pm  #8

I want to be excited by this. I really do. I was pleased to see him experience some positive results toward the end of the year against URI & Richmond. I think that his ability to protect the ball, find teammates in good situations for them to score, run the team on offense, & be more judicious with his shot selection showed real progress after 4-5 ugly games of learning a new position on the fly. Why wouldn't those same skills be further enhanced over a real offseason? He could be an ultra-experienced, high-quality, offensive backup PG while also providing second unit scoring punch playing off the ball. He could always be relied upon to lessen the impact of teammate foul trouble or injuries. He will certainly have 2-3 huge games.

I find it hard to believe that KD won't play him 28-32 minutes a game no matter who joins the squad or makes a big developmental leap over the summer. That's just too much for the team to thrive because TDM will never be more than an above-average/high-volume shooter & a major defensive liability.

3/17/2021 12:47 am  #9

phil95 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that KD won't play him 28-32 minutes a game no matter who joins the squad or makes a big developmental leap over the summer. That's just too much for the team to thrive because TDM will never be more than an above-average/high-volume shooter & a major defensive liability.

I agree with phil95 in not seeing this as a positive. TDM isn't coming back to play less than 25+ minutes and coupled with the 15 minutes Bekelja will apparently get, that means taking a huge amount of time away from other guards with a greater upside. The players know this all to well and the consequence will likely mean we lose someone to transfer. It's the way of things these days. Furthermore if all three return, I'm afraid we'll lose a total of 2-3 younger players, possibly Austin, Okani, and / or Kelly, each of whom would suffer a loss of playing time in such a scenario. I'd be surprised if Jett & possibly Rotroff return either way. I guess I'd rather see what the group of (now) sophs (plus Maceo) can do coupled with whatever recruits we can snag.

3/17/2021 3:00 am  #10

Amazing video made by Sydney Bauer who is also production assistant for the Penguins. Definitely happy he's coming back.

3/17/2021 9:11 am  #11

3/17/2021 9:22 am  #12

phil95 wrote:

I want to be excited by this. I really do. I was pleased to see him experience some positive results toward the end of the year against URI & Richmond. I think that his ability to protect the ball, find teammates in good situations for them to score, run the team on offense, & be more judicious with his shot selection showed real progress after 4-5 ugly games of learning a new position on the fly. Why wouldn't those same skills be further enhanced over a real offseason? He could be an ultra-experienced, high-quality, offensive backup PG while also providing second unit scoring punch playing off the ball. He could always be relied upon to lessen the impact of teammate foul trouble or injuries. He will certainly have 2-3 huge games.

I thought I was the only person that thought like this.   Everywhere on social media was like "this is great news", "Mike and Marcus need to come back too".   IDK.   I've been torn on this the whole time, and I dont feel like DUQ is better off today than yesterday morning.   I think it makes KD's job harder.

3/17/2021 9:44 am  #13

Really not too certain how many options KD had this past season. If TDM did not get the minutes that he got, wondering who else would have been qualified to eat those minutes. Also given TDM's track record of getting hot and really lighting it up at times, I'm not certain that it was a bad decision to give him the opportunity to do so. It just didn't bear the fruit that might have blossomed. This coming season there will undoubtedly be other guards in the program giving KD more available options. I'll be surprised to see TDM getting more minutes than he earns next season. We will see.

3/17/2021 9:53 am  #14

mudfoot wrote:

[o. I'd be surprised if Jett & possibly Rotroff return either way. I guess I'd rather see what the group of (now) sophs (plus Maceo) can do coupled with whatever recruits we can snag.

If I were Jett, there is no way I come back. He didn't see one minute of playing time and basically wasted a year of his precious time, sitting on the bench. Watching a retread like Ryan Murphy or  "Justin Stright II" rack up unimpressive minutes must have been frustrating.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/17/2021 7:49 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/17/2021 10:07 am  #15

Tejas and Townson I am with you guys!!!  Phil, I hope you meant to say that KD will NOT play TDM 28-32 min per game and Mud if TDM is coming back to play 25+ min a game and Bekelja 15+ min we are in trouble.  Why?  I've posted numerous times about A-10 upper tier talent level, period.  TDM is ok as a microwave off the bench if he is hot, but at 5'8" he is otherwise a D liability.  As to Bekelja, well Tejas made a very good analogy in my view..........

3/17/2021 11:11 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

This is a great point and my biggest fear around him coming back. I am excited in the hopes he goes back to his best role as a 6th man with the other guards we are recruiting.

I don’t necessarily feel like he wouldn’t come back for that role. He was playing and scoring significantly better in that role and I’m sure he knows it. Also, if your options are to come back in that role or end your basketball career, you might be more willing to consider.

Manu Ginobli was a great player we all know, he was best and and eventually learned to love coming off the bench for those great spurs teams, it has been done before!

But I also agree that if he comes back in the same role as last year we are in trouble. Just remember, he started the season in his 6th man role until Carry and Norman walked. One year as desperation starting point, rest of the career as the 6th man, I think he can transition back to the other role.

3/17/2021 11:13 am  #17

KD strikes me as the type of guy that despite loving TDM and wanting him to get minutes, he also realizes the shortfalls of his game and how that translates to the team as a whole.

Hoping he isn’t back as the starting 1.

3/17/2021 11:40 am  #18

Duques102 wrote:

. Just remember, he started the season in his 6th man role until Carry and Norman walked. One year as desperation starting point, rest of the career as the 6th man, I think he can transition back to the other role.

Excellent Point!  I think Coach Dambrot knows more about players' strengths and weaknesses than a bunch of guys on a message board. Just my hunch!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/17/2021 11:54 am  #19

TDM is a fan favorite, even if he doesn't get much love on this Board.  The young kids love him.  Now to be fair TDM was asked to take on the role as our primary point guard, and to his credit he gave it all he had playing 30m/pg up from 20-25m/pg.  In the process his three point shooting dropped 35% to 30%.   KD had no choice as TDM was the closet player we had to a game ready point guard, even though he is best suited as a micro wave shooting guard coming off the bench. Given the circumstances it worked out as well as could be expected.

By all accounts KD i searching for a top notch point guard.  If he finds the right guy I expect to see him play 30+ minutes per game.  I also see stud SG Chad Baker (40% three point shooter) given the chance to protect his starting role.  I see TDM getting 20+  minutes a game,  mostly at SG but much depends on how well KD recruits. This does complicate the recruiting at the 2 a little bit.  In all honesty some of the names in the PSN seem like pie in the sky although I like that KD is going after them.  He really needs to win those types of high level transfer recruits.

Bottom line I am glad TDM is returning.  He is a free player as he does not count toward the scholarship limit, and it is good for him as he can get his masters degree which will serve him well after basketball.  TDM's minutes and role  is TBD.     

3/17/2021 1:12 pm  #20

Well said CLK!!

3/17/2021 1:30 pm  #21

CLK wrote:

TDM is a fan favorite, even if he doesn't get much love on this Board.  The young kids love him.  Now to be fair TDM was asked to take on the role as our primary point guard, and to his credit he gave it all he had playing 30m/pg up from 20-25m/pg.  In the process his three point shooting dropped 35% to 30%.   KD had no choice as TDM was the closet player we had to a game ready point guard, even though he is best suited as a micro wave shooting guard coming off the bench. Given the circumstances it worked out as well as could be expected.

By all accounts KD i searching for a top notch point guard.  If he finds the right guy I expect to see him play 30+ minutes per game.  I also see stud SG Chad Baker (40% three point shooter) given the chance to protect his starting role.  I see TDM getting 20+  minutes a game,  mostly at SG but much depends on how well KD recruits. This does complicate the recruiting at the 2 a little bit.  In all honesty some of the names in the PSN seem like pie in the sky although I like that KD is going after them.  He really needs to win those types of high level transfer recruits.

Bottom line I am glad TDM is returning.  He is a free player as he does not count toward the scholarship limit, and it is good for him as he can get his masters degree which will serve him well after basketball.  TDM's minutes and role  is TBD.     

All true.

If KD had committed to giving Acuff serious minutes the moment Sin departed, that would have gone a long way toward me being more enthusiastic about TDM's return.

3/17/2021 2:46 pm  #22

I thought Acuff showed enough early on to warrant more and more minutes as the year went on too, and I do think he continually improved throughout the year, but was also stunted by only getting a small piece of the pie. Not exactly sure why KD didn’t want to trust him more with some of the mistakes TDM could make at times but hopefully that changes with another year/off-season under Acuff’s belt.

3/17/2021 3:47 pm  #23

Captain Obvious:  I’m glad he is returning...BUT, he is NOT the answer to our problems or will solve the issue of us getting to the NIT or NCAA at all.

3/17/2021 4:56 pm  #24

Captain More Obvious:  Only members of this fan base would Complain and moan about a player returning to the Bluff for another season; a player who was the A10 Conference 6th Man of the Year on a 20 win team.   

3/17/2021 7:27 pm  #25

This narrative  that Acuff was somehow shortchanged on playing time is a little old. Remember that the goal is always to play the guys that give you the best shot at winning the game; so can we just assume that the Coach who sees the players practice daily; may actually know more than us about who deserves playing time!

Board footera