Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2021 11:52 am  #1

D2 PF Transfer R. J. Gunn Commits to DU

Last edited by CLK (3/22/2021 11:53 am)

3/22/2021 11:58 am  #2

3/22/2021 12:01 pm  #3

3/22/2021 12:08 pm  #4

Re: D2 PF Transfer R. J. Gunn Commits to DU

3/22/2021 12:25 pm  #5

Thanks CLK. I like this pick up. Some needed bulk. I'm hoping Butler from Holy Cross commits along with Parham from VMI especially if neither Hughes or Weathers come back for one more year.

3/22/2021 12:30 pm  #6

A 6-7 245 lb guy thats looks pretty quick and shoots the rock.He is kind of freakish,athletic ,good shooter has
the skills of a guard???OK whats wrong,is this some trick?

3/22/2021 12:30 pm  #7

One year of eligibility remaining, makes me think Weathers isn't coming back. 

3/22/2021 12:30 pm  #8

Rayrich wrote:

Thanks CLK. I like this pick up. Some needed bulk. I'm hoping Butler from Holy Cross commits along with Parham from VMI especially if neither Hughes or Weathers come back for one more year.

Ray, right now, regardless if Weather & Hughes return we only have one scholarship left, unless other players transfer.

We definitely need an experienced point guard.  

3/22/2021 12:32 pm  #9

A 6-7 245 lb guy thats looks pretty quick and shoots the rock.He is kind of freakish,athletic ,good shooter has
the skills of a guard???OK whats wrong,is this some trick? He plays like Lebron.

3/22/2021 1:06 pm  #10

Isn't MH #21?

3/22/2021 1:24 pm  #11

Guess we'll have to wait to see who he really is and what he is capable of when he gets here. Very intriguing but I won't allow myself to get too excited (at my age) about him. Hoping for the very best of course.
It looks like only one scholarship remaining, barring any transfers. Still holding my breath on that one.  Let's make it a solid PG!

3/22/2021 1:33 pm  #12

I like the look of this on paper.  He has good size and I love the experience factor.  As some of said watching the video above he seems to have a nice shooting touch as well. 

I saw somewhere on Twitter he was Top 5 in rounding in Div II

Curious to see what else happens.

3/22/2021 3:03 pm  #13

Interesting, but I like what I see in terms of the size, athleticism and shooting.  He is 2" taller than Marcus, but probably not as strong underneath, but looks to be a better shooter.  I always like lefties too and I agree that with this guy coming in for 1 year I wouldn't think Marcus is coming back, which may mean Dre has a bigger role as well - not a bad thing.  Still as others say we need a really good PG!!!  My 2 favorites are the guy from VMI and the other Prep guard who was listed by PSN in prior article.  That Prep guard (Poros?) looks super quick and can score as well.   

3/22/2021 3:12 pm  #14

FYI
Grady of Davidson hit the transfer list.

3/22/2021 3:15 pm  #15

I assume this means Weathers is leaving.   Would make sense to bring in similar body, and Harris isnt pressed into playing 30 minutes a game.   He looked good vs D2 players, but playing vs St Bona and VCU will be another story, hope it works out for DUQ.

3/22/2021 3:25 pm  #16

And I see the Bonnies made the final 4 for the Braham kid from Bobby Mo.  6'7" and a very good player, why weren't we even considered?  His other choices are ASU, Nevada and Western Kt.  Just wondering who else wanted RJG as Townson makes a good point about the level of competition, but Gunn does look good on tape and I hope the tape is on the money.

3/22/2021 4:24 pm  #17

The PSN story says he played guard at Lenoir Rhyne and will be a stretch 4 at Duquesne. 

3/22/2021 6:17 pm  #18

Townson...I’m thinking the same thing.  Folks have been saying we need to get to the next recruiting level - who we have had has not put us at the top of the A-10, the NIT, or the NCAA.  Of course we all hope this kid is great but he is coming from Division II and that does mean the competition (for sake of arguing) is not what it is in the A-10.  So, if we lose Hughes and Weathers, and didn’t get there with them, and then bring in a D-II guy, I don’t understand how that makes us better.  Time will tell.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (3/22/2021 6:18 pm)

3/22/2021 6:48 pm  #19

Fair point FAM, fair point indeed.  Where is the "next level" of recruiting that Harper and Dambrot both talked about with the University commitment and the Coop?????????

3/22/2021 7:55 pm  #20

This signing only makes sense to me if this guy is severely under the radar for injury/academic reasons or if KD already knows that there will be mass transfers & by default, many slots to fill.

Four years of college experience has its value but, given his size, 3PT shooting percentage, & obvious athleticism; shouldn't he have been gobbled up by any of a hundred D-I programs after either his promising sophomore or excellent junior season if he has A-10 chops?. Were there a dozen top 150 NET schools in hot pursuit of him?

For a 1 year guy, I want to be confident that a transfer is at least good enough to be one of the top 60-80 players in the conference. What Division II shooting guard ever morphed into an A-10 stretch-4? It just seems like such a longshot. 
I will root like for crazy this guy. He has a nice lefty stroke, seems stronger than most, his quotes in the PSN article portray him as a focused, practical young man, & he has a cool name for a shooter. I completely understand why he would want to come to DU.

I must admit that the first 2 signings of the promised "COVID Extra Eligibility Transfer Sweepstakes", (I am pushing for this historic phenomena to be referred to as, "C.E.E.T.S.".) have been a bit underwhelming for me. (I consider TDM an OK grad transfer signing.)

Who knows, maybe a few years from now Mike Breen & Kevin Harlan will be talking about Gunn's unconventional route to the NBA promise land. The guys with the crazy origin stories have to come from somewhere. Why not Lenoir-Rhyne via 1 season on The Bluff?

Last edited by phil95 (3/22/2021 7:57 pm)

3/22/2021 9:22 pm  #21

Well Phil and Fam I too will root for RJG, but the things you both bring up are really starting to make me question our recruiting targets this year.....and the failure to move anyone out who is NOT A-10 talent level.  Just being realistic here guys, we need a talent upgrade in certain spots from the existing roster, and it would be nice to see us get some players that other good schools want.  Looking back, I would say that Maceo was the highest rated target in the last two cycles (he had some nice offers I recall), but I do like (a lot) the 4 four freshman we have, we just need to add a couple of experienced/talented players to the mix.  Time will tell, but for now I am......... ..  

3/22/2021 10:40 pm  #22

This might be a stretch on KD's part. If Gunn works out it will be seen as a bold move. 
We won't know the answer for quite awhile. 
I'm really expecting a move from a number of our current players beside MH and MW who I now believe may not be back. Just speculation. May be reading too much into this signing. I need to chill.
Watching USC completely dismantle a very average Kansas team right now.

3/23/2021 6:01 am  #23

I got to believe with all the players in the portal KD has to believe this kid is going to be productive. Whether he's right is yet to be seen.I've seen some local D2 players at the ProAm that outplayed some of our guys.

3/23/2021 6:08 am  #24

Shades of Sincere Carry - Seems like he tore his ACL in his senior year and that likely factored into his Division II route.  Here's a link to an old article - 

https://phenomhoopreport.com/66-unsigned-senior-rj-gunn-of-irmo-hs-sc/

3/23/2021 7:16 am  #25

indygjm wrote:

Shades of Sincere Carry - Seems like he tore his ACL in his senior year and that likely factored into his Division II route.  Here's a link to an old article - 

https://phenomhoopreport.com/66-unsigned-senior-rj-gunn-of-irmo-hs-sc/

Really good research and most likely significant as to Gunn's current status. He may indeed be a steal for KD.
Still one wonders if other schools have shown any interest. We will see.

Board footera