Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2021 2:01 pm  #1

Tre Williams Commits To DU

https://twitter.com/mvukovcan/status/1376610937747148802?s=20

Last edited by CLK (3/29/2021 2:03 pm)

3/29/2021 2:04 pm  #2

3/29/2021 2:12 pm  #3

Re: Tre Williams Commits To DU

Great pick up and only a Junior. Watched him play quite a bit as a frosh and was really impressed.

3/29/2021 2:20 pm  #4

Ray, I could be wrong but I think he has three years left.

3/29/2021 2:26 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

Ray, I could be wrong but I think he has three years left.

Oh wow I believe you are correct CLK as I just saw that on Twitter myself. Even better.

3/29/2021 2:34 pm  #6

3/29/2021 2:57 pm  #7

I almost pissed myself when I read and thought Tre Mitchell from UMass chose the Dukes!    

3/29/2021 3:24 pm  #8

2 years of big minutes as a starter in a very respectable conference, 3 years of eligibility left, strong & mobile, doesn't shoot 3s just because now everybody shoots 3s, known as a good defender, excellent FG percentage, & good academics makes him a really nice signing. Nice job coaching staff!

Lots of fouls, few assists, too many turnovers, undersized center, & terrible FT shooter. The good news is that his FT% went up nearly 10% from his freshman to sophomore season on double the per game volume & all but his size should improve with maturity.

Why is he listed as a junior on the ISU website if he was at Woodstock Academy 2018-19?

3/29/2021 5:39 pm  #9

phil95 wrote:

2 years of big minutes as a starter in a very respectable conference, 3 years of eligibility left, strong & mobile, doesn't shoot 3s just because now everybody shoots 3s, known as a good defender, excellent FG percentage, & good academics makes him a really nice signing. Nice job coaching staff!

Lots of fouls, few assists, too many turnovers, undersized center, & terrible FT shooter. The good news is that his FT% went up nearly 10% from his freshman to sophomore season on double the per game volume & all but his size should improve with maturity.

Why is he listed as a junior on the ISU website if he was at Woodstock Academy 2018-19?

We pretty much have to live with undersized centers like Hughes and Williams. Haven't had any success getting talented 6'10' and above here. 

Last edited by WashPaRick (3/29/2021 5:52 pm)

3/29/2021 5:53 pm  #10

townsonkid wrote:

I almost pissed myself when I read and thought Tre Mitchell from UMass chose the Dukes!    

I hear ya. I had him as Mitchell in my last post.

3/29/2021 6:02 pm  #11

I don't think this guy will disappoint any of us. Gets nice and squared creating space by using his size to get the ball underneath. Watched this guy for a couple years now. Williams to me sees the court well and does it with a patience of an old school player. When he gets the ball underneath he looks for other options, if not there he doesn't panic, he's under control, but strong at the same time being nimble when taking it to the hoop. This is a gem in the ruff in my opinion. Really happy the Dukes landed this guy.

3/29/2021 6:08 pm  #12

This is a very solid pick up for KD and staff and this kid reminds me a bit of Wes Unseld from way back in the day.  He seems really strong, which helps given that he is not that tall for a 5.  Anyway, he has talent and is proven and has 3 years of eligibility (someone please confirm this) which means he most likely would not be jumping anywhere anytime soon.  I'm anxious to see who else we bring in at the PG and any other bigs or shooters.  DU's roster, like most other teams, will look a good bit different next season, but I hope our young "talented" freshman stay with us.  Very interesting that we haven't had any of our other guys enter the portal...........time will tell.

3/29/2021 6:42 pm  #13

Nice to see Gunn and Williams both have a little meat on their bones.

3/29/2021 7:07 pm  #14

PistolPete wrote:

This is a very solid pick up for KD and staff and this kid reminds me a bit of Wes Unseld from way back in the day.  He seems really strong, which helps given that he is not that tall for a 5.  Anyway, he has talent and is proven and has 3 years of eligibility (someone please confirm this) which means he most likely would not be jumping anywhere anytime soon.  I'm anxious to see who else we bring in at the PG and any other bigs or shooters.  DU's roster, like most other teams, will look a good bit different next season, but I hope our young "talented" freshman stay with us.  Very interesting that we haven't had any of our other guys enter the portal...........time will tell.

Was thinking of Wes Unseld as well when I saw this player. Could be the most significant pickup so far. KD and staff really getting on it!

3/29/2021 8:16 pm  #15

3/30/2021 7:27 am  #16

The 52% foul shooting this past season is a bit worrisome but should be able to be improved upon. He brings a pretty good inside game and if he can get his FT % to the level of MH or MW, that would be acceptable to my way of thinking. 

3/30/2021 12:32 pm  #17

Thoughts from beyond and a question...
-Mike Ig- I agree with you about the weight room - Look at the sweet 16 and see how rough it is there.  The Dukes have "almost never" done an adequate job getting our guys more physical/muscular
-To all - and I am NOT perfect....but a number of posters are inferring voice tone and body language from posts.  I also believe folks need to not take things too personal and if they do, it's only a basketball board for goodness sakes.  

QUESTION:  For those of you who do this well, (not me),  Let's presume that Weathers will leave.  Keeping things as they are, and pretending everyone else is returning, and looking at who the coach has signed, How many spots are left or are we over the limit right now?  I certainly can't figure it out.  Thanks to all!
Go Dukes!

3/30/2021 1:29 pm  #18

FAM, good question.  I was just talking to a friend about that.  We have 10 players retuning (not counting Dunn Martin). We started the year with 15 players including TDM (not counting the known walk ons).  At that point we believed 2 more players were paying their own way.  Since then 5 scholarships opened up (three seniors plus Carry and Norman).  We have committed 4 scholarships as of right now.

I believe that we are going to get three more recruits.  we have offers out to point guards, shooting guards, and C/PF.  If the two  guys currently on the roster will still be paying their own way in that scenario we would have to shed two player (if my math is right).

We will have to see how this all plays out, but Imagine this line up just for sake of conversation. I think we would be dancing.

PG: New Transfer (Chico), Spears
SG: New Transfer (Collins), Baker
SF:  Gunn, Okani
PF:  Williams, Harris
 C:   New Transfer, Kelly or Hima

Last edited by CLK (3/30/2021 1:45 pm)

3/30/2021 4:09 pm  #19

Interesting group. That would be an impressive haul.I must have missed a post. Who is Collins you have listed under 2Gs?

Do you see Acuff, Roesing, & Barba going away or just out of the rotation?

3/30/2021 4:15 pm  #20

The way I see it going into this year we had 13 scholarship players plus a couple of pay their own way or some other none counting against scholarship reason. We lost 3 players so far in Carry,Norman and Hughes. We've picked up 2 freshmen and 2 transfers so my Jethro Bodine math is telling me we are 1 over the limit at this point.

Last edited by WashPaRick (3/30/2021 6:42 pm)

3/30/2021 4:24 pm  #21

phil95 wrote:

Interesting group. That would be an impressive haul.I must have missed a post. Who is Collins you have listed under 2Gs?

Do you see Acuff, Roesing, & Barba going away or just out of the rotation?

We are recruiting David Collins, a transfer shooting guard from University of South Florida. He is a local kid that went to First Love.

I think there will be a lot of competition for playing time. I just threw that out as a "for instance".  We will see who stays and who doesn't.

3/30/2021 6:43 pm  #22

WashPaRick wrote:

The way I see it going into this year we had 13 scholarship players plus a couple of pay their own way or some other none counting against scholarship reason. We lost 3 players so far in Carry,Norman and Hughes. We've picked up 2 freshmen and 2 transfers so my Jethro Bodine math is telling me we are 1 over the limit at this point.

With Weathers leaving I think that puts us at the limit.

3/30/2021 7:01 pm  #23

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

I think we are 1 under as TDM does not count towards the Scholarship limit.  If Marcus and Mike had returned they would not have counted towards the limit either. So if we get three more recruits we would have to lose two players.

3/30/2021 7:26 pm  #24

KD over recruits and then figures it out, so let's see what happens.

3/30/2021 8:37 pm  #25

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

I think we are 1 under as TDM does not count towards the Scholarship limit. If Marcus and Mike had returned they would not have counted towards the limit either. So if we get three more recruits we would have to lose two players.

I gotta do some more figuring on this Jethro Bodine style.

Board footera