Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2021 3:02 pm  #1

3/31/2021 3:08 pm  #2

Re: DU Gets A Commitment From Pedro Castro

3/31/2021 3:30 pm  #3

Well, Rene' Castro turned out to be a pretty nice player for us; maybe Pedro will be as well!  

3/31/2021 3:37 pm  #4

Wow. Great news. This guy has a sweet jumper and VERY athletic. Solid in all phases of the game. Watched him last in their conference tourney. Was really impressed by this guy. You guys are going to REALLY like this one.

Last edited by Rayrich (3/31/2021 3:37 pm)

3/31/2021 3:40 pm  #5

3/31/2021 3:47 pm  #6

He does have a nice shot tho!   And 88% from the FT line is really nice too.   He can be a leading scorer.  But i feel the whole roster saga, version 2021, is hardly settled.   

3/31/2021 4:03 pm  #7

This is really great news!!!  KD and staff rock!! Let's just cut to the chase and get to the final 4 next season!!
I'm really psyched with what i'm seeing here. Let's start the season next Tuesday!!!

3/31/2021 4:30 pm  #8

Looks to be another good get. Time will tell but I'm optimistic these transfers will be able to continue to be productive at Duquesne.

3/31/2021 4:32 pm  #9

townsonkid wrote:

He does have a nice shot tho!   And 88% from the FT line is really nice too.   He can be a leading scorer.  But i feel the whole roster saga, version 2021, is hardly settled.   

Pick up the big guy from North Dakota or even Butler from Holy Cross and we'll be dancing. Could be dancing right now with the pick ups in my opinion. Castro and Williams could be all conference players when it's all said and done. Castro and Baker will create all kinds of matchup headaches for opposing coaches in the A-10. Castro will be in the NBA some day. One of those guys who does everything well and who has one of the quickest releases  from three i've ever seen and a sweet touch to boot. No guard in the A-10 can elevate with him. Long arms and cat like quickness. Rare athlete who sees the court so well. The dude can really elevate and quickly. His supporting cast save one or two at Houston Baptist were mostly Division 2 players who were well coached, but is probably the reason why the P-5 schools didn't offer. Their loss our find. 

3/31/2021 4:36 pm  #10

Rayrich wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Pick up the big guy from North Dakota or even Butler from Holy Cross and we'll be dancing. Could be dancing right now with the pick ups in my opinion. Castro and Williams could be all conference players when it's all said and done. Castro and Baker will create all kinds of matchup headaches for opposing coaches in the A-10. Castro will be in the NBA some day. One of those guys who does everything well and who has one of the quickest releases  from three i've ever seen and a sweet touch to boot. No guard in the A-10 can elevate with him. Long arms and cat like quickness. Rare athlete who sees the court so well. The dude can really elevate and quickly. His supporting cast save one or two at Houston Baptist were mostly Division 2 players who were well coached, but is probably the reason why the P-5 schools didn't offer. Their loss our find. 

So you kinda like this kid?

3/31/2021 4:58 pm  #11

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

So you kinda like this kid?

Lol. Absolutely love this pick up.

3/31/2021 5:40 pm  #12

I really like this kid as well and his shooting stroke is sweet.  Pedro and Baker have the length to get their shots off and you have to love Castro's %'s.  My goodness shooting 48% from the 3 and 88% from the foul line - what is there not to like - excellent pick up.  Questions for the group, what conference does Houston Baptist play in?  What was the level of competition?  Also Townson I am on board with you, the 2021 roster story is not yet finished.  I for one would love to see us get the PG from Murray State, another seasoned big and then as my buddy the GMan says........"wrap it up kid"!!!

3/31/2021 5:58 pm  #13

PistolPete wrote:

I really like this kid as well and his shooting stroke is sweet.  Pedro and Baker have the length to get their shots off and you have to love Castro's %'s.  My goodness shooting 48% from the 3 and 88% from the foul line - what is there not to like - excellent pick up.  Questions for the group, what conference does Houston Baptist play in?  What was the level of competition?  Also Townson I am on board with you, the 2021 roster story is not yet finished.  I for one would love to see us get the PG from Murray State, another seasoned big and then as my buddy the GMan says........"wrap it up kid"!!!

Houston Baptist plays in the Southland conference. The winner of that conference Abilene Christian defeated Texas in the first round this year. Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin have been their most recent powers. Good mid major conference that also has Nicholls State, Mc Neese State, Lamar, UT Arlington, etc...among it's members. Castro would start for any A-10 team right now. He's a future NBA player.

3/31/2021 6:04 pm  #14

TCU       13pts  10r                    OKLA.    13       6
Ariz.St.    8          7                     Lamar     16       10
SMU        9         5                      Lamar     21         9
Rice         4          3                     Lamar     24         8
No. Tex    14        3

Those are his numbers against the better teams on their schedule. Lamar probably happy he's leaving.

3/31/2021 6:24 pm  #15

Get him in that new weight room and put 10-15lbs on him.

3/31/2021 6:26 pm  #16

WashPaRick wrote:

TCU       13pts  10r                    OKLA.    13       6
Ariz.St.    8          7                     Lamar     16       10
SMU        9         5                      Lamar     21         9
Rice         4          3                     Lamar     24         8
No. Tex    14        3

Those are his numbers against the better teams on their schedule. Lamar probably happy he's leaving.

Hard to put his stats in context. He was basically playing with Division two caliber players who didn't make his life easy.

3/31/2021 6:26 pm  #17

Is Pedro a junior or senior at Duquesne?

3/31/2021 6:29 pm  #18

stew wrote:

That guy couldn't add weight  if he tried. Just slow him down. Doesn't need to. Pound for pound he's a beast. 7.3 rebounds a game and gets a foot over the rim on dunks. Just one of those guys and not intimidated by his lack of weight.

3/31/2021 6:37 pm  #19

stew wrote:

Is Pedro a junior or senior at Duquesne?

He was listed as a junior at Houston Baptist so he will still be a junior.

3/31/2021 6:44 pm  #20

This is hard to follow but I think Pedro:
 -Had open heart surgery in 2015 to repair a vein that was constricting a heart valve.
-Graduated high school in 2017 & signed with UT-Arlington but did not play at all that year while redshirting
-18-19 he played in 33 games at UTA, starting 3/playing 13 minutes a game while averaging 2.6 points per game & shooting poorly from 3 & FT line but pretty well from 2PT range
-Transferred to Blinn JC (1 year home of Cam Newton) for 2019-20 where he started 30 games averaging 10.8 pts, 6.3 rebs, 3.6 assists, 1.5 T/O, 1 steal, & 1.5 blocks while shooting .495/.391/.585. He & 8 teammates signed with 4 years schools at the end of that season
-He was Houston Baptist's leader this year for minutes, games, 3pt % & makes, rebounds, FT % & makes, blocks, steals, & points while shooting .472/.474/.881 on a bad team
-With about 30 more attempts, he would have finished 2nd nationally in 3PT shooting percentage
-I think this means he has 2 years of remaining eligibility.
-He will be well on his way to being 22 years old before the start of the season.

Last edited by phil95 (3/31/2021 6:48 pm)

3/31/2021 6:47 pm  #21

Rayrich wrote:

stew wrote:

That guy couldn't add weight  if he tried. Just slow him down. Doesn't need to. Pound for pound he's a beast. 7.3 rebounds a game and gets a foot over the rim on dunks. Just one of those guys and not intimidated by his lack of weight.

Dead-on evaluation. He & Baker have those KD/Tayshaun Prince bodies. They may never need larger uniforms but they are aggressive just the same.

3/31/2021 6:51 pm  #22

It looks like adding shooters was a priority, with Gunn, and Castro to go along with Chad Baker the Dukes should have the best group of shooters we’ve seen in a while.  I like having multiple guys who can hit the three!  It should also give Tre Williams room to operate in the paint and beyond.  Definitely a née look for next season!.

3/31/2021 6:53 pm  #23

Rayrich wrote:

stew wrote:

Was he the shooting guard at Houston Baptist or the small forward?

3/31/2021 6:54 pm  #24

I am now praying feverishly that I live to hear Ray describe a Primo to Chico to Pedro fast break. If only there were an under-the-radar 7-footer named Groucho available to clean the glass & throw an outlet pass to get things started.

(I may have to be content with that outlet pass being Gunned down the floor to Primo.) 

3/31/2021 6:56 pm  #25

It looks like adding shooters was a priority, with Gunn, and Castro to go along with Chad Baker the Dukes should have the best group of shooters we’ve seen in a while.  I like having multiple guys who can hit the three!  It should also give Tre Williams room to operate in the paint and beyond.  Definitely a née look for next season!.

Board footera