Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2021 5:49 pm  #1

Harris

Posted the other day “Big News Coming” - took DUQ MBB out of his Instagram bio and stopped following them.

Nothing official yet but the writing is on the wall.

5/15/2021 5:28 am  #2

Re: Harris

That would be a shame but he seemed the next most likely based upon his interaction with Dambrot on the bench.

5/15/2021 6:58 am  #3

1111 Vickroy wrote:

That would be a shame but he seemed the next most likely based upon his interaction with Dambrot on the bench.

Exactly. If that never happened he probably would not have ended up on my list of potential transfers. I imagine he wants to go back to the West Coast.

5/15/2021 8:05 am  #4

Anticipated. Rather astounded this (potential) action hadn't already occurred. If this decision becomes factual, might coach hunt for an experienced 6'10"+

5/15/2021 2:30 pm  #5

Another guy who has an inflated opinion of his value.  He is not a high -energy guy and seems to prefer form over function!  I just don’t think guys like that will ever change for the better; and suddenly start to play with enthusiasm and energy.  He has the body to play at this level but does he want to be good or just fill a roster spot somewhere?

5/15/2021 2:43 pm  #6

Pretty sure he was giving KD some lip on the sidelines one game which may be the reason that he leaves if he leaves. Coach is getting rid of the disrupters.

5/15/2021 3:06 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Another guy who has an inflated opinion of his value.  He is not a high -energy guy and seems to prefer form over function!  I just don’t think guys like that will ever change for the better; and suddenly start to play with enthusiasm and energy.  He has the body to play at this level but does he want to be good or just fill a roster spot somewhere?

What makes you write so definitively about his lack of energy? Just wondering.

I get that he is a possible malcontent but I thought he played with verve.

5/15/2021 4:48 pm  #8

He is a talent, with good hands and a very good passer out of the high post - with some low post moves as well.  I would not be surprised of anything anymore, but I would like to see Dre stay and develop, but I hear what everyone is saying.

5/15/2021 11:34 pm  #9

PistolPete wrote:

He is a talent, with good hands and a very good passer out of the high post - with some low post moves as well.  I would not be surprised of anything anymore, but I would like to see Dre stay and develop, but I hear what everyone is saying.

Agree.  He has a huge upside.  Still young and looked good at times last year.  He's the type of player who could develop into a star.  He's a good example of what I've said before.  KD needs to learn how to work with these types of players.  

If he was a cancer in the locker room - I get it.  Good riddance.  But I didn't get that.  He was behind Marcus Weathers on the depth chart and did a nice when Marcus needed a rest.  Things seemed to be progressing normally.  I was (am) really looking forward to seeing him move up to starter and become an inside presence for this team.  

5/16/2021 3:31 pm  #10

Styles1229 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Agree.  He has a huge upside.  Still young and looked good at times last year.  He's the type of player who could develop into a star.  He's a good example of what I've said before.  KD needs to learn how to work with these types of players.  

If he was a cancer in the locker room - I get it.  Good riddance.  But I didn't get that.  He was behind Marcus Weathers on the depth chart and did a nice when Marcus needed a rest.  Things seemed to be progressing normally.  I was (am) really looking forward to seeing him move up to starter and become an inside presence for this team.  

You better duck, cause attacks are incoming.   You cant say anything about Dambrot here except 100% praise.

5/16/2021 6:51 pm  #11

I won't attack anyone here ever but, while I know that KD doesn't walk on water, we are fortunate to have a coach of his caliber at Duquesne.  Could he be more flexible in certain situations? I really can't say for sure since I don't know the whole story when it comes to any players who have left or may  leave. What I do know for certain is that KD will do things his way while he is HC here and that's the way that it should be. Go Dukes!

Last edited by El Presidente (5/16/2021 6:52 pm)

5/16/2021 7:08 pm  #12

I'm getting tired of this. It's worse than free agency in pro sports. My interest is waning. How do you get to like a team when it's drastically different every year?

5/16/2021 8:33 pm  #13

I completely agree with being tired of this!  I think also it is worse than free agency, at least with that free agents sign a contract sometimes for 2 or 3 years with a team.  We may see this season some of these additions perform extremely well then decide to enter the portal next spring and depart for a higher conference.  The young athletes of today can't handle criticism at all and don't understand that old school coaches like Dambrot can seem angry or being harsh but are doing so to make you elevate your game to be the best you can be. This easy transfer portal doesn't to me bond a student-athlete to a school with pride, instead it is just another team that you're on for this season.

5/17/2021 7:28 am  #14

FWIW, The Dukes’ SID created a 21-22 roster page for Andre Harris (along with all returning players).
https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/andre-harris/10655

5/17/2021 9:26 am  #15

Was May 1 the last day students had to be in the portal for men’s basketball???

5/17/2021 9:34 am  #16

FAM wrote:

Was May 1 the last day students had to be in the portal for men’s basketball???

For this year, the date to gain immediate eligibility for the 2021-2 season is July 1, 2021.

Next year it will revert to the May 1 date.

5/17/2021 10:16 am  #17

Thanks ghost....the more I read, the more I kept getting different dates.

5/17/2021 11:51 am  #18

I have a question concerning the transfer rule. How many times can a player transfer without sitting out a year? Is this a one time thing or can the player transfer every year without ever sitting out? Totally confused.

5/17/2021 12:26 pm  #19

El Presidente wrote:

I have a question concerning the transfer rule. How many times can a player transfer without sitting out a year? Is this a one time thing or can the player transfer every year without ever sitting out? Totally confused.

Like soccer and other sports....one time.

5/17/2021 12:29 pm  #20

Why

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

You better duck, cause attacks are incoming.   You cant say anything about Dambrot here except 100% praise.

Why is it well thought out criticism but rebuttals and different perspectives attacks?? 

Just wondering....

5/17/2021 12:30 pm  #21

El Presidente wrote:

I won't attack anyone here ever but, while I know that KD doesn't walk on water, we are fortunate to have a coach of his caliber at Duquesne.  Could he be more flexible in certain situations? I really can't say for sure since I don't know the whole story when it comes to any players who have left or may  leave. What I do know for certain is that KD will do things his way while he is HC here and that's the way that it should be. Go Dukes!

Yeah, everything is speculation when it comes to exactly how the coach handles a player and the reasons for his transfer.  We just don't get any anecdotal info in those matters  I'm a KD guy - sincerely.  I've said before, though others disagree, his in-game management is impressive.  Under Ferry, I was would get so frustrated watching the other team neutralize our guards in the last 5-8 minutes of games and storm back to beat us.  Now, whether ahead or down, I'm confident KD can lead us to the win.  When we lose, it's more about execution than plan. 

I'm not sure KD has earned the benefit of the doubt though when it comes to managing the higher-end talent.  At least as the Dukes' coach.  Harris hasn't left yet so I cannot fault him for anything there but Harris was a highly touted recruit, at least by Duquesne standards, and if he leaves now, especially at this date, I think it will have to be because he is not satisfied with his treatment.  Again, maybe it's good riddance - but I'd love to see a guy who is not your typical "team guy" "hard worker" "good head on his shoulders" and all the other platitudes to describe an "easy to coach" player choose to stay at Duquesne if he can be a difference-maker.  It's a coaching skill important in these times.  KD hasn't shown me THAT yet.  

5/17/2021 12:40 pm  #22

My understanding is that going forward they will get one transfer without penalty; but remember that the rule doesn't apply once the player has graduated; but retains eligibility.  The "grad transfer" doesn't sit out a year, even if he transferred earlier in his career.  So if you see a guy, that you know has already transferred once, moving to another school and playing instantly; it is probably because he graduated from his second school.  That would apply to Marcus Weathers, whom, I assume has a Duquesne degree; so he could transfer again without penalty.
Keep in mind that this year is a lot more hectic, because of the Covid rule that basically gives every player an extra year of eligibility.  Many of the transfers this year, like Marcus, are players that would have exhausted their eligibility after last season.  I haven't heard anything about Mike Hughes' professional status; but if he doesn't get a Euro contract, he could play for Duquesne again, or transfer to the school of his choice for one year.  

5/17/2021 12:46 pm  #23

Styles1229 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Yeah, everything is speculation when it comes to exactly how the coach handles a player and the reasons for his transfer.  We just don't get any anecdotal info in those matters  I'm a KD guy - sincerely.  I've said before, though others disagree, his in-game management is impressive.  Under Ferry, I was would get so frustrated watching the other team neutralize our guards in the last 5-8 minutes of games and storm back to beat us.  Now, whether ahead or down, I'm confident KD can lead us to the win.  When we lose, it's more about execution than plan. 

I'm not sure KD has earned the benefit of the doubt though when it comes to managing the higher-end talent.  At least as the Dukes' coach.  Harris hasn't left yet so I cannot fault him for anything there but Harris was a highly touted recruit, at least by Duquesne standards, and if he leaves now, especially at this date, I think it will have to be because he is not satisfied with his treatment.  Again, maybe it's good riddance - but I'd love to see a guy who is not your typical "team guy" "hard worker" "good head on his shoulders" and all the other platitudes to describe an "easy to coach" player choose to stay at Duquesne if he can be a difference-maker.  It's a coaching skill important in these times.  KD hasn't shown me THAT yet.  

This very well stated & a fair assessment of the subject matter.

5/17/2021 2:28 pm  #24

I would, in fact, like to see more retention of those players who are considered top picks. Harris is certainly one of then IMO and would hate to see him leave. I really don't have much of a problem with Baker's departure even though it's a shame that he didn't work out. Again, I do not know what the dynamic may be between the coach and certain players so it's very difficult to make a value judgement here.

5/17/2021 4:15 pm  #25

I don't think there is much mystery of why most players left.  The recent PSN article made it clear that several players were shown the door.  Specifically this quote:  " With the exception of maybe one or two guys on that list, a good amount of Duquesne’s departures were due to off-the-court issues. While those specific reasons remain undisclosed, Dambrot felt as though he needed a fresh start with the program."

Now we can only speculate what those "off court issues" were,  but for those who have paid close attention I think many have a pretty good idea.  I guess one could say it's still Dambrot's fault because he should have known more about the character of the players he was recruiting.  Maybe.  I think KD recognizes that because he made it clear he was  looking at character in his comments about vetting his new recruits beyond their ability to play basketball.  The new rules and the abundance of players in the portal (over 1,600)  gave Dambrot the ability to fix the problem immediately.  The real question now is did he recruit well enough. The bottom line is KD needs to win and get DU to a post season tournament in the next two years.  I can't even imagine this board if he has a losing season next season.  

By the way, I still think one more player will be leaving to get us to scholarship.  We don't all need to restate or relive this thread.  Just reference it.

Board footera