Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2021 10:50 am  #1

2 teams of Dukes

The A squad vs the B squad.

I see these 2 teams having some epic battles in practice as precious playing time will be on the line and the guys will be hungry to be the starter.  They understand no spot in the starting lineup on this team is guaranteed.

A Squad:
1. Primo Spears
2. Tyson Acuff
3. Toby Okani
4. Kevin Esley Jr
5.Tre Williams

B Squad
1. Jackie Johnson
2. Leon Ayers III
3. Maceo Austin
4. Rodney Gunn Jr.
5. Austin Rotroff

Hima is the wildcard I hope comes up an Ace

6/11/2021 12:43 pm  #2

Re: 2 teams of Dukes

There was a coach at Uniontown  HS names Abe Everhart, Jr.  He employed a full court press and had two teams.  The first team pressed hard and built up a lead, then the second team came in and finished the job by exhausting the opponent.  The second team was the "wrecking crew".  He had the athletes to employ this defense.  Maybe it can be tried by Duquesne.

6/11/2021 12:59 pm  #3

Bilgy wrote:

There was a coach at Uniontown  HS names Abe Everhart, Jr.  He employed a full court press and had two teams.  The first team pressed hard and built up a lead, then the second team came in and finished the job by exhausting the opponent.  The second team was the "wrecking crew".  He had the athletes to employ this defense.  Maybe it can be tried by Duquesne.

I love that.  I remember Everhart early on employing a similar rotation without the press.  Sub 5 guys at one time.  This Dukes team seemingly has no player that needs to be on the floor at all times assuming both Johnson and Spears prove equal in their PG abilities..  I see the biggest drop-off being at the 5 spot though.  fun to speculate.  that strategy does build healthy competitiveness within the team that ultimately makes them better as long as the coach(s) nurture it correctly.

6/11/2021 2:58 pm  #4

6/11/2021 3:16 pm  #5

RE lost players because of a shooting on campus.
He saw he had mostly SFs and Gs and decided
to play a run and gun style.  5 players go all out
run hard and shoot then sub in 5 more and they
run hard and shoot
it worked for a while until the other coaches figured it out

6/11/2021 6:54 pm  #6

Bilgy wrote:

I remember Abe Everhart very well and that '64 team. In particular a game at Uniontown against visiting McKeesport featuring Bill Reilly, a great shooter who played for Duquesne the next year. Uniontown jumped off to their usual lead with their panic press when Reilly and Les Robertson started to find their shot. Reilly drove the lane and was muscled into the wall under the basket by Pat Yates and broke his arm. End of season for Reilly and McKeesport won 18 games instead of whatever they would have won with him. Bill was averaging around 25 per game when he was lost to the team. As you can tell I've never quite got that game and Pat Yates out of my craw! Oh well!  GO DUKES!!

6/12/2021 9:06 pm  #7

Bilgy wrote:

Hmmm his nephew was Ron Everhart. Remember him. Quinipiac Clown & Dr Chuck fired him. In comes Jim Ferry. Out goes 5 million Dr. Evil. 10 40 under Ron worked pretty well with a bunch of walk ons. How soon you forget the past. Not being critical for your comments Bigly but these two clowns is a sore spot. 

Board footera