Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2021 2:37 pm  #1

Conference realignment NCAA

With the coming end of Mark Emmett & the NCAA change is in the wind. Call  me crazy but with the new arena as well as the Pittsburgh TV market could not the Big East expand additional Catholic schools? Yes Fox Sports gave the current  Big East members a sweetheart deal BUT based upon the power 5 renegotiating TV contracts the Big East may need to expand its market. Most of the Big East programs have no football program. But thanks to the President & AD Duquesne maybe a viable option for an ALL CATHOLIC conference minus Butler.  Since Texas A&M did not object to Texas joining the SEC why not Dayton, Gonzaga, or Duquesne.

8/23/2021 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Conference realignment NCAA

I agree Ironduke81, the next couple of years will be wild.  When Dambrot was hired I hoped that he would reposition the Dukes into a respectable program (in an attractive media market} so that DU might be in a position to get a look from the Big East.   While he has made some strides towards getting DU to the top of the League, Covid and other factors has undermined that process.  I have said this before, this coming season is critical for Dambrot and DU and his/our goal of winning a championship and making the post season.  He has to finish in the top 4 or 5 of the League to be in a position to compete for the crown the following year with just about everyone returning.  If he craps the bed and finishes near the bottom of the League as most will project t's all over. 

8/23/2021 4:51 pm  #3

CLK, my friend, you're so negative at times. But I love your passion! Dambrot & Co. are poised and armed with a team capable of mixing it up with anyone. At least, that's the way I see it. I think this group of "unknowns" will fast become introduced to the league and beyond ... IF covid doesn't rear its ugly head. Fingers crossed. Ironhead, you come up with some doozies, I'll say. But the Big East has a nice ring. Just think, Duquesne at Seton Hall, Georgetown at Duquesne, Villanova at Duquesne, Duquesne at Creighton, UConn at Duquesne ... and of course, the ever familiar Xavier at Duquesne!

8/24/2021 9:23 am  #4

I don’t see any of that happening this season. .  There are several teams in the A-10 that are proven winners; and return all important pieces.  To expect Duquesne’s group of newcomers to suddenly compete or overtake the top of the A-10 isn’t practical.
Long-term it would take multiple A-10 Championships and a strong fan base for the BE to even notice Duquesne! Wake me when that happens. I trust I’ll have a big snooze!

Last edited by levon1975 (8/24/2021 8:50 pm)

8/24/2021 11:41 am  #5

Crosseye wrote:

CLK, my friend, you're so negative at times. But I love your passion! Dambrot & Co. are poised and armed with a team capable of mixing it up with anyone. At least, that's the way I see it. I think this group of "unknowns" will fast become introduced to the league and beyond ... IF covid doesn't rear its ugly head. Fingers crossed. Ironhead, you come up with some doozies, I'll say. But the Big East has a nice ring. Just think, Duquesne at Seton Hall, Georgetown at Duquesne, Villanova at Duquesne, Duquesne at Creighton, UConn at Duquesne ... and of course, the ever familiar Xavier at Duquesne!

I don't see anything negative in CLK's post. What he wrote is sadly practical but not negative. If the Dukes finish below 8 or  9 this year & don't bring back the vast majority of the roster, the Dambrot era is nearly over. COVID & arena improvement delays be damned; 5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program into an annual lock as a top 5 finisher in the A-10 for a coach with KD's resume. Follow that up with falling flat in year 6 is likely to force a change.

The good news is that there is still plenty of opportunity for a much more positive outcome. KD & the program at large are in significantly better shape than Ferry was at this stage. Even so, taking a big step back this season & having to rebuild the roster yet again next spring would be courting disaster.

As for getting an invite from a better conference, that simply isn't going to happen any time in the foreseeable future. While the basketball world may have some admiration for the progress KD & the AD have made, DU is still viewed as lacking in program quality & institutional support. Likewise, Pittsburgh really isn't exactly a premium media market for college basketball.

8/24/2021 1:33 pm  #6

DUQ needs to hope the A10 stays together, its the best we're gonna get for now.   If it crumbles we're looking at the NEC or Patriot conference.

8/24/2021 2:19 pm  #7

Crosseye, I thought I was just stating the obvious, not being negative.  I believe Dambrot when he told us that this year he has assembled his best team at Duquesne.  After a complete rebuild, if his best team at DU finishes at the bottom of the League it would be highly improbable, if not impossible, that in his final two years he would would win an A10 title. Thus this year is critical for Coach Dambrot and his stated goal of winning a championship. 

I happen to believe there is enough talent this year to be very competitive, and finish in the top 5 or 6, and who knows from there.  I believe a lot of people will be shocked at how good this team will be.  Bottom line, however, is that the coaches and publications will probably pick the Dukes to finish near the bottom of the A10 because all they see is one returning starter.  It is up to Dambrot to prove them wrong.

8/24/2021 2:21 pm  #8

If the A10 crumbles
Mass goes to the MAC they have FBS football
Rhode goes to the CAA they gave FCS football
GW Rich GMU VCU and David are split up between the Big South CAA
DU joins with Ford, Day, SBU, STU, LAS SJU and Iona and Siena
to form the new Eastern Seaboard Athletic Conference-ESAC
DU plays each team twice  8 and 9 seeded teams play to join the
other 7 teams
Not great but better than the NEC or Patriot

8/25/2021 4:37 pm  #9

Crosseye wrote:

Crosseye I like the way you think. Yes everybody can point out the obvious 40 years & counting without an NCAA appearance. This many makes a bid into the Big East an impossibility according to the majority of Duquesne fans. But think about this. Go back four years. Would any Duquesne alumni every dream of a medical school? How about the Football program playing TCU, WVU & Florida State. Not in my lifetime, wrong!!!! How about the state of the art basketball arena in the A10 (The Cooper Center.) Just look at the progress thanks to the current President & AD. Looking at the current Big East schools how many have a Medical School? Physicians Assistant School? Pharmacy & Law. Finally, TV markets matter. Final point if as Crosseye believes Dambrot WILL bring the Dukes to the promised land the next 5 years can indeed have Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St John’s on their schedule. This is not so crazy of a scenario based upon the end of the NCAA. TV conference contracts will dictate change. Follow the money. 

Board footera