Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2021 4:43 pm  #1

Game Thread - Hofstra Pride

7:00pm EST tip on Saturday 11/13/2021 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #174 (1-0) vs Hofstra Pride #157 (0-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 3, 71-68 - Dukes with 58% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 2½ point favorites; Over/Under 141
Duquesne 1-0 Against the Spread: Hofstra 1-0 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Rider (248)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): N/A
Hofstra Best Win(s): N/A
Hofstra Worst Loss(es): Houston (15)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Hofstra for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (65); Turnover % (76)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (278)
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (23)
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: FT Rate (41)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Hofstra Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.2; 118 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.9; 142 in D-1
Hofstra Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.6; 235 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 97.0; 215 in D-1
Hofstra Adj Tempo - 70.2; 233 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 69.8; 264 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Hofstra 2.23 yrs; 84 in D-1; Dukes 0.84 yrs; 277 in D-1
Average Height - Hofstra 76.1"; 251 in D-1; Dukes 77.5"; 95 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 173rd in the country.
Hofstra is 158th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=4573&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

11/12/2021 6:28 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Hofstra Pride

Last meeting with Hofstra…. Was the season of the Dukes last NCAA appearance
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=6n9IAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Tm0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6865%2C1442166

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/12/2021 8:18 pm)

11/12/2021 7:42 pm  #3

I sure hope a lot of students show up...and that the other night wasn't a one and done.  We are going to need them to beat this team.  Go Dukes!

11/13/2021 8:35 am  #4

Media coverage todays game. Trib 1 PG 0. Not surprised about the crickets at the PG but was pleasantly surprised Dave Mackall did a pregame story today with some comments from Coach Dambrot. Looks like Mack is back👍. Second note Houston crushed Rice last night. Hofstra a formidable opponent. Also SMU played Oregon last night. Eric Williams top scorer with 19 Pts. Marcus Weathers a big 6 Pts. Maybe Coach Dambrot knew something when he cleaned house last season. Finally, watching Pitt get dominated by WVU the defense intensity by the WV players was on a scale 9 out of 10. Huggs demands defense or enjoy the bench. If Coach Dambrot could get his players to at least 50% of a Huggs coached team the Dukes have a chance to finish top half a A10. Let’s face it the A10 is a very soft league defensively. Go Dukes

11/13/2021 8:57 am  #5

Just for fun. Dukes 75 Hofstra 69 
Defense favors those teams who play it best. 
GO DUKES!!

11/13/2021 9:04 am  #6

Iron Duke - in relation to your comment on EW, Sincere Carrie was excellent last night as Kent State played Xavier.  LaMar Norman also scoring well at WM. .  I will be unpopular with this comment, but why can the coaches at Oregon and Kent State handle EW and Sincere- two starters and high scorers, and LN doing well and Dambrot couldn’t?

11/13/2021 12:08 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

Iron Duke - in relation to your comment on EW, Sincere Carrie was excellent last night as Kent State played Xavier. LaMar Norman also scoring well at WM. . I will be unpopular with this comment, but why can the coaches at Oregon and Kent State handle EW and Sincere- two starters and high scorers, and LN doing well and Dambrot couldn’t?

FAM, sorry for jumping into your conversation with Iron. Personally, I don't take your comments as unpopular. Contrary. I'd say others here feel the same way as you.
Just seemed like Carry was fine his first year here. He's played one game at Kent State. Give it time. On Norman? Western Michigan isn't the A-10. Didn't seem like Norman was a misfit, like the other two. He was a decent player. He just wasn't good enough to play in a league at this level and make the team a contender. In the MAC, he can get away with that more, right?. On EW? Oregon has been ranked the entire time he's been there. Things seem to always go better when you're winning. Oregon is a Power 5 conference team with a history of recent success. Duquesne is none of that. Apples? Oranges? Dambrot seems to be trying to change it and make Duquesne relevant again. Maybe the guys on this year's team will buy in to whatever their current coach (Dambrot) is requesting. Obviously, that wasn't the case with these other fellows, at least Carry and EW? And Baker. And Weathers. And Dunn-Martin. And ... 9-9 is .500, Dukes record last year.  Duquesne's current team is my focus.

11/13/2021 12:11 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

Iron Duke - in relation to your comment on EW, Sincere Carrie was excellent last night as Kent State played Xavier. LaMar Norman also scoring well at WM. . I will be unpopular with this comment, but why can the coaches at Oregon and Kent State handle EW and Sincere- two starters and high scorers, and LN doing well and Dambrot couldn’t?

Agreed.  I'm a KD guy but this is the trend that scares me and why I mentioned the Easley benching in my other post.  KD needs to manage the talented players' comfort level better.  With Sin and Lamar it was not playing time (it must have been something else) but he would bench/not start EW regularly.  What if Chad Baker turns into a great teammate and star at SDSU?  the trend will have continued.  KD said all the right things in the off season about how he is changing the way he coaches so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.  If Easley gets benched again tonight it will be a red flag for me though.  

I wish Lamar well but he was given a lot of PT and never looked the part of a great player - just good.  I will never forget his lay-up in the closing seconds at VCU a few years back to send it to OT though.  The Dukes won that one eventually and I made the trip to Richmond from Pittsburgh to see it.  Nothing but love for Lamar from this poster.  Hope it finishes the string at WM in great form

11/13/2021 12:16 pm  #9

Oops, I left his part out... Carry played 38 minutes last night in his Kent debut. Shot 6 for 15 (3 for 8 in 3s). 3 Reb. 4 ast.4 TO 18 points. Seems pretty typical of a Sincere Carry night in a 73-59 loss. He did that similarly here quite a bit, too. Wonder what the Kent fanbase thinks about that 14-point loss with SC running the offense? They almost scored 60!

11/13/2021 1:12 pm  #10

FAM wrote:

Small sample size but....
Carry's stats looked similar to what he was putting up here the last couple of years - 6 for 15 from the field; 4 assists and 4 turnovers in a 14 point loss. Too soon to tell if he can get back to what he accomplished as a freshman, but I don't miss him and his piss poor attitude (especially from what have seen so far from Spears, Acuff and Johnson). 
Chad Baker - only played 7 minutes last night in BYU's win over SDSU (10 players had more minutes); still had no qualms about shooting - got off 5 shots in 7 minutes. Good riddance!
Eric Williams - a high level talent, who simply wanted to play on a bigger stage. He has adapted extremely well from being the most talented player on the Dukes team to understanding his role as part of a talented team in Dana Altman's system.  Another nice game for him last night vs. SMU.
Lamar Norman - 5 points on 2 for 11 shooting vs. Michigan yesterday.  Was given every opportunity to shine with the Dukes; never stepped up to be a competent upper tier A-10 starter and wasn't going to get the Dukes where they want to be.  Seemed to be a good young man and teammate; perhaps moving down a notch and getting back to Michigan will help his game.

I see very little where you can point the finger on Dambrot in handling players. I believe that Dambrot is open for significant criticism for bringing in way too many players who simply were not talented enough to be above average A10 players.

11/13/2021 2:16 pm  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Carry's stats looked similar to what he was putting up here the last couple of years - 6 for 15 from the field; 4 assists and 4 turnovers in a 14 point loss. Too soon to tell if he can get back to what he accomplished as a freshman, but I don't miss him and his piss poor attitude (especially from what have seen so far from Spears, Acuff and Johnson). 
Chad Baker - only played 7 minutes last night in BYU's win over SDSU (10 players had more minutes); still had no qualms about shooting - got off 5 shots in 7 minutes. Good riddance!
Eric Williams - a high level talent, who simply wanted to play on a bigger stage. He has adapted extremely well from being the most talented player on the Dukes team to understanding his role as part of a talented team in Dana Altman's system.  Another nice game for him last night vs. SMU.
Lamar Norman - 5 points on 2 for 11 shooting vs. Michigan yesterday.  Was given every opportunity to shine with the Dukes; never stepped up to be a competent upper tier A-10 starter and wasn't going to get the Dukes where they want to be.  Seemed to be a good young man and teammate; perhaps moving down a notch and getting back to Michigan will help his game.

I see very little where you can point the finger on Dambrot in handling players. I believe that Dambrot is open for significant criticism for bringing in way too many players who simply were not talented enough to be above average A10 players.

We've (me especially) beaten this narrative to death but I feel i must counter a couple of these points.

I agree with these points: 1. Small Sample size.  2.bringing in way too many players who simply were not talented enough to be above average A10 players.

I disagree that EW "simply wanted to play on a bigger stage."  Maybe.  But he was unhappy at Duquesne it seemed and was certainly in KD's doghouse.  No way to be sure he simply wanted to play on a bigger stage.  Today, if he stayed, he could possibly be the best player in the A-10 on a team competing for a championship.  Other A-10 players before him have chosen that path and were rewarded for that decision.

Sin's "piss poor attitude".  that only reared it's head last season.  Why?  He was trending to become a top PG in the A-10 before he started to regress.  Why?  we'll never know but I'm not willing to absolve KD on that point yet.

Finally, we've really seen nothing of Spears and Johnson so far - attitude or ability to play in the A-10.  We'll see how those 2 seemingly talented freshman PGs handle having to compete for coveted PT at the PG position and how they respond to KD as he navigates keeping them both happy.  I hate to say it but if history shows us anything it is that only one of them will be on the team next season or the following.  Just no room for 2 PGs the same age with talent on the Duquesne Dukes.  

11/13/2021 2:28 pm  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FAM wrote:

4 seasons & 4 mass departures of players. All 4 of the best players of KD's era,(MLewis, EW,Sin, & Weathers) all finished elsewhere. At this point, the reasons for all the turnover don't much matter.

What player has come here as a freshman, grown niticeably as a player, & blossomed into a core piece for program success?

The lack of continuity & player development in the program is my biggest knock on this coach. If the same amount of defections happen this year, KD's reputation will have been confirmed.

Last edited by phil95 (11/13/2021 2:28 pm)

11/13/2021 4:31 pm  #13

The Duke’s lack of size will keep this closer than it should be.   Dukes by 4.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/13/2021 4:56 pm  #14

I have two tickets available in section 106, row a, if anyone would like

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/13/2021 4:58 pm  #15

Like the Dukes 81-68 tonight. Expect big things from Okni and Acuff tonight. Just a feeling.

11/13/2021 7:32 pm  #16

There is a reason they almost beat Houston. I have a feeling we are gonna get smacked unless we play better defense.

11/13/2021 7:41 pm  #17

FAM wrote:

There is a reason they almost beat Houston. I have a feeling we are gonna get smacked unless we play better defense.

Some offense wouldn't hurt either. 

11/13/2021 7:51 pm  #18

Oh my, thats pathetic.   Going to watch ND football instead of this dumpster fire, check back later, maybe they will have some testicular fortitude in 2nd half.

11/13/2021 8:01 pm  #19

townsonkid wrote:

Oh my, thats pathetic.   Going to watch ND football instead of this dumpster fire, check back later, maybe they will have some testicular fortitude in 2nd half.

Great call I’m out. Watching ND. Hey did anyone notice that the camera is videoing the game from outer space. Do you think the camera person can adjust the focus. No it’s Duquesne. Very disappointed.

11/13/2021 8:20 pm  #20

I sincerely believe we have the best point guard we have seen in decades.

11/13/2021 8:25 pm  #21

It started with Bekelja's defense.

11/13/2021 11:48 pm  #22

If we shoot 33% from the 3 we win this game.

11/14/2021 12:28 am  #23

Okani off to slow start. 7 points in 2 games in 50 minutes. I'm expecting him to break out of it soon. Happy to see Rotroff on the court.

11/14/2021 9:24 am  #24

Brutal loss.  Shooting 3 of 24 three pointers.  I really believed, and still believe, that this team will be one of the best shooting teams KD has fielded at DU but last night's display was awful.  I am not going to dwell on the negative of which there were plenty from last night's play, just hoping that this game pissed of the players enough to take it out on Weber on Monday.

Box Score
Men's Basketball vs Hofstra on 11/13/2021 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

11/14/2021 9:29 am  #25

Hopefully this loss isnt as bad once Hofstra keeps playing.  They seem like a pretty good team, and Cook is definitely a stud.  It's interesting seeing some of the crazy results in College Hoops currently.  With the transfer rules causing teams to be made up of new lineups, it's a bit of a crap shoot everywhere.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera