Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2021 9:58 am  #1

Game Thread - Colorado Buffaloes

5:45pm EST tip on Saturday 11/20/2021 at the University of the Virgin Islands Sports & Fitness Center, St. Thomas. U.S. Virgin Islands
Per KenPom:
Dukes #199 (1-3) vs Colorado Buffaloes #50 (3-1)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 12, 73-61 - Dukes with 13% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 10 point underdogs; Over/Under 132½
Duquesne 1-3 Against the Spread: Colorado 2-2 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Rider (258)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (165); Hofstra (144)
Colorado Best Win(s): Montana St. (170); New Mexico (257)
Colorado Worst Loss(es): Southern Illinois (123)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Colorado for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: FT Rate (7); Offensive Rebound % (30); Effective FG % (33)
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (57)
Defensive Weakness: None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (52)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (323)
Defensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (16); Turnover % (39)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (328)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Colorado Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.1; 38 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 98.5; 149 in D-1
Colorado Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.7; 68 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 95.0; 257 in D-1
Colorado Adj Tempo - 69.1; 244 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.8; 259 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Colorado 1.41 yrs; 300 in D-1; Dukes 0.77 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - Colorado 78.4"; 27 in D-1; Dukes 77.1"; 156 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 193rd in the country.
Colorado is 48th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=99&neut=1
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

11/20/2021 10:04 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Colorado Buffaloes

Doesn't look good for today from what I have read about Colorado...

11/20/2021 1:17 pm  #3

If you run a high pick and roll, it might be nice to hit the roll once or twice.  If I was game planning against DU. I’d tell my guys to not bother guarding it.  And wha is with all this dribbling?  Good teams pass and cut.  What is Okani accomplishing way out there on the wing?  He needs to be around the paint.

11/20/2021 3:03 pm  #4

Colorado don't know what they're in for.

11/20/2021 7:52 pm  #5

If someone asked me what it's like to be a Duquesne fan I would show them this game tape.  Especially the final possesion of the 2nd half. 

Last edited by Simms (11/20/2021 7:55 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/20/2021 7:54 pm  #6

Another game - another loss.  Just stating facts.  As I said the other day...I hope we win at least one game.

Last edited by FAM (11/20/2021 7:55 pm)

11/20/2021 7:59 pm  #7

Watched another loss. Yes Colorado hit  3 to go to OT. Typical Dudley More curse. BUT WIN Duquesne needed points in OT Jackie Johnson aka micro waive on the bench. Coach get your head out of your you know what. Kudos you shorten the bench but can’t wait for RJ Gunn. His current replacement is soft and at best Div 2 player. 2 years & waiting. I was a fan but starting to wonder. This game was a win.

11/20/2021 8:01 pm  #8

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

11/20/2021 8:01 pm  #9

To send your team onto the court after a time out and a 3 point lead and then have 3 defensive players go for a block on a 2 point shot and LEAVE a 3 point shooter. What are the coaches even discussing. After the technical foul time out of the other night. We have 5 assistants what are they doing.

11/20/2021 8:05 pm  #10

ID81 KD sat Ayers who was playing one of his best games and help build the 10 point lead. He puts him back in after we lose the lead.

Last edited by The Dome (11/20/2021 8:06 pm)

11/20/2021 8:08 pm  #11

The A-10 is way down this year as are the Dukes. SMH. The talent is there, but you need a coach who can coach it.

11/20/2021 8:08 pm  #12

Why didnt they guard the 3 point land?Dont understand.

11/20/2021 8:10 pm  #13

Up 3 with 6 seconds to play:
-Why are 3 guys converging on the driving passer under the hoop instead of 1 guy handling the driving & 4 guys face guarding every other opposing player at the arc?

Up 3 with under 4 seconds to play:
Why not foul the ball handler, give up the 2 FTs, & count on your guys to either rebound any 2nd shot misses and/or be fouled 4 times before having to go to the line?

"Stupid" players or lack of preparation by the coaching staff?

This SUCKS!

11/20/2021 8:23 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

Up 3 with 6 seconds to play:
-Why are 3 guys converging on the driving passer under the hoop instead of 1 guy handling the driving & 4 guys face guarding every other opposing player at the arc?

Up 3 with under 4 seconds to play:
Why not foul the ball handler, give up the 2 FTs, & count on your guys to either rebound any 2nd shot misses and/or be fouled 4 times before having to go to the line?

"Stupid" players or lack of preparation by the coaching staff?

This SUCKS!

11/20/2021 8:25 pm  #15

I do think it's fair to question our end game strategy. Not fouling up 3 is not the correct way to play this. That loss is on the coach.

11/20/2021 8:32 pm  #16

Phil I so agree. 3 players challenged a F…… layup & leaves baseline. Yeah blame it on the players but this is on ALL the coaches. Earn your pay. Unbelievable, Coach Dambrot Coach treat your players as if the are in grade school or HS. Especially In crunch time.  Look into a mirror not good. That 3 pointer set play inexcusable. 

11/20/2021 8:35 pm  #17

The coaching at this point is beyond disgraceful. Dambrot is definitely on the hot seat. Get a young progressive assistant coach from a top level program who knows "today's players", the ebb and flow of a game, and the X's and O's of "today's game". Plenty of coaching talent out there. Stop wasting time on this guy. He's taking the Dukes NOWHERE.

11/20/2021 8:42 pm  #18

Some very good things did happen tonight:
-It was great to see Ayers have a chance to build his confidence
-I like the starting lineup with Acuff. He is every bit as good an overall defender as Bekelja while being light years better offensively. He needs lots of minutes to blossom.
-Easley & Tre are the real deal. 
-I also like the momentum Okani is building for himself. 
-There is still a decent possibility that this team is 50% better in a month than they are right now. 

On the other hand:
-If Rotroff can't make a greater contribution on the offensive end, Hima should probably get a shot at tonight's 9 minutes until the RJ Gunn situation can be evaluated. I hate writing that because I really root for Rotroff. He just hasn't been very good & the FT's are a big problem.

11/20/2021 8:42 pm  #19

Totally correct!  This one is on Dambrot and the coaching staff, another disappointing loss. It is hard not to get disgusted that we are playing Bradley tomorrow  for the bragging rights to 7th place in an 8 team tourney. Beginning to wonder if Dambrot wants to continue past this season?  I wouldn't be shocked to see him retire from coaching.

11/20/2021 8:43 pm  #20

Rayrich wrote:

The coaching at this point is beyond disgraceful. Dambrot is definitely on the hot seat. Get a young progressive assistant coach from a top level program who knows "today's players", the ebb and flow of a game, and the X's and O's of "today's game". Plenty of coaching talent out there. Stop wasting time on this guy. He's taking the Dukes NOWHERE.

Sadly I do think this is a possibility. I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined this given Dambrots trajectory here. But, here we are. What's puzzling is his comments about how this is the most talented team he has had. Is it really?  That's either coach speak or a really poor evaluation of talent.

11/20/2021 9:03 pm  #21

WEB wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Sadly I do think this is a possibility. I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined this given Dambrots trajectory here. But, here we are.

What's puzzling is his comments about how this is the most talented team he has had. Is it really?  That's either coach speak or a really poor evaluation of talent.

Of course he is going to say this is the most talented team he has had here !!! In year 5 when starting completely over at 1 million dollars a year salary, what else would he say.

Everyone knows I am not a fan of his for many reasons. I have been ridiculed and bashed. In all honesty he cost us three games this year already. Not using timeouts in the first half of the Hofstra game to stop their momentum and make proper adjustments. Plus he let Cook burn him in the NJIT game three years ago and in this game. He usage of timeouts in the Weber game just to make substitutions was borderline idiotic.  Then not guarding the three point line at the end of this Colorado game. Three gigantic mistakes all on the coach.
Everyone pointed to him winning 21 games, that was against a ridiculously easy schedule and some of you just couldn’t understand that !! This college players understand when there is lost leadership,and that is present right now at DU. Do you really think that many players that were receiving playing time would leave that quickly or during the season. There are so many red flags it is astounding.

11/20/2021 9:21 pm  #22

Please end your posts of frustration with Go Dukes to prove you are a real fan.

I just honestly know why you are all so surprised at these results.

11/20/2021 11:58 pm  #23

Fortunately, I didn't torture myself as my kids were flying back into town for the Holiday, but my man the Godfather texted me and said we were up 10 in the second half while I was at dinner and I said if they pull it off it would be an upset of epic proportion.  He then told me we went into OT on a 3 pointer by Colorado with seconds left and I just shook my head and knew a loss was coming.  When reading these posts about the total lack of preparation for those last seconds I have to say I am not surprised.  Wildwood is right. KD never called any TO's against Hofstra in the first half and should have been aware of the guard that torched us when he was at NJIT.  Then tell me how hard is it to tell the players to simply protect the 3 point line.  KD is a good guy I guess but we have clearly not gotten what we paid for.  I will say again, his staff is stale and he won't shake it up and clearly, his coaching acumen is not stellar, to put it mildly.  Dave H you need to start thinking about some fresh young up-and-coming coach or you will be seeing attendance in the hundreds again at the Coop - what a crying shame. 

11/21/2021 12:32 am  #24

I was greatly encouraged by tonight's game. Thought the defense was pretty solid minus a few hiccups. Better ball movement and better attacking the basket in the paint. Perimeter shooting more consistent too. Could have easily won this one with a big play or two late in the game. I really don't pin this loss on anyone except the Buffaloes who we played tough all night. Lets keep improving from game to game and i'll be satisfied. We do that  and the wins will come. Looking for individual growth and team cohesion. Go Dukes!

11/21/2021 12:39 am  #25

Double digit second half leads blown in 2 out of 4 games. Anyone else having Jim Ferry flashbacks?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera