Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2021 8:51 am  #1

Game Thread - Bradley Braves

1:00pm EST tip on Monday 11/22/2021 at the University of the Virgin Islands Sports & Fitness Center, St. Thomas. U.S. Virgin Islands
Per KenPom:
Dukes #199 (1-4) vs Bradley Braves #202 (1-4; 0-4 vs D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 1, 65-64 - Dukes with 50% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 1½ point favorites; Over/Under 128½
Duquesne 2-3 Against the Spread: Bradley 1-3 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Rider (263)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (152); Hofstra (145)
Bradley Best Win(s): N/A
Bradley Worst Loss(es): Howard (250); Brown (234)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Bradley for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (76)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (290); Effective FG % (274)
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: FT Rate (307)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (48)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (303); FT Rate (260)
Defensive Strength: Turnover % (65)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (277)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Bradley Adj Offense Efficiency - 96.7; 231 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.5; 158 in D-1
Bradley Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.0; 166 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 96.4; 242 in D-1
Bradley Adj Tempo - 68.0; 264 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.9; 276 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Bradley 1.64 yrs; 247 in D-1; Dukes 0.75 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - Bradley 78.2"; 36 in D-1; Dukes 77.2"; 138 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 203rd in the country.
Bradley is 237th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=165&neut=1
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/22/2021 9:08 am)

11/22/2021 9:02 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Bradley Braves

I didnt even know they were still playing down there.   199 vs 202, a classic matchup.

Go Dukes!

11/22/2021 9:41 am  #3

Yes.Yesterday, the Bonnie’s were a beast, Davidson looked good, and Rhode Island also won. Massachusetts lost but it was close. The A-10, except for Duquesne has had a positive showing in these tournaments.

11/22/2021 9:59 am  #4

SBU was down in that tourn a few times and have the will to win.   Helps having old college players who knows what it takes, and can do it.

11/22/2021 11:09 am  #5

Also helps to have an excellent coach who can recruit very good players in a place where folks still wonder how he does it.  The bottom line is he is excellent, has tradition, is an excellent recruiter, and has a proven record. 

Pratt-newest recruit. I hope he does really well here.  But did anyone see any other A-10 school on a list of recruiting him?  Is this Akron like recruiting?  Not being mean, just asking.  We mostly agree that Ferry was out of his league in the A-10.  Here is a question?. Is Dambrot out of his league also?  We still haven't made it to a tournament, are 1-4, and now folks know why we were picked where we were with Dambrot saying this is his best team since he has been here.  A "best" team is supposed to translate into wins, not HOPE.  Please understand, I am totally supportive of the program and the coach, but that doesn't mean things can't be questioned by you or me.  That is why at times I am asking folks who others say are negative to keep posting.  There is nothing wrong with passion, anger towards losing, and the therapy needed for being a long-time supporter.  So, yes, I love DU basketball but still no tournament results.  I hope that changes soon.  Two years left on his contract.

11/22/2021 12:05 pm  #6

Fam I agree. It is past the time for Dambrot to have brought the team to the NCAA s. I really like him but the criticism is deserved.

FAM wrote:

Also helps to have an excellent coach who can recruit very good players in a place where folks still wonder how he does it.  The bottom line is he is excellent, has tradition, is an excellent recruiter, and has a proven record. 

Pratt-newest recruit. I hope he does really well here.  But did anyone see any other A-10 school on a list of recruiting him?  Is this Akron like recruiting?  Not being mean, just asking.  We mostly agree that Ferry was out of his league in the A-10.  Here is a question?. Is Dambrot out of his league also?  We still haven't made it to a tournament, are 1-4, and now folks know why we were picked where we were with Dambrot saying this is his best team since he has been here.  A "best" team is supposed to translate into wins, not HOPE.  Please understand, I am totally supportive of the program and the coach, but that doesn't mean things can't be questioned by you or me.  That is why at times I am asking folks who others say are negative to keep posting.  There is nothing wrong with passion, anger towards losing, and the therapy needed for being a long-time supporter.  So, yes, I love DU basketball but still no tournament results.  I hope that changes soon.  Two years left on his contract.

11/22/2021 12:58 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

My advice to players recruits and their families is do not read this board.  Find your own motivation by believing in yourself God and your family. Go Dukes!

11/22/2021 1:18 pm  #8

Viroy…
I wasn’t trying to be mean. Also, I’ll take the NIT. Todays game vs. Bradley will say a lot about the kids and the coaching staff. It will also say a lot about How Well Dambrot recruited. But please know, I have not given up at all. We haven’t even gotten into league play. These are kids and anything can happen. I’m still hoping.

11/22/2021 1:33 pm  #9

I am at the game, behind the bench, in a quit gym. Our coach just lost his mind in an incredibly vulgar way. He may be coming unhinged.

11/22/2021 1:47 pm  #10

Watching it on ESPN for free because I have Verizon. 2 ladies n 2 guys with blue shirts on.
Go Phil
Or maybe that’s a lady in blue… hard to tell.

Last edited by FAM (11/22/2021 1:48 pm)

11/22/2021 1:51 pm  #11

A lot better ball movement and player movement. Did not like getting stuck 10-0 to start, but the kids bounced back nicely. Plus Coach used a timeout to stop Bradley’s comeback run. All improvements from what I witnessed in earlier games.

11/22/2021 3:00 pm  #12

Yay!

11/22/2021 3:01 pm  #13

Congrats on the win. Much needed.

11/22/2021 4:07 pm  #14

Glad we got the win. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/22/2021 4:39 pm  #15

Lots of positives 2 games in a row & a WIN!!

-You can really see Ayers's confidence is growing.

-I counted 38 DU fans around the building. Primo & Tre's loved ones showed well. None were students. I heard the team is here until Wednesday evening & have to stay in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving.

-Bradley had 90-100 fans.

-When it got close, toward the end, KD was quite calm & was preaching confidence.

-Did anybody catch why Okani played so little? There was no info available here.

-JJ seemed dejected by lack of playing time.

-The bench engagement was truly outstanding.

-Somebody needs to tell Noah Buono to shut his mouth. He was very vulgar, unsportsmanlike, & an embarrasment to the university.

11/22/2021 4:52 pm  #16

A good win and happy for the players.Dukes looked much better last 2 games.Team starting to take shape,still some droughts but they worked through them and got a much needed win and confidence.

11/22/2021 7:04 pm  #17

phil95 wrote:

I am at the game, behind the bench, in a quit gym. Our coach just lost his mind in an incredibly vulgar way. He may be coming unhinged.

Coaches are allowed to curse. Lighten up.
Try sitting behind the Duke bench and listen to Saint Mike.
You'd have a heart attack.

11/22/2021 7:57 pm  #18

Let this be the start of a streak. It's time to start knocking of these teams from lesser conferences on our home court. 

11/22/2021 8:43 pm  #19

Saul's A Team wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I am well aware of of classic "coach speak", I saw the same Coach K video you did + plus have seen that show live, & am a skilled vulgarian in my own right.

I played for several, hard-nosed bastard coaches & have worked in professional kitchens for more than 40 years. I know what an avalanche of out of control screaming looks like.

I have NEVER seen a coach scream at his players like that; not even in practice. Not Bobby Knight; not anyone. He silenced his own meagre fan base with it & shocked his coaches.

In 2021, coaches get fired for public displays of this kind.

P.S. Don't tell me to lighten up.

Last edited by CLK (11/23/2021 7:55 am)

11/22/2021 9:16 pm  #20

Saul's A Team wrote:

phil95 wrote:

One of my favorite memories that I have told on here before was seeing the Dukes play Rice in a facility 30 miles west of Houston on a Saturday night in November. There weren't 100 people in the place counting the players.  We were three rows behind the Dukes bench At one point Ron Everhart looked up at us and said "They're playing defense like a bunch of pu**ies." 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/22/2021 10:25 pm  #21

A83 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Saul's A Team wrote:

I am well aware of of classic "coach speak", I saw the same Coach K video you did + plus have seen that show live, & am a skilled vulgarian in my own right.

I played for several, hard-nosed bastard coaches & have worked in professional kitchens for more than 40 years. I know what an avalanche of out of control screaming looks like.

I have NEVER seen a coach scream at his players like that; not even in practice. Not Bobby Knight; not anyone. He silenced his own meagre fan base with it & shocked his coaches.

In 2021, coaches get fired for public displays of this kind.

P.S. Don't tell me to lighten up.

Really didn’t need to know the gory details. I think you made your point without repeating them. I would have been offended as well if I heard the second remark.

So let me get this straight: You've never heard of a coach talking to his players like that before? With all the Coach K's and Coach Cal's and John Woodens and Bobby Knights and all the thousands and thousands of maniacal coaches out there through the years, Keith Dambrot exhibited the worst tirade in the history of coaches? Maybe the empty gym was a bad place to let fly that sort of language, but it's his team and I'd bet the guy was not having a five-game losing streak. I agree. Grab the "freaking" rebound!
And, please, lighten up.

Last edited by CLK (11/23/2021 7:56 am)

11/23/2021 5:49 am  #22

My goodness, all that Phil95 reported was that, coach blew up, and used extremely vulgar language in a quite gym. He didn’t say fire him, he didn’t say, that’s why all the players have left the program. Just made a statement.

Crosseye for your information, John Wooden did not use profanity.

We get warnings about negative comments, so please don’t let the perspective recruits and parents read the board but coach talking in that manner is OK ?

Tell you one thing any coach ever called me a xxxxxxxx, I would probably get into it and elect to never play for him again.

Last edited by CLK (11/23/2021 7:58 am)

11/23/2021 7:09 am  #23

You would think the parents in the stands would have something to say about that.

11/23/2021 7:16 am  #24

I  assume the yelling happened at the Bradley game.
 KD may have deliberately
used that language to wake up his team.
Down 10-0 and in a 4 game losing streak, KD decided 
to shock his team into more effort.
It worked. They won.

11/23/2021 8:14 am  #25

Oh brother! 

Board footera