Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2021 8:24 pm  #26

Re: Kareem Rozier Commits To Duquesne

phil95 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

I do agree that both Primo and JJ should be held to the same standard but it's obvious to me that Primo is quite a bit ahead of JJ in his development and understanding of the role of the PG. I have more trust in Primo at this moment to run the team albeit a bad game against BG. Primo and JJ, in my mind, are both super talented and we are most fortunate to have both. Didn't mean to start any argument over who should get more PT. Probably the one who looks better in a given game. Would love to see both in there together at some point. Probably the 2 most talented guards on the team.

Based on outcomes, Primo should be getting the lion's share of the minutes; especially as the PG. He is going to need all the experience he can get because the competition is going to improve & he is going to be high on other teams' scouting reports. I do advocate for more time for JJ but not necessarily as a PG.

An Acuff/JJ backcourt with Tyson as the lead ballhandler might be something to look at. There just has to be more movement, cutting, & better screening in the offense to make this viable.

No movement in this offense. Bunch of one on one crap. Better to let these guys run up and down the court if you don't have any movement in half court sets.

12/06/2021 8:49 am  #27

Another 5-9 guard. Ho hum. Prediction: He won't be Calvin Murphy. Question: Why were Toledo and Mississippi Valley State the only schools other than Duquesne after him? Another question: Why was Duquesne.
I'm really getting tired of this short-ball stuff.

12/14/2021 9:01 am  #28

12/14/2021 9:06 am  #29

Does that make potentially 6 point guards for next year?   Nearly half the roster.   

LA Pratt is averaging 24 ppg in their first 2 games.   Both were wins.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/14/2021 9:14 am)

12/14/2021 11:22 am  #30

Kneeguy man am I with you!!!  I simply don't get it, do we not need a big - especially if Hima apparently is glued to the bench????  Kareem seems like a great kid, but I also do not think he is even 5'9", look at the picture with him and KD......just sayin.

12/14/2021 11:54 am  #31

i am excited about Pratt's recruitment. Could end up at 6-6 or taller and seems quite athletic, and can shoot the rock. Just the opposite are my feelings on Kareem. Probably about as tall as KD. He would have to be a better player than TDM for me to get too excited on this one. Time will tell. We need a 6-10 talented big however he gets here, thru the portal or out of high school or prep school. How many project bigs have worked out here in recent years. Not too many. Rotroff is by far the best of the lot. Let's go Dukes and get it done!

12/16/2021 11:19 am  #32

Full Game Video From Last Week.  Maybe this video will change some minds.

12/17/2021 5:35 am  #33

Watched a lot of the video. Thanks CLK. My take away is that KR is an amazing passer with a high basketball IQ. Great court awareness. Definite leader on the floor. Again didn't have the opportunity to watch it all, maybe 3 quarters. Can't speak to anything else until I watch the complete game.

12/17/2021 9:51 am  #34

What is the old saying?  It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.  

Kareem Rozier is Mr. Reliable for St. Mary’s basketball in 60-51 win over Clarkston - mlive.com

12/17/2021 11:38 am  #35

As always, thanks to CLK for keeping us all well informed. Thanks so much for the posts.

I was not very impressed with Rozier's play. He has talent & spark for sure. He just doesn’t strike me as a great recruit given the current roster construction & transfer portal opportunities that are likely to be available.

If you are a MAC program in need of depth at PG, Kareem is a great get. At DU, at this time, this "signing" still makes no sense to me.

12/17/2021 12:48 pm  #36

There are a lot of people who do scouting for a living that are really high on this kid.  However, who knows what a great recruit is for this team?  If history has taught us anything it is that regrettably there are going to be at least 4 or more kids leaving the program.  I struggle to understand Dambrot's recruiting and handling of his players among other things.  However, I think this kid has a special ability to make everyone around him better.  Assuming he actually does sign with DU in the spring I will welcome him.  

12/21/2021 3:40 pm  #37

CLK, I hope you are wrong, because I think this group could be pretty good if they can keep it together another year and add some size to the frontcourt.  You may already have some information on potential player movement that I don't;  but it would be very disappointing to see this group have significant defections at the end of the season. .  

12/21/2021 4:24 pm  #38

Agree with keeping all of these players. It won't be easy because they all want to start and the numbers say otherwise. Let's hope that they all get enough PT to keep them happy enough to come back next season.

12/23/2021 4:13 pm  #39

Thinking a bit more about Rozier, he could be the best pure PG that we have on the roster next season. Definite pass first type.  Biggest issue would be his size in my book. Maybe his court awareness and passing ability could offset what I would perceive as at least a 4 to 5 inch height disadvantage. Keep in mind that there is a definite lack of assists on this year's team to date.

3/04/2022 7:21 pm  #40

Rozier is one of the 5 Finalists for Mr. Basketball in Michigan.
He has an unbelievable 8 to 1.5  Assist to turnover ratio 

Michigan Mr. Basketball 2022: Meet the finalists (freep.com)

Kareem RozierOrchard Lake St. Mary’s, 5-8 College: Duquesne.Averages: 14.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, eight assists.Biggest area of improvement: Perimeter shooting.Best move: Users a crossover to get by a defender for a jumpshot or a drive to the basket.Favorite Athlete: Chris Paul.Top opponent: Jalen Terry (Flint Beecher).Favorite book: “Michael Jordan: The Life” by Roland Lazenby.When my basketball career is finished I will: “Be a college basketball coach.”Overview: Point guards with a 2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio are good. A 3-to-1 ratio is elite-level. Magic Johnson’s ratio was 3.9-to-1. iRozer’s? An amazing 8-to-1.5. It is almost impossible to stay in front of him when he has the ball. His improved strength has enabled him to effectively finish his drives to the basket.

3/04/2022 7:53 pm  #41

If he comes and turns out to be good he'd probably be a fan favorite.

3/04/2022 7:55 pm  #42

Thanks for the update CLK.

Have you seen any other offers for him?

3/31/2022 8:41 am  #43

Kareem came in third for the Mr. Basketball Title

3/31/2022 2:35 pm  #44

The Dukes need players at least a foot taller. Yes, a good PG is necessary, but they are going nowhere at this size.

3/31/2022 4:13 pm  #45

yes it is better to have larger players but 3 A10 pg's that are less then six feet that worked well are Jacob Gilyard of Richmond. and 2 bona guys Tim Winn and Marques Green

3/31/2022 5:25 pm  #46

Is there an article to read on Gunn leaving?

3/31/2022 5:31 pm  #47

No disrespect to Kareem Rozier.  He would be a great guard in the MAC.  But, in the A10 he is going to go against taller players.  Watch his defense from the YouTube link below.  He can forget driving to the basket in the A10.  His passing would be helpful, but at 5'9", he needs to play better defense or we're in for another long season.  I would have been more encouraged if we got someone like John Blackwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YQcMrVf41g

3/31/2022 6:26 pm  #48

FAM wrote:

Is there an article to read on Gunn leaving?

Did I miss something? Is Gunn gone?

3/31/2022 8:45 pm  #49

Didn't CLK say Larson and Gunn are gone???

4/01/2022 6:53 am  #50

Wasn't CLK's comment about Larsen and Gunn leaving posted back in November before we knew that Gunn would sit out the season? That's the only thing that I've seen here.

Board footera