Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



11/27/2021 2:13 pm  #1


Game Thread - American Eagles

2:00pm EST tip on Sunday 11/28/2021 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #192 (2-4) vs American Eagles #307 (2-4)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 9, 71-62 - Dukes with 81% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 10 point favorites; Over/Under 135
Duquesne 3-3 Against the Spread: American 2-4 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (197); Rider (268)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (165); Hofstra (138)
American Best Win(s): Marist (265); William & Mary (315)
American Worst Loss(es): Western Carolina (290); UMBC (205)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at American for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: None
Offensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (320); FT Rate (301)
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (345)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (28)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (286)
Defensive Strength: Turnover % (70)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (262)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
American Adj Offense Efficiency - 93.6; 303 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.3; 170 in D-1
American Adj Defense Efficiency - 105.9; 298 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 97.7; 222 in D-1
American Adj Tempo - 68.5; 189 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.6; 241 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - American 1.77 yrs; 216 in D-1; Dukes 0.77 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - American 77.1"; 149 in D-1; Dukes 77.1"; 150 in D-1


Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 197th in the country.
American is 331st in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=111&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/28/2021 9:09 am)

 

11/27/2021 2:46 pm  #2


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

I consider this a must-win game in that the positive momentum & incremental improvements MUST continue.

It is not imperative to win by 25 but, demonstrating the ability to control an inferior opponent for the majority of the game is. Coming out flat, playing down to the competition, & grinding out a 4 point win would be upsetting to me.

 

11/27/2021 2:56 pm  #3


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

phil95 wrote:

I consider this a must-win game in that the positive momentum & incremental improvements MUST continue.

It is not imperative to win by 25 but, demonstrating the ability to control an inferior opponent for the majority of the game is. Coming out flat, playing down to the competition, & grinding out a 4 point win would be upsetting to me.

Phil I strongly disagree. I’m betting the Dukes & giving the points.😊

 

11/27/2021 4:12 pm  #4


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I consider this a must-win game in that the positive momentum & incremental improvements MUST continue.

It is not imperative to win by 25 but, demonstrating the ability to control an inferior opponent for the majority of the game is. Coming out flat, playing down to the competition, & grinding out a 4 point win would be upsetting to me.

Phil I strongly disagree. I’m betting the Dukes & giving the points.😊

Bold move. Duquesne basketball loves to frustrate fans & bettors in equal measure.

 

11/27/2021 5:48 pm  #5


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

I don't know if we are in a place to hope to win by so many points.  A win by one point is fine to me!

 

11/27/2021 7:27 pm  #6


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Going to go even though the Steelers are playing. I think if he can blend these ingredients we might have a nice team. This is a test of Dambrot s coaching skills

 

11/28/2021 12:01 pm  #7


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

phil95 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I consider this a must-win game in that the positive momentum & incremental improvements MUST continue.

It is not imperative to win by 25 but, demonstrating the ability to control an inferior opponent for the majority of the game is. Coming out flat, playing down to the competition, & grinding out a 4 point win would be upsetting to me.

Phil I strongly disagree. I’m betting the Dukes & giving the points.😊

Bold move. Duquesne basketball loves to frustrate fans & bettors in equal measure.

Phil on second thought your right. 9.5 big mountain to climb if Dambrot is going to play the entire bench. Let’s face some players are not cut for an A10 roster. If Dambrot shortens his bench the Dukes should cover. I as you just hope  for a W. Thanks for saving me some betting $$$ today. 👍

 

11/28/2021 2:57 pm  #8


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Nice three at the end of the first half to reclaim the lead after being down 7-8 for most of the half.


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

11/28/2021 3:54 pm  #9


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Phil I strongly disagree. I’m betting the Dukes & giving the points.😊

Bold move. Duquesne basketball loves to frustrate fans & bettors in equal measure.

Phil on second thought your right. 9.5 big mountain to climb if Dambrot is going to play the entire bench. Let’s face some players are not cut for an A10 roster. If Dambrot shortens his bench the Dukes should cover. I as you just hope for a W. Thanks for saving me some betting $$$ today. 👍

''

81,
I hope you held up your bet, as losing by 1/2 point would have been a tough one.

 

11/28/2021 4:00 pm  #10


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

A win is a win. Let a bad team hang around with us too long. Good teams crush bad teams. As they say "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". American U was definitely outworking us at different points in the game. Let them shoot a lot of wide open 3s which helped them stay in it. 

I like the rotation of players, not sure why Okani isn't driving and cramming it more often. Good to see the players that will win us games take up all of the playing time. Hope to see more of jackie johnson, just needs some development for his style of play. 

We excel at fast paced offense. Slow-pace half court offense is not our thing. Coach oughta tell the players that as long as they stay in control, keep a fast tempo. 

 

11/28/2021 4:04 pm  #11


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Much better second half. Team is still searching for their identity. Still trying to get to know one another. Little by little seeing more cohesiveness.  Will take the entire OOC schedule I bet. Then we may see something special. Rotroff looked good today. Really do need to defend the 3 better. Everybody shoots lights out against us from long range it seems! That said...GO DUKES!

 

11/28/2021 4:14 pm  #12


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

The foul shooting was excellent.
Won the game.
Team still a work in progress as seen
in the assist-field goal ratio.. Too much 
individual play rather than passing but
can't complain because of a very good shooting percentage.

 

11/28/2021 4:37 pm  #13


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Econ69 made a point that I meant to post. Too much one on one play with too few assists. This should improve as players gain more familiarity with one another. Any win is a good win especially when you stand at 2-4.

 

11/28/2021 5:15 pm  #14


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

-I am starting to believe are 4-5 legit, reasonably efficient scorers on thus team.
-This performance should help Rotroff's confidence.
-The defense was very average against a team that stuck to its offense & ran it reasonably well. The highest defensive energy has to a be full-time thing
-An occassional play for Acuff to shoot spot up 3s seems in order.

 

11/28/2021 5:20 pm  #15


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

First. half was bad - Second half was good.
Go Dukes!

 

11/28/2021 5:51 pm  #16


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

FAM wrote:

First. half was bad - Second half was good.
Go Dukes!

Good transition baskets, good defense, AU was way more in foul trouble than the Dukes.  Faster pace and I think this young team seems to be playing better together.

 

11/28/2021 6:15 pm  #17


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

applecorps wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:


Bold move. Duquesne basketball loves to frustrate fans & bettors in equal measure.

Phil on second thought your right. 9.5 big mountain to climb if Dambrot is going to play the entire bench. Let’s face some players are not cut for an A10 roster. If Dambrot shortens his bench the Dukes should cover. I as you just hope for a W. Thanks for saving me some betting $$$ today. 👍

''

81,
I hope you held up your bet, as losing by 1/2 point would have been a tough one.

I held my bet thanks to Phil95. But I am thinking there exists an alternative universe in which the game was played. Then Vegas sets this betting line with no familiarity in regard to conference play. Moreover, what 5 games into the season. Yet .5 determined the betting outcome. I do believe in the Matrix. From this point I will bet against the Steelers. Safe bet😜

 

11/28/2021 7:31 pm  #18


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Well, the offense was much better in the second half; ran some motion that created some easy shots for for guys; some were missed which kept American in the game.

Defense still needs a lot of work, got beat too often on some simple pick and rolls, dribble-drives and back door cuts. The bright spots on defense were the steals by Acuff and Spears that gave the Dukes some breathing room. Spears rotated nicely on a pick and roll for a steal and Acuff jumped the passing lanes a few times.

Spears was the spark in this game and really turned the game to Duquesne. Ayers had a nice game on offense and on the boards.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/29/2021 7:59 am)

 

11/29/2021 12:38 am  #19


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Don't forget that we really haven't seen R.G. Gunn in action yet. He could make a difference if he proves to be on the same level as Ayers, Easley, Williams, etc. The arrow definitely pointing up.
 

Last edited by El Presidente (11/29/2021 12:39 am)

 

11/29/2021 8:10 am  #20


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

Hopefully Gunn can fit into the rotation at the 4-5 spot.  I saw him only very briefly in one game and I guess they realized he wasn't ready to play due to injury, so they pulled the plug again.  Williams showed some flashes again, but somewhat inconsistent, maybe he needs someone to push him for playing time.  
The next three games are no picnic and if the defense doesn't improve, we are looking at three losses. Based on the personnel on this team (Okani, Ayers, Easley, Spears,Williams)  it could, and should eventually be a good defensive team, but they are still in the classroom learning the intricacies of  the Dambrot defense; so they need to get up to speed quickly. All three teams are rated higher than the Dukes and Marshall is a notoriously tough place to win.  DePaul will have talent being in Chicago and a Big East team; so B-G at home is kind of a must win to avoid a potential 3-game slide.  I'm hoping they can surprise one or more of these teams and keep gaining momentum.  

Last edited by levon1975 (11/29/2021 8:16 am)

 

11/29/2021 8:52 am  #21


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

You know its bad when the Dukes were a pleasure to watch cause the steelers put in zero effort at Cincy.   Tipoff was a perfect time, cause the Steelers had just given up the INT for TD to Bengals, so the decision to switch over was easy.  
Dukes need to defend better, esp those 3s.   Can let hot hands stay hot.   
Was nice to see the offense get rolling a bit more.   And the FTs down the stretch were nice to see.   Ayers and Spears can be nice weapons in the last minute of close games.
Go Dukes!   See yinz Wednesday
 

 

11/29/2021 11:09 am  #22


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

townsonkid wrote:

You know its bad when the Dukes were a pleasure to watch cause the steelers put in zero effort at Cincy.   Tipoff was a perfect time, cause the Steelers had just given up the INT for TD to Bengals, so the decision to switch over was easy.  
Dukes need to defend better, esp those 3s.   Can let hot hands stay hot.   
Was nice to see the offense get rolling a bit more.   And the FTs down the stretch were nice to see.   Ayers and Spears can be nice weapons in the last minute of close games.
Go Dukes!   See yinz Wednesday
 

Yes, those wide open three's the Dukes keep giving up has got to stop.

 

11/29/2021 11:50 am  #23


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

levon1975 wrote:

Hopefully Gunn can fit into the rotation at the 4-5 spot.  I saw him only very briefly in one game and I guess they realized he wasn't ready to play due to injury, so they pulled the plug again.  Williams showed some flashes again, but somewhat inconsistent, maybe he needs someone to push him for playing time.  
The next three games are no picnic and if the defense doesn't improve, we are looking at three losses. Based on the personnel on this team (Okani, Ayers, Easley, Spears,Williams)  it could, and should eventually be a good defensive team, but they are still in the classroom learning the intricacies of  the Dambrot defense; so they need to get up to speed quickly. All three teams are rated higher than the Dukes and Marshall is a notoriously tough place to win.  DePaul will have talent being in Chicago and a Big East team; so B-G at home is kind of a must win to avoid a potential 3-game slide.  I'm hoping they can surprise one or more of these teams and keep gaining momentum.  

I see Tre's contribution differently. I think he has been the most consistent performer.

He leads the team by a good margin for minutes played because there is not really anybody that can eat minutes to rest him. In spite of that, he is averaging less than 3 fouls per game while playing a very physical brand of basketball. He should be a better player when averaging 31 minutes per game rather than 35.

He is averaging 12 & 7 to go with 2.9 blocks. If he improves his FT percentage to 75% & FG percentage to 50% he has a solid chance to make an all conference team.

Through 7 games, I see him as the team's best all around player.

 

11/29/2021 11:56 am  #24


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

I was mildly encouraged by KD's postgame comment saying they may have to play more zone defense. I  think that 5-6 minutes a game of strategically deployed zone could really help against some opponents.

However, I don't have much faith that KD will actually do that. He talks a good game about adaptability but doesn't carry it out.

 

11/29/2021 2:01 pm  #25


Re: Game Thread - American Eagles

I like the idea of having a team prepared to play a few different defenses as the games progresses.  I like that KD will throw the press on occasionally if teams are getting too comfortable against the half-court man-to-man.  A couple of zone alternatives would make sense, but they take practice-time to perfect.  It's probably not a good idea to deploy a poorly executed zone defense at a critical point in a game.  So, the Coach decides if he wants to take practice-time away from the man-to-man and press to work on a zone or two.  They all take practice time.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now