Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2021 10:18 pm  #1

Recruiting Level

I only pose this question as I heard Harper and KD say when the Coop was close to opening that we would be going after higher level recruits.  Can any of you tell me that we have accomplished that with our recent commits?  It seems as if a lot of our targets are MAC school targets, not A-10 targets.  In all due respect to Kareem, do we really think a 5'6" or so PG is going to take us to the upper echelon of the A-10?????????  It just would be nice to see us land some players that any of the top 5 A-10 teams were going after.  When has that really happened????  Now I do like some of what we have on this year's roster with the transfers and Primo and JJ, but I would have wanted one true big.  As my good friend said to me, how good would it look with a Mike Hughes type at the 5 and Williams at the PF?    Finally, given the tendency of players to leave once they get recognized while playing at DU, maybe the focus should really be on filling out 80% of your roster from the portal.  Guys that transfer once are more likely to stay than leave again.  Hell, KD was even saying in his press conference after the AU game that he likes/wants players that have been in a program for years (old he called them) - like the Bonnies.  He also said if the guys he has now "stay" then we can get there.  Well how in the hell does Schmidt get Oshanyi and the PG to stay in nowhere Olean NY???!!!!!  Pistol out.

11/30/2021 5:01 am  #2

Re: Recruiting Level

I hear what you are saying Pistol. Would have loved to have had a quality big in this class. But looking overall at the group that KD recruited including Spears, Johnson, Ayers, Williams, Easley, and Gunn, I would have to at least give this class an A- rating. The minus due to that one missing player. If KD can bring in more players of this quality, including a big next year, I have to think that the program will be competitive with anyone in the A-10. Don't you?

Last edited by El Presidente (11/30/2021 5:02 am)

11/30/2021 2:17 pm  #3

PistolPete wrote:

I only pose this question as I heard Harper and KD say when the Coop was close to opening that we would be going after higher level recruits.  Can any of you tell me that we have accomplished that with our recent commits?  It seems as if a lot of our targets are MAC school targets, not A-10 targets.  In all due respect to Kareem, do we really think a 5'6" or so PG is going to take us to the upper echelon of the A-10?????????  It just would be nice to see us land some players that any of the top 5 A-10 teams were going after.  When has that really happened????  Now I do like some of what we have on this year's roster with the transfers and Primo and JJ, but I would have wanted one true big.  As my good friend said to me, how good would it look with a Mike Hughes type at the 5 and Williams at the PF?    Finally, given the tendency of players to leave once they get recognized while playing at DU, maybe the focus should really be on filling out 80% of your roster from the portal.  Guys that transfer once are more likely to stay than leave again.  Hell, KD was even saying in his press conference after the AU game that he likes/wants players that have been in a program for years (old he called them) - like the Bonnies.  He also said if the guys he has now "stay" then we can get there.  Well how in the hell does Schmidt get Oshanyi and the PG to stay in nowhere Olean NY???!!!!!  Pistol out.

I see your point about getting bigger along he frontline, and that would be my preference as well, even if they aren't able to play at the same time in today's world of position-less basketball.  I wonder if, a guy like Mike Hughes could even play at the same time as Williams?  I think two guys of that size might be a problem trying to guard quicker players when you switch on screens.  I guess we will see if both Williams and Gunn can be on the court  together assuming Gunn is ready to return soon.   

11/30/2021 4:53 pm  #4

I get what others are saying about post depth. That was something I highlighted as a major concern personally in the off-season, and at this point that is still the biggest question mark to me with this roster. The freshman guards will hopefully continue to improve, but there is depth and talent there. Williams and Easley are good enough (maybe really good), but Rotroff? Hima? Hima obviously a flop not getting any minutes and sorry, but Rotroff is not an A10 player. It hasn’t been 1 or 2 years. There is a large enough sample size to come to the conclusion the William and Mary debut game was an aberration rather than his true ceiling.

Regarding talent and recruiting, I have already seen this come to fruition in my opinion. This years performance aside, the two freshman guards were both true 3 stars, which is what power 5s bring in as a baseline recruit basically. I think Johnson was rated somewhere in the neighborhood of the #35 PG nationally coming into college hoops this year. That is a big get for a program like us, and way better than anything we have had recently.

We were TJ and Sincere’s only D1 offers, the two best guards we have had in the last 11 years at the program.  Those were the type of guys we were getting at baseline less than 5 years ago. That was lucky, not good. These guys prospect profiles were light years ahead of those guys coming in. Easley was a power 5 transfer. The only other ones I can think of were the Memphis and Mizzou head cases we brought in, and you could still see the talent they had in the minuscule amount of time they spent here. Dambrot brought them in. Who was the last power 5 transfer before that? Achara?

I think Ayers is the best wing we have had here since Ovie Soko, might have been playing at a lower level but he was a great get as well. Similar story on Williams.

I’m happy with the improvement in talent level (excluding post depth, the hardest commodity to come by in college hoops, especially at mid major level). Need to see it translate to the court. That’s chemistry and coaching.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/30/2021 4:54 pm)

11/30/2021 8:29 pm  #5

Duques102 wrote:

I get what others are saying about post depth. That was something I highlighted as a major concern personally in the off-season, and at this point that is still the biggest question mark to me with this roster. The freshman guards will hopefully continue to improve, but there is depth and talent there. Williams and Easley are good enough (maybe really good), but Rotroff? Hima? Hima obviously a flop not getting any minutes and sorry, but Rotroff is not an A10 player. It hasn’t been 1 or 2 years. There is a large enough sample size to come to the conclusion the William and Mary debut game was an aberration rather than his true ceiling.

Regarding talent and recruiting, I have already seen this come to fruition in my opinion. This years performance aside, the two freshman guards were both true 3 stars, which is what power 5s bring in as a baseline recruit basically. I think Johnson was rated somewhere in the neighborhood of the #35 PG nationally coming into college hoops this year. That is a big get for a program like us, and way better than anything we have had recently.

We were TJ and Sincere’s only D1 offers, the two best guards we have had in the last 11 years at the program. Those were the type of guys we were getting at baseline less than 5 years ago. That was lucky, not good. These guys prospect profiles were light years ahead of those guys coming in. Easley was a power 5 transfer. The only other ones I can think of were the Memphis and Mizzou head cases we brought in, and you could still see the talent they had in the minuscule amount of time they spent here. Dambrot brought them in. Who was the last power 5 transfer before that? Achara?

I think Ayers is the best wing we have had here since Ovie Soko, might have been playing at a lower level but he was a great get as well. Similar story on Williams.

I’m happy with the improvement in talent level (excluding post depth, the hardest commodity to come by in college hoops, especially at mid major level). Need to see it translate to the court. That’s chemistry and coaching.

This is a really good post. The players that came in this year are all good gets. I even feel good about Barba.

For big players, my question is always the same. Why does American have a player like #15 Matt Rodgers & DU never does. That type of player is highly unlikely to ever be an A-10 star but he is so much more valuable than 95% of the bigs that have come to the Bluff over the last 25 years.

11/30/2021 8:34 pm  #6

Still expecting more from Rotroff. I may be looking thru rose colored glasses but I truly believe that Rotroff just needs a good game and experience some success to regain some confidence that I believe he has lost along the way. He could be a valuable piece of the puzzle off the bench for us. We'll see.

12/01/2021 10:42 am  #7

Phil and 102 I am in agreement 100% with you guys.  El P I do think if we get a pretty good true big we could really have something next year but aren't we all tired of saying "next year"?  The key again will be retaining young guys (not the transfers as they are more unlikely to move again) who perform well and decide to stay on the Bluff.  Go Dukes!!!

12/07/2021 12:47 pm  #8

PistolPete wrote:

It just would be nice to see us land some players that any of the top 5 A-10 teams were going after.  When has that really happened????  Now I do like some of what we have on this year's roster with the transfers and Primo and JJ, but I would have wanted one true big. 

Ironically one player answers both. Mounir Hima had scholarship offers from St. Bonaventure, VCU, URI, and UMass. Of course there has to be more to the story because he supposedly is a walk on for us and is barely playing.

12/07/2021 1:08 pm  #9

Where are you getting that Hima is a walk on?

12/08/2021 10:32 am  #10

Hey guys, no worries, next year we have Kareem Abdul...............ooops sorry, wrong Kareem.

12/08/2021 3:47 pm  #11

luckymcd wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

It just would be nice to see us land some players that any of the top 5 A-10 teams were going after.  When has that really happened????  Now I do like some of what we have on this year's roster with the transfers and Primo and JJ, but I would have wanted one true big. 

Ironically one player answers both. Mounir Hima had scholarship offers from St. Bonaventure, VCU, URI, and UMass. Of course there has to be more to the story because he supposedly is a walk on for us and is barely playing.

Well, this explains why Larson at 6'5" with no Division I experience gets minutes as a reserve big man.

Why would anyone give the athletic & long 6'11" guy with multiple offers from better programs a chance in the non-con schedule after being on campus since 8/2020? That would be madness on a 3-7 team getting their ass kicked in the lane & on the defensive boards. I mean, playing a bit of zone with Hima in the middle for a change of pace would be so stupid, wouldn't it?

Last edited by phil95 (12/08/2021 3:54 pm)

12/08/2021 6:45 pm  #12

phil95 wrote:

This is a really good post...

Mostly good post, but I'm a little confused, 102. Achara wasn't a transfer, he was recruited by Danny Nee and stuck around under Ron along with Aaron Jackson. And Ovie Soko was a wing? Huh? Ovie scored most of his points in the paint (or from the charity stripe when he got fouled in the paint) in his one year with the Dukes. He did have some outside shooting range (sub-30% from 3-pt land) but I'm pretty sure he played the 5 in Ferry's 3-guard, 2-forward sets that year. He was much closer to Tre Williams, minus the shot-blocking, than Leon Ayers.

As for Power 5 transfers, in addition to Kevin Easley (TCU) and Frankie Hughes (Missouri):
Ryan Murphy (Pitt)
Rene Castro (Butler--not actually Power 5 but a good Big East program. They were down the one year he played for them but made the NCAAs the next four years)
Tarin Smith (Nebraska)
Kale Abrahamson (Northwestern via Drake)
Morakinyo Williams (Kentucky)

And if you go way back, Nick Bosnic (Maryland) and Mark Stevenson (Notre Dame). 

Almamy Thiero is the only transfer I remember from Memphis, which isn't Power5, but was becoming a big-time program under Calipari at the time. He was damaged goods physically, but I don't remember him being a headcase. You may be thinking of Simplice Njoya who transferred to Memphis during the Nee era. 

12/09/2021 4:52 pm  #13

DennisC91 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Mostly good post, but I'm a little confused, 102. Achara wasn't a transfer, he was recruited by Danny Nee and stuck around under Ron along with Aaron Jackson. And Ovie Soko was a wing? Huh? Ovie scored most of his points in the paint (or from the charity stripe when he got fouled in the paint) in his one year with the Dukes. He did have some outside shooting range (sub-30% from 3-pt land) but I'm pretty sure he played the 5 in Ferry's 3-guard, 2-forward sets that year. He was much closer to Tre Williams, minus the shot-blocking, than Leon Ayers.

As for Power 5 transfers, in addition to Kevin Easley (TCU) and Frankie Hughes (Missouri):
Ryan Murphy (Pitt)
Rene Castro (Butler--not actually Power 5 but a good Big East program. They were down the one year he played for them but made the NCAAs the next four years)
Tarin Smith (Nebraska)

Almamy Thiero is the only transfer I remember from Memphis, which isn't Power5, but was becoming a big-time program under Calipari at the time. He was damaged goods physically, but I don't remember him being a headcase. You may be thinking of Simplice Njoya who transferred to Memphis during the Nee era. 

Frankie Hughes still playing college ball by the way.  I couldn't believe it when I read it but he's at Slippery Rock U pouring it in every night.  He originally committed to Louisville his senior year of HS before rescinding and going to Missouri.  then Duquesne. then San Diego. then Slippery Rock.  this is his 4th season of playing college ball but 6th overall (1 medical redshirt, 1 transfer rule sit out.)  What a long strange trip it's been for Frankie Hughes.  Rick Pitino recruit at Louisville to Slippery Rock U 6 years later. I really enjoyed watching him play - happy for him that that he has not stopped.

12/10/2021 11:09 am  #14

DennisC91 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Ryan Murphy (Pitt)
Tarin Smith (Nebraska)

Good facts Dennis, and you are correct about Ovie, who has been the best big guy in the program since Derek Alston.  Ovie could operate in the paint, and was very athletic with the ability to take big guys off the dribble, and often times get fouled; which was kind of a problem in so many close losses for that team. Despite his talent, Ovie cost the team some big wins by missing too many free throws down the stretch in games.  I recall in particular a game at the Arena in which the Dukes ran up a big lead against a good Dayton, team, and seemed destined to pull a big upset, but they kept fouling Ovie during their comeback and he missed a lot of free throws that would have sealed the victory.  

12/10/2021 11:27 pm  #15

Did Duquesne ever put out an official announcement on the two recruits?

12/12/2021 7:05 am  #16

DennisC91 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Ryan Murphy (Pitt)
Tarin Smith (Nebraska)

A couple of names from the past and correct me if I'm wrong. Simon Oglunesi from Villanova and Dave Roddy from Miami (Fla.) 

Board footera