Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2021 6:18 pm  #1

Game Thread - Bowling Green State University Falcons

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 12/01/2021 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #194 (3-4) vs Bowling Green State University Falcons #176 (3-4; 2-4 vs. D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 2, 74-72 - Dukes with 57% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 3½ point favorites; Over/Under 145½
Duquesne 3-4 Against the Spread: BGSU 1-5 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (197); Rider (256)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (164); Hofstra (137)
BGSU Best Win(s): Milwaukee (185); Chicago St. (356)
BGSU Worst Loss(es): Western Carolina (303); Norfolk St. (280)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at BGSU for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (100)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (302)
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (332)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (60)
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: Turnover % (84)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (291)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
BGSU Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.1; 136 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 102.0; 192 in D-1
BGSU Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.0; 243 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.3; 209 in D-1
BGSU Adj Tempo - 71.9; 41 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.1; 218 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - BGSU 2.02 yrs; 157 in D-1; Dukes 0.77 yrs; 354 in D-1
Average Height - BGSU 76.9"; 179 in D-1; Dukes 77.2"; 145 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 214th in the country.
BGSU is 210st in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=401&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

11/30/2021 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Bowling Green State University Falcons

BGSU not lighting it up from the 3. Let's see if we can keep it that way.

11/30/2021 8:59 pm  #3

It looks like they did a good job keeping their most promising players around & bringing in 2 good grad transfers.

12/01/2021 9:16 am  #4

Dukes are now 5 point favorites; betting line jumped up pretty quickly.

12/01/2021 11:36 am  #5

I'm expecting a double digit win for the home team.  And another big night for Leon Ayers

12/01/2021 11:57 am  #6

I'd like to see 40 minutes of we are the better team.   Win by 15-20.   The city needs a winner.   Lets go!!!!

12/01/2021 12:11 pm  #7

Other teams now have to plan for 4+ serious scoring threats. Easely, in particular, must be accounted for on all 3 scoring levels & at all times.

My hope is that KD takes advantage of this by running a handful of plays to get Acuff & JJ open looks from 3. Even mild success with this strategy would really stretch opposing defenses to their limits.

There are 3 Dukes shooting better than 45% from 3 on decent volume. That has to be leveraged to make opponents pick their poison.

P.S. Taylor Funk of St Joes is shooting an incredible 54% from 3 on better than 8 attempts per game. He is shooting .567/.545/.923 across the board while leading the A-10 in scoring. I love watching him.

12/01/2021 12:13 pm  #8

townsonkid wrote:

I'd like to see 40 minutes of we are the better team.   Win by 15-20.   The city needs a winner.   Lets go!!!!

You nailed it with this post.

12/01/2021 12:43 pm  #9

phil95 wrote:

Other teams now have to plan for 4+ serious scoring threats. Easely, in particular, must be accounted for on all 3 scoring levels & at all times.

My hope is that KD takes advantage of this by running a handful of plays to get Acuff & JJ open looks from 3. Even mild success with this strategy would really stretch opposing defenses to their limits.

There are 3 Dukes shooting better than 45% from 3 on decent volume. That has to be leveraged to make opponents pick their poison.

P.S. Taylor Funk of St Joes is shooting an incredible 54% from 3 on better than 8 attempts per game. He is shooting .567/.545/.923 across the board while leading the A-10 in scoring. I love watching him.

Tay Funk Railroad!  He is an American Man - He'll come into your town  - he'll throw the 3 ball down - he is an American man!

12/01/2021 7:34 pm  #10

Good for first 10 minutes, not so good since.

12/01/2021 8:57 pm  #11

Well this sucks.

12/01/2021 8:57 pm  #12

Embarrassing loss. Watching it was bad enough, but that color commentator on ESPN plus who is in love with every team the Dukes play makes it that much worse.

12/01/2021 9:00 pm  #13

Rayrich wrote:

Embarrassing loss. Watching it was bad enough, but that color commentator on ESPN plus who is in love with every team the Dukes play makes it that much worse.

He makes it hard to listen to.

12/01/2021 9:03 pm  #14

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

I agree.  I have to put it on mute to watch the game

12/01/2021 9:13 pm  #15

Freshmen guards played like freshmen guards tonight.

12/01/2021 9:21 pm  #16

I thought Okani and Rotroff were gaining confidence and playing well and for some reason were pulled from the game with the Dukes up by 6 never to be seen again. Spears didn't have it tonight anyone could see that early on. Not sure why he wasn't pulled for Johnson when the Dukes needed points late. This team would be 6-2 or 7-1 with just a decent coach. Too many mind games going on between coach and players. Stupid substitutions, no feel for the ebb and flow a game or it's players. Didn't want to believe it, but I can now see why so many have left this program.

12/01/2021 9:22 pm  #17

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

I’m sorry but Ellis & Company do a good job. Let’s run out Benz & Cannon. Really. The problem is that the Dukes are not that good. Don’t be paranoid they are trying to be objective. My objectivity is that the Titanic just hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic. Very frustrated .

12/01/2021 9:26 pm  #18

Ironduke81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

I’m sorry but Ellis & Company do a good job. Let’s run out Benz & Cannon. Really. The problem is that the Dukes are not that good. Don’t be paranoid they are trying to be objective. My objectivity is that the Titanic just hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic. Very frustrated .

The talents there, but the coaching isn't. The play by play guy is great. The color commentator is a total joke.

12/01/2021 9:33 pm  #19

Ironduke81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

They're doing such a good job I'm joining CLK with the mute option. Too bad you can't just mute Cannon.

12/01/2021 9:33 pm  #20

We would be competitive for the championship in a low major program. Certainly not the A-10. We have 3 20 win seasons since my junior year 1971-1972. We have had one NCAA appearance since my graduation in May 1973. Norm Nixon's 15-15 team that lost in the first round. The 1970-1971 team went 21-4. Their highest AP ranking was #8. Their final ranking was #15. They lost in the first round of the NCAA's to Penn in Morgantown. That was my sophomore year. I was 20 years old. I am now 70. That team was the greatest Duquesne team that I ever saw. 50 years!!!! Does anyone care to dispute that? Isn't that absolutely incredible? I am not a whiner or complainer. I am a man of infinite patience (ask my wife or two sons). I'm fairly certain that only CLK and Web are more senior. Anyway, the reason for this lengthy post was to vocalize my utter despair. Thanks for listening...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/01/2021 9:34 pm  #21

Yes, I love DU BUT...
-I get bothered when folks say we should win by 5 or 10 or 15 and I always say, I'll be happy if we win by just one.  Because, as folks have said...
-Right now, we aren't that good
-It bothers me when Dambrot doesn't show up for his post-game interview with Ray Goss.  If this was many other leagues or schools, he would be taken to task over it.  He did not show up again tonight.  Grow Up Coach Dambrot.  show up when you lose tough games.  This is a pattern over the years.
-Last but not least...you want students to show up for games??? How about winning at home.

Last edited by FAM (12/01/2021 9:36 pm)

12/01/2021 9:35 pm  #22

WashPaRick wrote:

Dambrot is a horrible game coach.  In the middle of the first half when the Dukes had the big lead it looked like the players they were playing with cement shoes.  There was no movement on offense and lost on defense.  Just standing around.  AND YET Dambrot never took a time out during BG's run.  If fact Dambrot had all 4 unused time outs remaining at the end of the half.  I am so extremely disappointed in this coach and staff.  Definitely not what I expected.  I am also tired of hearing his excuses.  He needs to stop blaming the players.  He lost this game.  He can scream and yell at his players but that is not coaching. Time for Harper to light a fire.  Dambrot is in no way earning his big pay checks.

I said in July that if Dambrot craped the bed this year there is no redemption. Nobody is going to believe his BS and he will never get DU to the top of the League.  He is well on his way to doing that.  I have been one of his staunches supporter over the last five years.  I know there is a lot of basketball left to be played, but his coaching is so bad I am losing hope.  

12/01/2021 9:39 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Dambrot is a horrible game coach.  In the middle of the first half when the Dukes had the big lead it looked like the players they were playing with cement shoes.  There was no movement on offense and lost on defense.  Just standing around.  AND YET Dambrot never took a time out during BG's run.  If fact Dambrot had all 4 unused time outs remaining at the end of the half.  I am so extremely disappointed in this coach and staff.  Definitely not what I expected.  I am also tired of hearing his excuses.  He needs to stop blaming the players.  He lost this game.  He can scream and yell at his players but that is not coaching. Time for Harper to light a fire.  Dambrot is in no way earning his big pay checks.

I said in July that if Dambrot craped the bed this year there is no redemption. Nobody is going to believe his BS and he will never get DU to the top of the League.  He is well on his way to doing that.  I have been one of his staunches supporter over the last five years.  I know there is a lot of basketball left to be played, but his coaching is so bad I am losing hope.  

Totally agree CLK

12/01/2021 9:49 pm  #24

KenOTR73 wrote:

We would be competitive for the championship in a low major program. Certainly not the A-10. We have 3 20 win seasons since my junior year 1971-1972. We have had one NCAA appearance since my graduation in May 1973. Norm Nixon's 15-15 team that lost in the first round. The 1970-1971 team went 21-4. Their highest AP ranking was #8. Their final ranking was #15. They lost in the first round of the NCAA's to Penn in Morgantown. That was my sophomore year. I was 20 years old. I am now 70. That team was the greatest Duquesne team that I ever saw. 50 years!!!! Does anyone care to dispute that? Isn't that absolutely incredible? I am not a whiner or complainer. I am a man of infinite patience (ask my wife or two sons). I'm fairly certain that only CLK and Web are more senior. Anyway, the reason for this lengthy post was to vocalize my utter despair. Thanks for listening...

I went to all three games of the first Eastern Eight tourney. Skipped school and a junior high basketball game (I was the captain of our team) to watch them play Penn State the first game, Sat next to Norm Nixon and his girlfriend and watched the second game with them as a 13 year old. He gave me an autograph that day. Nicest guy in the world. When they won the championship game 57-54 over Villanova me and my two older brothers went down on the floor and high fived the whole team. Nixon, Gumby, Maser, Thomas, etc.. the whole lot. Those were my best memories.

12/01/2021 9:58 pm  #25

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Can’t disagree CLK. Unfortunately, Archie Miller not available until Dambrots contract expires in 2 years. He really is not a game coach.. Sorry no excuses the Prez & AD handed Coach Dambrot the keys to the Cadillac. 

Board footera