Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2021 10:03 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Bowling Green State University Falcons

And I too hold on to Norm Nixon and that Eastern Right tourney win. I go to the games with my son but you have to win, not all the time but most of the time. Tonight was another of hundreds of Duquesne disappointments. How can you not feel it will never end. Btw as noted previously Dambrot seems to abhor using timeouts

12/01/2021 10:47 pm  #27

FAM wrote:

Yes, I love DU BUT...
-I get bothered when folks say we should win by 5 or 10 or 15 and I always say, I'll be happy if we win by just one.  Because, as folks have said...
-Right now, we aren't that good
-It bothers me when Dambrot doesn't show up for his post-game interview with Ray Goss.  If this was many other leagues or schools, he would be taken to task over it.  He did not show up again tonight.  Grow Up Coach Dambrot.  show up when you lose tough games.  This is a pattern over the years.
-Last but not least...you want students to show up for games??? How about winning at home.

I wish I could disagree with any of this post, but I can’t. Even when they went on a run and took the lead, this was never a game I felt like we were in danger of losing. Then we end up not only losing, but losing by 9. Bowling Green certainly seems to be an inconsistent team. Even when I didn’t feel we could give this game away I was wondering how they lost to Western Carolina.

We were the better team tonight, but finished on the wrong end. I feel like I’ve said that too many times for a lifetime in just a few weeks. I was all in on Dambrot and never doubted him for four years. I’m not ready to cash out yet, but there are definitely some questions that need to be asked.

Not showing for a post game is inexcusable. I’ll be honest; I’m disgusted about this game and wouldn’t want to go on the record about it right now. You take the paycheck you accept the responsibility though. Post game interviews are part of that responsibility. Dambrot cites his love for Duquesne when it’s convenient, but Goss is about as big a part of Duquesne basketball as anyone at this point. If your team doesn’t show up, be a man and take your medicine as the head coach.

I’ve only followed the program since I started as a student in 2000. In that time I’ve seen students show up here and there. This was the first year I’ve seen student interest for game 1. I haven’t been at the Coop, but the intensity was noticeable even on TV, and survived for a bit.  Unfortunately it’s gone now. It still doesn’t seem as bad as the norm, but once the interest wanes it takes a monumental effort to get it back. Like you said, I can’t really fault the students. For years I implored them to at least give it a go. They did this year. They came, they saw, they were underwhelmed.

12/01/2021 10:51 pm  #28

Not calling timeouts when the opponent is on a run is a problem.

Then at the end of the game, I believe Duquesne was down 2 or 3 after BG had made a basket and KD called a timeout to set up a play.  Great.  They come out and what happens?!  The center shoots a 25'  3 and misses badly and it's game over.  You call a timeout to set up a play and your center fires from 25 feet?  

Am I missing something?

12/01/2021 11:06 pm  #29

Did you all get the basketballs that were from opening night?  I enter and exit the forbes entrance, and there were none there.   I only saw 2 people with one walking back to the garage.   Was there a certain place to pick them up?

12/01/2021 11:21 pm  #30

townsonkid wrote:

Did you all get the basketballs that were from opening night?  I enter and exit the forbes entrance, and there were none there.   I only saw 2 people with one walking back to the garage.   Was there a certain place to pick them up?

The more things change the more they stay the same. Even when the administration makes the right moves to get what seems to be a first class (at least for its size) arena, the specifics still make it feel like a third class operation.

12/02/2021 8:52 am  #31

the professor1108 wrote:

Not calling timeouts when the opponent is on a run is a problem.

Then at the end of the game, I believe Duquesne was down 2 or 3 after BG had made a basket and KD called a timeout to set up a play.  Great.  They come out and what happens?!  The center shoots a 25'  3 and misses badly and it's game over.  You call a timeout to set up a play and your center fires from 25 feet?  

Am I missing something?

That was just absurd.  Dambrot keeps talking about playing inside out but that is a problem when your center thinks he is a wing player.  He picks (weakly) but never rolls.  Moreover, Dambrot is destroying Jackie Johnson.  KD himself said Johnson is one of the best shooters in the college basketball, but can't find a way to utilize his skills.  Agreed he struggles at the point, but play him as an off guard and run the offense to find ways to get him open shots.  I would rather have him shooting threes from half court when you need points in crunch time than any other shooter on the team.  This kid is going to be a star but regrettably not at Duquesne.  He will be another KD casualty.

12/02/2021 9:00 am  #32

I dont understand why there wasnt a box of those balls at that gate.   Its not like I was the only person using it.   And its not just the ball, its that stupid band of 5 people, why have it?   Its no fans.   Its cheerleaders that cant do simple cheers.   Its a team that doesnt listen to their coach, or is coached by a buffoon  Its zero post presence, again.  Most fans that do go dont care.   Its a 3rd rate program top to bottom(minus the building).   Gormley and Harper should be embarrassed, or pissed off.  I wonder why any bball player even wants to go there, must be a last chance kind of thing.   Red Ring is closed too, WTH?

12/02/2021 9:11 am  #33

I have been a huge supporter of Keith Dambrot.  I was excited when he was brought in and the changes that have been made.  I love the commitment from the President and AD.  My family and I have been season ticket holders and supporters of the Men's Basketball Team (I am the young one at 35).  But I am starting to lose faith once again.  I am getting tired of the excuses being made it seems almost every single press conference (we are young, we have a bunch of new players, we have to learn to play together etc).  It is the same every year with Dambrot.  Dambrot and company have not been able to retain kids but this is everywhere in College Basketball.  How can other leagues, teams, and coaches adapt to the college basketball world but it seems like we cannot.  I hate the transfer portal and how easy it is and can only imagine how frustrating it has to be as a coaching staff but how does it seem everyone else can find a way but we cannot.

I have always wanted students at games.  I was a part of the Red and Blue Crew back in the day and my fraternity would also show up to most of the home games but how can you expect students to show up with blown losses at home?  The Rider and Hofstra games had nice crowds and now that is going away and expect it to only get worse if the losing continues.

Weber State @ Duquesne  
     9 point lead at halftime and end up being outscored by 13 in the 2nd half and lose by 4.

Colorado vs. Duquesne
     6 point lead at halftime and end up being outscored by 6 in 2nd half and then 8 in OT and lose by 8

Bowling Green @ Duquesne
     6 point lead at halftime and end up being outscored by 14 in the 2nd half and lose by 8

I want this team and especially Dambrot to be successful but like the majority on this board I am starting to lose faith in his game coaching.  His rotations don't seem to make sense, it seems if a player is hot he is taken off the court to get a rest.  The use of timeouts is strange (he doesn't use them at all).  And the development of players is non-existent.  Jackie Johnson Jr. did not play a great couple of minutes last night BUT we needed points in the 2nd half where was he to score?

I guess I am just venting and needed to get some things off my chest and there is a lot of basketball left.  I will continue to support and will always keep hoping things will turn around.  I just don't know if they will anymore.

12/02/2021 10:11 am  #34

I know this is a slight bit off but is aligned with the typical half ass Duquesne approach to the basketball experience. Why was only one side of the concession stand open on the side opposite the player benches? I gotta also say I got a bad feeling when he pulled Johnson. The kid was clearly dejected.

12/02/2021 10:14 am  #35

I agree with the criticism of Coach Dambrot's use ( misuse!) of Johnson.
You could feel the game slipping away and he was on the bench.
He has to be a consistent part of the rotation.
Don't understand the three's by our " center".
Also agree with the unwillingness to use timeout's to stop runs.
I really don't care about the mini-basketballs!
Much bigger problems with the program to stress over.

12/02/2021 10:29 am  #36

I just read the Trib Live article and is just makes me more frustrated - anyone else catch it?https://triblive.com/sports/duquesne-stumbles-late-loses-to-bowling-green/“My record against Bowling Green in my time at Akron was 25-2,” Dambrot said. “That’s a game we’ve got to win. We led (almost) all the way, but in the last 4 minutes, we did nothing.”In the first meeting in the series since December 2011, Duquesne saw its winning streak against Bowling Green end at four. Samari Curtis added 14 points and Daeqwon Plowden scored 13 for the Falcons (4-4), who ended the game on a 12-0 run to pull away.“Through the first eight games of the year now, we’ve screwed up three of them, at least,” Dambrot said. “This is not the first time. We did nothing against Weber State (63-59 loss on Nov. 15). We could have won that one. We came back against Hofstra (73-63 loss on Nov. 13) and didn’t win that one. And we blew the Colorado game (84-76 overtime loss on Nov. 20).“We’ve shown we can play close and that we’re competitive, but we haven’t shown we can win.”

And then the mentioned of the team being tired - these are D-1 college athletes - I understand you can get tired but rotating (8) players should be enough to defeat Bowling Green.  But it is also up to the coach to distribute minutes properly.  Can't Hima play at least 2-4 minutes a game?  If he cannot why is he on the roster.  Jackie should play more than 7 minutes.

Once again just get more frustrated reading the article and the quotes.  Sorry I just keep venting.

12/02/2021 11:45 am  #37

Saul's A Team wrote:

I agree with the criticism of Coach Dambrot's use ( misuse!) of Johnson.
You could feel the game slipping away and he was on the bench.
He has to be a consistent part of the rotation.
Don't understand the three's by our " center".
Also agree with the unwillingness to use timeout's to stop runs.
I really don't care about the mini-basketballs!
Much bigger problems with the program to stress over.

I dont care that you dont care, good for you coach.   But it just shows, yet again, the failures of this program/department to do a tiny bit extra in order to do something right.   Invest $50M in a building, but cant do a simple giveaway to fans.   The ball itself is meaningless, but its just another in a long list of things that are low class/sh*tty effort.   No wonder 1200 people attend the games(in a really nice building).   The product f'in stinks, from the rooter to the tooter!!!

The coach has used the tired excuse since he got here.   Its fake.   Its his get out jail card.  If you believe that crap, I got some land in Arkansas to sale you.   

Last edited by townsonkid (12/02/2021 11:47 am)

12/02/2021 11:46 am  #38

No keep venting BSDuq, its cathartic and I agree 100% with your post.

12/02/2021 11:47 am  #39

I wondered what his record against Bowling Green was, thanks for sharing. That's incredible. We're in Year 5 of the Dambrot Experiment and we can't win a home game against a MAC also-ran that Keith owned at Akron, despite leading most of the way and looking like we were going to take complete control of the game in the first half. Three games they led most of the way, should have won but didn't, but at least Weber and Colorado were credible opponents. Bowling Green really wasn't.

He's riding his starting 5 pretty hard so I guess we shouldn't be surprised at how they faded down the stretch last night. I don't need to see Bekelja and Larson back out there, but Rotroff should have been able to get more minutes against that level of competition without hurting us. And Johnson and Okani are both capable of doing good things on the court despite their limitations. When we were desperate for a 3 late, it should have been Johnson out there bombing from long-distance, not a tired and overused Ayers. 

I'm tired of the excuses about the roster. We have two freshman point guards who are clearly very talented, but neither seems that adept at running a halfcourt offense just yet. We don't have a true 5 on the roster even though Dambrot's system is supposed to be built for that. We have very little depth as you might expect with three D2 kids on scholarship. We clearly have some talented pieces that don't fit together very well and I'm not all that confident they ever will, at least not in the space of one season. Because I see the same issues that have plagued past Dambrot teams at Duquesne. The wild, out-of-control drives that lead to off-balance shots that don't have a prayer of going in. The poor 3-point shooting. The missed FTs. Getting killed by the other team on the offensive boards. I'm pretty sure we've seen all these things before in the last four years, haven't we? Though poor defense is a new wrinkle. Keith built this roster, he picked these kids, he said it was his best roster ever (of course he also said Larson was one of the best of the bunch), he said they were kids that would do things his way, including going to class.

Keith's bloviating aside, there's a reason we were picked 11th in the league this year. Certainly not hard to see this team flailing around in a death struggle with a Fordham or LaSalle on Day 1 of the conference tourney in March.

I too muted the ESPN+ stream. Benz is OK but I thought that Josh Taylor was much more of a pro. Cannon is insufferable, especially when we're losing. I'm sure he's great as a talk-show host, but his constant blabbering doesn't really translate to color commentary. And it's one thing to not be a homer, it's another to get overly excited and whoop it up when the other team makes good plays. Isn't there an app to get the radio broadcast on your phone? Anyone know if it's in synch with the ESPN+ feed? Not that I'm in any hurry to watch this hard-to-watch team again.

12/02/2021 12:25 pm  #40

Excellent post Dennis!  I forgot about KD's comment about Larsen in my other thread, what a joke!!!  But hey, KD gets advice from Lebron...........someone who never played college ball as my good friend Super G pointed out!!!  I am sick of this Labron crap and playing at the high school in Akron - give me a break.  As Dennis pointed out we were picked 11th for a reason - we just are not that good and our coaching is lacking, to put it mildly. 

12/02/2021 1:18 pm  #41

It's the same old song but nothing changes.  The finger points everywhere except him.  How about you fix it coach? It is your job, quit blaming the players.  

12/02/2021 2:05 pm  #42

Rayrich thanks for sharing and what a fun year 1977 at Duquesne! We went to NCFA national championship  football game and Norman Mase Gumby B Pat Felix and just so many other great guys went to the dance. It will happen again despite the discouraging start..someday...and I will admit I am getting worried about this year's  hoops team!I can't argue with many of the posts

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (12/02/2021 2:10 pm)

12/02/2021 2:13 pm  #43

That's another frustrating thing - he keeps mentioning "I like to play BIG" and "my teams at Akron were BIG" and "my offense always was ran thru the post"

Then why can't he recruit and develop a big or bring one in (transfer).  I like Tre Williams a lot - he also would look better at the PF and Easley at SF and then if you want to go small and adjust during the game you can slide them down thru different positions.  

Hughes has been the only big that was half decent - but he was only 6'8-6'9.  

12/02/2021 3:15 pm  #44

Some tough road games coming up at Marshall and Depaul.
Hopefully at the next home game everyone gets their mini basketball ( ! ) and Dambrot
has settled on a rotation that includes Johnson.

12/02/2021 3:20 pm  #45

I think during the Colorado game, the announcers (who were way more insightful than the Benz-Cannon show) talked about how Dambrot told Williams he was going to get to score in his system, might even be the leading scorer on the team. Williams is a very good player and I'm all for the growth mindset, but maybe you're asking a bit much of the kid if you're expecting him to score a lot when he was never that kind of player at this level before. He's playing the 5, which he did at Indiana State, even if he's a bit undersized for it, but they're also asking him to step out and shoot 3s, which isn't working and which was never really part of his game up to this point. So he's playing more minutes, scoring more, rebounding more, blocking more shots, but his efficiency numbers are way down from what they were at ISU. Sure looks like a case of a talented player being asked to do more than he's really capable of on a team that doesn't have other options.

12/02/2021 6:09 pm  #46

the professor1108 wrote:

.  You call a timeout to set up a play and your center fires from 25 feet?  

Am I missing something?

Yeah that one stupefied me was well!

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (12/02/2021 6:22 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/02/2021 6:12 pm  #47

townsonkid wrote:

I dont understand why there wasnt a box of those balls at that gate.   Its not like I was the only person using it.   And its not just the ball, its that stupid band of 5 people, why have it?   Its no fans.   Its cheerleaders that cant do simple cheers.   Its a team that doesnt listen to their coach, or is coached by a buffoon  Its zero post presence, again.  Most fans that do go dont care.   Its a 3rd rate program top to bottom(minus the building).   Gormley and Harper should be embarrassed, or pissed off.  I wonder why any bball player even wants to go there, must be a last chance kind of thing.   Red Ring is closed too, WTH?

I was thinking the same thing about the band.  We have a top notch music school but we can't field a decent pep band.  Is it finals week?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/02/2021 6:28 pm  #48

townsonkid wrote:

Lol.  “ Gormley and Harper should be embarrassed or pissed off.”   Gee, If either one ran the place and had decision making abilities to change things.   

They are neither embarrassed or pissed off.  They both make great salaries.   And there are very few people who care enough to Complain to them.  And those in the inner circle kiss their asses.   Apathy is their best friends.

We pay actual money to see their ineptness year after year.  I don’t give a damn about getting a mini basketball.   But they tweeted the day before the game about those basketballs and no one gave a damn enough to see if they even arrived

Luckymcd and you said said it best.  It has always been a third class operation.  And it always will be.

The same third class operation that existed during the Colleary and Amodio eras is alive and thriving under Harper with a staff triple the size of Colleary’s and with significantly more people than Amodio.  And they all punch out at 4:30 and could give a damn if any DU team won or lost. Most of them couldn’t even tell you if they won or lost. 

But hey we have a social media coach.   That doesn’t attend games or promote the team.   But spends a ton of time promoting himself and his number one client Damar Hamlin of the Buffalo Bills and Pitt.  And promoting himself as the NCAA’s first social media coach. Snake. Oil. Salesman.

Last edited by A83 (12/02/2021 7:11 pm)

12/02/2021 7:52 pm  #49

ID fire the entire athletic department.They lack passion and especially whomever is in charge of ticket sales.
You need people who are passionate selling Duquesne basketball like it really matters.You put 3,000 people
in seats and Dukes would be undefeated at home.Suddenly players forget their fatigue.They win by 15 points
last night.

12/02/2021 8:09 pm  #50

The athletic department had all summer and fall to make a push to fill the Coop for each game this season.
They failed miserably and last night the Bowling Green people were making more noise than anyone else.
Where is the pep band?Wake up, basketball put Duquesne on the map and Duquesne treats basketball as
if it doesnt mattter.

Board footera