Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2021 10:56 am  #1

Year 5

Oh my, where to begin.....This is a complete disaster with KD at the helm and it couldn't come at a worse time given the admin commitment and the new facility.  This guy must have taken a MATRIX pill as he is not living in reality with his approach to recruiting, coaching staff, and coaching.  Like the rest of you, I am tired of the excuses! We are young, inexperienced etc.?  Why is that Keith?  Maybe because your roster turnover rate sucks and it usually involves your best players - last year it was Baker and Dre.  This is year 5 boys and we have lost to Hofstra and Bowling Green - AT HOME - and Northeastern on a neutral court!!!!  KD's recruiting is MAC level and why on earth didn't he sign a seasoned PG out of the portal and a true big!!!  I like the frosh PG's, but you knew the lack of experience would kill us.  Good lord wait until we face good A-10 competition.  Coaching????  He is destroying JJ and doesn't utilize what he can do extremely well - shooting.  As the Professor noted he has his Center shooting 3's when Williams' percentage is awful from the 3 point line.  His rotation is baffling at times and clearly, he doesn't use his time-outs effectively.  He won't shake up his staff to bring in a recruiter that can open up states other than Michigan or Ohio.  The opportunity to bring back students is once again gone and can you blame them??!!  But hey, let's take comfort in KD's prior statements:
"this is my best team"
"we are only going to turn this roster over once"
"we'll be really good next year"
Please, someone put a muzzle on him, I want to puke.  Dr. G and Harper it is time to open up the checkbook and buy this guy out end of season.  Hell, we spent what $30mm on a new facility for this???!!!  As Iron Duke once said about Ferry and his salary, this guy is "stealing".  I have no trust or confidence that KD is the right guy at this point so we need to take our medicine and buy him out.  Dave Harper I hope you are starting to put out feelers for candidates on your short list - which all AD's have - its time.  Pistol out.............

12/02/2021 11:36 am  #2

Re: Year 5

I am surprised that fans are surprised with the results this year.   We knew the “this is my best team” was a load of crap.  Numerous  people have commented  on the quality of the recruits and the other schools recruiting these players.   I don’t get why everyone is surprised.   

And this will be as equally unpopular.   Harper turned the Palumbo Center into a serviceable arena.   It is by no means a place that will entice recruits to come here.   Just like some snake oil salesman social media coach won’t. But people went crazy with that announcement as well.   

Harper is Amodio with better fund raising skills.  Don’t put your trust in him either.  But hey we are hosting the NCAA tournament again this year.   When your pool for AD candidates only stretches to associates at Xavier or Dayton this is what you get.

Last edited by A83 (12/02/2021 11:42 am)

12/02/2021 12:13 pm  #3

Pete and A,
You beat me to it.  I was just going to write something similar, but my lowly opinions  are close but different.  Please read all before you get ticked.  First, Dambrot inherited a mess from a coach who couldn't hack it on many levels.  I'll leave it at that.  The AD then hired a coach who we went after a number of years ago and wouldn't come, and then with some assurances he said okay.  Salary - upgrades in program - facilities.  He got everything.

Last year, they still traveled everywhere, there was COVID, and some of those players were an issue, but I agree, his style does not know how to keep the stars at times.  Other coaches can!!!  This is the 1st year of a full year with the facilities.  I think when he saw those guys make 3's in practice, and some have good basketball sense he really did believe this was his best team ever.  Thus far, he has failed to win close games.  With that said, and to repeat, it will be the 1st full year of the facilities he wanted to show recruits, etc.  He needs to go through this year and let's see how the players develop.  His last year (PLEASE DON't renew Duquesne) is next year unless we get to a tournament next year.  This University, with the support of the AD and the PRESIDENT is not the hole it used to be for basketball coaches and programs.  I am as angry as anyone else over this year so far but we have to use some logic...
-Don't know what buying out one year will really do (next year)
-This is the 1st year of everything in place
-If he can hold onto some of these players, we will definitely continue to grow

My thought is let him go through next year (the university also doesn't have lots of money to be buying out coaches) DO NOT RENEW UNLESS HE GETS US TO A TOURNAMENT NEXT YEAR...and then either add on a few years if we get to the NCAA or NIT or start looking...and again, I am hugely disappointed in him this year. Can I say it...GODUKES!!!

PS:  If you are upset over the season so far, PLEASE email the AD and President.  Just posting here does nothing.  go to the staff directory of Duquesne University Athletics and start letting them know.

12/02/2021 12:53 pm  #4

I do expect he'll be back next year, I'd like to think year 2 with this team would be much better, but I also suspect more kids will flee if they no longer have to sit out a year and we could be turning over much of the roster again. 

I'm not really sure what happens after that, but one very possible scenario is that Keith, who will turn 65 in 2023, announces late next season that the final year of his contract (2023-24) will be his last. Carl Thomas then takes over as head coach for the 2024-25 season. I suppose that scenario may be dependent on at least modest success the next two years, but I could definitely see things shaking out that way.

12/02/2021 2:01 pm  #5

FAM really expressed my feelings on the whole basketball issue here. You know there are 320 or so division 1 teams trying to make the NCAA's. Why do we think that it's automatic that in year 5 we are a shoo in. I just don't see things quite the way some others here do. Am I satisfied with the way things are going at present? NO! Certainly not. Do I believe that there is some talent in the program? Yes, absolutely. I would hope that with the new facility we will see more talented players coming our way over the next couple of years. Would I fire KD? NO. I really don't believe that things have gone that far south. There are lots of teams out there experiencing much the same. I really do believe that JF was right when he stated, "everybody's good."  He might have been ahead of his time with that. Now with the transfer portal there is more parity than I ever thought possible in college basketball. There really are very few bad teams out there and anybody can beat anybody for the most part. We do have a way to go yet to be a top A-10 team but not so far that 1 or 2 3* bigs wouldn't get us there. That can happen as soon as next year. I don't know how this season will play out. I will continue to support this team and coaching staff as long as they are here. If a change is made somewhere down the line, I will continue to support this team. BTW, I still believe Rotroff needs to play a bit more to give Williams a chance to catch his breath! Had to get that in!
GO DUKES!!

12/02/2021 3:55 pm  #6

El Presidente wrote:

... Why do we think that it's automatic that in year 5 we are a shoo in. I just don't see things quite the way some others here do...

Sorry, EP, who said we were a shoo-in for the NCAAs this year? I don't recall reading that, even though some folks did buy Keith's line that this was his most talented Duquesne team ever. Just the same, I don't think anyone thought that such a completely retooled, reimagined team was a "shoo in" for the tourney. OK, I'm just looking at the "on the record" thread and I see some folks did indeed predict well over 20 wins and an NCAA tourney bid. But those folks have typically erred on the very optimistic side over the years, especially long before the season actually starts, so I'm not sure we should read too much into that. I doubt anyone, regardless of how bold they tried to sound in their predictions, seriously thought we'd beat Bonaventure this year. But I think folks do expect to beat the Hofstras, Weber States, Northeasterns and certainly Bowling Greens, especially when we're playing on our home court and/or ahead for most of the game. I think folks do expect a certain compete level in losses that hasn't always been there this year. I think folks do expect to see signs that this retooled, reimagined Year 5 team is laying the groundwork for a run at the NCAAs in Year 6 or 7. We aren't close to seeing that and I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Just one or two 3-star bigs away, huh? For this program, that's quite a chasm.

12/02/2021 5:30 pm  #7

I was reluctant to go "on the record" this year like no other because of all the new players. After all, my prognostic reputation was sealed when I thought we would win 19 games in JF's last season. So I went ahead and predicted 22 wins because I thought it was all in fun and I was among (long-suffering) friends. Even then, I was thinking more NIT or CBI than NCAA because although the schedule is better it's still not that strong and the NET ranking would reflect that. 

12/03/2021 8:48 am  #8

Pistol, Johnson is a talent but you have to agree he can not play defense. Given KD’s aversion to EVER play zone of any type this is a major problem. I thought the color analyst from the tournament hit it on the head when he said Johnson needs to trust giving up the ball to get it back in a better position to score.
Thinking KD is going to change this in your face defensive posture that leads to countless layups by our opponents is wishful thinking. We currently rank 216th in 2pt defense and 317th in 3pt according to KenPom. Every coach in the country has learned to make us of a zone defense. This teams construction screams for it.
A83, like everyone else I feel and understand the frustration. I’m a 45+ year fan. What Harper did to save this program can not be minimized!

12/03/2021 10:15 am  #9

Dome great point about Dambrot's unwillingness, or inability to incorporate a zone defense. Why is that?  As you pointed out, it could hardly produce worsts results than his one size fits all man, and give the long athletic type of players we have could be more effective at times.  Moreover, it would help players like Hima who will always struggle in a man only defense to give us useful minutes in a zone.

12/03/2021 10:55 am  #10

CLK, agree with your points. KD believes it takes longer to teach effective zone principles than man. I’m at a loss to understand it. Last year he tried it for one or two possessions in a  couple of games and immediately declared it useless.

Depending on what zone he decides it might provide some help on the boards since we are getting killed there. That has also been a constant under KD. Basic boxing out principles aren’t being emphasized. Several times in the Colorado game it was costly.

Last edited by The Dome (12/03/2021 10:59 am)

12/03/2021 12:08 pm  #11

Most of these players have played zone before, especially the transfers.  That is a pretty poor excuse for him to use.  It is not like his exclusive use of man is working, and it is not like he has to play a zone exclusively.     As you said above just about every other coach in the country has managed to incorporate a zone.  Are our players not smart enough to learn, or is our high priced coach unable to teach?   I am so tired of excuses. The job of a manager by definition is getting the job done through other people.  By any reasonable standard Dambrot is not getting the job done so far in his 5th year.   

12/03/2021 2:20 pm  #12

The Dome wrote:

Pistol, Johnson is a talent but you have to agree he can not play defense. Given KD’s aversion to EVER play zone of any type this is a major problem. I thought the color analyst from the tournament hit it on the head when he said Johnson needs to trust giving up the ball to get it back in a better position to score.
Thinking KD is going to change this in your face defensive posture that leads to countless layups by our opponents is wishful thinking. We currently rank 216th in 2pt defense and 317th in 3pt according to KenPom. Every coach in the country has learned to make us of a zone defense. This teams construction screams for it.
A83, like everyone else I feel and understand the frustration. I’m a 45+ year fan. What Harper did to save this program can not be minimized!

JJ is no defensive stopper, that is true. However, after rewatching every minute he has played in the last 4 available games for the express purpose of watching him play defense, I believe it is wrong to say he cannot play defense. His effort on that end was in no way a liability in any of those games. You can see him applying & trying to apply the things he is being asked to do. 

If you have time, take a look at his minutes against Bowling Green & you will see that he is not out of position nor does his man score any points, claim any offensive rebounds, or record any assists during his 7 minutes. You could get on him for not sprinting out to challenge a wide-open 3 but that was Primo's man that had already burned Primo going to the hoop & Primo quit on the play then acted like it was somebody else's responsibility. Really, both guys did not put forth enough effort on that important play. 

This goes nicely with KD's BS about JJ not playing more in the game because you can't come in off the bench & make turnovers. The kid made one turnover being picked from behind in the transition. He also slipped & stumbled due in large part to the horrific offensive spacing & got tied up for a jump ball. This was not a turnover. Then he was yanked for the remaining 25 minutes of the game.

What about the 2 easy buckets he created with dribble penetration? What about the best 2-man plays seen all season with Rotroff?

8 games in KD has decided who he will be his whipping boy as he pretends for another year to hold the entire team accountable.

If you do look back on JJ's BG minutes, watch closely as JJ approaches the bench after his big 3 & again coming out of the ensuing timeout. KD does not acknowledge JJ in any way while his teammates & other coaches do. KD is too busy yelling at somebody else on the way in & oblivious on the way out. This behavior reminds me very much of how Eric Williams was treated during his sophomore year.

I don't think JJ has earned 25 minutes per game or anything close to that. I also don't think he has earned getting yanked & glued to the bench for what amounts to very typical freshman errors.

12/03/2021 3:25 pm  #13

I've been a KD guy since his arrival.  The things I'm seeing this year as it pertains to game management/coaching seem different.  I don't understand the Xs and Os of basketball the way a lot on this board do but in the previous seasons I was impressed with his ability to run defensive sets late in the game to give us a chance to win.  This season is mind boggling.  He looks completely in over his head and the team is not prepared or able to adjust to what the other teams are doing.  I wonder how much "coaching" went on in the months leading up to the Rider game.  This team is not prepared.  I see lots of effort and raw talent but no rudimentary understanding of what they are supposed to being doing at either end of the court.  Now that the season is in full swing is there time to get back to the basics and learn the system?  I think Ayers, Easley and Tre are as good or better than any player KD has brought to the bluff.  I have hope but BG game was a sizeable step backward and that just can't happen.  It's on KD

12/03/2021 3:47 pm  #14

Maryland coach just stepped down...according to the papers.  I have a source who told me he was fired because they were ranked and our now losing.  Well, we were never ranked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/03/2021 5:36 pm  #15

Dome and CLK we have talked about this in the past regarding zone and I think you're right. I think it is great to have man as your base defense or primary defense or whatever you want to call it but you should have alternatives. This is true in any sport for general tactics and if nothing more than a change from what is not working during the game. One criticism of KD that I agree with but I
also   remain a fan overall and want to get a little deeper into this season.  I am  admittedly looking like a wild eyed optimist at 23 wins for the moment,  and I also thought that the Steelers would win the division.After week 1 so did a lot of people. At least I learned not to bet a long time ago! 😀 Go Dukes    and I appreciate all opinions and this board!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (12/03/2021 5:38 pm)

12/04/2021 11:00 am  #16

I haven't been following but what are the Miller brothers (Sean and Archie) doing these days?

12/04/2021 11:18 am  #17

Phil excellent post about JJ and KD and CLK I am with you on the on-going "excuses".   Dome you too raise some good points.  Bottom line is we are not where we should be in Year 5.  Professor, nice to see you post, do you have some intel about the Miller boys?????

12/04/2021 12:25 pm  #18

None at all...I was just wondering.  

12/05/2021 11:33 am  #19

Our social media coach is hyped on Pitt winning the ACC football championship and promoting their players.   Money well spent.

12/06/2021 8:27 am  #20

CLK wrote:

Dome great point about Dambrot's unwillingness, or inability to incorporate a zone defense. Why is that?  As you pointed out, it could hardly produce worsts results than his one size fits all man, and give the long athletic type of players we have could be more effective at times.  Moreover, it would help players like Hima who will always struggle in a man only defense to give us useful minutes in a zone.

I have really not seen enough of Hima to know what he's capable of on either end of the court. Do you believe that he will always be a defensive liability or that he has the potential or athleticism to be a solid defensive player at some point? Just asking.

12/06/2021 8:57 am  #21

Dambrot should quit, he wont, but should.   Program has not gotten better since his first year, its a joke, embarrassing.  Team stinks, recruiting is a joke.   Also, consider moving to the Patriot conference.   Or any other conference that is a step down from the A10.   Cant win there, just wasting time and money.   Pitt just showed us, no matter how bad a conference is, winning it is pretty sweet.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/06/2021 9:07 am)

12/06/2021 9:58 am  #22

Townson, I feel your pain. First, since you mentioned Pitt, their basketball team is terrible. Yes, their football team won this year due to their quarterback but haven’t had this many wins in 40, count them, 40! Years.  When they lost earlier this year everyone wanted Narduzzi fired.

Now, I get it. He says this is his best team ever and he loses the closes games. Close game wins n losses usually translates into coaching. So, he has two years left. They aren’t going to fire him. If he succeeds he may get renewed if he doesn’t win these are his last two years… and believe me when I say I am extremely disappointed in him this year as much as anyone.

12/06/2021 10:23 am  #23

FAM wrote:

Townson, I feel your pain. First, since you mentioned Pitt, their basketball team is terrible. Yes, their football team won this year due to their quarterback but haven’t had this many wins in 40, count them, 40! Years. When they lost earlier this year everyone wanted Narduzzi fired.

Now, I get it. He says this is his best team ever and he loses the closes games. Close game wins n losses usually translates into coaching. So, he has two years left. They aren’t going to fire him. If he succeeds he may get renewed if he doesn’t win these are his last two years… and believe me when I say I am extremely disappointed in him this year as much as anyone.

I look for Pitt football to take a nose dive without Pickett next year. How good do you think our basketball team would be with a Pickett equivalent, say a 6-10 5* big? Pretty darn good I bet. Best in the conference possibly.
You're never that far away from success when one player can make such a huge difference. And in basketball even more so.

12/06/2021 10:52 am  #24

Agreed El P!!!

12/06/2021 1:50 pm  #25

No doubt, if not for the Covid year, Pitt would have been it’s usual 6-6, team.  Pickett took full advantage of the extra year; and gave Pitt a respite from the dregs of mediocrity! 
A couple of key additions for this Dukes team would have been an experienced point guard and as El. P mentioned another quality big guy; but those don’t come under the tree on Christmas.  Those guys are being offered by every major program; so unless the coaches have an “in” with the guy; he’s not coming here.

Board footera