Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2021 3:41 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - DePaul Blue Demons

Thanks for adding that, PRII.
I hadn't realized that KD's A-10 record was that good. Given what he inherited, that is pretty solid
Maybe there should be a new "on the record" contest for just this year's conference season.

12/08/2021 6:16 pm  #27

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

No disprespect El Presidente, but Ayers, Easley, and Wiliams have all played two or three full years. Only sophs because of Covid. Every team in America is young in that regard. If you thing this coaching staff needs more time to develop these guys that's fine, but if not write your letters to the the AD, assistant AD, and president like FAM suggested in an earlier post. I did earlier and expressed my thoughts to them. I for one think this is a total joke of a coaching staff. If anyone disagrees please tell me. If Dambrot was let go how many D-1 programs would hire him at this point. I say ZERO.

Maybe when you & FAM write your emails to the AD don’t forget to enclose a check for one million dollars. Maybe both of you can buy out Dambrots contract. If not which I’m just guessing I really don’t think the Ad or President cares what anyone on this board believes about the current state of the program. Money talks whiners walk. 

So Ironduke81, you are calling me a whiner because I don't have a million dollars to contribute? I know you have spoused in the past how much you contributed to the program. As if your contributions mean more than others and gives you some right to belittle myself and others on this board. I live in the sticks (Adirondacks of NY), worked hard my entire life, not a millionaire by no means, and have contributed (not a million, but a goodly sum) to the program. Regardless, this forum I believe was meant for fans to speak their minds, without being ridiculed by certain donors. It's pompous and just downright wrong. If you contributed that much, you can make a difference from what you are saying, so make one already.

12/08/2021 6:41 pm  #28

Rayrich wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

No disprespect El Presidente, but Ayers, Easley, and Wiliams have all played two or three full years. Only sophs because of Covid. Every team in America is young in that regard. If you thing this coaching staff needs more time to develop these guys that's fine, but if not write your letters to the the AD, assistant AD, and president like FAM suggested in an earlier post. I did earlier and expressed my thoughts to them. I for one think this is a total joke of a coaching staff. If anyone disagrees please tell me. If Dambrot was let go how many D-1 programs would hire him at this point. I say ZERO.

Maybe when you & FAM write your emails to the AD don’t forget to enclose a check for one million dollars. Maybe both of you can buy out Dambrots contract. If not which I’m just guessing I really don’t think the Ad or President cares what anyone on this board believes about the current state of the program. Money talks whiners walk. 

So Ironduke81, you are calling me a whiner because I don't have a million dollars to contribute? I know you have spoused in the past how much you contributed to the program. As if your contributions mean more than others and gives you some right to belittle myself and others on this board. I live in the sticks (Adirondacks of NY), worked hard my entire life, not a millionaire by no means, and have contributed (not a million, but a goodly sum) to the program. Regardless, this forum I believe was meant for fans to speak their minds, without being ridiculed by certain donors. It's pompous and just downright wrong. If you contributed that much, you can make a difference from what you are saying, so make one already.

12/08/2021 6:47 pm  #29

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Sorry you feel you underachieved in life but the reality of any major sports programs are alumni buying out coaches contracts. My point was that the President & AD really don’t care about your emails. Both are bright & clearly see the current status of the mens basketball program. Sorry I have to get back to my investments in the stock market. It’s tough being me. 

12/08/2021 7:00 pm  #30

Ironduke81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Sorry you feel you underachieved in life but the reality of any major sports programs are alumni buying out coaches contracts. My point was that the President & AD really don’t care about your emails. Both are bright & clearly see the current status of the mens basketball program. Sorry I have to get back to my investments in the stock market. It’s tough being me. 

Thank you for exposing yourself to what you truly are all about, as if i didn't know already.

12/08/2021 7:09 pm  #31

Rayrich wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Thank you for exposing yourself to what you truly are all about, as if i didn't know already.

You are welcome my friend

12/09/2021 11:03 am  #32

Ironduke81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

IronDuke,
I’ll say it again, since your love of DU bball n Dambrot is a strong impetus for your remarks. Dambrot isn’t going anywhere… he has two years left and will be given the opportunity to change his record around. Everyone wants him to be successful. Folks are upset and rightly so. There are no more DU excuses. He got the salary he wanted, the recruiting freedom he wanted, the Fieldhouse he wanted, and more. These are his players he recruited the last few years. He has NOT produced thus far. I hope he does and want him to. But for heavens sake, look at his record so far this year… one in which he said that this is his best team ever. What worries me more is the two players he recruited for next year…two kids not recruited by any strong teams in the USA.
With all of that said, I want Dambrot to succeed and hope we don’t lose another game this year. I, like you, love DU bball. Though I don’t have a million dollars I do have season tickets and also contribute. I am also tired of DU losing.
BTW, I can tell you that they do care about the state of the program… do you think Ferry got fired before his contract was up because he was successful? Plus, with the salaries and new Fieldhouse the University has more money invested in bball than ever before.

Again write a check. Two alumni at Indiana stroked two checks to buy out Archie Miller. Duquesne thanks to Covid can’t afford a buyout.

Archie Miller is sitting idle?  That is interesting.  Sean too?  

12/09/2021 11:29 am  #33

Sean cheated, Archie isnt good.   Its really not interesting, and just let pitt hire Sean, they deserve each other.

DU cant afford a $2M contract buyout?    I realize it wont happen, maybe not until after next season when its down to $1.   Or maybe the coach says enough and retires to an easy relaxing life.   But I dont think Harper or Gormley were prepared for such a disaster to open the new arena.   Most of us werent predicting this miserable start.   And neither of them are in position to overreact, they arent going to fire the coach in December.   But if they go something like 5-25, do they bring him back in 2022-23 is the question.

12/09/2021 11:47 am  #34

Townsend said, "But I don't think Harper or Gormley were prepared for such a disaster to open the new arena."

Good point.  I feel bad for both of them.  When Dambrot pushed for the arena, the AD had to push and get the okay.  Duquesne hasn't had such a vibrant and supportive President since Father Mac.  The way he connects with the students is amazing.  Soon, he will be walking through a Danny Nee like attendance situation and won't have anyone to get excited in the stands.  But I do have Faith in them...they have to be embarrassed.  Come on Dambrot, you can do it!   We hope...

12/09/2021 12:24 pm  #35

townsonkid wrote:

Sean cheated, Archie isnt good.   Its really not interesting, and just let pitt hire Sean, they deserve each other.

DU cant afford a $2M contract buyout?    I realize it wont happen, maybe not until after next season when its down to $1.   Or maybe the coach says enough and retires to an easy relaxing life.   But I dont think Harper or Gormley were prepared for such a disaster to open the new arena.   Most of us werent predicting this miserable start.   And neither of them are in position to overreact, they arent going to fire the coach in December.   But if they go something like 5-25, do they bring him back in 2022-23 is the question.

Archie was successful in the A-10.  Maybe that is his ceiling.  I'd be happy to have him at DU but i don't see him being interested.  KD may be the last "proven winning coach" the Dukes see until they get over the hump.  The admin had better be exploring options now for the next coach.  A young, innovative candidate looking to prove himself with a strong track record of identifying talent is what they need.  The next hire is crucial. Getting rid of KD now would be a huge mistake - I don't think anyone is saying that.  KD DID steadily improve the program his first 3 years.  It's not like he's been a disaster.  I'm willing to wait to see how this team finishes before i throw dirt on his tenure.  If they get better and finish in the top half of the A-10 I'd be pleased.  I'd still like them to move on if that occurs though.  He's had plenty of time to show his hand and that hand seems to indicate an ability to get the team out of the basement and only to the middle of the pack.  I'm not confident he can recruit or coach us over the hump.  

12/09/2021 12:53 pm  #36

DU has significant lost income because of the pandemic both from MBB and WBB programs-no tournament one year and numerous cancelled games. I am guessing but the university has experienced reduced enrollment plus the expense for testing.
As a result, the school has probably tighten budgets  including those of the sport teams.
It could be KD had his recruiting budget cut.
As for KD, he was very close to his father. He may be still grieving. 
KD took a gamble with the program. No more nice guy--bring in players that want to win and don't
whine or complain. Get rid of the malcontents. Will this gamble pay off? So far no but 21 games to play.
As for the miniature basketball-casualty of the supply chain mess
KD won't be fired this year. 
The real priority for the university is the medical school. Notice that big hole across from Coop?
No delays for the school at least for now, The funding, as far as know, remains in place.

12/09/2021 1:00 pm  #37

Econ69 wrote:

DU has significant lost income because of the pandemic both from MBB and WBB programs-no tournament one year and numerous cancelled games. I am guessing but the university has experienced reduced enrollment plus the expense for testing.
As a result, the school has probably tighten budgets  including those of the sport teams.
It could be KD had his recruiting budget cut.
As for KD, he was very close to his father. He may be still grieving. 
KD took a gamble with the program. No more nice guy--bring in players that want to win and don't
whine or complain. Get rid of the malcontents. Will this gamble pay off? So far no but 21 games to play.
As for the miniature basketball-casualty of the supply chain mess
KD won't be fired this year. 
The real priority for the university is the medical school. Notice that big hole across from Coop?
No delays for the school at least for now, The funding, as far as know, remains in place.

Very insightful post. Thank you

12/09/2021 1:29 pm  #38

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This defeat clinches a losing non-conference slate; first time since 2014-15.

There is something seriously wrong with all of us that that call ourselves Duquesne Basketball Fans. We are either truly demented, or the most loyal and hopeful group in the history of fandom. There is an old saying that hope springs eternal. The definition of this saying is that human nature always tries find fresh cause for optimism.  Well, this might be the right time for it.  Christmas is the time of hope and new beginnings. I think we are all looking for signs of hope for this team, and a fresh cause for optimism.

While the non-conference record is assured to be a losing one, I am looking for this team to improve, get better and correct the same problems that plagues them every game.  Going back to basics on fixing these self inflicted problems would provide me with some hope.

1) We need to rebound better as a team.  This is a matter of will and boxing out your man.
2) If we don't rebound for goodness sake get back on defense.  We give up way too many easy transition baskets
3) Stop the matador defense, and easy drives to the basket. Stay in front of your man.
4)  Play smarter disciplined defense.  Wide open three point shots kill us.
5) Stop the ball hogging.  Our point guard can't play for himself and worry about getting his shots.  Share the ball.
6) More movement on offense. and trust your teammates. If you have a GOOD shot take it. If not give it up.
7) It's called pick and roll, not pick and hang out.  I want my center under the basket, not hoisting three pointers.
8) Better coaching and plyer substitutions.  There is so much to talk about under this category it depresses me, and most of it has already been said by others. 

I am sure there are other things to add.  I still believe in the players, as there is so much individual talent on this team.  Basically, everything I said above is ultimately on the coaches. It is his job to fix it.   I have probably been one of the most ardent supporters of KD. It is time for him to step up and give us reasons to hope he can still get the job done,  

12/09/2021 2:59 pm  #39

Does anyone know of Rodney Gunn’s status?  High ankle sprains are bad. His size and shooting might help.  Of course, we haven’t seen him , save that minute or two well back. Odd.

12/11/2021 10:55 am  #40

I see DePaul beat Louisville at Louisville last night.  Just horrible basketball; at one point neither team scored for over 5-minutes of game time; and it wasn’t because the defenses were so good.  Probably the worst Louisville team I can recall ever seeing; and DePaul clearly has guys with length and individual ability; but good luck coaching them.  They literally looked like they just picked teams last night at the park! Shot selection? Hah!  Who needs it!  The fact that DePaul is now 8-1 speaks volumes about the poor quality of basketball being played in the NCAA today; it’s basically unwatchable; and I found something else to occupy my time.

Board footera