Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2021 4:17 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of California, Irvine Anteaters

That was a really nice win.

I am disgusted not to have seen it. Surely, somebody was there recording that can post extended highlights somewhere.

Tre & Primo, best wishes for quick healing. 

Earlier this week it was asked who could take a game over. AYERS can!

12/19/2021 4:19 pm  #27

So what happened to Tre and Primo?

12/19/2021 4:20 pm  #28

Williams hurt his shoulder on a drive.
Spears hurt his knee and was wearing an elastic brace
Neither player returned to play.

12/19/2021 4:22 pm  #29

Take a look at the season-to-date stats on the website. It's nice to see Jaylen Cole-Williams averaging 14.9 points per game & Colin Welp as DU's third-leading scorer.

#cluelessathleticdepartment

12/19/2021 4:24 pm  #30

Sorry to hear. Hope for a quick return for both. First for them and then the team which needs both in there.
Really wonder about RG Gunn's health.

12/19/2021 4:35 pm  #31

phil95,
Where is Edward Scissorshands

12/19/2021 4:40 pm  #32

Absolutely awesome win for the Dukes! Most committed and energized performance I have seen from this group. I’m starting to believe Coach Dambrot ‘s comments about how talented this group is. Really could be special if they stay together and continue to buy in the way they did today! We have one of the least experienced teams in the country and it has shown, but the potential sure is exciting.

Primo Spears was able to return to the floor and play the rest of the way. Tre Williams seemed to have hurt his shoulder and did not return. I hope they are both okay moving forward!

12/19/2021 4:41 pm  #33

Great game by the Dukes.  Down 2 starters in the second half and the were tougher than nails.  I love what Rotroff is giving us now.  He is capable of more as he gets more playing time.  What can you say about Acuff & Ayers.?  Just outstanding.  Ayers even played the point and Johnson made some really key plays.  Great job.  Keep it going guys.

Here are some quotes from the UCI Head Coach:

"Let's give credit to Duquesne, they were outstanding today. You can see the level of fight they brought to the court which doesn't surprise me."

"We didn't rebound well against USC and were worse today against a smaller team that was far tougher and more determined than we were."

"I didn't expect them to dominate us they way they did, some breaks went Duquesne's way and they capitalized on them they way a team with outstanding spirit and competitiveness should."

Box Score
Men's Basketball vs UC Irvine on 12/19/2021 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

12/19/2021 4:44 pm  #34

phil95 wrote:

Take a look at the season-to-date stats on the website. It's nice to see Jaylen Cole-Williams averaging 14.9 points per game & Colin Welp as DU's third-leading scorer.

Not sure what you are talking about

2021-22 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

12/19/2021 7:06 pm  #35

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Looks like a mismatch; hope the Dukes play their best game of the year. Even then it might just be enough for another loss. This looks like the best team they’ve played.

levon, agreed. Shame this game is being played at Akron with no streaming as Simms pointed out. But it looks like Uncle LeBron sent the team a new shipment of shoes - https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1471944433004384256

UC Irvine is not a very good offensive team, but defensively they are top notch - holding their opponents to ridiculously low shooting percentages. I think the Dukes are going to need an exceptional shooting performance (paging Jackie Johnson) today to pull off the upset.

Duquesne played a very good game today when some in the media thought they were going to lose badly.  Kudos to them– even though the Dukes already played many better teams so far. I’ve been enthusiastically supporting the Dukes since I was a freshman at DUQ and we lost to Bob Robertson and Cincinnati  in 1959 by 3 points
Was stirred by the players in the twitter locker-room video.  While I’m not going to throw cold water on an enthusiastic win today and what appears to be an improving team!  I’ve  grown to really like these guys.  However from my standpoint I feel morally obligated to point out that in my opinion the Dukes are unwittingly being ‘used’ by Labron James &  Nike [in the widely supported belief that Nike is utilizing slave labor (Uyghurs) in China to manufacture their expensive shoes for exportation around the world].   This is not a political statement on my part.  In the belief of many around the world, this is a known atrocity, yet China (and James) blatantly continue promoting Nike despite being openly confronted about it.

12/19/2021 7:08 pm  #36

Website now fixed.

12/19/2021 7:41 pm  #37

kcc173 wrote:

Does anyone know why Tre only played 11 minutes?

He got hurt.   Didn’t say why.   

Nice win.  Was not expecting that.

12/19/2021 9:12 pm  #38

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about

2021-22 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

It was like that for 90 minutes or so after the game. I sent an email to the SID'S office.

12/19/2021 9:49 pm  #39

Hello gigsr.  Sometimes I think I’m the oldest guy and then a guy like you comes along.  Wasn’t Bob Robertson actually Oscar Robinson?  An all time great. Finished up winning the NBA with Micky Davis.  Oh well, our brand has certainly sunk.  Duquesne was Pittsburgh’s only winner for some time.   I wouldn’t say that Duquesne was the Gonzaga of that era, they were, for decades, the better.

12/19/2021 11:25 pm  #40

Mike,  you are quite right-- it was Oscar Robertson.  At my age I sometimes get the names jumbled! (Bob Robertson was a 1st baseman for the Pirates).

In any case I was at the Duq- Cincinnati game at the Pitt Fieldhouse (sellout crowd of 5800 going nuts) and I believe Cinci was near the top in the country against the lowly Dukes.  George Brown guarded All American Oscar Robertson and held him to his lowest total (13) for the year - scoring 18 himself -- and Cinci barely eeking out a 61-58 victory.  That year the Dukes were 5-16 having only 9 players -- including 2 injured for the major part of the season.  I have a photo in the yearbook of Robertson being guarded by Frank Grebowski in that game.   

12/20/2021 8:49 am  #41

phil95 wrote:

That was a really nice win.

I am disgusted not to have seen it. Surely, somebody was there recording that can post extended highlights somewhere.

Tre & Primo, best wishes for quick healing. 

Earlier this week it was asked who could take a game over. AYERS can!

Ayers is a great get for this program. At times he disappears or simply doesn't have a good shooting game but has the most big scoring games with 20 or more points for us. At least that is my perception without looking anything up.
With a bit more consistency, LA could be our overall best. His defense seemed to be coming along as well but of course have no idea how he played defensively today. Glad he's a Duke!

12/20/2021 9:14 am  #42

Big win. The Ant Eaters beat Pepperdine U by 40. Recently Just took USC at the Trojans home court to the end.If Coach Dambrot can use this win as a jumping board we all should no longer focus on the preseason loses. The last 40 years at Duquesne generally resulted in a mid February downturn with a total flameout in March. If this young team keeps improving in conference play can’t wait until next year. 👍 Very positive effort  by the players and coaching staff. Keep the wins coming. Go Dukes

12/20/2021 10:04 am  #43

Ironduke81 wrote:

Big win. The Ant Eaters beat Pepperdine U by 40. Recently Just took USC at the Trojans home court to the end.If Coach Dambrot can use this win as a jumping board we all should no longer focus on the preseason loses. The last 40 years at Duquesne generally resulted in a mid February downturn with a total flameout in March. If this young team keeps improving in conference play can’t wait until next year. 👍 Very positive effort  by the players and coaching staff. Keep the wins coming. Go Dukes

Agree completely Ironduke81. There is indeed reason for optimism. This program is light years beyond what we have seen around here for much of the past 40 years or so. As has been stated here by me and others, it only takes one big time player to turn a team like we have right now into a top 25 team. Give me a 6-10 250 lb big who has good inside moves and can put the ball in the hoop and I'll show you a sweet sixteen basketball team right here on the bluff!

12/20/2021 1:56 pm  #44

Great post Iron Duke, I agree completely, but as the Professor does say "time will tell"......

12/20/2021 2:00 pm  #45

And El P you are right about adding a quality big for next year.

12/24/2021 12:17 pm  #46

PistolPete wrote:

And El P you are right about adding a quality big for next year.

In fact, if this coaching staff is unable to bring at least one big (6-9 or taller) on board next season who can come in and play,  I will have some serious doubts as to our ability to reach the top of the A-10. I'm not saying that we can't win with what we have but we all know what we truly need to compete at the highest level. Let's get it done and GO DUKES!

12/24/2021 2:51 pm  #47

I was at the game against Oscar Robertson.  Duquesne never took the lead, but they kept within seven.  The final was 61-58.  It snowed like heck that night.  Did not think I'd make the game.  Couldn't get up the hill to the Pitt Field House (was it De Soto Drive?).  Someone let me park in a lot halfway up.  It's funny. Cincinnati never won the NCAA's with Oscar.  He graduated and they went to the title game three straight years and won twice.  Only Loyola of Chicago, who had beaten Duquesne in the NIT the year before, could beat Cincinnati.  And that took overtime! 

12/24/2021 7:48 pm  #48

Great to have guys on this board who remember the Dukes and Cincinnati and the Big O from 1959. I graduated from Duquesne 10 years later and at 13 years old just barely remember hearing something about that game and Oscar Robertson. He was one of my favorite players when I followed the NBA. Quite the player along with folks like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Bill Russell, Wilt, and the like. Great days. Somehow i lost my zeal for the pro game but can't get enough of college ball and March Madness! 

Board footera