Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2021 12:42 pm  #1

Optimism!

Glad to see some optimism on this board over the last 24 hours.  I am with the believers.  We have now seen the potential of this team - we just need consistency.  I always thought the effort was there each game but now maybe they are figuring out the scheme.  And everything looks better when the shots are falling.  A couple of thoughts:

1. I am really concerned that if Tre misses a significant amount of time the season could be doomed.  If it was minor, I'm glad KD never put him back in - the more rest the better.  But along those lines, should we read anything into the fact the Dukes played their best 30 minutes of ball all season when Tre wasn't on the floor?  The offense sure seemed more fluid.  

2.  I think KD needs to find a permanent place for Acuff in the lineup and let him spread his wings.  The 6th man/PG/SG role needs to stop. I love the Freshman guards and they should continue to see plenty of PT but Acuff is the most ready to go toe to toe with the A-10 backcourts coming up. My new favorite rotation: PG - Acuff, SG Ayers, SF Okani, PF Easley, C - Tre Williams.  Mix and match from there - plenty of bench production but I like those 5 in those spots.

12/20/2021 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Optimism!

Fair point Styles and I love Acuff's game thus far this year and his overall development.  Remember he was starting to come on last year as the goofy season unfolded.  That being said, he does provide a steady hand and dynamic spark off the bench.

12/20/2021 2:10 pm  #3

Styles1229 wrote:

Glad to see some optimism on this board over the last 24 hours.  I am with the believers.  We have now seen the potential of this team - we just need consistency.  I always thought the effort was there each game but now maybe they are figuring out the scheme.  And everything looks better when the shots are falling.  A couple of thoughts:

1. I am really concerned that if Tre misses a significant amount of time the season could be doomed.  If it was minor, I'm glad KD never put him back in - the more rest the better.  But along those lines, should we read anything into the fact the Dukes played their best 30 minutes of ball all season when Tre wasn't on the floor?  The offense sure seemed more fluid.  

2.  I think KD needs to find a permanent place for Acuff in the lineup and let him spread his wings.  The 6th man/PG/SG role needs to stop. I love the Freshman guards and they should continue to see plenty of PT but Acuff is the most ready to go toe to toe with the A-10 backcourts coming up. My new favorite rotation: PG - Acuff, SG Ayers, SF Okani, PF Easley, C - Tre Williams.  Mix and match from there - plenty of bench production but I like those 5 in those spots.

I agree that TA needs as much PT as KD can get him. Overall maybe our best all around guard. Hope Tre is back in there for the Wofford game but please no more 3's! Don't know where Tre got the idea that he was a 3 point shooter but he is not and will only cost us big time by throwing those up. Like what I'm seeing from Rotroff too. Hard worker. I don't generally get too excited after a win or too down after a loss but I am very optimistic that the team is on the cusp of finding itself. Plenty of season left to make good. GO DUKES!

12/20/2021 6:14 pm  #4

PistolPete wrote:

Fair point Styles and I love Acuff's game thus far this year and his overall development.  Remember he was starting to come on last year as the goofy season unfolded.  That being said, he does provide a steady hand and dynamic spark off the bench.

Acuff is reminding me of a young AJ. Not only in the way he plays but also his size and the way he moves around the court.

12/21/2021 12:46 pm  #5

El P I am with you as to Tre shooting 3's - not the recipe for success, just look at the percentages.  What was troubling was hearing Coach Thomas saying Rotroof played well, but he would have liked to see him shoot the open 3's.  Are you serious Coach????? I love the way AR has played the last couple of games and he can really, really make a difference for this team if he continue like this, but encouraging our only legit true big to shoot 3's makes no sense when we need him to continue to bang, score, rebound and defend from down low.  I am also really liking TA game as well Wash Pa.  PISTOL OUT!!!

12/21/2021 1:37 pm  #6

AR opened his career at DU knocking down 3s.   That seems like forever ago.

12/21/2021 3:30 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

AR opened his career at DU knocking down 3s.   That seems like forever ago.

Good Memory Kid, he did knock down some threes in one of his early games for the Dukes and looked very promising, but injuries have held him back.  He had a pretty nice shot from three-point range if I recall correctly. 

12/21/2021 4:18 pm  #8

Believe AR had 3 3's against William & Mary in his opening game. Was there and remember thinking where did this kid come from? He can be a big factor in the Dukes' success moving forward.

12/21/2021 7:20 pm  #9

Agree with you guys and I think I lean towards Pistol on this one! I remember the Pittsnogle kid from WVU a few years back and while I hope he's confident enough to take an open 3 to the extent that opens things up sometimes,  I ultimately want him banging first

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (12/21/2021 7:27 pm)

12/21/2021 7:49 pm  #10

El Presidente wrote:

Believe AR had 3 3's against William & Mary in his opening game. Was there and remember thinking where did this kid come from? He can be a big factor in the Dukes' success moving forward.

Austin was 3-3 from 3 in his first college game against William and Mary. I thought the Dukes had their own Larry Bird. He has not made one since…. 0-7. This is one of the odder stats you will come across.

12/21/2021 9:17 pm  #11

If AR is a big factor for us moving forward, it needs to be predominantly in the paint. I have no problem with an occasional three attempt because he proved that he could make them but the value of a big is around the hoop as we all know. Really great to see Austin gaining more confidence in his game. I look for improvement at the charity stripe as well. He is a better foul shooter that TW in spite of the current numbers. Glad to have them both!

Board footera