Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2022 5:51 pm  #1

Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

12:00pm EST tip on Saturday 01/08/2022 at the Mullins Center, Amherst, MA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #197 (5-7) vs University of Massachusetts Minutemen #138 (7-6; 0-1 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 78-72 - Dukes with 28% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 5 point underdogs; Over/Under 148
Duquesne 5-7 Against the Spread: UMass 7-6 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): UC Irvine (107); Bradley (143); New Hampshire (204)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (198); Bowling Green (166)
UMass Best Win(s): Penn St. (72); Rutgers (93)
UMass Worst Loss(es): Ball St. (267); Northeastern (198)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at UMass for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Effective FG % (26); Turnover % (29); FT Rate (58);  
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: None
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (332); Offensive Rebound % (268)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Turnover % (39); Offensive Rebound % (62)
Offensive Weakness: Effective FG % (269); FT Rate (259)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (33)
Defensive Weakness: Effective FG % (267); Offensive Rebound % (262)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
UMass Adj Offense Efficiency - 117.7; 29 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.2; 221 in D-1
UMass Adj Defense Efficiency - 109.1; 317 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 101.9; 182 in D-1
UMass Adj Tempo - 69.4; 133 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.4; 290 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - UMass 2.16 yrs; 111 in D-1; Dukes 0.78 yrs; 354 in D-1
Average Height - UMass 76.5"; 250 in D-1; Dukes 77.2"; 132 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 215th in the country.
UMass is 174th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=249&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/07/2022 10:52 pm)

1/08/2022 9:32 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

Thanks Phoenix.  Here is a PSN article.  Love Dambrot's comments on Jackie Johnson.  Go Dukes!

Keith Dambrot and Duquesne Battle COVID, Ready To Start A-10 Schedule - Pittsburgh Sports Now

1/08/2022 10:06 am  #3

Tim Benz doing the radio call today in Ray's stead.  Tim says Ray should be back though.  I wish he would have said "will be back" instead of "should be back."  I'll be watching on ESPN+.

Let's Go DUKES!!!!!!

1/08/2022 11:56 am  #4

The radio broadcast just played Ray's pre-game interview with KD.....for the Marshall game. They cut it off & went back to Benz & Jarret without acknowledgment.

Was that an accident or the plan? These things are so amateurish.

1/08/2022 12:12 pm  #5

I guess we’re not the only team having trouble putting butts in the seats. I think fans are allowed at this game, but there’s few enough of them that I can’t be sure.

1/08/2022 12:26 pm  #6

I’m much less critical of Tim and Ellis than most here. It is funny to regularly hear opponent’s crews more complimentary than the home crew though. This time I have to wonder how much of it is just listening to the opposing coach’s nice words to build up the opponent. Dukes beating guys off the dribble 1-5?

Whether it’s true or not it did immediately remind me how unlike a typical Dambrot team this is. The silver lining is that he’s not trying to force a square peg into around hole to fit his system like some coaches do. Regardless I can’t help but wonder if it is an actual change in philosophy or merely out of necessity because of recruiting struggles.

1/08/2022 12:31 pm  #7

So far… same old Duquesne. If they don’t change some offensive sets for the second half… another loss. Come on guys!!!!!!

1/08/2022 12:32 pm  #8

I tried but turned it off at the 12 minute time out.   I’ll check in the 2nd half to see if anyone can make shots.  ✌🏼

1/08/2022 12:40 pm  #9

Well the offense is still the polar opposite of Dambrot’s norm, but the defensive intensity finally showed up. UMass is a legitimately high powered offense and we’ve clearly got them uncomfortable right now. Hopefully we can keep it up and get some shots to fall.

1/08/2022 12:48 pm  #10

Some rust was to be expected after three weeks off. Good finish to the half though. If they’re going to keep talking they better keep backing it up. Coach won’t like it either way. Some guys live on it though, and as long as they back it up I’m fine with it.

Last edited by luckymcd (1/08/2022 12:49 pm)

1/08/2022 1:56 pm  #11

I wont watch first halves anymore.  Buy your ncaa tourn tickets now.   😁😁

1/08/2022 1:56 pm  #12

How about that Jackie Johnson???

1/08/2022 1:56 pm  #13

Great Win! - Rotroff and JJ clutch!!!!!

1/08/2022 1:58 pm  #14

Had 'em all the way!!  GO DUKES!!

1/08/2022 2:05 pm  #15

Impressive win.
i thought at half-based on score and stats-another
typical loss.
Great defense and Mass couldn't stop JJ who made clutch shots.
On to Fordham.

1/08/2022 2:09 pm  #16

That was a very nice road win against a talented team while coming in as an underdog.  Keeping the turnovers down & the awesome crunch-time scoring were most noteworthy to me. Nice, in-game adjustment from KD too. 

What an impressive return from the lay-off!

1/08/2022 2:16 pm  #17

Just a great all around win.  Love KD's defensive adjustment when they were down 10 in the first half with the full court pressure and blitzing the the ball on the perimeter..  Really changed the game.  Everybody seemed to contribute in this one.  Of course JJ and Rotroff but Primo really hit some assassin-esque jumpers late to keep the cushion at 4-6 points.  And all 7 of Ayers points were at crucial times.  Primo and JJ will continue to push each other and I think it will make both of them better.  I love Acuff as the 6th man on this team.  With Easley and Tre too?!?  I've never seen a Dukes Team with so many scoring options!  They keep playing tough defense and they can beat em all.  We've seen what it looks like when they don't play defense - hope we've seen the last of that.

1/08/2022 2:28 pm  #18

Nice win.  We’re one big man away from a solid team.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/08/2022 2:35 pm  #19

Adjustments by Dambrot, buy in from everybody, response to adversity, clutch shots, it really was a good team win. Everybody played their part.

It seems like the three weeks off were put to good use on and off the court. The team that was on the floor the last 35 minutes of this one looks very different from the one we saw to begin through most of the non-conference season. The team seems to have come together during the layoff too (let’s just ignore that that could have caused the layoff).

I’m not saving up for NCAA tickets yet because it’s now a .500 team we just beat. They do have two wins over Big Ten teams though, one of them a blowout of Penn State where we just beat them. I sure feel a lot more optimistic about this young team than I did a month ago.

1/08/2022 3:23 pm  #20

coffee wrote:

Nice win. We’re one big man away from a solid team.

Absolutely agree. We will be competitive as is but we will not ever win an A-10 championship without that big. Doesn't have to be a superstar. Just protect the rim, get some rebounds and score 10 points a game. 
Has to be our top priority for next year.

1/08/2022 4:10 pm  #21

El Presidente wrote:

coffee wrote:

Absolutely agree. We will be competitive as is but we will not ever win an A-10 championship without that big. Doesn't have to be a superstar. Just protect the rim, get some rebounds and score 10 points a game. 

Do you mean another big man that does those things? Tre Williams checks the boxes you listed. 

Assuming the vast majority of this year's squad returns, the top of my wish list starts with a 6'10" or better super-long big with multiple years of eligibility left, good hands, that can play next to Tre for 12 minutes a game, averages at least 8 & 7, blocks shot, & makes his FTs. 

1/08/2022 4:51 pm  #22

El Presidente wrote:

coffee wrote:

Our two centers combined in 43 minutes for 8 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks and only 1 turnover. I’ll take that consistent stat line, which is almost exactly what you are wishing for.

48 points from our freshman guards.

The defense was impressive from the last 8 minutes of the first half and solid early in the 2nd half. Forced enough turnovers to end up with 10 more FG attempts vs UMass.

UMass kept themselves in the game with 10 more FT attempts Ryan the Dukes, going 19-20 from the line vs the Dukes going 9-10.

Really nice league road win for the team.

1/08/2022 4:58 pm  #23

Nice win!
On the road after that layoff.
Excellent job by the players and staff.

1/08/2022 4:59 pm  #24

What i'd like to see is Tre at the 4 and another bigger 5 here. I do agree that today we did pretty well at the 5 especially rebounding.

1/08/2022 6:29 pm  #25

Austin Rotroff is the People's Choice for the 21st century.  

Board footera