Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2022 2:54 pm  #26

Re: Where are all you Dambrot believers

pressurecooker wrote:

I support the coach. Calling him a con artist is inappropriate because it demeans his character, which he does not deserve. Clearly he is trying his best. The loss on Saturday stings, so it is easy to jump on him now. I agree that there are areas that need improvement. Our offense lacked flow especially when compared to the Flyers. We need at least one big if not two. Our young players need to mature. That said, there is a nucleus here that can lead to a good team in the A10 with some additions. I believe most have made up their minds on this issue so the debate is probably not worthwhile.

Every year there is a mass exodus.   Maybe its time to ask why?   What has stayed the same on the team since Mike Lewis left?   Right now, I wouldnt be surprised if the entire roster up and left after this season.   Why stay?

1/17/2022 3:59 pm  #27

stew wrote:

Duquesne younger alumni arent interested in basketball,most students dont care and players feel unappreciated.It would be challenging for any coach to come to Duquesne and win.

I completely agree with the above. When I was in school "only" 50 some years ago, many more students attended the games. It was free entertainment with tickets included in enrollment for all the home games as I remember it. I imagine that is still the case. KD had 2 back to back winning seasons with 19 and 21 wins respectively. Were there tons of students in attendance? Not that I can recall. Sure there were a few games with good student attendance but mostly not so much. Why? Whose fault is it? Do we blame Dambrot, Harper, the prez? I really don't know if it's anyone's fault. As far as the alumni are concerned most have given up or have taken a wait and see attitude. If things get better they will probably shell out some bucks and attend some games. That's where winning will pay off the most. As for the student body, I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that it won't get much better here anytime soon. Wish I could muster a bit more optimism but I'm fresh out as concerns student support of this team. I'm not sure if the Dukes were ranked in the top 25 that we would see a huge influx of students at the games. Truly hope I'm wrong about this but not convinced otherwise at this point in time. Attending games just doesn't seem to be the cool thing to do on campus. It just doesn't appear to be part of the student culture these days. Can it change? Let's hope so because without the student support the basketball program is doomed to be just what it is as athletes migrate to schools where the atmosphere is way different with thousands of students packing arenas.
In any case let's hope for the best and ..LET'S GO DUKES!!

1/17/2022 9:38 pm  #28

Near the end of Ferry’s days more and more fans become disgruntled.  The students stopped coming and the adults, who make up most of the crowd then began to stay away. It didn’t get as bad as Danny Nee days but it was getting obvious that support was slowly waning.

If the Bonnies blow us out Friday night, they will have lost the students and the decline of the adults will begin.  The question will be… how bad will it get.  And we have next year to get through with a coach who may be better than Ferry, but not by much. Everything is in Dambrots hands. The University has been there for the program since he arrived.

1/17/2022 10:09 pm  #29

Agree that coaches should have been very clear as to their directions to foul; but probably not immediately.  The time to foul was when Spears was bodying on the guy just before he hit the three-point arc on the court.  Spears took a swipe but too late.  At that point they have run down the clock and need to inbound the ball and you can set up your defense.

1/17/2022 10:12 pm  #30

El Presidente wrote:

stew wrote:

Duquesne younger alumni arent interested in basketball,most students dont care and players feel unappreciated.It would be challenging for any coach to come to Duquesne and win.

I completely agree with the above. When I was in school "only" 50 some years ago, many more students attended the games. It was free entertainment with tickets included in enrollment for all the home games as I remember it. I imagine that is still the case. KD had 2 back to back winning seasons with 19 and 21 wins respectively. Were there tons of students in attendance? Not that I can recall. Sure there were a few games with good student attendance but mostly not so much. Why? Whose fault is it? Do we blame Dambrot, Harper, the prez? I really don't know if it's anyone's fault. As far as the alumni are concerned most have given up or have taken a wait and see attitude. If things get better they will probably shell out some bucks and attend some games. That's where winning will pay off the most. As for the student body, I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that it won't get much better here anytime soon. Wish I could muster a bit more optimism but I'm fresh out as concerns student support of this team. I'm not sure if the Dukes were ranked in the top 25 that we would see a huge influx of students at the games. Truly hope I'm wrong about this but not convinced otherwise at this point in time. Attending games just doesn't seem to be the cool thing to do on campus. It just doesn't appear to be part of the student culture these days. Can it change? Let's hope so because without the student support the basketball program is doomed to be just what it is as athletes migrate to schools where the atmosphere is way different with thousands of students packing arenas.
In any case let's hope for the best and ..LET'S GO DUKES!!

This has been true in the past; but the students have shown an interest and come out in decent numbers for games; but the team hasn’t done enough to keep them coming back.

1/18/2022 8:43 am  #31

Levon, I will take your word on that since I have not been to the Coop since the start of COVID. Just going by what other posters have expressed on this board and what I've seen going back a couple of years. Thanks.

1/18/2022 10:12 am  #32

DU offering $5K scholarship to students for the best dressed fan Friday night.   Right now you have a 1 in 12 chance of winning.   I think i read 500 t shirts will be given away too.   So at least the university is trying.   

Last edited by townsonkid (1/18/2022 10:13 am)

1/18/2022 12:14 pm  #33

One of my favorite quotes is... "Everything yields to diligence." A fellow by the name of Antiphanes said this many, many centuries ago. I do believe it to be true. Whatever one puts their mind to can be accomplished with enough persistence and diligence.
Truly hoping that Duquesne U. has that mindset as relates to the basketball program.
This program truly requires it!

1/18/2022 1:49 pm  #34

townsonkid wrote:

DU offering $5K scholarship to students for the best dressed fan Friday night.   Right now you have a 1 in 12 chance of winning.   I think i read 500 t shirts will be given away too.   So at least the university is trying.   

I'm assuming the $5k scholarship thing is a joke right?

1/19/2022 8:34 am  #35

How about the fact that the university population is now 60+% female. While my daughter was a student 10yrs ago she had little interest especially in a losing program.

1/19/2022 8:42 am  #36

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

No joke, its on the DU athletics twitter feed.   Best dressed fan, red and blue outfit, face paint, signs, whatever.   

Last edited by townsonkid (1/19/2022 8:48 am)

1/19/2022 8:45 am  #37

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

No joke, its on the twitter feed.   Best dressed fan, red and blue outfit, face paint, signs, whatever.   

I think this certainly qualifies as "doing something to get the students involved.'  If my kid was a student there you better believe we'd be working on an outfit all week.

1/19/2022 8:46 am  #38

The Dome wrote:

How about the fact that the university population is now 60+% female. While my daughter was a student 10yrs ago she had little interest especially in a losing program.

That's a good point.  In the words of Johnny Carson, "I did not know that."

1/19/2022 4:55 pm  #39

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

No joke, its on the twitter feed.   Best dressed fan, red and blue outfit, face paint, signs, whatever.   

I think this certainly qualifies as "doing something to get the students involved.'  If my kid was a student there you better believe we'd be working on an outfit all week.

Duquesne Athletics on Twitter: "🚨 SCHOLARSHIP ALERT 🚨 Hey @duqedu students! 👋 It’s your chance to win a $5,000 scholarship! Follow the rules 👇 to win! ☑️Cheer on @DuqMBB at their game on Friday, January 21 ☑️Wear red ☑️Be the craziest, loudest, most spirited fan! #GoDukes https://t.co/8WLvb57XR1" / Twitter

1/19/2022 5:04 pm  #40

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

No joke, its on the DU athletics twitter feed.   Best dressed fan, red and blue outfit, face paint, signs, whatever.   

Gotta hand it to some one in the ‘marketing department!’   Didn’t know they had one…  

Might behoove you guys to jazz up your dress and move over to the student section…. Competition in the stands on Friday???   Maybe!!!!  Bona might win that one too. 

1/19/2022 5:10 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Duquesne Athletics on Twitter: "🚨 SCHOLARSHIP ALERT 🚨 Hey @duqedu students! 👋 It’s your chance to win a $5,000 scholarship! Follow the rules 👇 to win! ☑️Cheer on @DuqMBB at their game on Friday, January 21 ☑️Wear red ☑️Be the craziest, loudest, most spirited fan! #GoDukes https://t.co/8WLvb57XR1" / Twitter

I'm relieved to know this isn't a hoax. If it was I could see Duquesne suing the misinformer for $5000.

Remember when Bob Prince first said if Willie Stargell hit a home run he would "spread some chicken on the hill"--give away food from his chicken restaurant in the Hill District?  So Willie does hit a home run and all these people show up for free chicken. Bob Prince was sent the bill. 

1/19/2022 5:45 pm  #42

Pretty funny thing! I believe the deal was that if you were in the restaurant when Willie hit a homer the chicken was free. Well, Prince left out that part and folks came running from everywhere for the chicken.

Board footera