Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2022 10:26 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (A)

I've noticed a few postings related to the Ladies Team/Game have shown up in this posting --  A few points I would like to bring up

Last night's game WAS a clunker -  Probably their worst shooting night of the season BUT

Dayton is the class of the league on the women's side -- Fordham is one of the better teams year in year out --  The Dayton game was on the road --  with two minutes to go --  Both were winnable.

Their has been a lot of mention how much the men's team could have used Gunn and the loss of Rotroff and how it affects them --  The women have played the whole season without THREE possible contributors (Wasylon, Bragg and Westphal)  Kalin was able to play only two games before going on inactive status --  Wonder if Bovell and Sole are 100% or playing through injuries??  I KNOW "injuries are part of the game"  BUT I WONDER IF JOE BLFSPK (the character in Lil Abner who had the black cloud above his head)  HAS BEEN HANGING AROUND THE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM!!!

The two players they have signed for next year at least had some offers from comparable schools at this level -  (Pistol had inquired about the two commitments on the men's side -- they gave their commitments AFTER the signing point so they have NOT signed Letters of Intent at this time.

I think going forward at least there is a window there that the women can get back near the top of the League.

2/10/2022 10:28 am  #27

I'm so greatly disappointed in what I've been seeing in particular this year. Last year was a pass for me and in the first 3 years there seemed to be good progress with the program. I'm ready to turn the page on this. While I do not believe that our long term basketball future hangs in the balance, I do believe that a change is necessary for most all the reasons that have been articulated previously. The record is the record. We are starting to look like Danny Nee's last year and it can't get any worse than that! I will continue to watch and root for these players but it's getting pretty tough to do so. Can we ever get it right here!?!?

Last edited by El Presidente (2/10/2022 10:30 am)

2/10/2022 12:47 pm  #28

If the team loses out or wins 1 more game can KD possibly keep his job?

What are the possible reasons why Primo's selfish play doesn't get him yanked like all of the other players?

2/10/2022 1:18 pm  #29

CLK again you hit the nail on the head - this is on KD - who has lost the ability to connect with today's college player.  Styles thanks for that bit of intel, much appreciated, and Phil I have been saying the same thing about Primo.  He has some talent, but he is not getting the team moving and participating like a PG should - to much 1 on 1.  Iron Duke I watched the game last night and I was throwing my hands in the air when hearing the announcers saying what we have known for a while now - "no offensive movement" and "you are not going to beat Dayton going one on one".  I also saw the article in the Trib this morning where KD said Tre is playing out of position and we need a center and two guards with length.  No shi Sherlock, you knew about the lack of a true center heading into this year and yet you didn't recruit one and you still don't play Hima enough when the season is already down the toilet.  As to the 2 guards you reference you need, well that tells me you miscalculated on Ayers as he hasn't got it done and for some mysterious reason you figured you would rely on not 1, but 2 freshman PG's!!!  Again, one seasoned PG and one Center should have been part of last year's recruiting class and the fact is KD just missed on Ayers it seems to me.

2/10/2022 1:31 pm  #30

A couple of quotes from Dambrot which were listed in the latest Trib article -

“We’re just too small, and we don’t have enough playmaking abilities,” Dambrot said. 

“We need a couple of skilled guys in the backcourt — long, skilled guys — and we need a center. That would free up some of the others to play in their natural positions.”

Gee.. ya think?  How did he misjudge his picks from the transfer portal so badly?  It would sure be nice to have a Marcus Weathers who put up 27 points against Wichita in a recent game... or even a Tydus Verhoeven (remember him?) who is now 6'9" and 235 and just put up 14 Pts, 13 Reb, 3 A and 2 Blk against Florida International.  And, that doesn't include Williams, Baker, Harris or Kelly who seemed pretty long and had some skills.  But, you could not win with them because they didn't have the right 'attitude'.  Well, maybe it's the coach's attitude that needs to change.  

Last edited by indygjm (2/10/2022 1:38 pm)

2/10/2022 4:07 pm  #31

indygjm wrote:

A couple of quotes from Dambrot which were listed in the latest Trib article -

“We’re just too small, and we don’t have enough playmaking abilities,” Dambrot said. 

“We need a couple of skilled guys in the backcourt — long, skilled guys — and we need a center. That would free up some of the others to play in their natural positions.”

Gee.. ya think?  How did he misjudge his picks from the transfer portal so badly?  It would sure be nice to have a Marcus Weathers who put up 27 points against Wichita in a recent game... or even a Tydus Verhoeven (remember him?) who is now 6'9" and 235 and just put up 14 Pts, 13 Reb, 3 A and 2 Blk against Florida International.  And, that doesn't include Williams, Baker, Harris or Kelly who seemed pretty long and had some skills.  But, you could not win with them because they didn't have the right 'attitude'.  Well, maybe it's the coach's attitude that needs to change.  

KD also said Dayton just has better players than DU?  Who's fault is that? Didn't we pay him a million a year to recruit top players? 

2/10/2022 4:23 pm  #32

Excellent points Indy and Napa - couldn't agree more!!  Question, Indy who is the Williams you are referring to as I can't remember?

2/10/2022 4:33 pm  #33

PistolPete wrote:

Excellent points Indy and Napa - couldn't agree more!!  Question, Indy who is the Williams you are referring to as I can't remember?

Pistol - Eric Williams, Jr. Another one of our gottaways...

Board footera