Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2013 3:37 pm  #1

Some quick thoughts

Ovie Soko is a good player.  He'll certainly be our go to guy. 

I liked what I saw of the new players.  I think we have indeed improved our talent level.

Dominique McKoy looked good and should get plenty of minutes.  If they can work well together, he and Soko could be a nice pair in the front court.  McKoy also has the best hair the team has seen in many years.

Tra'Vaugn White will score points.  He can drive and get shots off, and even though they weren't falling today, he'll be able to score and get to the line often.

I liked Desmond Ridenour's hustle, L.G. Gill looked alright and Darius Lewis looks better than I thought he'd be.  He reminded me of James McDonald a bit.

Colter and Jeremiah Jones both played well.

I have no idea why Jerry Jones did not suit up.

At halftime I mentioned that we will be in for a long season if we're giving up 35 points to Clarion in a half, no matter what the pace of the game was.  We then let them score 53 in the second half.

We'll be better this year than last, but we're in for another tough one, Dukes fans.

11/02/2013 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Some quick thoughts

VBC Ray Goss said Jones sat out today due to unspecified violation of team rules, and will also sit out the opener next week. 

The Dukes gave up 88 points to a bad DII team.  There is a lot to work on.

11/02/2013 3:53 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

VBC Ray Goss said Jones sat out today due to unspecified violation of team rules, and will also sit out the opener next week. 

The Dukes gave up 88 points to a bad DII team.  There is a lot to work on.

Offense is way ahead of the defense but hopefully help is on the way. Looks like we won't be tossing up as many three's this year.

11/02/2013 4:24 pm  #4

JF said he shot a lot of three last year out of necessity, but that is not typical of his teams. 

box score

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110213aaa.html

11/02/2013 8:36 pm  #5

Ridenour had seven turnovers, Clarion blocked five of our shots, and we continue to shoot poorly from the FT line.

Oh, and we have no frontcourt depth. 

Long year? That's an understatement.

11/02/2013 9:21 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Ridenour had seven turnovers, Clarion blocked five of our shots, and we continue to shoot poorly from the FT line.

Oh, and we have no frontcourt depth. 

Long year? That's an understatement.

Ridenour isn't going to be a key player this year, so I'm not too worried about that. Any minutes he gets will have to be hard earned, and if sloppy play keeps him on the bench, we have solid options, especially if Mason is cleared. The frontcourt is another story. If we don't have Watkins or Robinson (preferrably both), it will indeed be a long year. These are our two key recruits, and are guys whom we are counting on to make a huge difference down the road.

11/03/2013 7:45 am  #7

We gave up 88 points to a mid-level D-II school. Imagine how many times we get torn a new one by a decent D-I program. 9 wins.

11/03/2013 5:20 pm  #8

CLK, I will presume you did not witness the exhibition game against Clarion.  I am also presuming some of the naysayers to the game didn't see the game either.  VBC was "quick" in his thoughts to notice these new things in our team and some things I've added, to-wit:  (1) We have large kids (6'8" or better) who can acutally catch the ball and run and chew gum at the same time; (2) We have a coach who actually used three "bigs" at the same time in the same line-up; (3) We have a coach who double high-posted two "bigs" coupled with double low-posted guards on the wing with a PG to create layups; (4) The expectation was that we should have beaten Clarion by 40 points; Well, we did-in the paint- (72-32); (5) when was the last time any Duquesne team scored 72 points let alone 72 in the paint against anybody.  (6) I told this board McKoy is and was a D-1 forward at the 4-He clearly showed how and why he posted double doubles in scoring and rebounding at a pretty decent JUCO program; It's a damn shame the negative nabobs on this board have to piss on a team effort generated without the benefit of four scholarship players, who, when eligible, will average 20 minutes of playing time each (in my estimation and my humble opinion based on my having seen them over a period of time).  Sure Clarion is bad, but the team and the coaches did exactly what they should have.  For the life of me , I can't understand why some people just cant savor a small moment of progress. A final point as noted by Stephen Nesbitt in quoting Ferry is basically that the Dukes intend to score as many as they can with the idea and hope that the opposition, no matter who, doesn't score one more point than they do.

Last edited by grammudder (11/03/2013 5:24 pm)

11/03/2013 6:08 pm  #9

Let's just see what happens as the season progresses. Just about everybody on this board knows or should know that a small sampling of play in a few games means virtually nothing and is almost useless for the purpose of predicting long term performance. Also useless are the shots taken at previous coaches.

11/03/2013 6:34 pm  #10

No Grammy, I do not live in Pittsburgh. I would have liked to have seen it video streamed but evidently the AD did not think it was important enough to stream it.   What does that have to do with my comment? 

Now if you were at the game, and I presume you were, how many easy transition baskets did Clarion get because the Dukes failed to get back after they scored? How many wide open three point shots did they have? These are things that need to be fixed.  I will say I did listened to much of the game and heard JF say in the post game that he was disappointed in the defensive effort and that the team had much to still work on.  I will add that he did say that being short handed he has not been able to work on some things like like handling the press.  

So in summary Clarion is not a good DII team, the Dukes gave up 88 points to them, there is much to work on.  You can disagree, but no need to call names.

Last edited by CLK (11/03/2013 6:36 pm)

11/03/2013 8:08 pm  #11

grammudder, beating Robert Morris would be progress. Beating a weak DII program is an exhibition game. I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative. We have a long way to go. I hope we get there. 

11/04/2013 6:51 am  #12

I would rather have these kids than the ones we had last year.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/04/2013 7:39 am  #13

That's bad form Phildog ... a parting shot at kids who pretty much knew going into the year that they didn't have a future here. I know you're trying to be positive about this year's team, but don't forget, "last year's kids" finished .500 the year before. I like the kids we have now too. I'd like to see the injured get healthy and I'd like the NCAA to get off its NCAA$$ and grant eligibility to Mason and Robinson. But I still think you have to give a young team the time to find its chemistry. For every "convincing blowout win" against one weak opponent, there's going to be a team we think we should beat that gives us the same kind of treatment this year. And I don't think we're ready to give Pitt, VMI, LaSalle, etc., much of a game yet. 

11/04/2013 10:31 am  #14

El D,
It's kinda like the Steelers, when your players aren't good enough you need to replace them.
8-22 with the ones who left meant they were not at the right place, not bad kids but sometime we all move on.
I didn't mean to sound like I took a shot at them, because they are just young men trying to find a place to succeed.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/04/2013 10:34 am  #15

VMI?  You mean VCU?  I agree that we are not capable of beating those teams, but if we get all of our guys healthy and eligible, we could be a pretty fair team by the end of the season.  LaSalle might be a possibility, depending on how they follow-up their Sweet 16 team of last year.  I'm sure they surprised a lot of people last year, and that won't be the case this season.

11/04/2013 11:28 am  #16

levon, I meant VCU, I just spell it differently. Sort of the way I spell (Rhymes with) Pitt differently sometimes.

Board footera