Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2022 4:52 pm  #1

Huge Day for DU Athletics!!

The selection show is on at 6!    We will soon know what schools DU witless host in the tournament.   The nation’s host.   What our athletic department does best.

Just think the DU logo will on a corner of the court.   I’m so proud of these great people who made this possible.

This will be the sixth time we have hosted since 1997.   So proud.   🥲

Last edited by A83 (3/13/2022 4:57 pm)

3/13/2022 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Huge Day for DU Athletics!!

I've been to some of those games and really lots of fun. Get to see teams and pep bands that we would not ordinarily see here in Pittsburgh. Sat near former LSU coach Dale Brown once and listened to him go on at length about Shaq who he, of course, coached there. Good time and some great games.

3/13/2022 6:54 pm  #3

Harper said in the PG that hosting the tournament is like having a second full time job.   Or for the people in Duquesne’s athletic department one actual full time job.

Last edited by A83 (3/13/2022 6:56 pm)

3/13/2022 7:29 pm  #4

I have a set of four tickets to Friday and Sunday's games.  I can't make it home due to my health issues. Anyone interested, please DM me.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/13/2022 8:58 pm  #5

As I recall, the last time Duquesne hosted the regionals, Arizona came in and stole Mc Connell.  Duquesne must be prepared so none of the host schools in this year's regionals steal any of our present players.  Be alerrt!

3/14/2022 8:10 am  #6

My fondest memory of the tourney games in Pittsburgh was watching Coppin State a 15 seed upset South Carolina a 2 seed and no. 6 in the country in '97. Coppin State was 30 point dogs. Coach Fang Mitchell - Fang's Bunch. Terquin Mott (LaSalle transfer) and Antoine Brockington - inside power and outside shooting. They had to borrow Morehead State's pep band. The entire Civic Arena started going nuts rooting for Coppin. Sadly, they were in it against Texas in the round of 32 but ultimately bowed out. Great memories.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/14/2022 9:40 am  #7

A83 wrote:

The selection show is on at 6!    We will soon know what schools DU witless host in the tournament.   The nation’s host.   What our athletic department does best.

Just think the DU logo will on a corner of the court.   I’m so proud of these great people who made this possible.

This will be the sixth time we have hosted since 1997.   So proud.   🥲

Hey at least Duquesne should get a paycheck. Yes it is frustrating but always take the fee for running this tournament.

3/14/2022 11:34 am  #8

Bilgy wrote:

As I recall, the last time Duquesne hosted the regionals, Arizona came in and stole Mc Connell.  Duquesne must be prepared so none of the host schools in this year's regionals steal any of our present players.  Be alerrt!

A couple of points in relation to your post Bilgy.  I don't believe hosting the tournament had anything to do with TJ going to Arizona.  I think the deal was set up early in the season when Duquesne played at Arizona.  I don't believe Arizona was actually one of the teams that came to Pittsburgh for the NCAA.  Duquesne actually hosted again since the year that TJ left.  I sat a few rows behind him at that tournament.  He was already on his way out the door by that time.

3/15/2022 8:46 pm  #9

Another piss on us and tell us it’s raining article

https://triblive.com/sports/how-hosting-ncaa-basketball-tournament-benefits-duquesne-and-pittsburgh/

These people are tone deaf.   They actually believe that hosting is better than participating.    I know I’m the lone wolf on not believing in Harper. Just like I was with predicting 6 wins.

Defend these comments with the situation the basketball program is in.    DU Athletics mission statement should be about athletics.  Not about tourism for the city of Pittsburgh.  Let Mayor Gainey be in charge of that. 

“I think it goes back to one of university’s missions, and that’s the health and vibrancy of the community,” said Harper. “Positioning our brand with arguably one of the most prominent championships in sports is fantastic.

“We can play that role, bring in the teams, bring in the visitors, and so, going back to the mission of the university, it’s just a perfect alignment and we enjoy doing it and want to do it as many times as we can.”

Last edited by A83 (3/15/2022 8:52 pm)

3/16/2022 8:48 am  #10

Good call on the 6 wins. Did not see that coming. BUT college athletics cost money to run both in equipment, coaching, scholarships & facilities. Duquesne is a PRIVATE Catholic institution. No taxpayer support. Harper has to say all that BS in the press conference. Bottom line Duquesne gets a fee which should help the bottom financial line. Do you want to hand this over to Bobby Mo?

3/16/2022 9:00 am  #11

"They actually believe that hosting is better than participating." Really? Where does it say that?

3/16/2022 9:00 am  #12

Duquesne does a great job at stuff like hosting the NCAAs.   I wish they did the same to build winning programs AT THE SCHOOL!   
They put a silk hat on a pig, expected Margot Robbie, and got Rosie O'Donnell.
Thats not good enough.

For those going this weekend, enjoy it.   Fighting Sister Jeans over ohio st!!!!   We all want it, we all need it!   PPG will seem like Columbus, OH, those folks travel.

3/16/2022 9:14 am  #13

KenOTR73 wrote:

My fondest memory of the tourney games in Pittsburgh was watching Coppin State a 15 seed upset South Carolina a 2 seed and no. 6 in the country in '97. Coppin State was 30 point dogs. Coach Fang Mitchell - Fang's Bunch. Terquin Mott (LaSalle transfer) and Antoine Brockington - inside power and outside shooting. They had to borrow Morehead State's pep band. The entire Civic Arena started going nuts rooting for Coppin. Sadly, they were in it against Texas in the round of 32 but ultimately bowed out. Great memories.

I was there too.  Great atmosphere.  The crowd really fed that team too.  I almost felt bad for SC.  Almost everybody in the building was against them

3/16/2022 9:17 am  #14

levon1975 wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

A couple of points in relation to your post Bilgy.  I don't believe hosting the tournament had anything to do with TJ going to Arizona.  I think the deal was set up early in the season when Duquesne played at Arizona.  I don't believe Arizona was actually one of the teams that came to Pittsburgh for the NCAA.  Duquesne actually hosted again since the year that TJ left.  I sat a few rows behind him at that tournament.  He was already on his way out the door by that time.

In Bilgy's defense, TJ is on the record saying that he watched those NCAA tournament games in person that year and realized he wanted to do that so he went somewhere that he could.  Who knows if that is TJ just telling a nice story but it is what he said.

3/16/2022 9:37 am  #15

No one agrees with me.   I don’t really care.  This is an athletic department that can’t build, support or promote a winning basketball program for 45 years. 

Just hosting events to help the bottom dollar is somehow supposed to be in alignment with the university’s goals.  They should have bake sales at the games then.   

Until RMU’s President pulled the rug from hockey they were a well run Athletic Department   Much smaller than DU.   Their success has allowed them to build better facilities than DU and move up in conferences.   Yes, hand it over to them.   

And build a mens basketball program that goes to the NCAA tournament.

3/16/2022 9:38 am  #16

Glad Harper is so excited about watching the NCAA up close n personal instead of having our teams participating…

To me, it is a big day or a nice time for Duquesne University to host the NCAA's.  IT WILL BE A HUGE DAY WHEN THE MEN'S OR WOMEN'S TEAM PARTICIPATES.

3/16/2022 12:24 pm  #17

Word is RMU is reinstating Men's and Women's Division I hockey next season.  I hope it is a very profitable venture for them.  Along with Penn State and Mercyhurst, there would be three Division I hockey programs in Pennsylvania.

3/16/2022 3:01 pm  #18

levon1975 wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

TJ was gone the year before. His Dad and Miller had it all planned long before anyone even had a thought. Stealing from Mid-Major is just like the minor leagues in baseball to the Pros.

3/16/2022 6:29 pm  #19

Is hosting the NCAA games a bad thing for the athletic department or just not as good a thing as accomplishing the core goal of creating a perennially strong A-10 men's basketball program?

If doing the NCAA thing raises serious money to achieve that core goal, isn't that a good thing?

(This assumes that the university's core goal is creating a perennially strong A-10 men's basketball program. That is a different debate.)

3/16/2022 7:25 pm  #20

phil95 wrote:

Is hosting the NCAA games a bad thing for the athletic department or just not as good a thing as accomplishing the core goal of creating a perennially strong A-10 men's basketball program?

If doing the NCAA thing raises serious money to achieve that core goal, isn't that a good thing?

(This assumes that the university's core goal is creating a perennially strong A-10 men's basketball program. That is a different debate.)

I have a tendency to beat topics into the ground so I don’t want to do that.  What we have done for the last 45 years has not worked.   Plain and simple. 

And anyone in the athletic department is quick to say hosting is like a second full time job.  They say that to anyone that will listen.

In case anyone has not noticed, they are not really great at their first full time job.  Mini basketball anyone?    Rider to open a new arena?   A savior coach whose program going into year 5 is worse than when it started?

What is wrong with a singular focus?   To make all DU sports teams the best they can be.  If this is how poor they do mens basketball their primary sport, imagine what they do with football, WBB, soccer, swimming?   Love to talk to those connected with those programs to hear their problems. 

If we need to host to keep the athletic department running, shut it down.   And if you notice In the media, they are always trying to defend why they host.  Always a reason.  This years was the absolute best that host aligns with the university’s mission statement.   That a crock of (profanity).

Last edited by A83 (3/16/2022 7:32 pm)

3/18/2022 10:50 pm  #21

If you found the ‘D’ logo on the court today, you get 1,000 pts.

3/18/2022 10:56 pm  #22

Townson, I thought the same thing. That “D” stands for dense. Their branding is terrible.  At least put Dukes under it. If folks don’t know who Duquesne is that “D” didn’t really help!!!

3/19/2022 7:37 am  #23

I found the D quite easily, thanks. What do I get with my 1,000 points?
You Duquesne maniacs are turning into a bunch of whiners.

3/19/2022 8:03 am  #24

Bilgy wrote:

Word is RMU is reinstating Men's and Women's Division I hockey next season.  I hope it is a very profitable venture for them.  Along with Penn State and Mercyhurst, there would be three Division I hockey programs in Pennsylvania.

It was apparently losing money at RMU to the point that they shut it down last year; so I don’t think the prognosis is very promising.  They did a lot of fundraising in the community and had some support from the Penguins to re-start the program; but I just don’t see it as a money-maker down the road.

3/19/2022 8:53 am  #25

Styles1229 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

I was there too.  Great atmosphere.  The crowd really fed that team too.  I almost felt bad for SC.  Almost everybody in the building was against them

What I remember was when the selections were announced, most fans were somewhat disappointed, as they were hoping to get Duke, or Kentucky or North Carolina as their top seed to see live. South Carolina? And then we got to see one of the biggest upsets ever, only the second 2-15 upset ever!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera