Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2022 12:33 pm  #26

Re: Tyson Acuff....

levon1975 wrote:

I wouldn’t overreact to the transfers to this point. Tyson has some shooting ability but other than knocking down the occasional three; just didn’t bring that much to the table. He often seemed lost on the floor on defense, never seemed comfortable.

Tyson was one of the best defenders on the team and shot one of if not the best 3 percentage on the team.  It was only occasional because Dambrot didn't play him much.  Tyson was no star but his loss means he will be replaced by another player that does not know the defensive system and we've all seen how long it takes these guys to learn it.  You need guys like Tyson to stay in the program to, at the very least, provide stability.  It seems we've reached the point where, if a guy is not a star in his first 10-20 games of his college career the consensus is to replace him.  Tyson still has 3 years of eligibility!?! The best teams have guys sticking around and it pays dividends when they are juniors or seniors.  Look at Richmond, St Bonaventure etc.  

4/04/2022 1:26 pm  #27

DennisC91 wrote:

So we just went 6-24, finishing dead last in the A10 with one conference win and finishing the season on a 17-game losing streak. We were one of the worst teams in all of college basketball in both field goal percentage and field goal percentage defense, including a shockingly bad second-worst in 3-PT FG defense. We were in the bottom 10 in assists per game. This season wasn't a fluke, it wasn't a succession of bad breaks, this was just a really inept roster of under-talented players who didn't fit well together. Ultimately, the coaching staff has to take the blame for assembling this roster, but it's hard for me to believe they just forgot how to coach or their whole system became outdated in the space of two years. So I'm afraid I'm not losing any sleep over any of these kids leaving. I wish them well, I hope they can be more successful wherever they end up, but I don't think running it back with the same team, just adding that elusive pass-first floor general and 6-9/6-10 kid who will give you 10 and 8 and lock down the paint every night (and of course, a healthy RJ Gunn) was going to be the answer. Nor do I have much faith in the current staff to find as many missing pieces as they need to turn things around in the space of a year. I mean, there's nowhere to go but up, but I'm pretty sure we'll be the odds-on favorite for 14th place next year regardless of who stays or goes. I'll pass on getting excited about any kid coming in until I see what they can actually do against A10 competition. 

Here is an interesting fact.  As of today there are over 1,100 D1 players in the portal, and not one of them have a "reported" offer from Duquesne.  There could be offers that have not surfaced on social media, but usually offers surface quickly.  There has been some interest expressed but who knows what that means.  Meanwhile, VCU got a commitment from a Michigan transfer and I believe it was Mason that got a commitment from Tennessee transfer. I have not even seen any interest expressed by DU in power 5 players.

I am trying to reserve judgement, but we are starting out with 3 commitments of which IMHO only one of them is an A10 caliber player.  All we as DU fans can do is hope that Dambrot and company turn this around.  If we get a quality Point Guard, and a couple of shooters, and at least another skilled big we have a chance to get to the middle of the pack next season if we hold on to the rest of our key players.  Hopefully maybe that will make it a little easier to hire a new coach.

BTW this coming weekend is going to be important for DU.  I am hearing a 6'10" player will be on official visit. Don't know who

4/04/2022 1:36 pm  #28

I can't say that Tyson ever stood out to me much for his defense, but I guess that's what happens when your team is statistically, one of the worst defensive teams in all of the NCAA, especially on the perimeter. He was indeed the best 3-pt shooter on the team, though didn't shoot much. He was fifth on the team in three pointers attempted just as he was fifth on the team in minutes per game. He couldn't create his own shot, nor did he have the kind of playmaking guards who could get him good looks. Your point about having continuity is well taken, I still think the biggest reason for this disastrous season was having nothing to show for the first three recruiting classes except a hobbled Austin Rotroff. And with Acuff and Okani gone, there's now nothing to show for the fourth recruiting class except Bekelja and Hima. But as we're going into year 6 of the coach's 7-year contract, I think that horse has left the barn. It's simply too late to wait for kids to develop and grow together as a team. They need more impact players on this roster who can make the team better next year, otherwise, this staff might not be back for the following year. Whether they can find such players is another question.

4/04/2022 5:01 pm  #29

CLK wrote:

Lol, you do that son.

Good answer!

4/04/2022 5:17 pm  #30

ghost wrote:

We are losing a talented player.

What is truly sad is that on a team desperately crying for someone , anyone to facilitate the half court offense, that in 2 years of working with Tyson the staff could not or would not turn him into such a player. With his shooting ability, defensive effort,  and ball handling skills ( at least in the limited times this aspect of his game was visible ) he should have / could have been a huge asset.

Oh well. Of all the words of tongue and pen the saddest are what might have been.

In my opinion you can’t just turn a player into a point guard at this point in his basketball life!  There is a certain amount of instinct along with the basic skills which he did not possess.  Ball-handling wasn’t a strong point in his game, and he just didn’t show the command on offense needed to be a lead guard.  Frankly, like many of his teammates he also struggled on defense.  Again, as always I wish him well in life on and off the court.

4/05/2022 9:15 am  #31

DennisC91 wrote:

I can't say that Tyson ever stood out to me much for his defense, but I guess that's what happens when your team is statistically, one of the worst defensive teams in all of the NCAA, especially on the perimeter. He was indeed the best 3-pt shooter on the team, though didn't shoot much. He was fifth on the team in three pointers attempted just as he was fifth on the team in minutes per game. He couldn't create his own shot, nor did he have the kind of playmaking guards who could get him good looks. Your point about having continuity is well taken, I still think the biggest reason for this disastrous season was having nothing to show for the first three recruiting classes except a hobbled Austin Rotroff. And with Acuff and Okani gone, there's now nothing to show for the fourth recruiting class except Bekelja and Hima. But as we're going into year 6 of the coach's 7-year contract, I think that horse has left the barn. It's simply too late to wait for kids to develop and grow together as a team. They need more impact players on this roster who can make the team better next year, otherwise, this staff might not be back for the following year. Whether they can find such players is another question.

I don't disagree with this.  I just think on a team where 7-8 guys get regular minutes, Tyson would be an asset, not especially expendable.  Some players are impact players right away - others take more time.  I think Tyson would have grown into a nice role on the team without using a spot necessary to employ an impact player.

5/05/2022 6:46 am  #32

Tyson is heading to the MAC to play for Eastern Michigan.

5/05/2022 9:02 am  #33

Wish Tyson well there. It may be the absolute best thing for him in the long run. He just needs the opportunity to experience some success and to restore some possible lost confidence in himself IMO. I do also believe that he could have been a solid piece of the puzzle here had he stayed and been given the opportunity to get a bit more PT. I do feel the same about many of those players who departed for greener pastures. Truly hoping that Coach Joyce will be able to connect with players on a level that might have been missing here. Just speculation on my part. GO DUKES!

5/05/2022 10:50 am  #34

His minutes here would have been few.

5/05/2022 1:38 pm  #35

levon1975 wrote:

His minutes here would have been few.

No doubt!!

5/07/2022 10:00 am  #36

Styles1229 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I wouldn’t overreact to the transfers to this point. Tyson has some shooting ability but other than knocking down the occasional three; just didn’t bring that much to the table. He often seemed lost on the floor on defense, never seemed comfortable.

Tyson was one of the best defenders on the team and shot one of if not the best 3 percentage on the team.  It was only occasional because Dambrot didn't play him much.  Tyson was no star but his loss means he will be replaced by another player that does not know the defensive system and we've all seen how long it takes these guys to learn it.  You need guys like Tyson to stay in the program to, at the very least, provide stability.  It seems we've reached the point where, if a guy is not a star in his first 10-20 games of his college career the consensus is to replace him.  Tyson still has 3 years of eligibility!?! The best teams have guys sticking around and it pays dividends when they are juniors or seniors.  Look at Richmond, St Bonaventure etc.  

I don’t know what team you were watching; but outside of Tre Williams; I wouldn’t say anyone else including Acuff could be considered “good” defensively.

Board footera