Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2022 9:41 am  #1

No more excuses

As this season has finally come to a conclusion. I don’t want to really hear any of the following excuses for this coaching staff next year.
-Covid
-Transfer Portal
All coaches had to deal with these two issues. Some coaches that had the same time to build their programs as Dambrot, have been released from their jobs, with better records in the conference than Dambrot. LaSalle even had the ability to buy out their coach.
-Only have seven to eight players, the players are tired and can’t play an entire season with that short of a bench.
Most teams in the tournament as well as during the season only go seven or eight deep. Two teams in our conference basically played six players. St Bonaventure and Richmond and they accomplished way more than our Dukes.
-Pittsburgh is not a fertile recruiting area.
This is a two fold topic. 1st, Most schools are not located in fertile recruiting areas. The kids go to schools for a variety of reasons. The two most important are the success of the program and the relationship they have with the coaching staff. 2ndly I hear there is not any division one talent in the Pittsburgh area. I know we would have taken Tre Mitchell, Ethan Morton, Puff Johnson, Nelly Cummings in a heart beat. Plus there are a few more that are playing division 1 ball around the country that would be a welcoming addition to our squad compared to some of the kids that transferred out.
-We don’t have the talent to compete.
That problem rest entirely on the coaching staffs ability to judge talent and the teams needs. Retention of good players at our level also rest on the coaching staffs ability to form relationships with the players.
-Practice and playing facilities.
Everything is now updated. Put a winning program  on the floor and sell out the coop and we move the bigger games to PPG like most Big East teams have been doing for years.
No more lame duck excuses for this coaching staff. I hope he produces next season. (Which highly doubt). I have been his harshest and earliest critic, but here is to hoping he can turn things around. Until next year. I never comment on perspective recruits, because if I don’t see them in game action, to judge their ability or their competition it is basically useless to watch highlight reels. All players look good in them.

4/05/2022 9:57 am  #2

Re: No more excuses

You left out...
-Our players need more time to get used to playing with each other
-and please...we don't want to hear that you coached LeBron James any more!!!

4/05/2022 10:18 am  #3

AMEN!!!!

I always wonder what they do at practice that makes them so tired all the time, cause they aint tired from the games!!!   Like mentioned above, top teams have 7 man rotas and play into late March.   We have 2 games and guys are tired.   Does KD run a boot camp like the Marines?  :-)))  

Last edited by townsonkid (4/05/2022 10:19 am)

4/05/2022 11:12 am  #4

FAM wrote:

You left out...

Yes - thank you for this one as well.  I am so over hearing about LeBron from the past.  Its not like he has shown up to a game even.  

And I agree with ALL other points made.  The facilities are beautiful, everyone deals with portal.  We should be more competitive if we have 6-8 good players - not many teams go (10) deep.

Love this whole post!

4/07/2022 9:54 pm  #5

FAM wrote:

You left out...

Hey, I pointed out team chemistry last spring, when all those basketball experts who recently partook of the Kool-aid, told me to STFU, that I didn't know anything, and that this was indeed the most talented team Dambrot had assembled at Duquesne ever!

A lot of those posters seem to be pretty quiet these days!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/14/2022 10:06 am  #6

Maybe they got sick of the tone.

Anyone who doesn't think the current iteration of transfer portal didn't kill CBB for all but the blue bloods is on something spicy.

4/14/2022 2:20 pm  #7

Face wrote:

Maybe they got sick of the tone.

Anyone who doesn't think the current iteration of transfer portal didn't kill CBB for all but the blue bloods is on something spicy.

100% agree.  Why login to the board to read negative comments when I already felt awful about the season?  It's like kicking a dead horse.  That said, I do think some coaches have adjusted much better to the drastically changing landscape, and Dambrot has struggled here.  When his strategy used to be to load up on 4 year players, you obviously need to adjust that plan.  I think the average team is losing like 5-6 players a season to transfers now.  Hell, Pitt is getting like one player back!

Face, hope you are doing well!  We need to meet up for a game sometime soon!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera