Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2022 7:19 am  #1

PG:Craig Meyer Story “The decline & fall of Pitt basketball “

Can you imagine a similar story about Duquesne basketball 😱 such a story would be the equivalent to reading Tolstoys War & Peace.  Can you recall the people who have contributed to the Dukes 45 years without a bid to the Big Dance. Clearly any comments would constitute the longest thread in history regarded this board.

4/17/2022 9:43 am  #2

Re: PG:Craig Meyer Story “The decline & fall of Pitt basketball “

When Dambrot took over, and I (like many others foolishly) believed he would be the one to deliver us to the Promise Land, I knew that the Duquesne story would have had to have had its own "30 for 30" the year after we finally made the Big Dance.  What a tale, Chuck Cooper, actual championships in the 50s, Norm Nixon, a slew of great personalities, numerous failures and mis-steps on the way back to the mountain.

I could visualize some of the scenes and played with the dilalogue. One more reasons I am even more depressed that we WILL NEVER get back to being a top tier basketball program.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/18/2022 8:35 pm  #3

Ironduke81 wrote:

Can you imagine a similar story about Duquesne basketball 😱 such a story would be the equivalent to reading Tolstoys War & Peace.  Can you recall the people who have contributed to the Dukes 45 years without a bid to the Big Dance. Clearly any comments would constitute the longest thread in history regarded this board.

Man of Iron, terrific, I had to laugh when you mentioned war and Peace which is quite the saga... I was sort of thinking the same thing when I saw the article in the Post-Gazette about Pitt

4/19/2022 10:18 am  #4

Concerning Duquesne basketball, Decline and Fall is even more appropriate.
In the 25 years between 1948-49, when the AP rankings were initiated, and 1971-72, the last time the Dukes were ranked, the team overall played .686 ball. A few bad years, many fine ones, but .686 overall.
Between 1982-83, when Jim Satalin was hired to replace Mike Rice, and 2005-06, the end of the Danny Nee debacle, the Dukes played .320 ball. Those years of course included Scott Edgar, Darelle Porter and John Carroll, who did have one .567 year. 
From 2006-07 and the hiring of Ron Everhart through last season, the team has played .483 ball.
It is no puzzle why there are few Duquesne fans and why the small group that exists is old. 
In the past 50 years, the team has had fewer than 10 losses in a season three times, One of those was the COVID year, when it had nine. (And nine wins, too.)

Last edited by kneeguy (4/19/2022 10:19 am)

Board footera